Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Around the Verse - Rebel Yela - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

Comments

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    MaxBacon said:
    Slapshot1188 said:
    You left out the part where the parent tells the kids its another 30 minutes and it's now 3 months later and they are still on the road. So at some point you do have to sympathize with the kids and think there is something wrong with the parents who must be lost and driving in circles.  
    Well, the "parents" here aren't lost or driving in circles, they are just driving slowly.
    That is a matter of opinion.
    goobsnews

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

DAS1337 said:

And every single person who bashed it will be playing it. And it will be glorious.

I personally don't believe they'll ever get their hacked engine properly optimized. but they can keep trying
    goobsnews
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    postlarval said:
    That is a matter of opinion.
    Not really just a matter of people who are informed, the progress they show on the direction the game is going for is undeniable, the complaint is that "it's taking too long", so it's because it's going slow, not because they're lost or going in circles, as their past updates show it.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited July 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    Slapshot1188 said:
    You left out the part where the parent tells the kids its another 30 minutes and it's now 3 months later and they are still on the road. So at some point you do have to sympathize with the kids and think there is something wrong with the parents who must be lost and driving in circles.  
    Well, the "parents" here aren't lost or driving in circles, they are just driving slowly.
    Even if I accept that point (which I don't), it's not the kids fault that the parents keep giving them wrong estimates and then constantly move the goalpost.

If I get an an uber and they tell me it will be 30 minutes to get somewhere, and it's 6 hours later... yes I am going to ask the driver WTF is going on... and if I do it every 5 minutes tough shit.

Do not confuse kids complaining about a 90 minute ride taking 90 minutes with people complaining that a ride that was supposed to take 90 minutes as taken weeks with no end in sight.  There is no excuse for running this far late and trying to shift blame to people complaining about the delay is wrong.   CR cannot change the past and needs to move forward but he (and the defending fans) need to acknowledge that people are NOT WRONG for complaining about the ridiculous delays.

kenguru23goobsnewsKefo

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Even if I accept that point (which I don't), it's not the kids fault that the parents keep giving them wrong estimates and then constantly move the goalpost.

If I get an an uber and they tell me it will be 30 minutes to get somewhere, and it's 6 hours later... yes I am going to ask the driver WTF is going on... and if I do it every 5 minutes tough shit.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen Things are clear enough as for what the direction is, and what the progress is, the past updates of the game have released in the scheduled time and the feature-sets are updated constantly and provide higher accuracy as to what to expect. So I'm not sure why keep slandering them, they surely failed hugely with estimates and all before, but now communication has improved and is quite more transparent.
  • ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283
    imo, they are more interested in selling shiny gleamy spaceships as it makes more money than the actual game itself..., really why launch the game and earn $60 per copy when they can sell a spaceship between 200-1k+!!!
    pantarogoobsnewspostlarvalKefo
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    MaxBacon said:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen Things are clear enough as for what the direction is, and what the progress is, the past updates of the game have released in the scheduled time and the feature-sets are updated constantly and provide higher accuracy as to what to expect. So I'm not sure why keep slandering them, they surely failed hugely with estimates and all before, but now communication has improved and is quite more transparent.
    I was adding to my response while you posted.

Again-  The fault for delays is 100% on the developer.  There is absolutely no portion that is allocated to the customer. Zero percent.  If you think what I posted was "slander" then you need to go learn it's meaning because you have utterly misused it.

Kefo

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Erillion said:
    I always smile when the "scam" and "vaporware" argument comes up. I have been playing and  enjoying that "vaporware" for years now  ;-) And read and watched hundreds (thousands ?) of videos and articles about the development - lot of work for a scam  :-D 

Have fun
    While I'm not questioning if SC is a scam or not, the project undoubtedly has a lot in common with big scams that happened throughout the history. Of course it doesn't mean it's a scam. I'm just saying that huge scams do require a lot of work, money, positive press involved and they can operate for years or even for decades till the truth unfolds.

To name just a recent well known example the multi-billion dollar Silicon Valley startup Theranos was able to convince the press, the authorities, investors, experts, politicians and the public in general that they had a working technology that could revolutionize a whole industry however despite all their hard work and all the hype surrounding Elizabeth Holmes the whole thing ended up unfolding as an unbelievably huge scam.

