Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Text Chat in Anthem? Maybe Not According to Creative Director - Anthem - MMORPG.com

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited July 2018
    No text chat = I won't play.

Some of us need to be able to play silently, and that's impossible using voice chat.
    Tsiyawandericainfomatz

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited July 2018

They will just extend the exemption.
    They only have five months to do that, this is going to be an issue for indie MMOs. People are having problems understanding how text to speech in a game chat channel can help a player who must already be able to see the game. This is the typical approach of such laws, one size fits all with little nuance when it comes to implementation.

If games do not get an extension to their exemption it may help cause the demise of text channels. I have seen many younger players question the need for text channels after Discord came along, this just feeds their arguments.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited July 2018
    Destiny 2 clone...  :-D

Post edited by Octagon7711 on
    [Deleted User]Xarko

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

It doesn't bother me. For a game like this it is not as big a deal as some make it seem. It is not an MMORPG after all. For the type of game it is? A co-op multiplayer play with friends kind of game? Not an issue for me. 

Agreed. I think most people here overestimate the need for chat. From my experience there isnt much to talk about in 4man co-op games, wierd as it may sound.

Take Vermintide for example. 4man co-op, teamwrok is a huge part of the game, it has a chat window, but with my 800 hours experience with the game I can tell you its only used to say 3 things. 1. hi, 2. gg, 3.shitposting.

Anthem being a console game Im sure it will be made so you can communicate important things without typing them out. That being said, Im also fairly certain it will be an absolute dogpile.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Darthturk said:

DMKano said:

Darthturk said:

FCC is forcing them to do text-to-speech? Who would that help, blind people?

It would help visually impaired - there are degrees of blindness you know, blindness is not complete lack of sight.

But if you are visually impaired to the point of needing text-to-speech how do you know what messages you want read out? Cant possible read everything being written out as it would never be able to keep up. It really seems unfeasable unless maybe its only group chat but even that could get "spammed".

There are probably filters. And "yes" you would get whatever that filter let through.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    What about the deaf? They game too. I don't voice chat in games where I don't know the players, and never will. As a female it opens me up to way too much harassment. Things may have changed over the past couple of years but I doubt it.
    MrMelGibsonkitaradLokero

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Just looking for something else to cut out to make the game cheaper to produce imo.  And if it works expect to see no chat in a lot of other games. 
    Scot

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808
    Wow, if games have to support that in the future I'm legitimately worried about future MMOs and other games having a chat based system. Seems like an awful thing required of games.
    I like to complain about games.
  • etharnetharn Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Boo! Bad move.

A man who fears nothing is a man who loves nothing; and if you love nothing, what joy is there in your life?

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited July 2018
    Ridrith said:
    Wow, if games have to support that in the future I'm legitimately worried about future MMOs and other games having a chat based system. Seems like an awful thing required of games.
    You’d be surprised. I do all the certifications for our hardware products at work and by far the FCC certs are the biggest pain in the ass. Even NTC is easier. The paperwork is insane. 

EDIT: I should also note that you never know what the cert bodies will latch onto, sometimes it’s the most trivial thing. And if you piss them off they’ll make your life a living hell. 
    Scot[Deleted User]mmolou

Ridrith said:
    You’d be surprised. I do all the certifications for our hardware products at work and by far the FCC certs are the biggest pain in the ass. Even NTC is easier. The paperwork is insane. 

EDIT: I should also note that you never know what the cert bodies will latch onto, sometimes it’s the most trivial thing. And if you piss them off they’ll make your life a living hell. 
    Here is my advice for dealing with such bodies: they justify their existence by finding something wrong in what you do. They keep looking until they find something, so leave something for them to find. Something simple that will be easy to correct, then they can pat themselves on the back about the great job they are doing. 
    Scot said:
    Ridrith said:

Here is my advice for dealing with such bodies: they justify their existence by finding something wrong in what you do. They keep looking until they find something, so leave something for them to find. Something simple that will be easy to correct, then they can pat themselves on the back about the great job they are doing. 
    That is a recipe for disaster when you have half a mil in dev costs. 

