Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Best MMOs of 2018 So Far - The List - MMORPG.com

Comments

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Kyleran said:

lahnmir said:

It is kind of ironic that in the age of GAaS (games as a service) the most obvious one of them all, the mmorpg, is being hugely neglected. Too much of an effort I guess. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Right? Looking at this list as I wrote it - I'm very happy to see some games that are years old doing so well still. But come on... where's the GOOD new stuff?

You know Bill, I opened this story expecting to slag on all of your non MMO choices, but was surprised that I couldn't

Only one title I wouldn't have included but have decided now to give it a try, (never know, I might be wrong, happens occassionally) ;) and I greatly appreciated you keeping it to released titles.

Well done sir, well done.

Just wondering; which title you are going to try?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Zorgo said:

Kyleran said:

lahnmir said:

It is kind of ironic that in the age of GAaS (games as a service) the most obvious one of them all, the mmorpg, is being hugely neglected. Too much of an effort I guess. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Right? Looking at this list as I wrote it - I'm very happy to see some games that are years old doing so well still. But come on... where's the GOOD new stuff?

You know Bill, I opened this story expecting to slag on all of your non MMO choices, but was surprised that I couldn't

Only one title I wouldn't have included but have decided now to give it a try, (never know, I might be wrong, happens occassionally) ;) and I greatly appreciated you keeping it to released titles.

Well done sir, well done.

Just wondering; which title you are going to try?
    Warframe.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

MMO's can be so profitable, I'm just not sure why no one has been able to get the formula right since WOW.

There is no formula, as the many failed WoW imitators show. Those that try to follow in those footsteps will be at best overshadowed by them, if not eventually swallowed into oblivion.
  • SilynseSilynse Member UncommonPosts: 19
    edited July 2018
    The MMO genre is absolutely abysmal. PERIOD. I literally stare at my games library some days and just need a drink afterward for the lack of games out there to play with friends.

Know what we gather from a list like this? Well, lets see:

Lets play ESO! ESO has stiff and boring animations that are recycled to NPC's and player characters across all different classes... so right there, BORING; and then even if you try to play it late game or remake a hero, players rush through the dungeons at such a ferocious speed these days, that if you haven't ran the dungeon before, you spend at least 30 seconds to a minute running out of stamina catching up to your team; that is, by the time you click through the NPC conversation, not reading or listening to any of it, because no one cares to wait. Whomever wrote the THOUSANDS of lines of acted dialogue, his work might as well have been pissed on and fed to fire ants.... cuz the players sure as hell don't care to pay attention.
    Its all about those veteran points or something convoluted as a leveling system they had to create to fix the original broken idea they pushed out too soon. Hooray Zenimax! You beautiful conglomerate, you do such a good job at being greedy and lackluster! You silly gooses!
    Out side of that, you spend 99 percent of the game alone, or spamming in general chat for 25 minutes for help from a guildmate or a passerby, so you can kill some world boss you ran across, and are willing to sit there playing /lute while you wait, because honestly, that friggin LUTE is the best part of the entire game in some areas!
    Might as well play EVE?

-EVE Online. Hold your horses gamers we have a potential winner! Fanboys WAIT....: For most depressing experience in gaming EVER!
    YOU ARE going to spend 99.99 percent of the first MONTH of this "MMO" playing alone until you get picked up by a corporation as a low end no body, knowing nobody, talking to hardly anyone or nobody, and feeling like you are the new guy whos been put in the closet to do your work with your coke-bottle spectacles like this is friggin OfficeSpace!
    Then you might get to run missions that are so lack luster, and lack such money making potential that they force you to get a normal "job" in the game... so, welcome to real life... in EVE... real life job in a game.... wait, dont I play games to get away from my real life and job?!?! THE F**K?!?!
    Well maybe we can go back to WoW!

