Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Around the Verse - Rebel Yela - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited July 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageAround the Verse - Rebel Yela - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

The latest Star Citizen: Around the Verse has been published. This week, Chris Roberts and Sandi Gardiner start off the weekly development update with a look at an FPS battle organized by some of the game's backer-streamers. The event involved two teams of twenty starting about a kilometer apart before clashing together in the center. Think of it as space-themed battle royale.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 585
    Great news. SC keep delivering contents/tweaks week after week.

Now that it is said... Nay-sayers ready? 3.....2...1.. go: "2025, 2050 or ... scammmmm" :)
  • VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    I am a heavy backer. I still attend regular Bar citizens to see what is going on. Having said that I have lost faith in this project being anything more than job security for a development studio.
  • LurchUSALurchUSA Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Duke Nukem Forever called... he wants his Vapourware Lifetime Achievement award back!
    Octagon7711CryomatrixwingoodXarkoAzaron_Nightblade
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,267
    I am also a backer. Every time I try to open the game, it's like I'm downloading a virus. Everything seizes up, error messages pop up and I end up doing a hard restart. The two or three times I successfully logged in, I couldn't access or do anything.

I absolutely love the concept of this game, but I am beginning to have my doubts on whether it will ever become an actual game.
  • LenoxLenox Member UncommonPosts: 100
    i dont think this game is even relevant at this point. By the time, if ever, they will come out the engine will be outdated and look like crap.. Most of the people who were excited about it gave up on it.

I just do not get the developers of this game at all. This is why I NEVER invest in these type of ventures. It was supposed to be released in 2014... last time i checked its 2018 and we are not any closer to that "release".

I bet all of them would have been fired ages ago and replaced by people who can finish it like 4 years ago but since they are self publisher and full of themselves I dont think this will be nothing but the proof of concept.
    Mikeha
  • LenoxLenox Member UncommonPosts: 100
    $189 million down the drain !!!
    ultimateduckSupaMutant
    Lenox said:
    $189 million down the drain !!!

This is what scares me the most.  I think a good, AAA MMO could be made for 1/3 of this in a shorter time frame.  If this game isn't even in a playable late alpha/early beta state by now, there is little hope.

ScotchUpSupaMutant
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited July 2018
    Lenox said:
    i dont think this game is even relevant at this point. By the time, if ever, they will come out the engine will be outdated and look like crap.. Most of the people who were excited about it gave up on it. 
    lol, this argument kept being copy/pasted over the years, so did SC upgraded its graphics engine several times, and as it stands presently it is visually impressive for today's standards, easily besting in visuals MMO's coming out today. With continued improvements on the roadmaps for the future, the argument that game will be "outdated and look like crap" will be outdated itself.

The relevance and ongoing crowdfunding success of Star Citizen exists is because there is no other offer around, neither prospects of it, that would offer what SC is doing as one MMO.

The whole thing with SC neverending naysaying about the time its taking reminds me of those road trips with your kids in the back of the car hammering you every 5 minutes with "Are we there yet?!".
    Asm0deus
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited July 2018
    I’m sure my great great great grandchildren will enjoy this game. I’ll let them know...from the grave.
    JamesGoblinJeffSpicoliScotchUp

• mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283

Lenox said:

I just do not get the developers of this game at all. This is why I NEVER invest in these type of ventures. It was supposed to be released in 2014... last time i checked its 2018 and we are not any closer to that "release".

I bet all of them would have been fired ages ago and replaced by people who can finish it like 4 years ago but since they are self publisher and full of themselves I dont think this will be nothing but the proof of concept.

I am still excited for this game. I have not put any money into their bullshit pipe dream. I don't pay attention to really anything about this game since pupil to Planet video. But I am still excited. One day it will release and I will play the shit out of it. Or it will never release, and oh well least I didn't lose any money on a purchased Alpha
    Cryomatrix

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    And every single person who bashed it will be playing it. And it will be glorious.
    Asm0deusWalkinGlennJoeBloberJeffSpicoli
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    MaxBacon said:
    Lenox said:
    lol, this argument kept being copy/pasted over the years, so did SC upgraded its graphics engine several times, and as it stands presently it is visually impressive for today's standards, easily besting in visuals MMO's coming out today. With continued improvements on the roadmaps for the future, the argument that game will be "outdated and look like crap" will be outdated itself.

The relevance and ongoing crowdfunding success of Star Citizen exists is because there is no other offer around, neither prospects of it, that would offer what SC is doing as one MMO.

The whole thing with SC neverending naysaying about the time its taking reminds me of those road trips with your kids in the back of the car hammering you every 5 minutes with "Are we there yet?!".
    It's an MMO again now?
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    I think it's been a MMO for quite some time..  Where have you been frosty?
    JoeBlober
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    DAS1337 said:
    I think it's been a MMO for quite some time..  Where have you been frosty?
    LOL. Apparently you haven't been around here. It is an MMO when it is a way it can compare favorably with MMOs. (say, graphics maybe...) It is not, when it can't.

Go back and read a few threads. Or as some farm animals like to point out in those cases where it does not compare favorably, the kickstarter makes no mention of it being an MMO and thus, it is not an MMO. 

