Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would make a proper UO 2.0?

I read a lot of comments about how recent attempts to make a modern UO have failed to do so, so I'm curious. What about them makes them fail as a successor to UO (aside from not actually being UO2.0)? Also, what in your opinion are the most important ingredients?

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited July 2018
    never played UO myself, but i've played MO a ton and i've heard there are a lot of similarities. personally i absolutely loved MO and would still be playing if they just had managed to successfully remove bugs, controlled cheating and stabilized the server. 
    in the end the most important aspect of a sandbox mmo like that is the community. interacting with the same people. creating long lasting guilds and friendships. having allies and rival guilds. holding the same lands for years. having a reputation across the server and bitter enemies. in MO's case the community was incredibly tight knit even if a bit psychotic at times. still to this day, that is what i remember the most. 

personally i don't think you can "bring back" UO, simply because its a different generation playing video games. the expectations for games now are stratospheric. even young gamers these days have played everything under the sun, and have years and years of heavy gaming experience. it is incredibly hard to hold their attention even if the game is perfect. this ADD mentality unfortunately creates a lot of dissatisfaction (cause no matter how much you change and consume you are never happy) and this creates an exceeding large amount of angry, rude and abusive gamers. such gamers simply cannot build pleasant gaming communities. so eventually, the more the game is addicting (anything good easily becomes addictive), the more toxic it's community becomes. its  a vicious circle. 

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. same goes for games. it is not the games that have become worse (on the contrary games have become works of art), it is us that have changed how we look at them. 

Clutch586
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited July 2018
     There are so many reasons , would take a long time here , but ill try to keep it brief ..

First ..I just logged out of UO not 5 minutes ago , playing a new toon , and still to this day the sense of danger is real , When you enter E Brit woods for ex .. The danger is real not just from Players but equally dangerous from the PVE , was bit by a snake while chopping trees and nearly died from the poison , then an Ogre came into the area , this is a near sure way to die if your not careful , But if you wanted to work your Archery Skill , a great oppurtunity , just dont get hit while Kiting it  and be very aware of your surroundings ..

The Risk/Reward factor is only matched by Eve ...

while chopping im also working my hiding skill , fletchery, Lumberjacking , while working STR/DRx/Int to where i want to get them , During combat Anatony/Archery/Sward/Healing/Parry/Magery/Tactics all being worked , There is a real sense of Character/class progression as you shape your class, all these skills and attributes interworking with one another ..

Next fauna and atmosphere .. UO feels alive , with wildlife and Fauna, a mistake that all these others ,have omitted .. Yes i have played them all or currently am ..

Third UO still has more player activities than any other MMORPG out to date .. Its not even close ..

The vast array of skill combination that can be experimented with are always interesting and FUN ...

The world itself is full of mystery and danger , as you explore and progress ...

The sounds in UO are really well done .. The sound of a Lich while you walk thru the woods will still make you stop dead in your tracks and locate it asap , or die... The RUN! of an Ettin , the wooosssssh of an Elly , and the never gets old Thunk Bak baaaak as you shoot that chicken ...the unmisatble simple clipping of scissors as someone works there tailoring , The sound of the pen on paper as Inscritption is being worked .. Etc ..

But all the really need to do imo is Upgrade the engine , to something that is the realm of Grim Dawn and the UI could still use some improvements , otherwise , dont change a thing .. Its perfect
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    There was a UO 2.  Died in development.  In respect for the defunct project, can we go with UO 3 instead?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Rather have SWG remade in a fantasy setting.
    anemo
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Well, I guess many would say that SWG was essentially UO 2.0, though that's a different setting.

The big problem is that every time someone attempts to build one of these games it gets cancelled or is a laughable shell of a game with an empty world... 
    <Dear devs: it's not a sandbox unless there is sand and buckets.>

WISH would have been the next take on UO, but it got canned in beta suddenly(and I do mean suddenly).  Apparently, they didn't think the success of the game-type was viable financially.  Maybe back then it wasn't.
    But, now, those types of games are pretty desired and no one remembers how to make them anymore apparently, heh.

It's clear from the survival genre rush, etc., that people want the sandbox type games, but there's just not enough money and interest being pushed into the MMO market, I suppose.  That, and as I mentioned, the so called "sandbox" games we've seen being announced/developed have all been empty shells relying 100% on PvP deathmatch style gameplay.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    edited July 2018
    Lokero said:
    Well, I guess many would say that SWG was essentially UO 2.0, though that's a different setting.