-WoW.... hasn't been amazing since Vanilla, and hasn't been interesting storyline-wise, really, since WoTK.
    Then there is the problem that the story has COMPLETELY broken with the lore from the actual lore that was created with the original Warcraft games; especially that panda fiasco... fat ninja, bears?? Which CEO party did they get so baked at, that they came up with that idea and thought it was good??!
    So now what? Who's actually fighting who anymore there? Oh, right, humans and orcs and undead... ok, so, lets go back to that... in a month or so... after pissing off EVERYONE with weapons that were supposed to evolve with your hero???
    They really gotta stop getting baked at those parties...
    On top of this BS, you are going to deal with SEVERELY STIFF ANIMATIONS originally CREATED in probably 2003, sub-par graphics, a queue for dungeon, AND QUESTING, and LITERALLY THE WHOLE GAME; that makes going out into the damn world pretty much redundant and unnecessary. We all might as well sit in a hub, wait for group, and go out on a dungeon adventure or PVP!!!

(WELP THAT POINT COVERS DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS ONLINE! NO NEED TO GO INTO THAT GAME NOW!)

Wow has animations for super abilities that look like they are straight out of Nintendo 64... no, thats an insult to the 64. They look like something a kid made to show off in his English class to his 8th grade friend in the back of the classroom when he wasn't doing his homework... (yes, take a real honest look at the game. You know I am right. Its absurd. I have a friend who works there, they all joke about it... game makes like a billion a month, and they animate like that.... I refuse to pay for that, so should you.)
    No storyline choices.
    Gear dependent leveling that is so insanely ridiculous even the developer had to tweak it back one hundred thousand notches of DPS....
    ok this is way to childish any longer, and looks horrible, and reminds me that whomever bought the IP seriously spent NO time looking over the lore... im over it.
    Maybe we can go to....

-TROVE? LULZ Im not 10. FF14 anyone?

-Ok, this game has its moments, and honestly, of the list, could be the best there... except for one glaring issue... EVERY SINGLE CHARCTER and CUTSCENE is like watching some giant baby giggle and make some cutsie comment, and laugh at some incredibly NOT FUNNY JOKE.... and act like we got 15 minutes to talk about the issues, WHILE THE WORLD IS ENDING.
    Play FF14. And feel the wave of disbelief as you constantly mentally teleport yourself back to the 1990's SNES days, where you made up the dialogue on your own because the translated Japanese writing was so bad and there wasn't exceptional graphics, so you played for storyline. Then teleport 20 friggin years back into the future, realize you are doing it again with tech and graphics where YOU SHOULDN'T have to do that... put away FF14, sit in a corner, throw on some goth clothes, and makeup and join.... Secret World??

- Secret world? The game where I can wait for HOURS for just ONE emu kid to hop on and play, and then, not help me out or group while he runs around me looking like he's straight out of FF 15... (At any point if there is a flying car Imma punch someone.)
    Nah im good... looking for the MM part of MMO here...

- oh wait! We got Guild Wars 2! Oh yeah! ……
    Ok, truth time; you would have an easier time getting into an original writing of the poetic version of Iliad and They Odyssey at this point; because hoping into that game now is like joining your date half way through sex... you feel inept and undeserving and alone through any of the beginning moves and ideas, and if you hop into the later material, its just a sloppy mess.
    Lest face it, in this game you only have PVP, a story you barely can grasp or understand because you missed the past 3 years of it and forgot this game existed, and instead of every class feeling OP and needing balance, it feels like every class is underpowered and lackluster.... Maybe BDO?

-BDO is a game you play and dont play. You play it so you can play a single player RPG, with no point, no real bad guy, no real boss fights, and no real storyline.... and then when you go to sleep, you cant sleep unless you have white noise (And this is where BDO shines!) you leave it running all night while your character looks at the screen longingly for you to move him or her, because they too are BORED OUT OF THEIR MINDS with nothing to do but GRIND unforgivingly to 50, so you can feel like less than nothing when you are beaten consistently by some 12 year old at PVP.

