Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legends of Aria - CBT 2 Launch Post Mortem & a Weekend Event Incoming - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageLegends of Aria - CBT 2 Launch Post Mortem & a Weekend Event Incoming - MMORPG.com

Players have been enjoying the second closed beta test in Legends of Aria for just over a week now. We sat down with Project Lead Derek 'Supreem' Brinkmann and Producer Jeffrey 'Miphon' Edwards to find out how launch went, what's next for Legends of Aria and what this weekend's event means to the game.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    first! GL LoA

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    These guys are going to need a lot of luck to keep the lights on. Then again it appears to be pretty financially sustainable so they may be able to keep it going with a small player-base.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    I still think their future lies in the “shards” concept of player run servers. I think they need to give that part more attention.
    SBFordlaserit[Deleted User]ThupliValdheim

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    These guys are going to need a lot of luck to keep the lights on. Then again it appears to be pretty financially sustainable so they may be able to keep it going with a small player-base.
    I like the idea of "niche MMOs". It means that devs don't have to try to be all things to all players and can focus on the things that they and their players want. Honestly, it's the wave of the future: Smaller-scale games that cater to small, but ardent communities. I think that's aces.
    SovrathThuplideniterValdheim

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    The game still lacks  life/fauna and an immersive world/atmosphere....
    laseritdelete5230[Deleted User]Octagon7711darkhearts

Scorchien said:

Two words and a number for you: CLOSED BETA 2.

Extra words: It's not a finished, or even Early Access, product.
    laseritdelete5230DAS1337Cazrieldarkhearts

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:

Scorchien said:

I understand exactly what it is .. And they have done nothing to date to address this issue ..SInce Alpha

and keep in  mind they wanted to release this game in June , which i voiced that and many other concerns at that time was April (that announcement ) ..

They have a lot of work to do , it a very shallow empty expereince at this time ..
    laseritdelete5230[Deleted User]ThupliOctagon7711darkheartsValdheimLenoxAsmodeuX
    edited July 2018
    Scorchien said:
    SBFord said:

Scorchien said:

I understand exactly what it is .. And they have done nothing to date to address this issue ..SInce Alpha

and keep in  mind they wanted to release this game in June , which i voiced that and many other concerns at that time was April (that announcement ) ..

They have a lot of work to do , it a very shallow empty expereince at this time ..
    I started following it pretty closely when they started letting people steam it.  Most people who have played it dropped it within 10 or less hours.  Even the nostalgic players laughed it off as a poor attempt to re-create UO. 

There's old-school, and then there's just dumb.  Their inventory system and many others are the latter.  
    Scorchienkikoodutroa8delete5230Lenox
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    SBFord said:
    I like the idea of "niche MMOs". It means that devs don't have to try to be all things to all players and can focus on the things that they and their players want. Honestly, it's the wave of the future: Smaller-scale games that cater to small, but ardent communities. I think that's aces.
    It's working for Albion Online. The whiners are just noise, the dedicated players and devs know it and just ignore them. The game will happily go on with a small player base and that's OK with me.

Hopefully, LoA gets the same chance to build that type of community.
    SBFordThupli

Scorchien said:
    SBFord said:

Scorchien said:

I started following it pretty closely when they started letting people steam it.  Most people who have played it dropped it within 10 or less hours.  Even the nostalgic players laughed it off as a poor attempt to re-create UO. 

There's old-school, and then there's just dumb.  Their inventory system and many others are the latter.  
      Truth ,, ATM , Now maybe they can turn it around , we shall see .. Honestly Arcfall is a better UO like game at this time in Pre Alpha stage than LoA is .. I would like to see both reach there potential .. But ..
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    SBFord said:

Scorchien said:

Truth ,, ATM , Now maybe they can turn it around , we shall see .. Honestly Arcfall is a better UO like game at this time in Pre Alpha stage than LoA is .. I would like to see both reach there potential .. But ..

Yeah, competition is good for the consumer after all.  I just don't have very high hopes for Aria.
    SBFord said:
    It's working for Albion Online. The whiners are just noise, the dedicated players and devs know it and just ignore them. The game will happily go on with a small player base and that's OK with me.

Hopefully, LoA gets the same chance to build that type of community.

It's interesting that Albion started hiding it's player numbers after being so open about it.  They very well may not be worried about it, but their behavior kind of betrays that sentiment too.
  • Enigma7337Enigma7337 Member UncommonPosts: 38

Scorchien said:

Scorchien said:

SBFord said:

Scorchien said:

Currently 2 people playing Arcfall.
  • Enigma7337Enigma7337 Member UncommonPosts: 38

Scorchien said:

SBFord said:

Scorchien said:

Why would you put a lot of time in a game where it's going to be wiped? Outside of caring about finding bugs.

