Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Update: Time for a new GPU, idle temperatures are at normal loaded temperature levels.

GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
edited August 2018 in Hardware
Looks like all that Folding@Home has taken it's toll on my AMD R9 270.  My GPU started regularly crashing a few months ago.  I shut down Folding@Home and haven't had much of an issue until recently.

My room temperature is currently about 93 and the GPU is steady at 170 a little more than idling.  When my system reboots the GPU shows temperatures above 190 and takes a couple of minutes to get down to 150-170.  I'm currently experimenting with manual fan speed setting using the AMD Overdrive.

I'm open to suggestions for GPUs costing up to about $200-$250.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
Post edited by Grunty on

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Unless you were thinking it's time to upgrade anyway, before you replace the card, I'd check to see if it's fixable.  Check to make sure that the airflow isn't blocked and the card isn't clogged with dust.  Also check to see if the card is properly clocking down at idle.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited July 2018
    Probably dust or failing fan - but regardless it’s had a good run.

GPU prices are on the way back down - 580s and most nVidia lines (1060 at your budget) can be found at MSRP again
    A Radeon RX 570 or RX 580 or GeForce GTX 1060 (3 GB or 6 GB) are really the things to look for, depending on what you can find in your price bracket.  The 3 GB and 6 GB versions of the GTX 1060 are really different cards that shouldn't have the same name, as the 3 GB version disables one of the compute units and the 6 GB version doesn't.  While the cards are all pretty close in performance, it's loosely:

GeForce GTX 1060 3 GB < Radeon RX 570 < GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB < Radeon RX 580

They'll generally be in the ballpark of double the performance of your old card.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited July 2018
    I don't think you will find cool cards in this recent generation. Best bet would be the GTX 1060 6GB. The RX 570 and 580 will run hot. Your showing temps between 60C ~ 90C which is typical for GPUs. Liquid cooled GPUs are the best right now, but would be out of your price range.
    Prices are still above MSRP by about $50. Here is the current cost breakdown.
    RX 570 4GB ~$230
    RX 580 8GB ~$250 (After mail-in rebate) otherwise around $275
    GTX 1060 6GB ~$280

There is no reason to get the GTX 1060 3GB.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    That isn't a faulty GPU -- it is faulty cooling. 

Step 1 be sure the fan is turning on the unit.  If not, get a new GPU fan.

Step 2 dust it thoroughly and see if that makes any difference.

Step 3 remove the fan from the GPU and clean the GPU off then reattach the fan with fresh compound.

Of course the time spent at 190 hasn't done it any favors, but no gpu idles at 170 that has any functional cooling.
    Quizzical
    A GeForce GTX 480 famously idled at 90 C (194 F) if you plugged in two monitors.  Newer Nvidia GPUs can handle two monitors just fine, but are unable to clock down at idle if you plug in three.
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    wait..1180 is here in 1-2 month soon
    Ozmodan

wait..1180 is here in 1-2 month soon
    That may or may not be true, and even if it is, it's not going to cost under $250.  Besides, just last month, Nvidia's CEO said that the next GeForce launch would be "a long time from now":

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/06/04/dont_expect_new_geforce_gpu_for_long_time
    Ozmodan
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Thank you for everyone's input.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    I took the GPU's cooling setup apart.  I found the fans work but don't spin freely.  I couldn't find an easy non-destructable way to disassemble them to clean or lubricate.   The radiator was slightly dusty.  The thermal compound was dry and caked on.  I cleaned the radiator and refreshed the thermal compound.

The temperatures are a bit better after reassembling and installing.  Because the fans need replacement I've got them set manually at 50%, 180 RPM.  With no load the GPU temperature is better at just below 140 f.  This is about 45 f above ambient temperature of 96 f.  This is also the temperature of the voltage regulator module.  

I found new replacement fans on NewEgg for $18 and am going to order them.  The QA labels on the current fans are from 2013. 
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Spare 120mm case fans + Zip Ties = Done. That's my redneck recommendation.
    QuizzicalOzmodan
    Ridelynn said:
    No duct tape?  I've fixed my computer with duct tape.
    RidelynnOzmodan
    Ridelynn said:
    It might come down to that.  2 week delivery from China.  Uh-huh.
  • KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Quizzical said:
    Ridelynn said:
    I think my co-worker did the same thing when his GPU fan went out.  Had ordered the fans for a similarly modeled card but the mount screws were in different locations so he just zip tied and duct taped it on...
    Ridelynn
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Oh I forgot, you can take a risk buying a used card from Ebay like an RX 480. It's a big risk as most of them are coming off Crypto mining, but they will be under $200.
    Quizzical said:
    Ridelynn said:
    I think my co-worker did the same thing when his GPU fan went out.  Had ordered the fans for a similarly modeled card but the mount screws were in different locations so he just zip tied and duct taped it on...
    Actually, it wasn't a fan problem that I fixed.  The power button on my computer case came undone from the case so that pressing the button in moved the whole mechanism rather than making a connection to turn the computer on.  How to fix that with duct tape was fairly obvious once I saw what was going on:  tape the mechanism to the case so that it can't move when I push the power button.
    edited August 2018
    I just received the replacement fans and installed them.

GPU-Z reports the fan speed % now as 18% vs. 23%,  Fan speed rpm as 1000rpm vs. 260 rpm and GPU temperature as  25 f above ambient temperature vs. 60 f above ambient temperature.

$18 and less than a  hour repair time.  A minor quibble: the NewEgg page showed fans, wire harness and fan shroud.  I received only the fans and wire harness.  The fans were brand name and not knockoffs.

After destructive disassembly of the old fans I found them to be well made.  The permanent magnet is attached to the fan blade.  the bearing is attached to the bottom plastic housing.  the motor permanently attached to the pc board.  The fan blade assembly was super glued to the bearing shaft.  Fans were made by Power Logic for MSI.
    Post edited by Grunty on
    [Deleted User]RidelynnOzmodan