Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 or Bless?

Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
Been looking for another game to get into and trying to decide between these two. I hear good things about Guild Wars 2 and just recently made a Warrior as my first character. Or dive into the storm and give Bless a try. One of the reasons I like about Bless is the taming system and getting all kinds of various mounts/pets. When I played WoW I was a complete mount whore. Other than these two been looking at potentially Crowfall.  Just wondering before I dive into one of these and invest time which one would you go with more?

Thanks!

Comments

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    GW2 fits my style of play wherein I can primarily explore, yet still do almost everything else. Nowadays it is hard to find a game where you can really explore without it detrimentally affecting any meaningful progression in the game.

The community is also quite friendly overall and fairly well populated. I'm on a medium populated server and I will occasionally get the message about moving to another instance of a zone, but there are still plenty of people about for the most part.

Putting those two paragraphs together, I like that I can come across world bosses and champions and jump right into the fight or start it and know that more people will join. Also, the scripted open world events that you can hop in and out of easily. 

You would probably be disappointed in the number of mounts in GW2. There are only a handful of types with some different skins for each. Many of the skins require buying chest keys and having luck on your side. On the other hand, if you enjoy collecting pets you might want to check out ranger if that play style is appealing to you. You can tame monsters that are labelled as juvenile across the world and have two land and two water pets slotted at a time that you can switch between during fights. I haven't run a ranger at level 80 much, but it seems the general consensus is more of an Aragorn type ranger where melee builds are more desired end game than bows. Some people do not like that your skills change depending on what weapons you have equipped, but I like that about the game. Can swap weapons during fights, like pets, to adjust for the situation at hand. Range, melee, dd, aoe, cc. 

I haven't played Bless so I'll leave it alone. The taming system is what interested me most about it, along with a new (old) world to run around in, but I knew it wasn't ready and I have strong doubts it ever will be.
    Truvidien88
  • ScarranScarran Member UncommonPosts: 102
    edited July 2018
    Personally I would go for GW2 and avoid Bless like the plague. If you like collecting stuff GW2's Ranger class has you running around to find and unlock the combat pets that the class uses (last time I checked that was the case). There is also miniature collections that allow you to collect non-combat mini's which can again be obtained through doing various hearts (GW2 open quest system) that you can then have one of them run alongside you.

Alot of this can be done without having to buy any x-pac and if you find you enjoy it, the path of fire x-pac introduced mounts and the latest living world story has added a new one. Although their isn't a ton (only 6) they do sell a large variety of skins which changes the look of a mount alot. For me GW2 has one of the best implementations of mounts in an mmo. Even if you do not wish to spend money, their is more than enough to keep you occupied.

Bless on the other hand is a cash grab and I wouldn't waste my money on it.

sumdumguy1Truvidien88Phry
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    GW2 is a better game, but you can certainly try bless anyways. Just depends on if you want to spend money and how much 
    sumdumguy1pinealalkarionlogpsychosiz1Elquin

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    The mess that is bless is not worth your time.  Guild Wars 2 is what you should do.
    Scarranpsychosiz1Elquinesc-joconnor
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    meh, I would recomend no one but since you already is playing gw2 go for it, bless is still trying to fix things, gw2 is still trying to dumb down things and force templates for you to play.
    maskedweaselElquin
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited July 2018
    Been looking for another game to get into and trying to decide between these two. I hear good things about Guild Wars 2 and just recently made a Warrior as my first character. Or dive into the storm and give Bless a try. One of the reasons I like about Bless is the taming system and getting all kinds of various mounts/pets. When I played WoW I was a complete mount whore. Other than these two been looking at potentially Crowfall.  Just wondering before I dive into one of these and invest time which one would you go with more?

Thanks!
    The mount system in GW2 is far better then the mount system in Bless. Mounts in Bless are basically like WoW mounts but have passive abilities that give you stat bonuses. GW2 mounts feel more like vehicles and all control differently, it is a very cool system.

Bless is also a bad game because of some of (but not limited to) the following:

1) Poor performance. 
    2) Terrible economy (Locked price min/max, max number of postings, market flooded with everything posted at min bids so you have to get lucky for anything to sell)
    3) Poor balance (Every patch there is one class that is dominant and they have been struggling to balance it properly. IE: One patch, they straight up reduced EVERYONE'S damage by 50% without any kind of testing)
    4) Gameplay is very boring. Even though this is more of an opinion, it is basically more boring gameplay then WoW had in 2004.
    5) You have to pay real money for respecs
    6) The game is likely going to shut down soon as it has hit less then 2k players on Steam. (The only way you can play it) So not only will you suffer low population, but the game will die out.)
    Nepheth
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    If your into pets and mounts check out Riders of Icarus. GW2's mount system is grindy and boring to me.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    GW2 is a reasonably safe path to take. Bless is a risky proposition where one must hope for improvements in the future as the current state of the game is lacking.