That stance is for a different argument though.
    postlarvalScotchUp
    edited July 2018
    frostymug said:
    LOL. Apparently you haven't been around here. It is an MMO when it is a way it can compare favorably with MMOs. (say, graphics maybe...) It is not, when it can't.

Go back and read a few threads. Or as some farm animals like to point out in those cases where it does not compare favorably, the kickstarter makes no mention of it being an MMO and thus, it is not an MMO. 

That stance is for a different argument though.
    It is one MMO, the Persistent Universe part that is known as Star Citizen is, not Squadron 42, it's just not blatantly called as one because the project was just more than just one, with the SP campaign and all.

"Star Citizen is a massively multiplayer online (MMO) space simulator game is being developed in a uniquely modular way, enabling its fans to be a part of the process." as one official example, or the on-site description.
    JoeBloberpostlarvalScotchUp
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    I am also a backer. Every time I try to open the game, it's like I'm downloading a virus. Everything seizes up, error messages pop up and I end up doing a hard restart. The two or three times I successfully logged in, I couldn't access or do anything.

I absolutely love the concept of this game, but I am beginning to have my doubts on whether it will ever become an actual game.
    I recommend to check out several of the online Star Citizen optimization guides (just search for it in Google or YouTube). Having 16 G RAM and an SSD 256 or greater helps a lot. Personally I recommend a modern AMD grafic card over an NVIDIA.  The behavior you describe is highly unusual. Maybe you want to go for a clean new install of the Alpha 3.2 build on the live servers ? Could it be that you have an old PTU "early test build" server version running? 
    The official forum also has a lot of tech help posts in the respective subforum. 

Have fun
    JoeBlober
  • JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 585

... seriously it is not even believable... No one have such type of error beside having screwed up his PC. If your PC crash while all others are running fine beside FPS not optimized yet... Erase you disk drive and install all again... The number of nay-sayers that pretend to be bacekr is also strong today, beside they can't stop the train.. What we you say guys in 3 quarters with 5 more gameplay and +20 ships added? Vaporware? :)
    Phaserlight
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    I always smile when the "scam" and "vaporware" argument comes up. I have been playing and  enjoying that "vaporware" for years now  ;-) And read and watched hundreds (thousands ?) of videos and articles about the development - lot of work for a scam  :-D 

Have fun
  • VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226

Rhoklaw said:

Come on guys, cut them some slack. They are actually attempting to put some planets into the Persistent Universe finally. They just need to calculate placement based off the realistic / fun factor algorithm designed by Christ Roberts himself when he was taking a dump.

I will agree they are starting to cobble together a rough outline of a game. I honestly believe they will deliver eventully . The problem I have is the obvious lack of urgency. Why should they be under any pressure they have all ready been paid.
    etlar

Erillion said:

I recommend to check out several of the online Star Citizen optimization guides (just search for it in Google or YouTube). Having 16 G RAM and an SSD 256 or greater helps a lot. Personally I recommend a modern AMD grafic card over an NVIDIA.  The behavior you describe is highly unusual. Maybe you want to go for a clean new install of the Alpha 3.2 build on the live servers ? Could it be that you have an old PTU "early test build" server version running? 
    The official forum also has a lot of tech help posts in the respective subforum. 

Have fun

I've removed and done a clean install three times now. I will look into the optimization, as you suggested.
    I have an i7 6400 3.40GHZ processor, 16GB RAM and an NVidia GTX1080 video card. I shouldn't have problems.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Erillion said:

Have fun

I've removed and done a clean install three times now. I will look into the optimization, as you suggested.
    I have an i7 6400 3.40GHZ processor, 16GB RAM and an NVidia GTX1080 video card. I shouldn't have problems.
    The games not highly optimized yet and it seems only people who are 100% for the game says everything is fine so it must be your machine.  If you can play other high end games then the problem is probably not on your end.  Best thing is to wait for updates, try the game then, and if there's still problems, wait for the next big update.  I wouldn't go out and buy or build a new pc for any game that's still in alpha.
    ultimateduck

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited July 2018
    "The games not highly optimized yet and it seems only people who are 100% for the game says everything is fine so it must be your machine.  If you can play other high end games then the problem is probably not on your end.  Best thing is to wait for updates, try the game then, and if there's still problems, wait for the next big update.  I wouldn't go out and buy or build a new pc for any game that's still in alpha."

I don't have any other problems with other games, just this one. I guess I'll just have to wait for the next patch.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

MaxBacon said:

You left out the part where the parent tells the kids its another 30 minutes and it's now 3 months later and they are still on the road. So at some point you do have to sympathize with the kids and think there is something wrong with the parents who must be lost and driving in circles.
    goobsnewsScotchUp

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Slapshot1188 said:
    You left out the part where the parent tells the kids its another 30 minutes and it's now 3 months later and they are still on the road. So at some point you do have to sympathize with the kids and think there is something wrong with the parents who must be lost and driving in circles.  
    Well, the "parents" here aren't lost or driving in circles, they are just driving slowly.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

JoeBlober said:

Great news. SC keep delivering contents/tweaks week after week.

Now that it is said... Nay-sayers ready? 3.....2...1.. go: "2025, 2050 or ... scammmmm" :)