Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The March on to Alpha 1, info on what is going in to the 0.40 work

NeutralEvilNeutralEvil Member UncommonPosts: 108
edited July 2018 in Chronicles of Elyria

Hey there everyone! Caspian just created a large blog about the details that SBS will be working on with the 0.40 launch. After they've successfully tested the 0.30 version he said they have got it to where they can get in as many as 2,500 people walking around in the world, checking their inventory and communicating

In the 0.40 work he's laid out a pretty big list of objectives they have in what will be their biggest work yet

Once done with this work they are looking to get into Map Voting for each of the servers and also mentioned that during a 6 week event from July/Aug that the community will be able to shape some of the history of Elyria going back to 600 years before launch!

The writeup has a lot of great info in it in regards to the Skills that will be available too!

You can check it out at https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/26802/Adventure-Intro-From-Pre-to-Alpha

What are your thoughts?

Post edited by NeutralEvil on
mystichaze

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Pretty good write up, sounds like they are making solid progress, thanks for sharing it here.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I hope they succeed! I've let some of the posts about shop/store scams sour my personal opinion on this game, but wait to be pleasantly surprised!

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    I'm actually impressed but until I see it...

It's revived little bit of hope, but I'm still a bit skeptical these days
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    edited July 2018
    He does like to continue to rename and reset the goalposts.  Can someone point out where this 0.3.0 fits on the timeline below? As far as I know, this is their latest published timeline:

1. V3 of the Website (Q3 2017)
    2. ElyriaMUD (Q4 2017)
    3. Alpha 1 (T1 2018)
    4. Server Selection (T1 2018)
    5. Settlement / Domain Selection (T2 2018)
    6. KoE (T2 2018)
    7. Design Experiences (T3 2018)
    8. Alpha 2 (T3 2018)
    9. Beta 1 (S1 2019)
    10. Prologue & CoE Adventure Toolkit (S1 2019)
    11. Exposition (S1 2019)
    12. Beta 2 (S1/S2 2019)
    13. Stress Test (Any paid account)(S2 2019)
    14. Launch (S2 2019)

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Somewhere between 2 and 3, but it looks like they skipped past 2.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NeutralEvilNeutralEvil Member UncommonPosts: 108
    He does like to continue to rename and reset the goalposts.  Can someone point out where this 0.3.0 fits on the timeline below? As far as I know, this is their latest published timeline:

2. ElyriaMUD (Q4 2017)
    3. Alpha 1 (T1 2018)
    6. KoE (T2 2018)
    8. Alpha 2 (T3 2018)
    9. Beta 1 (S1 2019)
    11. Exposition (S1 2019)
    12. Beta 2 (S1/S2 2019)
    14. Launch (S2 2019)

I'm going to say #4 is #3 (because server selection has already been done) and that #3 is #4 because, well, we already know Alpha 1 hasn't started yet

If my math is right that puts 0.30 at 3.5?

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

2. ElyriaMUD (Q4 2017)
    3. Alpha 1 (T1 2018)
    6. KoE (T2 2018)
    8. Alpha 2 (T3 2018)
    9. Beta 1 (S1 2019)
    11. Exposition (S1 2019)
    12. Beta 2 (S1/S2 2019)
    14. Launch (S2 2019)
    They announced some new schedule this January:

Pre-alpha with VoxElyria client: Spring 2018 (around april)
    Alpha 1: Later during 2018

Source: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/23401/A-Year-of-Foundation
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]

edited July 2018

2. ElyriaMUD (Q4 2017)
    3. Alpha 1 (T1 2018)
    6. KoE (T2 2018)
    8. Alpha 2 (T3 2018)
    9. Beta 1 (S1 2019)
    11. Exposition (S1 2019)
    12. Beta 2 (S1/S2 2019)
    14. Launch (S2 2019)

I'm going to say #4 is #3 (because server selection has already been done) and that #3 is #4 because, well, we already know Alpha 1 hasn't started yet

But not a single backer has been in the game (Serpentus confirmed a day or two ago) so how can they be anywhere other than before #2? Has server selection happened?

Edit to add: I just looked and a few weeks back I see Snipehunter saying:
    Server selection is a piece that will have to happen before Expo, but I’m not sure where in the process it will come.