If you are open to risk and the mount taming is a major factor for you Bless may be worth taking a chance on. Otherwise, GW2 would be the better choice of the two.

If you do go with GW2, you could opt to create Ranger at some point, and collect pets rather than mounts. Obviously not the same, but it may share some of the appeal.
    sumdumguy1
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    Hariken said:
    If your into pets and mounts check out Riders of Icarus. GW2's mount system is grindy and boring to me.
    Grindy???? What?? This is clearly from someone who has not played much. You can get all your mounts within a day of starting PoF. The newest mount only takes a couple of hours doing an interesting collection to complete too...

There is only one mount that is more difficult to get, but that one is not a huge grind really unless you don't have the gold. It isn't that bad though considering you don't need it and if you are a new player you have better things to spend gold on. (if you don't have 250 gold you are probably newer or just spend your money on legendaries/ect) 
    alkarionlogHarikenElquinNepheth
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    None
    alkarionlogTruvidien88
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    GW2 is by far the most polished game of the two. Bless is still in EA and won't be a real competitor for GW2 until they fix some of the issues the game has. Definitely something to keep in mind when making your choice.
    sumdumguy1

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Oh wow a lot of GW2 responses! Glad to hear that. As a free player do you get to select what server you wanna play on or do you need to buy HoT/PoF first? 
  • jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    GW2 doesn't have servers in the traditional sense.. you just choose a WvW PvP home server but you do that in game from the WvW menu.

Every MMO player should have at least tried GW2 so it's easily the best recommendation.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Definitely try GW2, I just can't stand it myself.  The combat puts me to sleep.

Skills are unimpactful and poorly animated, you feel like you're still level 15 when you're max level in GW2 because of how lame the skills are compared to basically any other mmo.

You also stop getting any real new skills at level 30ish, so after that it really feels like a chore to level up any further, yet you have 50 levels to go....lol.  

Anyway, from any other perspective I would still recommend everyone try it, the combat just makes me zzzzzzzzzzzz
    sumdumguy1psychosiz1Celcius
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Skills are unimpactful and poorly animated, you feel like you're still level 15 when you're max level in GW2 because of how lame the skills are compared to basically any other mmo.

You also stop getting any real new skills at level 30ish, so after that it really feels like a chore to level up any further, yet you have 50 levels to go....lol.  

Anyway, from any other perspective I would still recommend everyone try it, the combat just makes me zzzzzzzzzzzz
    Sounds like you haven't played at all in a long time.  Elite specs open up a lot of new skills and builds. 
    Truvidien88sumdumguy1CelciusElquin

Sounds like you haven't played at all in a long time.  Elite specs open up a lot of new skills and builds. 
    No, I have.  As recent as a month ago actually.  They're just woefully boring/underwhelming.  
    edited July 2018
    This:

As compared to something like this:

Like I said, GW2 "Elite" skills look like other games level 15 skills.
    CelciusMardukkmaskedweaselElquin
  • cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    edited July 2018
    Bless hahaha.... funny one there...
    try runescape, its free and has more content :)
    sumdumguy1psychosiz1CelciusPhry
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    GW2 is the the best choice here.  I can't begin to describe how disappointed I was with bless.  The best thing I can say about bless is I left.  
    Celcius
  • idontlikemynameidontlikemyname Member UncommonPosts: 40
    edited July 2018
    Take from me i have both games and i quit Gw2 to play Bless online after 158H of gameplay and bad performance i came back to Gw2.

Bless is not good at the moment if you are going to buy it, buy it at your own risk, also the playerbase is going down and down every day. Maybe the game will get  better if they focus on fixing the current issues who knows.
    Truvidien88
    GW2 is the the best choice here.  I can't begin to describe how disappointed I was with bless.  The best thing I can say about bless is I left.  
    Why didn't you like Bless? 
    Take from me i have both games and i quit Gw2 to play Bless online after 158H of gameplay and bad performance i came back to Gw2.

Bless is not good at the moment if you are going to buy it, buy it at your own risk, also the playerbase is going down and down every day. Maybe the game will get  better if they focus on fixing the current issues who knows.
    Is it really that bad that everyone says it is?
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    GW2, fun game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• idontlikemynameidontlikemyname Member UncommonPosts: 40
    edited July 2018

Is it really that bad that everyone says it is?

bad performance FPS drops, ram usage even for high end rigs, the economy of the game god f*** up by some exploiters and hackers Neowiz ban the players but didnt flush the AH and thats the main and only way to sell/trade with players, the RNG for mounts,pets and upgrading your gear to 10+, the unbalanced classes and the undelivered promises from the devs.

This is my point of view you are free to try the game by yourself but like i said is not worth it at the moment, but if you really want to try out the game you should hold to your money, there has been some info leaked about some kind of free trial week for the game(posted on reddit and steamdb but they lock it).