Also scammers usually start off by playing the haters, naysayers, jealous competitors cards to make their victims immune to warning signals and to make ALL negative criticism find deaf ears among their believers.

I do think that Chris Roberts believes in this enormous project but I think that he's been making a lot of unnecessary and trivial communication errors that harmed the potential growth of SC's  supporting community and they mostly have to rely on existing backers to secure the costs of their operation.

Last time I saw him in a Q&A he explained why he had no idea about SQ42's expected launch date and he tried to appear to be an outsider who understanded the emotional behavior of the game's developers who tried to avoid negative criticism caused by a potentially rushed launch. As if he wasn't aware of the state of the game at all he basically pushed all the responsibilities on SQ42's devs. Some might find this type of communication appealing but I'm sure many of us find his seemingly emotionally manipulative approach and his relation to his devs worrisome. After all he can't act like an outsider or a backer but a guy responsible for the outcome of this huge development. He does behave like a child sometimes and I can't even tell if he's serious or not anymore. Again I do think he believes in what he does. I just can't trust him and CIG.
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Well if they stop adding content that doesn't really add to the "core" game maybe they'll have a beta by sometime 4Q 2020. Because if he continues to add "features" and wants it all to be rdy to go, maybe 2023-2025? But I have very little in this project, so those who invested significately, may you eventually get the game you are hoping for.
    Jamar870 said:
    Well if they stop adding content that doesn't really add to the "core" game maybe they'll have a beta by sometime 4Q 2020.
    Why? It sells.

Wrap dog shit in a Star Citizen logo and MaxBacon will buy it sight unseen. That's the type of person they're dealing with. It's a goldmine for Roberts.
    XarkoDarkpigeonMaxBaconKefo

• ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315
    I have listened to both sides of the argument for a few years now. It is hard to side with the wait and see crowd because the game is taking in money with no release date set. You have to question some things when you see the amount of money made and staff and no retail game has been released.

I just have lost almost all interest in the game outside of seeing what new shiny people are willing to spend on for the game.

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    If CR and SG take the money and run this will be the end of pc gaming as we know it, you can take that prediction to the bank.
    DarkpigeonScotchUp
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    edited July 2018
    Why? It sells.

Wrap dog shit in a Star Citizen logo and MaxBacon will buy it sight unseen. That's the type of person they're dealing with. It's a goldmine for Roberts.
    See you exemplify the problem with obsessive hating, the reality gap, you want so much to discredit SC that you can't bring yourself to admit that the generality of the backers of this game enjoy and like the progress the project keeps showing... It is not the generality of the SC backers who are blind @postlarval, it is you, maybe one day I'll see you having a discussion about SC that isn't ridden by hyperbole.
    MaxBacon said:
    Why? It sells.

See you exemplify the problem with obsessive hating, the reality gap, you want so much to hate and discredit SC that you can't bring yourself to admit that the generality of the backers of this game enjoy and like the progress the project keeps showing... It is not the generality of the SC backers who are blind @postlarval, it is you, maybe one day I'll see you having a discussion about SC that isn't ridden by hyperbole.
    Cry some more. You know you would buy it.

edited July 2018
    Hate some more, you know you'll end up buying it ;)
    Erillion
    MaxBacon said:
    Hate some more, you know you'll end up buying it ;)
    Not a chance and you can thank Richard Garriott for that. He showed me what a scam looks like and SC not only looks like one, it smells like it too.

Not a chance and you can thank Richard Garriott for that. He showed me what a scam looks like and SC not only looks like one, it smells like it too.
    Your hyperbole level is through the roof \o/
    But whatever, keep living on your reality bubble.
    MaxBacon said:
    Thanks, I will. At least my bubble is based, as you say, in reality. What’s yours based on, unicorns and rainbows?

Thanks, I will. At least my bubble is based, as you say, in reality. What’s yours based on, unicorns and rainbows?
    It's based on a magical process called game development. ^^
    postlarval
  • ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Same ones go after anyone that has issues with this game coming out. It's an MMO, no it's not an MMO. Sandi Garder is a stage name for acting, her real name is Sandi Roberts just FYI. The game has been stuck in alpha for years now, yet using the numbering system that would show more a beta than an alpha. Major developers have left and replaced with what we in gaming normally call newbies. But let's ignore all that and the game is developing fine. The real thing we should be able to know, is how much of there soon to be 200M is still available for development?
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    MaxBacon said:
    Having fun with friends in the Star Citizen Alpha.

