Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the hell am I missing here with ESO?

Comments

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Wow, I can't believe I'm the only one in this thread so far that likes this game.  To each their own I guess.  I come from WoW, so the graphics seem SO much better.  I've not played a lot, and it's not my main MMO, but I like running around, exploring, and doing the quests.  It's serving as my non-social game.  I kinda like doing things on my own in ESO.
    You’re not alone.

I’ve found over the years that if you look at the comments in these forums, the games that people collectively hate are usually the good ones.

Just play what you like and forget what the armchair “experts” have to say.
    CazrielNorseGod

• Rain_DeathravenRain_Deathraven Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Tiller said:
    I'm having a really hard time liking this game. That's a problem because I want to jump in to the hype of the new expansion, as well as play a bit of the last one I missed. 

Here are just some of the issues I have

The combat to me seems absolute shit- I feel like it's just a race to download a red line than actual fun and engaging combat.  For real, water gun balloon race at the county fair is far more exciting and has more tactile feedback then this games combat does. Why is dodging so hard and ridiculous looking? And what the hell is the point of wielding a bow in this game? I feel like I'm shooting nerf arrows.

Animations are wooden- Between the Stick-in-ass running technique and the fact that my avatar looks pretty unsure of himself when wielding a knife, especially when running with it is a total immersion killer for me. I wanna feel heroic, unlike my RL self.

Clothing on avatars looks painted on- Seriously, I can't be the only one who notices this. Unless my eyes are missing that third dimension, shit looks pretty flat to me. I blame the game engine, Hero Engine to be exact. I kind of wish they never used it.

The map- It isn't as horrid as other games I've played, but it's definitely missing details I like seeing in maps, like placement of NPC, POIs with minor details ect. It's like Google Earth Vs Yellow pages map.

No mini map- The fact that you see others standing around holding horrible maps all the time tells you that there needs to be a mini map built into the game. But-they thought it would be cool and hip to have a compass like in Skyrim. Granted you can use the many mods that are are offered to make things like not having a mini map seem less sucky, still doesn't fix the combat though.

Stories- Stories are decent, some feel like filler quests with no real point at all.  I will set out to do a quest, listen to 10 minutes of dialog and think, this is going to be a great story adventure. So I set out on what I think is going to be a grand adventure head to the first place.. pick this up, do this, look at that, rescue that person, put out fire ect then run back and the quest giver is like, " here's 2 silver -ok thx bye" Little anticlimactic. So many filler quests like that. Glorified kill 10 rats like with any MMO, but it feels like more of let down  because of the build up compared to other MMOs lol.

Voice acting- At times I feel the acting is as good as local bar improv night.  Most times you can even recognize the same voice actors in many stories. It's kinda like listening to your uncle Ned telling a story with different voices (if you have an uncle Ned, I don't). It's really hit or miss. I found myself at times wanting to hear the story being told, other times I'm like clicking to get them to shut up.

The game world-  At times it can be visually stunning, from a distance, then you move up close to some buildings and notice how drab they look with really low quality textures that look as good as a crappy Java game from 15 years ago with no real shadowing. Even with all settings on ulta, nothing looks super impressive. Where's my Ultra? Again, I blame Hero Engine for this.

Menu navigation-Built for game pads, clunky AF, nuff said.
    -Actually it's not enough, the first item on the menu wants to sell you loot crates, wtf, I can't tell you how many times I accidentally brought out that stupid swindler, maniacally flipping though his card deck like some back-alley NYC card hustler staring at you like he's gonna take you for all you are worth. All I was trying to do was get to something else.

The UI (or lack of)- This has the worst customization of any MMO I have ever played, and I have played a lot of MMOs. Something as simple as adding pots to your hot bar is major fail.  It should really be as easy as open inventory-drag-drop. But no, you must open inventory, press Q to bring up a radial run you mouse around the radial to find the slot you want, then drag and drop, again built for game pads.

Bugged quest spawns- This is hella annoying, and it's sad this issues still persist with some of the quests. I like being able to to run from one end of the map to other doing quests along the way, when one is broken it screws up my mapping flow.