I guess its back to MOBAs; Or the Dark Souls Franchise.... Which ever one makes me feel like I wanna blow my brains out first in depressive frustration at this industry's lack of respect for who buys its products.
    I miss when the gaming industry gave a SHIT about gamers, and was excited to bring original, and FULLY DEVELOPED CONTENT. So we could have a list of new MMO's here; and not just an unspoken list of MMO's that were trash because no one in the dev crew had the business acumen or the balls to tell the investors in the beginning that they would need to be patient to make a long lasting product.
    Im gonna go play my own MMO now... its called drink heavy and pass out after seeing this pathetic, and very realistic, unchanged for half a decade, list.
    Post edited by Silynse on
    NildenKyleranScotEQBallzz
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

Sephiroso said:

I think i would have preferred Tera/Rift over Trove and Secret World Legends, but that's just me being nitpicky.

Yeah, it's a solid list, but if I want to quibble, I might take out Neverwinter or Trove and put in SWTOR.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Good list, but yeah, hopefully there are some newer entries come 2019/2020/2021 (if only to give the current incumbents a kick in the pants) ...

Personally, I'm hoping for:
    The Division 2 (hey, if Warframe counts)
    Pantheon (showing that 'old school' still works when done right)
    Camelot Unchained (one for the PvPers)
    Ashes of Creation (pipe dream but... PvP and PvE in a 'dynamic' world done right?)
    Crowfall (personally not too hopeful, but hey, the more good, and different, games the better)
  • HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163
    I'm still playing Mabinogi 10 years later. Aside from Nexon being in love with gacha, the game is quite unique and has ample things to do.
    I have to say, reading this thread brought this classic to mind.

kitarad

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    I've played most of the games on that list. I find myself looking into old titles, like DAoC ,while I wait for new titles to get released rather than continue to play the ones listed, which seem shallow.

The only game that seems to have depth is Eve, which I'm currently playing part time-ish... but damn if that game isn't flat out overwhelming, incredibly slow to start and harsh in terms of making a mistake.

I'm a backer for Crowfall, which seems like it will be pretty decent, and Star Citizen, which seems like it will be incredible, but simply won't work for me... ever. It's like I download a virus every time I try to log in.

It's definitely the dark age for MMOs.
  • BanchouBanchou Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Neverwinter? lol....
    EQBallzz
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I’m so uncomfortable doing this, but TOLD YOU SO, again...

“By the end of 2016 The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited will become the biggest western mmorpg surpassing WoW. I predict ESO will sell a minimum of 10 million copies“ - BCBully Dec. 2015

Year and a half off, w/e ha!

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/437376/bold-prediction-for-the-future-of-eso
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    bcbully said:
    I’m so uncomfortable doing this, but TOLD YOU SO, again...

“By the end of 2016 The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited will become the biggest western mmorpg surpassing WoW. I predict ESO will sell a minimum of 10 million copies“ - BCBully Dec. 2015

Year and a half off, w/e ha!

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/437376/bold-prediction-for-the-future-of-eso
    Funny walk down memory lane. A lot of the talk there was about expanding to the Asian market which never did happen in any significant way. They did eventually do a Japanese localization but I guess that didn't go as well as they hoped to warrant further localizations for the Chinese and Korean markets.

I also always thought 10 mil was very doable since it was always meant to be on consoles as well as PC/Mac.

And BTW you did back off on the 2016 bit in that thread. You eventually went with end of 2017 which turned out to be the correct date.
    bcbully
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Is WoW still the King? I thought I read both ESO and FF14 have more active players...

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Gutlard said:
    Is WoW still the King? I thought I read both ESO and FF14 have more active players...

Gut Out!
    I seriously doubt ESO or FF14 have more active players than WOW. The gap between WOW and the others is not as big as it once was but IMO, it's still #1.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Iselin said:
    Gutlard said:

Gut Out!
    I seriously doubt ESO or FF14 have more active players than WOW. The gap between WOW and the others is not as big as it once was but IMO, it's still #1.
    Maybe I got active players and copies sold mixed then....