As far as I know it has not happened...
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

2. ElyriaMUD (Q4 2017)
    3. Alpha 1 (T1 2018)
    6. KoE (T2 2018)
    8. Alpha 2 (T3 2018)
    9. Beta 1 (S1 2019)
    11. Exposition (S1 2019)
    12. Beta 2 (S1/S2 2019)
    14. Launch (S2 2019)

But not a single backer has been in the game (Serpentus confirmed a day or two ago) so how can they be anywhere other than before #2? Has server selection happened?

Server selection is a piece that will have to happen before Exop, but I’m not sure where in the process it will come.

I've already created a custom surname and when doing so had to select a specific server. Not sure if that counts as "server selection" or not. That is what I considered to be Server Selection

The Domain/Settlement selection is the piece that has to wait for the actual world maps to be generated, and this is a piece of the 0.40 puzzle that is being worked on/created right now with the much anticipated Map Voting to follow (hopefully shortly) thereafter

Kyleran said:
    I agree, it would appear they may be skipping past MUD
    Kyleran said:
    Right. Someone posted a Discord conversation JW had late one Sat evening where he elaborated on the current progress and stated there would be no summer state of the game this year.

He never once mentioned the term ElyriaMud or Vox client access nor is either term referenced in this latest update.  I'm thinking they have dropped this idea and are going with a different approach.

Kyleran said:
    You guys are falling for “Caspien-Speak”.  He’s not skipping past the MUD (VoxElyria). It’s all just normal dangling of the carrot. Watch and see.  Be sure to come back here when he announces the first high level backers get access to VoxElyria.

Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Right. Someone posted a Discord conversation JW had late one Sat evening where he elaborated on the current progress and stated there would be no summer state of the game this year.

He never once mentioned the term ElyriaMud or Vox client access nor is either term referenced in this latest update.  I'm thinking they have dropped this idea and are going with a different approach.
    If he skips VoxElyria I’ll eat my hat.  Actually I’ll go buy a pledge package and post it here.

Should he have skipped it?  Sure. But he’s got too much pride to admit it was a wasteful concept.

2. ElyriaMUD (Q4 2017)
    3. Alpha 1 (T1 2018)
    6. KoE (T2 2018)
    8. Alpha 2 (T3 2018)
    9. Beta 1 (S1 2019)
    11. Exposition (S1 2019)
    12. Beta 2 (S1/S2 2019)
    14. Launch (S2 2019)

Server selection is a piece that will have to happen before Expo, but I’m not sure where in the process it will come.

Good catch about no users getting in, this comment in the linked update had led me to believe otherwise.  Guess they tested it with bots like CU did in their initial alpha cycles.

"The goal of Release 0.3.0 was to have the platform at a point where we could get as many as 2,500 people walking around in the world, checking their inventory, equipment, and character sheets, and interacting with one another through communication. Mission accomplished; but walking and talking does not a game make!"

Kyleran said:

2. ElyriaMUD (Q4 2017)
    3. Alpha 1 (T1 2018)
    6. KoE (T2 2018)
    8. Alpha 2 (T3 2018)
    9. Beta 1 (S1 2019)
    11. Exposition (S1 2019)
    12. Beta 2 (S1/S2 2019)
    14. Launch (S2 2019)

Good catch about no users getting in, this comment in the linked update had led me to believe otherwise.  Guess they tested it with bots like CU did in their initial alpha cycles.

"The goal of Release 0.3.0 was to have the platform at a point where we could get as many as 2,500 people walking around in the world, checking their inventory, equipment, and character sheets, and interacting with one another through communication. Mission accomplished; but walking and talking does not a game make!"
    Yup, that was a very good catch, I had mis-read the Blog and updated the OP with the right info
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Kyleran said:

I'm not sure if they've tested it with that many bots. Notice that they're saying they could get, not that they can get, or that they've got.

edited July 2018
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:

I'm not sure if they've tested it with that many bots. Notice that they're saying they could get, not that they can get, or that they've got.

Yup.  “Caspien-Speak”.  Some people keep falling for it.  

Also this is IMHO, all about creating hype for their upcoming 6 week sale event which will be woven into the whole “let the community shape some of the history of Elyria” stuff.  

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited July 2018
    Why do I feel like I am left with more questions than answers?
    It's like I'm trying to go back and watch that old TV series but forgot what episode I left off on and inadvertently picked up 2 or 3 episodes later than I should have.
    (Stuff in between is missing)
    KyleranSlapshot1188
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Vrika said:
    Kyleran said:

Yup.  “Caspien-Speak”.  Some people keep falling for it.  