No player market- Not a huge deal, but man I wish I could sell some crap I have cluttering up my inventory to other players who will over pay for it Vs selling it to a fence or turning it to crafting scrap.

Crafting- Not as as exciting as it could be, and considering how crafting is such a snooze fest for most people in MMOs, that says a lot. 

To be fair  I want to like this game, I feel like I need to like it; and I feel bad I have so many issues with it.  I will admit to an extent I find myself enjoying it from time to time, though that time is not right now. Maybe  it's because I have other games I would rather be playing, I don't know. Everyone talks up this game so highly, it must be good, or are you all just ignoring the obvious?

What do you guys like about the game? What Am I missing here?

Edit: I'm still not ready to give up on this game yet. Beyond some of the issues I have, most have never stopped me from enjoying an MMO before. I'm thinking it might be the class I'm playing that kills the combat for me. I usually like ranged DPS with the ability to finish off melee mobs up close of the move in on me. Thinking some type of caster tank. Does anyone have any advice on what class combinations to play? I've been playing a Nightblade with As/shadow but it just feels lackluster.

2nd Edit: I am currently giving this game another go, thanks for the feedback.

Agree with everything you said beside minimap.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Scot said:
    Can someone do a thread about what I am missing with GW2 and BDO? Fed up of this one now.
    I'd say with GW2, the gearing process is "artificial." The tiers only increase numerical values like ESO's upgrading system, not really adding anything unique to say a legendary tiered piece compared to an epic aside from just higher numbers. For me, if there's nothing "exclusive" at the top end content outside of vanity, I have no desire to do it more than once.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Albatroes said:
    Scot said:
    Can someone do a thread about what I am missing with GW2 and BDO? Fed up of this one now.
    I'd say with GW2, the gearing process is "artificial." The tiers only increase numerical values like ESO's upgrading system, not really adding anything unique to say a legendary tiered piece compared to an epic aside from just higher numbers. For me, if there's nothing "exclusive" at the top end content outside of vanity, I have no desire to do it more than once.
    For me is was cartoony graphics and the quest system where you did not even have to read the quests.

BDO has a way of luring you in to thinking its not about P2W, then you find to upgrade weapons and armour costs a fortune and you can sell items you bought to other players for in game gold.

At least ESO has none of those problems which I feel I rather more central to being a good MMO than what has been mentioned in this thread about ESO.
    postlarval[Deleted User]SaunZGorweMrMelGibson
  • ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Much of this is due to the Hero Engine, which, at the time ESO was released, was an outdated engine. By today's standards, I dont even want to think about how bad it would feel.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    Every time I pick the game back up it pleases me.... for a short while. Then I just find myself not logging on anymore. There is something missing from the game for my tastes, though I can't put my finger on it.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]
  • GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    edited July 2018
    To me the game just didn't feel like an MMORPG. I admit I tried it back a long while ago and it probably improved since then, but first impressions do matter.

It all felt so chunked up, not like an immersive big world you "live" in but more like the world was a flat backdrop for the tightly authored story pieces you were being fed piece by piece.

The heavyhanded phasing just made this even worse. 
    But I am just generally not a fan of phasing and instancing, so that's on me.
    I just don't buy the whole "look you changed the world" stuff when it's obviously just a facade shown to me and noone else.
    I have read they removed some of it, so at least they are working to improve these things.

For now it's just not for me, still a well made game though.

Post edited by Gaendric on
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    edited July 2018
    Well... I'm just the opposite. When this game first released from all that I heard about it I refused to give it a serious look. I had made up my mind that this was not an Elder Scrolls game and I was going to hate it no matter what.

Then they released the Morrowind expansion...

This finally caught my eye and made me take a look into the game. I picked it up on sale and gave it a try. I tried very hard to nit pick any flaws I could and hate the game but I found myself playing more and more as time passed.

Now ESO is my main MMO... I don't even play any others currently... and I love it. Once I got over myself and realized that it's actually a very good MMO I started to really enjoy playing. I play almost every day now and have for over a year now. I tried very hard to hate this game but ended up loving it. Is it perfect? No, not even close but what it does right it does very right.