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Started playing Warframe a couple of weeks back after hearing about it for years. Gotta say the game is a lot of fun, has loads of content and awesome mechanics. The one thing that gets some people is the lack of in-game guides as there is a lot going on under the surface. For me though, that's a positive as it's F2P it keeps away the mouth breathers who usually won't entertain the idea of looking up guides on the net.

Just a shame Bungie didn't put as much effort in to Destiny 2, as I liked the game but yeah the content was a bit thin at max level.
    Kyleran
  • stuart45stuart45 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Don't see why Archeage isnt mentioned at least Neverwinter was :)
  • LenoxLenox Member UncommonPosts: 100
    edited July 2018
    total snooze fest.... none of these games are from 2018 and who thought to put eve online (2003) on this list.. i think u are missing ultima online too :D

By far the dumbest list of 2018:

Neverwinter - 2013
    Eve Online - 2003
    Guild Wars 2 - 2012
    Final Fantasy 14 - 2010
    ESO - 2014
    Warframe - 2013
    WoW - 2004
    Trove - 2015
    Secret World -  2012
    BDO - 2014

P.S.

Bill i love your videos and columns .. but what did you smoke before you wrote this list?
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    I'm... logging in to BDO and FF14 but that's more an indication of changing habits. The days when I actually sit and play a game for 6 hrs are all but gone. In any case, I look at up and coming and I don't see anything that makes my ears perk up.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Lenox said:
    total snooze fest.... none of these games are from 2018 and who thought to put eve online (2003) on this list.. i think u are missing ultima online too :D

Neverwinter - 2013
    Eve Online - 2003
    Guild Wars 2 - 2012
    Final Fantasy 14 - 2010
    ESO - 2014
    Warframe - 2013
    WoW - 2004
    Trove - 2015
    Secret World -  2012
    BDO - 2014

P.S.

Bill i love your videos and columns .. but what did you smoke before you wrote this list?
    Except it's not a best of released mmo's of 2018, it's a list of mmo's that are shining examples in 2018.
    Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Lenox said:

Neverwinter - 2013
    Eve Online - 2003
    Guild Wars 2 - 2012
    Final Fantasy 14 - 2010
    ESO - 2014
    Warframe - 2013
    WoW - 2004
    Trove - 2015
    Secret World -  2012
    BDO - 2014

P.S.

Except it's not a best of released mmo's of 2018, it's a list of mmo's that are shining examples in 2018.
    As well as a great example for making a case that not many great MMOs have been released in recent years.

The classics are still the best sometimes. 

• LenoxLenox Member UncommonPosts: 100
    @sovrath shining of what? neverwinter / bdo that are the glorified example of p2w? eso that has the same bugs since beta where u have to cancel animations just to be competitive in dps? wow that refuses to die year after year? secret world legends that had to go semi f2p just to stay afloat? what are they shining examples in 2018? of what NOT to do? 
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

MMO's can be so profitable, I'm just not sure why no one has been able to get the formula right since WOW.

because they are not thinking rather just rushing something out that plays the same as whats already out. Rushed and hopeful of a cash grab (well carnt be that thesedays).

Make a game thats player orientaed, not many NPC cities maybe 1 per island, with teh odd scattered NPC village. Players MUST create and build their own starting from a maximum of 5 players per clan/guild and going up with quests done, guild level achieved etc which unlocks new buildings to build and create.

Items can be found but the the best are player made which would require materials which can be found or rare items broken down for some of these mats.

Something like what WoW has now and what these Survival Building Games have, cross breed them. Make caves that are 100 levels deep but guilds can create portals to say lvl 25 but to do this certain things MUST be met and found and learned etc.

Bring something NEW to the table and not just rehash the same stuff thats already available, peeps come go hmmm i will go back to what i played before as this is the same shaz so why would i play it. Word goes round and peeps dont bother.... game dies and peeps start shouting MMO's are dead. There only dead cos nothing new has been done in over a decade, thats why WoW is still top and yes WoW killed all the other MMO's but it got boring and still has stupid country segregation.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    So basically all old stuff.
    Rhygarth