Have fun
    ScotchUp said:
    Same ones go after anyone that has issues with this game coming out. It's an MMO, no it's not an MMO. Sandi Garder is a stage name for acting, her real name is Sandi Roberts just FYI.

--> Welcome to 2013. Got some more "news" ?

The game has been stuck in alpha for years now,

--> It is in Alpha, but it is not "stuck" as you would see if you would check out the regular patches coming out.

yet using the numbering system that would show more a beta than an alpha. Major developers have left and replaced with what we in gaming normally call newbies.

--> And you forget to mention that other great devs have joined in the meantime, some of them the best grafic engine creators in the world. So many, that CIG created a whole new studio for them in Germany.

--> And let us not forget that they added ANOTHER group in UK, together with the worldwide best mo-cap actor/creator (Andy Serkis) and his company.

But let's ignore all that and the game is developing fine. The real thing we should be able to know, is how much of there soon to be 200M is still available for development?

--> No one outside the CIG management and finance department knows. But you can make an educated guess. 10.000 dollar per month per developer is an old industry "rule of thumb". Times the number of developers at certain stages in the development (starting with under 10 in 2012 to around 500 in 2018). Plus a few million for mocap filming. Minus a few million for tax breaks in the UK and Germany.

--> Have fun

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Erillion said:

--> No one outside the CIG management and finance department knows. But you can make an educated guess. 10.000 dollar per month per developer is an old industry "rule of thumb". Times the number of developers at certain stages in the development (starting with under 10 in 2012 to around 500 in 2018). Plus a few million for mocap filming. Minus a few million for tax breaks in the UK and Germany. 

Careful now, people will be around yelling 90 days tops if you say things like this... :)

A number mashup for how much they have spent based on the $10k per month rule.
    • 2012 10
    • 2013: 48
    • 2014: 161
    • 2015: 258
    • 2016: 363
    • 2017: 457
    • 2018: 500
    Total number of employees for the above period is 1797 multiplied by $120k equals $215.6 million, minus $30 million because we're only halfway through 2018 equals $185.6 million

Caveat: This is in no way a definitive figure.

There are many, many variables that could make it more, or less. No-one bar CIG knows the true costs but as Erillion said, it is an informed guess based on the industry's rule of thumb and reasonably well supported by Foundry 42's financials.
  • ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Erillion said:

Careful now, people will be around yelling 90 days tops if you say things like this... :)

A number mashup for how much they have spent based on the $10k per month rule.
    • 2012 10
    • 2013: 48
    • 2014: 161
    • 2015: 258
    • 2016: 363
    • 2017: 457
    • 2018: 500
    Total number of employees for the above period is 1797 multiplied by $120k equals $215.6 million, minus $30 million because we're only halfway through 2018 equals $185.6 million

Caveat: This is in no way a definitive figure.

There are many, many variables that could make it more, or less. No-one bar CIG knows the true costs but as Erillion said, it is an informed guess based on the industry's rule of thumb and reasonably well supported by Foundry 42's financials.
    I disagree if we would only go by what Roberts has stated through the years, add up statements on how he went for outside funding, more major jpg sales and of course the 27k sale which too any financial accountant would say the majority of the crowdfunding cash is just about depleted. Then you look at how many major developers have departed company replaced with fresh developers just graduating, then we can also say Roberts has clearly been making payroll manageable to keep the dream running.  

I still haven't heard if they paid that Government UK loan yet? If they didn't then we can safely say they don't own the game any longer. That would be an interesting development.  Just saying.
    MaxBacon
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
    edited July 2018
    I calculate189,74 million so we get about the same figure for the "rule of thumb".

@rpmcmurphy As you said ... there are many many variables.

According to some Glassdoor reviews i was reading (the one that do not look obviously faked) CIG seems to be paying a bit less then the average industry standard in the US. The salaries in UK and Germany also seem to be less than their equivalent in the US. CIG also got several million in tax breaks in the UK (and something equivalent in Germany - reduced tax rates for newly created companies). CIG also gets voluntary subscription income from the community subscribers, which pays for some of the employee salaries (Jump Point magazine editor, camera men, writers etc.). They also get some profit out of currency conversion between Europe and US.

So ... my personal estimate is that they have about half a year buffer.

Have fun