Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to Pokemon Go?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
What happened to the sensation that was Pokémon Go?  Did the millions of kids and millennials who played it lose interest after a month?  Does anyone still play?  I heard about it non-stop for a bit, then total silence.

Comments

• MarnedMarned Member CommonPosts: 1
    It was just a HYIP
    my favourite site here
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Seems to be doing alright. Was an article on this site posted a couple days after the OP: https://www.mmorpg.com/pokemon-go/news/speaking-of-nianticpokemon-go-has-generated-18-billion-since-launch-1000049096

excerpt:
     Sensor Tower estimates that worldwide daily revenue generated is in the vicinity of $2M per day.

azarhal

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    What happened to the sensation that was Pokémon Go?  Did the millions of kids and millennials who played it lose interest after a month?  Does anyone still play?  I heard about it non-stop for a bit, then total silence.
    That's a weird way of wording who plays it. Why not just the millions of people who played it, why Kids and Millennials? 

To answer the question, the game is still doing extremely well on both App stores. I see raids happening sometimes around where I work, where groups of people are hanging out playing. 

I started playing it again last week, and it's been pretty fun to mess around in. 
    MrMelGibsonConstantineMerus
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Still playing, never stopped.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    It's actually doing very well even though the company keeps shooting itself in the foot.  They keep trying to do real world events which go bad and then they over compensate and make the events worthless.  Other than that they have actually added a lot of features to the game.  Sometimes when I do my daily walks I will open it up sometimes.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    They just had their national hunt in Chicago last weekend and reported it was a success with adding extra cell towers.  I've read somewhere the game still brings in a ton of money.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    It has carried on making lots of money - just not as fast as it did in its first 100 days. There was an article recently

https://www.mmorpg.com/pokemon-go/news/speaking-of-nianticpokemon-go-has-generated-18-billion-since-launch-1000049096

OK it links to an estimate but considering how fast it made its first billion it is probably in the ballpark.
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Everybody got hit by cars and shot for trespassing.

Just as some predicted
    JamesGoblinScotQuizzicalBarrikorRenoakuAllerleirauh
  • aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620
    I play off and on still when I am with a group of friends who still play. The game is still being updated and going strong. Lots of new content and features since launch, and many of the bugs have been addressed/fixed. Raids are kind of fun, and I see large groups still doing them together, overall yea, I would say its doing fine. 

When I am alone, I play The Walking Dead "Our World" instead, but in groups, we still play Pokemon Go. Just waiting to see how the Harry Potter one will turn out.
  • RofusEURofusEU Member UncommonPosts: 58
    IMO Ingress was way better as a game. Pokémon Go is just riding with the franchise.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    It made enough money to buy a small planet.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited July 2018
    Marned said:
    It was just a HYIP
    Welcome to the boards!

Yes it was hype, until it took off and they did not need to spend any more money promoting it. Still making lots of dosh, but not the new cultural phenomenon that would start of a whole new wave of gameplay as was touted by everyone from gaming to mainstream news journalists. :)
    Post edited by Scot on
  • cornicebignumcornicebignum Member CommonPosts: 6
    To me, it's only as fun as the people you have to play with. And like op said, about a month after release all my friends stopped playing, so I didn't really feel any need to continue.
    Great while it lasted, but could've been a lot better.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Think it was a case of mass burnout, people just played it so much. Seen some still play it, but most don't anymore. It's not for bad reasons, just typical excessive game playing and for people who don't play video games often, a month or so is really good. 
  • ChimborazoChimborazo Member UncommonPosts: 146
    When it came out here there was a lot of fuzz, especially among people who are just sporadic "gamers". Lasted a month, never heard of it again.
    Currently on: Guild Wars 2
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited July 2018
    When it came out here there was a lot of fuzz, especially among people who are just sporadic "gamers". Lasted a month, never heard of it again.
    Oh it was all about being a game for non-gamers, you game outside, you use your smartphone, it had augmented reality. It shouted social phenomena, not sure how much good gameplay there was.

Hardly surprising that sort of gaming, among people who are not keen gamers failed to deliver a new way of gaming. Still made tons of profit though, with the right IP and a similar sort of gameplay we could see it all happening again.
    Chimborazo
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Played for a few days then quit. My girlfriend is all about it though
  • ChimborazoChimborazo Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Scot said:
    Oh it was all about being a game for non-gamers, you game outside, you use your smartphone, it had augmented reality. It shouted social phenomena, not sure how much good gameplay there was.

Hardly surprising that sort of gaming, among people who are not keen gamers failed to deliver a new way of gaming. Still made tons of profit though, with the right IP and a similar sort of gameplay we could see it all happening again.
    Never played it myself, just observed other friends playing. First, it had similar problems to old pokemon games: a lot of trash pokemons around with no purpose.
    Second, it lacked any sort of real combat, even the (imho) kinda shitty system of the Nintendo games.
    Scot
    Currently on: Guild Wars 2
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Wasn't there just an article boasting about how much money Pokemon Go is making?
  • cornicebignumcornicebignum Member CommonPosts: 6
    OP just wondered why he isn't hearing about Pokemon Go anymore. Just because they're earning buckets of money, doesn't mean that everyone and their mom is still playing it. Good for them though for still going strong.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    it is ok... you will find something else to snark at... 

Afterall.. why pay for marketing when there is no need. In fact the new Pokeon: Pikachu/Evee probably injectedall the renewed intreset needed... also the fact that it is summer in Europe

This have been a good conversation

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    What the gaming press won't tell you is that 3/4 of the Pokemon Go player base suffered massive coronary's. The sudden onset of psychical activity decimated the fan base. Rumor has it a Pokemon Go basement edition is in the works.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• guru_rpgguru_rpg Member CommonPosts: 3
    edited July 2018
    Personally I Never played it myself, just watching others playing
    the game is still famous on App stores. Time to time , raids are happenning  on the street, where young people haging out playing this original game.

CCleanerHappy WheelsVLC
    Post edited by guru_rpg on
  • Tatsuya9411Tatsuya9411 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    i stopped caring for it the moment it turned out to be some shitty AR game instead of some actual pokemon style game, but then again what did we even expected from Nintendo?
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Still making a killing last I heard. Nothing like at launch but still a crap ton of money.

I tried it for 10 minutes, felt like a freak and promptly removed it from my mobile.
    [Deleted User]
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.