Bren
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchie

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Brenelael said:
    Well... I'm just the opposite. When this game first released from all that I heard about it I refused to give it a serious look. I had made up my mind that this was not an Elder Scrolls game and I was going to hate it no matter what.

This finally caught my eye and made me take a look into the game. I picked it up on sale and gave it a try. I tried very hard to nit pick any flaws I could and hate the game but I found myself playing more and more as time passed.

Now ESO is my main MMO... I don't even play any others currently... and I love it. Once I got over myself and realized that it's actually a very good MMO I started to really enjoy playing. I play almost every day now and have for over a year now. I tried very hard to hate this game but ended up loving it. Is it perfect? No, not even close but what it does right it does very right.

Bren
    We all like some things about games more than other things. For me it has always been the build diversity in ESO that hooked me from day one.

[Deleted User]MadFrenchie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Tiller said:

For real, water gun balloon race at the county fair is far more exciting and has more tactile feedback then this games combat does. 

County Fair FTW. 
    [Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Brenelael said:

Bren
    Yeah I pretty much feel the same way. I made a new character and tried again, now it's pretty much my main MMO.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    edited July 2018
    Iselin said:
    Brenelael said:

Bren
    We all like some things about games more than other things. For me it has always been the build diversity in ESO that hooked me from day one.

I love the Build Diversity as well. Another thing that this game does exceptionally well is the "organic" grouping. The way that a group of players can just come together to overcome a World Boss, Public Dungeon or Dolmen drop and work together as a team even though they are not even partied. This is something remarkable that I've never seen in any other MMO. It also breeds a more positive and helpful community than I've seen in any MMO in a very long time.

Bren
    pantaro

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Tsiya said:
    I've tried so many times to like the game myself. After an hour or so I log out and it'll be another 5-6 months before I try again for another hour. Just doesn't click with me.
    Tsiya said:
    I've tried so many times to like the game myself. After an hour or so I log out and it'll be another 5-6 months before I try again for another hour. Just doesn't click with me.

Agree.  I think it just feels like a disposable indie game, to me - like something that is just there to sink time and get you to buy more stuff, with very little attention paid to delivering actual entertainment.

This makes it feel like an utter waste of time, which is off-putting and really prevents you from "liking it," because you always have in the back of your mind that you are wasting a limited resource on something that isn't delivering any fun.

Also, I really, really hate the limited skill bars and weapon swapping - which feels awful when you only have 5 skills on your bar (compared to something like Guild Wars 2, for example).  I'd rather just have one weapon and double the skill slots.  GW2 does this so much better than ESO, and ESO is a newer game, so there is no excuse for delivering a worse experience there...

The PvP that I experienced was pretty awful, as well.  A lot of the content also feels incredibly compartmentalized.  Once you finish it, it just dies...  And then you go and find something else to do.  There is not enough continuity.

The main story was a decent playthrough, so I did at least that so that I could get at least "Single Player RPG" value out of the game... but I think something like Witcher III (base game) delivered a lot more than ESO's main story line (unsurprisingly).

The game feels/plays better on console than on PC, but I'm not going to invest such huge amounts of money in a subscription or truckload of DLC for a console game... because of Console lifecycles and the fact that Open Mics and clunky console controls (when you wan to play and chat at the same time) are just not tolerable for me.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    i dont have any goals or objectives
    Well, in ESO, you have tons of objectives but you have to set them for yourself. If your only goal is a higher gearscore, WoW is definitely a better choice.
    "If your only goal is grinding out a bad rip-off of EverQuest's Alternate Advancement points, then ESO is definitely a better choice."

See what I did there.

Try not to be disingenuous.

CPs are basically grinded out and put on at the same status as Item Levels in WoW, except they are far less exciting.  They're also almost completely passive... so you don't really feel anything other than power creep.

It's literally one of the worst AA systems I've ever seen put in an MMORPG.
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    lol and yet so many of us LOVE ESO... and have you seen their numbers?

i'm glad it is doing so good and I love that it isn't all cartoony like GW2 and WoW.

I know, I know... to each our own... but it is so nice that ESO is doing so good and that the pve and pvp are both thriving.  cryodiil is a blast and always tons of action going on in a few of the campaigns.