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Tsiya said:
    What about the deaf? They game too. I don't voice chat in games where I don't know the players, and never will. As a female it opens me up to way too much harassment. Things may have changed over the past couple of years but I doubt it.
    My wife is the same.  The few times she has come into discord was with online friends we game with.  Never with strangers.  In some games she has played as male just to avoid that type of attention I suppose.
  • TharjaTharja Member CommonPosts: 4
    Well this is stupid. I am deaf... so I can't even communicate with anyone in this >_<
    Tharja said:
    Well this is stupid. I am deaf... so I can't even communicate with anyone in this >_<
    Welcome to the boards!

Games often have issues at launch, wait until they introduce text chat, I really can't see them still not having it a few months after launch.
    edited July 2018
    Scot said:
    Ridrith said:

It does occur to me that is maybe best to not talk about such things, you do whatever you feel you need to. :)
    edited July 2018
    Scot said:
    Scot said:
    Ridrith said:

It does occur to me that is maybe best to not talk about such things, you do whatever you feel you need to. :)
    As distasteful as it may be. In 100% of the cases, they have you by the balls and as I said before, can make your life a living hell.

Several years ago, I was getting radiation testing done on the WiFi chips in some of our units and they didn't like how I completed the paperwork and after resubmitting, they invalidated the whole thing and made me start over...and pay for it a second time. Another $20k. Another 12-week delay. Frustrating.
    Scot

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Of all the things I've wished Destiny/Destiny 2 had, I can't say as text chat is anywhere on the list, I tend to doubt its lack will do Anthem any harm -- arguably the opposite.

Even in most MMOs or MMO-lites that do have text chat (Warframe and Defiance come to mind) one of the first things I end up doing is pruning or outright turning off text chat. Such a vanishingly small percentage of it is useful and such a massive percentage shitposting that there seems little to no downside to not having it at all.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    If there are other people in the game, but you can't communicate with them, how do you know they're actually other people and not bots? That would basically turn Anthem into a single player game that requires an Internet connection for DRM reasons.
    Scot
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    The lack of text chat is my number one complaint with Destiny 2. Nothing makes it feel more 'console limited' than no proper text chat. Also screams cheap development to me.
    Octagon7711
    Quizzical said:
    If there are other people in the game, but you can't communicate with them, how do you know they're actually other people and not bots? That would basically turn Anthem into a single player game that requires an Internet connection for DRM reasons.
    If this alone does not raise some warning flags what will?
    Octagon7711
  • RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    WTF EA and Bioware? Have you not learned from your own mistakes and those that others have made? I was hoping that the mistakes of the past would be corrected in a game and franchise that looks very promising.....guess I had my hopes up too high for EA to do something that actually is known to work, should have been in the game from the beginning, and not take the cheap road. I had high hopes for this game and was waiting for it as I am NOT getting the new Battlefield as I am done with the series and their money grab for crap play.
  • WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495
    Quasi-MMO. It's like the Diet Coke of MMOs.
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Quizzical said:
    If there are other people in the game, but you can't communicate with them, how do you know they're actually other people and not bots?
    Bots would probably play a lot better...

Personally I wouldn't care if they were bots, but in Destiny you're never going to mistake another player for an NPC when you're out in the world. Which is more than I can say for some MMOs (*cough*GW2*cough*).

When I'm playing Destiny/Destiny 2, The Division, Warframe, or whatever, if any of my friend are on we're on voice chat, beyond that it has been a very long time indeed since I had the need or desire to communicate with randos.

Far too many years of MMO experience has taught me that text chat is inevitably some version of Barrens Chat or worse -- generally much worse -- and as an older woman I have no time or patience for the infantile crap I've run into every time I've been in voice chat with people I didn't already know.

I don't really care if a game has it or not, as long as I can turn it off if I wish to, but overall I tend to see no text chat as a plus, not a minus.

I suspect my feelings there are a lot more common than the old school get-off-my-lawn denizens of this site realize.