Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Cinematic] The Battle of UALX-3 - EVE Online Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited July 2018 in Videos Discussion

image[Cinematic] The Battle of UALX-3 - EVE Online Videos - MMORPG.com

Another epic space battle has taken place in EVE Online, this time triggered when "Legacy Coalition" member "Warped Intentions" tried to anchor a Keepstar citadel not far from the North-Eastern Bloc. 3,500+ pilots took part in the fight with nearly $400k worth of ships deployed to the battle and "assets worth up to 3Tr ISK were destroyed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Just Awesome , and a perfect example of Eve delivering a persistent, exciting, living and immersive MMORPG ..

In case any are looking for the defintion ...Its right here
    sgeldinognNephethJeffSpicoliDisantiaAlomarcheyaneGdemamipantaroValdheimand 5 others.
  • StryckerStrycker Member UncommonPosts: 110
    I played EVE 3-4 months ago (and many times before that) but this time I got really into it. Lived in null sec, fought in a few huge battles. Here's the thing/reality of these stories

1) No one in game that isn't high-high up is really thinking about the actual real $$$ value. While the dollar value has an impact with articles, it's just not nearly as tangible in game

2) For a regular player in these fights, time dilation is in FULL effect. Everything moves at an unplayable pace, you activate a module and it activates 30 seconds to a minute later.

3) Because of the chaos, you're more than likely going to get popped by bombs or something else within the first 30 seconds real time/5 minutes time dilation.

4) Unless you have a top-tier desktop, it's going to be chugging along at 15fps anytime you're looking at the battle (4690k, gtx 970, 16gb ram - my specs, 15fps).

I'm not trying to bash EvE, and it's a great game. However, like many, I read these articles over the years and was excited to see these battles myself. Needless to say, they're pretty underwhelming
    DisantiaAlomarPanserbjorne39ReverielleDiscipledOneTuor7ErillionValdheimSteelhelm
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    edited July 2018
    North Eastern bloc were probably saved by the node collapsing.
    It actually collapsed just as Goons were jumping in a shitload of supers/titans.... NC were there too so the battle could go either way.
    But I find what happened after the battle even more fascinating.
    Legacy/Goons logged back in, anchored another Fort and are currently hellcamping NE titans.

BRAVE and TEST are hellcamping PL.

What a time to be alive.
    SovrathNephethAlomarErillionPhrySteelhelm

..Cake..

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    I'm sure that looks pretty cool for someone who plays EVE. But to me..? Two piles of laser dildo's at a rave.
    EvilGeekReaperman69NirimetusIselinScotCryomatrixTongehButch808Scotty787Valdheimand 4 others.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    edited July 2018
    I resubed back to eve last week for this war, I'm now helping camp almost $300k worth of ships which are logged out in the system this article is about. Revenge is sweet.
    SBFord[Deleted User]pantaro
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    DAS1337 said:
    Two piles of laser dildo's at a rave.
    Lots of experience with that sort of thing, I take it? I mean...I can't picture what I've never imagined, let alone seen, before. ;)
    shohenScotPhrypantaropostlarvalAgent_Joseph

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644
    edited July 2018
    Pew Pew Pew Lazer Beams !!!!! Lazer Tag Online ! Soo many Lazer Beams
    Scotty787
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Near endless creativity with regards to strategy. Idc where it is from Battle to builds (ESO) you give me endless creativity, and I’m there.

Old school pen and paper guy
    Tuor7Alomarpantaro
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Scorchien said:

Just Awesome , and a perfect example of Eve delivering a persistent, exciting, living and immersive MMORPG ..

In case any are looking for the defintion ...Its right here

Also looks rather Massively for a MMORPG. :)
    pantaro
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    That was absolutely awesome. Would play it but cannot stomach the losses and cutthroat world to my detriment and loss no doubt.
    SBFordGdemami
    Chamber of Chains
  • SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Looks Really boring, 2 gigant clusters sitting still shooting at each other.
    MikehaAlomarGdemamiScotty787Agent_Joseph
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Looks Really boring, 2 gigant clusters sitting still shooting at each other.
    What you do not see is thousands of pilots communicating with each other, led by hundreds of wing leaders and a dozen fleet commanders. All the small unit action happening up to 3 systems/jump gates away from the main action. The many dozen of logistics pilot repairing shields, armor, interdicting, pumping preconfigured replacement ships into local markets and mothership hangars so pilots can re-enter the fight. The dozens of spider tanking capital ship pilots. The stealth bomber runs. The webbing and electronic warfare. The journalists weaving in and out of the action, recording it all. The GMs in their Polaris frigates praying that the node holds (it rarely does). The average lifespan of an individual pilot made fleet primary target being counted in seconds. 