The big problem is that every time someone attempts to build one of these games it gets cancelled or is a laughable shell of a game with an empty world... 
    <Dear devs: it's not a sandbox unless there is sand and buckets.>

WISH would have been the next take on UO, but it got canned in beta suddenly(and I do mean suddenly).  Apparently, they didn't think the success of the game-type was viable financially.  Maybe back then it wasn't.
    But, now, those types of games are pretty desired and no one remembers how to make them anymore apparently, heh.

It's clear from the survival genre rush, etc., that people want the sandbox type games, but there's just not enough money and interest being pushed into the MMO market, I suppose.  That, and as I mentioned, the so called "sandbox" games we've seen being announced/developed have all been empty shells relying 100% on PvP deathmatch style gameplay.
    Sadly I think any real attempt will be the next Archeage or a crackpot amatuer hour kickstarter.
  • WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited July 2018
    - Open world without instances or phasing or zoning.
    - Skill based character development without any forced classes.
    - A lot of interaction with the world and the items in it, realistically done (for instance, mounts don't just come out of your backpack).

That would be my TOP 3 for a worthy successor.
    ^ yes

updated graphics with minimal pop in
    over 600-700 skill cap, maybe 900~1200 with slow progression
    a proper fantasy OST by orchestra+
    proper fantasy lore along with sandbox capability w/ player made events (global indication area)
    updated and rare dyes, hues, pets, craftable items, stealable items, crafting system (valorite+)
    more areas like Doom with higher difficulty, better rewards (risk vs reward)

keep the function where you can destroy a dead person's armor and take their head -- giving them the scraps of leather, etc.

• LuftwaffenLuftwaffen Member UncommonPosts: 101
     for me the biggest things every mmo since UO has failed on is simple ,  skill based char development instead of lvling ,  persistent world NO instanced dungeons ,homes etc , REAL housing  and real risk vs reward  UO was so much more than either  a PVP game or a PvE game  it was about the only game to come close to doing BOTH right, before they ruined the game with trammel  and the biggest thing is freedom !  simple stuff like letting guilds war each other if both sides agree  , sparing for skill with guildmates instead of grinding on monsters … to this day no mmo comes close to the stuff you could do in UO 
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    I'd be okay with the same set-up structure just with better graphics and a new world to explore. 

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    EA brass killed UO2.  Same as it ever was.....

UO3 without some sort of Trammell design  would fail or be a mighty small playpen.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• kayidokayido Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Freedom :

Open world , PvE and open PvP . Guild warfare .Not taking you by the hand.
    Exploration , discover secrets and ressources. Role play communities  , or not .

You can be a ghost  ! Ive seen people playing only as ghost just to have fun .

Diversed skillsets and no classes , make it YOUR way :

Skill based  progression; want to be a mage who herd sheep , tailor and swing an axe ? Sure thing !  You want to be a thief and be a plain ass , why not . You just want to do mischief and poison food , leaving it in open area and watch noob dies, well you can !

Limited skills and stats , make you plan and build your personal character build.

Crafting and economy

You can be only a crafter if your want  !! Multiple crafting and gathering skills ,  player driven economy . Spam message in front of the banks to sell things and Have personal vendors !

Mastercrafted items with you name on , hell yeah ! Every theif and player killer will wonder who is this mysterious crafter they keep getting their weapons and armor from . 

Bulk orders , work and complete orders for npcs and get rewards ! 

Other things : 

Personal housing / custom housing , guild housing .
    Ships, treasure hunting , tamables.
    Collect special events items , collection items, rares  .
    Begging and camping are skills , albeit very useless ones !

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    UO with 3d graphics would be the place to start I think.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    One of the greatest things about UO is that everyone kinda played it differently. It felt like a real world where just about anything could happen. You could also do almost anything you put your mind to. Back then though, there were different expectations of what should come with a game, and design wise, was way ahead of its time. 

One of the things I always mention when discussing UO, was the thieving system. Very hard to do in a game today, I think. Too many couldn't handle it. But you would have to make items valuable enough to steal, yet easy enough to replace. 

Legends of Aria is really aspiring to be the next UO. However, there's another group making a custom server within LoA trying to replicate the UO experience. Both are worth checking out.
    Luftwaffen