Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hunger for performance

ChimborazoChimborazo Member UncommonPosts: 146
I find myself quite different from the vast majority of the "gamers" community when it comes to pc hardware, graphical settings and performance: I feel that, in this time, you can achieve a great level of graphical details and performance with medium-to-low hardware. With high end hardware, the results are noticeable BUT not life changhing and after you're immerged in a good 3D game in Full HD, I stop paying much attentions to details. Still, people keep spending a lot of money on new products. I have the same approach to many things in life (TV, cars etc). What's your position in the system?
Currently on: Guild Wars 2

Comments

• blacksirenblacksiren Member CommonPosts: 2
    I can feel what you are actually trying to tell. I am a gamer too, and i have to get precise things for my gaming. And for that Reecoupons gives you an exciting deal for school shopping.
    Chimborazo
  • ChimborazoChimborazo Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Gorwe said:
    I find myself quite different from the vast majority of the "gamers" community when it comes to pc hardware, graphical settings and performance: I feel that, in this time, you can achieve a great level of graphical details and performance with medium-to-low hardware. With high end hardware, the results are noticeable BUT not life changhing and after you're immerged in a good 3D game in Full HD, I stop paying much attentions to details. Still, people keep spending a lot of money on new products. I have the same approach to many things in life (TV, cars etc). What's your position in the system?
    The following "rule" applies: "What's going to give me optimal performance for the longest time at the most affordable cost gets purchased". I don't really need Anti-Aliasing or such things. And I tend to save on such settings so I can maximize those that really matter / change the look of the game(like Shadows or Texture Quality). It applies to other things in my life as well(hell, even persons). Reliability ~> Longevity > Else.
    I think the discussion should be around what "optimal" means.
    In the last year, Technical progress had not the same impact on me like it used to have:
    On the pc side, I bought a ryzen 1500x / 16 gb ram ddr4 / 250 gb SSD and rx 570 pulse 4gb with a full HD 24 " monitor: I don't see how I would need anything more!

Smartphones even more: used to be a big enthusiast, now I'm seeing new models that cost more and more without having any significative improvement. I bought a Huawei P9 lite for less than 200 €, and screen resolution is still pointlessly high and I would've survived with "only" 2 Gb of RAM

TV screen: I renounced to the whole living room! 
    When I lived with my parents we had 2 TV screens in the house and I've almost never used those from 16 to 25. I didn't like the idea "cable" programs and boundaries, the process of moving a good film from the pc to the TV wasn't easy and the TVs in the evening were usually occupied by my parents.
    Right before moving out, I was planning to build a good living room with 4k oled TV and speakers and stuff like that... Until I realized that I had been watching tons of movies and TVs series from  full HD screens and earphones for a very long time and you know what? I enjoyed them a lot, cause the core experience was very much there. I realized I already needed to set a corner with pc and desk and I were going to keep watching movies on my PC, saving thousands of € in the process! 

Gorwe
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:
    The following "rule" applies: "What's going to give me optimal performance for the longest time at the most affordable cost gets purchased". I don't really need Anti-Aliasing or such things. And I tend to save on such settings so I can maximize those that really matter / change the look of the game(like Shadows or Texture Quality). It applies to other things in my life as well(hell, even persons). Reliability ~> Longevity > Else.
    I think the discussion should be around what "optimal" means.
    In the last year, Technical progress had not the same impact on me like it used to have:
    On the pc side, I bought a ryzen 1500x / 16 gb ram ddr4 / 250 gb SSD and rx 570 pulse 4gb with a full HD 24 " monitor: I don't see how I would need anything more!

Smartphones even more: used to be a big enthusiast, now I'm seeing new models that cost more and more without having any significative improvement. I bought a Huawei P9 lite for less than 200 €, and screen resolution is still pointlessly high and I would've survived with "only" 2 Gb of RAM

TV screen: I renounced to the whole living room! 
    When I lived with my parents we had 2 TV screens in the house and I've almost never used those from 16 to 25. I didn't like the idea "cable" programs and boundaries, the process of moving a good film from the pc to the TV wasn't easy and the TVs in the evening were usually occupied by my parents.
    Right before moving out, I was planning to build a good living room with 4k oled TV and speakers and stuff like that... Until I realized that I had been watching tons of movies and TVs series from  full HD screens and earphones for a very long time and you know what? I enjoyed them a lot, cause the core experience was very much there. I realized I already needed to set a corner with pc and desk and I were going to keep watching movies on my PC, saving thousands of € in the process! 

The PC you bought would be optimal. Sure, it could be better, but it's very workable and will most likely last for 3+ years. That's how I purchase things. But I agree that "optimal" isn't really defined.
    I think more than 3 years, unless they come up with a REAL game / changing technology, cause right now I'm not interested in 144hz, 4k or uber high end graphic details... 
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited July 2018
    4K,IPS panels, and OLED make a difference. 4K monitors are also affordable. The only issue is the hardware to play games in 4K. You can still get the monitor and enjoy 4K content outside of games, then play games at 1080p.
    Cleffy said:
    4K,IPS panels, and OLED make a difference. 4K monitors are also affordable. The only issue is the hardware to play games in 4K. You can still get the monitor and enjoy 4K content outside of games, then play games at 1080p.
    Once you get used to them, it may be hard to go back. But if you stay away and avoid spending couple thousands € on a PC, I feel you can enjoy content well enough