ESO is pretty much the best mmorpg around right now... yeah!

Sz  :)

URMAKERYashaX
    btw... when peepz state their subjective opinions as fact, which is a massive amount here on mmorpg.com, it cracks me up and drives me to state my obviously factual opinions.

it is so weird how God blessed me with such factual opinions!

mmolou
    SaunZ said:
    btw... when peepz state their subjective opinions as fact, which is a massive amount here on mmorpg.com, it cracks me up and drives me to state my obviously factual opinions.

Three things to note here......

1. Why did you necro a necro? This thread should've died long ago.

2. Did you actually read the entire thread? Or did you just read the title???? You might have noticed I gave ESO another chance and ended up sticking with it after pages of discussion.

3. Your self compliment just made you look like a weirdo, don't do that.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

Tiller said:
    SaunZ said:

2. Did you actually read the entire thread? Or did you just read the title???? You might have noticed I gave ESO another chance and ended up sticking with it after pages of discussion.

i see your confusion and it is my fault.  i wasn't talking to you, i was talking to the guy above me.  i didn't use quotes though so some how you though i was talking to your old original post... my bad.

i showed the different comments you have left me lately, in the different forums here, to my social counselor and he said that it is an obvious case of a socially awkward person trying to hit on me.

even though i am very flattered, i am already claimed.  again i apologize for you thinking i was commenting to you.

4give me,
    VaselYashaXgervaise1FangrimMrMelGibson
    SaunZ said:
    Tiller said:
    SaunZ said:

i see your confusion and it is my fault.  i wasn't talking to you, i was talking to the guy above me.  i didn't use quotes though so some how you though i was talking to your old original post... my bad.

i showed the different comments you have left me lately, in the different forums here, to my social counselor and he said that it is an obvious case of a socially awkward person trying to hit on me.

even though i am very flattered, i am already claimed.  again i apologize for you thinking i was commenting to you.

4give me,
    lmao, I'm a little to married and old for all that. Socially awkward? maybe idk, at my age I guess I don't really care anymore. The person above you is none other than you BTW. So where you replying to yourself, or someone way above? I'm confused. I figured your post was another one of those posts coming at me over the OP not realizing that the discussion had been resolved like a few others who have replied to this old thread. So if that wasn't the case then sorry.  I love this game and play daily, not here to attack it, but I can also see it's flaws.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

Tiller said:
    SaunZ said:
    Tiller said:
    SaunZ said:

4give me,
    lmao, I'm a little to married and old for all that. Socially awkward? maybe idk, at my age I guess I don't really care anymore. The person above you is none other than you BTW. So where you replying to yourself, or someone way above? I'm confused. I figured your post was another one of those posts coming at me over the OP not realizing that the discussion had been resolved like a few others who have replied to this old thread. So if that wasn't the case then sorry.  I love this game and play daily, not here to attack it, but I can also see it's flaws.

yeah, it is GREAT to see you in a good mood!  I too see ESO's flaws.  I complain about loading screens and... well... loading screens.  but, I love playing ESO and I love the ESO community.  I am in an awesome PvE guild and in an awesome PvP guild and in an awesome Trader guild... even in /zone chat I find the community very friendly and helpful.

but if I find you in Cryodiil I will gank you   :)

• JumpmanLaneJumpmanLane Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    If you’re on pc you’re playing like a noob. You’re supposed to be animation canceling lol. And use addons geeze
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Was this really necroed by a throwaway account just for the sake of a random jab?
    Xarko
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    SaunZ said:
    lol and yet so many of us LOVE ESO... and have you seen their numbers?

i'm glad it is doing so good and I love that it isn't all cartoony like GW2 and WoW.

I know, I know... to each our own... but it is so nice that ESO is doing so good and that the pve and pvp are both thriving.  cryodiil is a blast and always tons of action going on in a few of the campaigns.

ESO is pretty much the best mmorpg around right now... yeah!

Think this is a TROLL....
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    talking about Cyrodiil PvP , as much as GW2 pvp get bashed its 100's of times better then Cyrodiil PvP  crapper dumpster fire
  • DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701
    I don't like the combat at all
    sumdumguy1