Also this is IMHO, all about creating hype for their upcoming 6 week sale event which will be woven into the whole “let the community shape some of the history of Elyria” stuff.  
    I'm sorry, but the concept of 'letting the community shape some of the history of Elyria' sounds very much like a developer who is too lazy to write a fictional history for themselves.  Odd that too much backstory seems to be a common problem with writers.  More thought seems to go into what happens before chapter 1 than what comes after.

You're probably right, @Slapshot1188.  Allowing the customers to write the backstory *will* make a good sale item.  Whales with egos.  What is this world coming to?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

After they've successfully tested the 0.30 version he said they have got it to where they can get in as many as 2,500 people walking around in the world, checking their inventory and communicating.

Hey! Only 97,500 more people to go until they reach the 100,000 players per server they boasted about during KS. 
    NeutralEvilSlapshot1188
    --------------------------------------------

After they've successfully tested the 0.30 version he said they have got it to where they can get in as many as 2,500 people walking around in the world, checking their inventory and communicating.

Hey! Only 97,500 more people to go until they reach the 100,000 players per server they boasted about during KS. 
    That was back when they said:

"How are you going to build a world this large, with a hundred thousands players, and all these never-before-seen features?!" The answer is SpatialOS. 
    SpatialOS will act as the fabric that our game is built on. It's the server technology that will allow us to support millions of entities in the world. Built first and foremost as a scalable, distributed operating system for games, SpatialOS means we don't have to spend time developing the things that generally take the most time when building a new MMO. 

But as we know... SpatialOS is no longer part of CoE.

2. ElyriaMUD (Q4 2017)
    3. Alpha 1 (T1 2018)
    6. KoE (T2 2018)
    8. Alpha 2 (T3 2018)
    9. Beta 1 (S1 2019)
    11. Exposition (S1 2019)
    12. Beta 2 (S1/S2 2019)
    14. Launch (S2 2019)

Server selection is a piece that will have to happen before Exop, but I’m not sure where in the process it will come.

I've already created a custom surname and when doing so had to select a specific server. Not sure if that counts as "server selection" or not. That is what I considered to be Server Selection

The Domain/Settlement selection is the piece that has to wait for the actual world maps to be generated, and this is a piece of the 0.40 puzzle that is being worked on/created right now with the much anticipated Map Voting to follow (hopefully shortly) thereafter

Actually, you have gotten confused (I do not blame you as it's normal for Caspien-Speak to cause such confusion).   Surname selection is NOT server selection.  Here is one of the Community Ambassadors explaining the difference two weeks ago:

'❥Winterlynn❄ ꙮ |⍲|-07/03/2018

@squinky doo Apologies for the delay! So it's pretty unclear at the moment and would be best to ask for clarification when Caspian is available in the Coe chat channel. As it currently stands it seems as though you may be able to later reserve on multiple servers. However it's unclear at this moment in time. From what I've gathered you reserving your surname on a server only reserves your surname and doesn't lock you to that server, that would come later during the time of "server selection" where you would proceed to lock your starting souls to a server. Upon reading further the surname rename tokens would allow for you to change the server you select your surname on if you changed your mind about the sever you want to play on, granted that it is available on that server. If it's not available on that server you'll have to pick another name for that different server.

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    I'm really confused what up to 2500 people would be walking around IN . Is it VoxElyria? A mock up town? A dev test environment?  You can have 2500 people chatting, walking and having inventories in a browser based game.  Saying you can have up to 2500 people is nothing without context
    Interitus said:
    I'm really confused what up to 2500 people would be walking around IN . Is it VoxElyria? A mock up town? A dev test environment?  You can have 2500 people chatting, walking and having inventories in a browser based game.  Saying you can have up to 2500 people is nothing without context
    Don't you worry, Caspian said "mission accomplished," on to bigger and better things.

;)
    Slapshot1188

edited July 2018
    Interitus said:
    The way I see it, it can be one of only three things:

A. The Earth's core
    B. The 11th dimension
    C. The game?

My money is on their VoxElyria/ElyriaMUD. I'd also wager it's probably a small town given they are currently working on the world building engine that will create the actual land masses for each game server
    Post edited by NeutralEvil on
    Kyleran