Have fun
    AlomarPhryKalafaxValdheimAgent_JosephSteelhelmPhaserlightSovrath
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Say's loudly, PVE server.
    Phry
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • RofusEURofusEU Member UncommonPosts: 58
    I saw this and I had to reinstall Eve. Battles like these are awesome but a bit smaller scale is a lot more fun IMO :D
  • EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Although I have not played EVE, I have to admit I find the design fascinating and it certainly has longevity. Question for the veterans:

1. Is it likely an EVE 2 may be developed and released? Seems like after so many years a reboot with new technology and improvements may be worth while.

2. On the technology side, are there innovations that may address the frame rate issues many describe? I am not talking quantum computing, but reasonable and affordable technologies we might see game companies avail themselves of in the present or near future. If you can actually have such mass battles and people are able to move normally, it would be incredible.
    Gdemami
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    .extraClassAspect { -webkit-transform:scaleX(1.34)!important; }.extraClassCrop { -webkit-transform:scale(1.34)!important; }
    Ehliya said:
    Although I have not played EVE, I have to admit I find the design fascinating and it certainly has longevity. Question for the veterans:

1. Is it likely an EVE 2 may be developed and released? Seems like after so many years a reboot with new technology and improvements may be worth while.

2. On the technology side, are there innovations that may address the frame rate issues many describe? I am not talking quantum computing, but reasonable and affordable technologies we might see game companies avail themselves of in the present or near future. If you can actually have such mass battles and people are able to move normally, it would be incredible.

1.   Eve is constantly evolving tech wise....Sometimes good, sometime bad but the game and its engine are always evolving so I cant see a big rush for a Eve2......Eve is always going to be a niche game with population, unless something massive occurs...Like Star Citizen living up to 40% of its promises...Even then its still not Eve and the graphics are fluff, Eve is a numbers and politics game, people who don't get that are always disappointed in Eve as they have failed to see the actual game.

2. Tech wise they have made many many stabs at it, and to be honest seeing what they ask the nodes to do in these massive fleet battles its amazing they got to this stage, as I stated before they are constantly looking at new ways and equipment to run Eve better, the results are varying, but I will give them 10/10 for spending on infrastructure. 

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Ehliya said:

1. No. The game has been updated and improved for more than a century. A newly launched EvE2 would not be able to provide all the features EvE provides.

2. No. The frame rate issues (TIDI) are the innovation.. it's a way of dealing with multiple thousands of players using all sorts of complicated commands on one grid.
    Gdemami

..Cake..

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    RofusEU said:
    I saw this and I had to reinstall Eve. Battles like these are awesome but a bit smaller scale is a lot more fun IMO :D
    Faction warfare probably has what you are looking for then.  ;)
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    With the amount of said monetary losses, I wonder what the average monthly RL expense each player in the battle put in? Is this game for those who have a fair amount of disposal income?
    Jamar870 said:
    With the amount of said monetary losses, I wonder what the average monthly RL expense each player in the battle put in? Is this game for those who have a fair amount of disposal income?
    Zero monthly expense. On that level all is paid with PLEX from in game ISK

Have fun

• Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Always said it, there is nothing on the market like EvE. The game truly is something special, all the major events are player created. You have wars that can and do rage for years, markets that are effected by said wars, battles that can number in the thousands and wars that number in the 10's of thousands.

People mock it saying it's spreadsheets in space and that PvP is boring, to this I say go try some small scale low sec PvP and see how boring / skilless it is. Also they say the community is toxic, in EvE i've met some of the friendliest people you could come across, while on the other hand in PvE games I've come across some of the biggest tits to ever sit behind a monitor.

I constantly see people moaning that MMO's have become boring, on rails hand holdy crap with no depth. Go try EvE, seriously, it aint easy, it doesn't hold your hand but if you can find the right group to play with it can truly be one of the best MMO experiences on the market (IMO).
    pantaro
  • KhegobierKhegobier Member UncommonPosts: 54
    I used to play Excel In Space too. I stopped playing when I realized that everything you worked for in the game could be taken away from you at the drop of a hat by a giggling prepubescent child with zero repercussions.
    Khegobier said:
    I used to play Excel In Space too. I stopped playing when I realized that everything you worked for in the game could be taken away from you at the drop of a hat by a giggling prepubescent child with zero repercussions.
    .... if you let them. 

Never fly anything you cannot afford to lose. EVE motto for the last 15 years.

Have fun 

Agent_Joseph
  • haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253
    argh ... have to resist the urge to jump back into that time sink. I logged back into my old account a few days ago just to see what changed. It looks like the game grew so complicated since I last played it (cca 2012 ?) that it really stopped being interesting to a solo player ...
    haplo602 said:
    argh ... have to resist the urge to jump back into that time sink. I logged back into my old account a few days ago just to see what changed. It looks like the game grew so complicated since I last played it (cca 2012 ?) that it really stopped being interesting to a solo player ...
    The last update was almost exclusively targetting the PvE solo player, with new enemies and tactics in seperate areas of space (without suicide gankers).

You might want to check that out.

Have fun