Scorchien said:

SBFord said:

Scorchien said:

Why would you put a lot of time in a game where it's going to be wiped? Outside of caring about finding bugs.

Good point.  Tying hours played to it is not the best metric.  Instead, just look at reddit, here, and other forums.....plenty of negative feedback to choose from.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    It's cool how it only caters to a certain type of person as opposed to trying to please everyone. Miss the little old school games from the past that did that. So, for that reason I hope it succeeds.
    SBFordSlapshot1188jason523Valdheim

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• jason523jason523 Member UncommonPosts: 96

Scorchien said:

They stated in the last town hall meetup that since the new graphic update, they can now start on adding in landmarks and more creature type to inhabit the world to make it more alive.
    SBFordThupliValdheim
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

SBFord said:

Scorchien said:

Ahh.. someone who follows MMO's... Yet doesn't understand the development of them. MMORPG, you can do better... Seriously man. Games change VERY VERY little from closed beta into launch. An entire history of MMO's is available to you for proof.
    Bluefish
    DAS1337 said:
    SBFord said:
    Scorchien said:

Ahh.. someone who follows MMO's... Yet doesn't understand the development of them. MMORPG, you can do better... Seriously man. Games change VERY VERY little from closed beta into launch. An entire history of MMO's is available to you for proof.
    Um...yeah, that exactly the point I was making to the guy who said it lacks life/fauna and immersive world / atmosphere.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644
    edited July 2018

I REALLY want to love this game soooo badly !!!

I cannot get over the Locked Camera Mechanics ...IT IS KILLING ME INSIDE !!!
    Game looks Great , but the Locked camera is Worse then Path of Exiles , it feels like I am Inside a 10 Meter by 10 Meter Box that I cannot see out of, cant turn my Camera Up even to see farther distances

But for some Reason diablo 3 doesn't feel this way to me

Post edited by Grimula on
    Diabhual
    SBFord said:
    DAS1337 said:
    SBFord said:
    Scorchien said:

Um...yeah, that exactly the point I was making to the guy who said it lacks life/fauna and immersive world / atmosphere.
    It sounded more like you were defending the game because of it's status.  In fact I'm still convinced that's what you meant and are now backpedaling as poorly as Trump the last week.
    SBFordValdheim
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    edited July 2018
    I played a bit earlier this week. I never made it out of the starting city. I found a few things difficult to deal with. The radar map was tiny and there was no world map. Labels on buildings were small and hard to read. In other words, finding what I wanted was entirely hit or miss. I had watched a YouTuber and was able to find the first low level dungeon. Wasn't able to see the mobs, however. Found a guy being attacked by two rats and killed one, to a "Jerk" response from the guy I thought I was helping out. Turns out, this is how you level your skills. Sit in a dungeon and allow yourself to be attacked. I decided I had spent enough time in the game to get a good sense of how it, and the community, would play.
    Valdheim
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    edited July 2018

SBFord said:

Scorchien said:

I hate this argument. Its as if people have forgotten that this same argument has been used over a decade now to defend poor game design decisions. --------------------- i dont know anything about this game, which is why I am here to learn. whats the hype people?
    Bluefish

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    DAS1337 said:

SBFord said:

Scorchien said:

Having tested over a dozen MMORPGs over the last decade in both Alpha and Beta I can safely say that is nonsense, especially on the performance and polish front. We are talking about an actual closed Beta then, not that promotional EA crap, then you are right.

/Cheers,
    Lanmir
    SBFord[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    VERY odd response by Suzie.

to say "not even early access"is making an assumption there will be more content following EA,,to which i say 99.9% not.
    Then the other poster reaffirms what the one poster stated,VERY little will change,yet seems to be flaming that user even though agreeing with him,are people just out to argue even when they are 100% wrong or actually agreeing with?
    I have been around gaming as long as anyone here,yes even the MUDS,i know the process that takes place in games and releases and i have seen all the gimmicks as well.

A BETA test is or should be the final product but is testing that product to make sure it is ready for EA.Early access is THE GAME,100% the game,it is simply a gimmick to encourage early buy ins.

So rather than make lazy,lame arguments,i rather see a LEGITIMATE response to a non lively world.Yes i am fully aware that it is possible to turn off fauna or any kind of world like animations but then that wouldn't be TESTING would it?
    There is also another important factor,BETA is and has been the last 10 or so years used as another gimmick to entice new buyers/customers.Well turning stuff off will give a FALSE impression of the game,so again why on earth would a developer do that,so yeah that is not happening,the game is simply what it is,a game that was designed to be a shard game,had limited assets and had to EASILY take care of gpu/cpu lag so would have been implementing very little.

Bottom line,rather than belittle a complaint,let's FIX IT,let's make these games BETTER,or is the goal to advertise and defend rather than make games better?
    Octagon7711

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.