Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - Bill Murphy - ArenaNet and the Wisdom of Not Doing Anything - MMORPG.com

1151617181921»

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Well, the opinion piece of that Forbes "contributor" didn't have to take center stage here, beyond the loose relationship between how people perceive gaming journalism.

As for the actual Anet news, the coverage was generally speaking sexist (promote a sexist angle that didn't exist for the female developer, completely ignore the male).

For gamers it was news worthy, because it was the rare moment where these days a games company chose to side with the side of the customer, in a cut a dry case where the customer was right.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Ungood said:
    laserit said:
    Ungood said:
    Aori said:
    Ungood said:
    This topic amuses me greatly.. and if I ever was (which I am not) planning to make an MMO, just reinforces why I would never slum it in the trenches with the masses.

I can barely deal with most of you as a group that I could not care less about, if my job depended on being nice to you all, that would be the embodiment of a living hell.
    Was that necessary? I think most of the people here have been respectful in this discussion. Any MMO would kill for a community that could maintain courtesy and respect towards each other in the manner most of us have here when in disagreement and debate.
    "tell me who you work for so I can boycot them" Yup.. feeling that civility and respect.
    lol

Respect is earned and when you fling shit some will come flying right back at you.

It's quite obvious that you're not a people person.

You have to worthy of my respect before I will bother to earn yours.. see how that works.

I'm going to bet you don't.. but that is your unfounded entitlement talking. heads up, your mommy lied, you're not special or important, you are just a normal, average, nothing  noteworthy about you, person like billions of other people in the world today.

So to say this again, if You want anyone to make an effort to earn your respect, you first need to show you are deserving of that effort.. right now.. I am vastly unimpressed.
    I'd say that you have an over inflated value of your self worth, a legend in your own mind.

I'm going to bet that I smile a hell of a lot more than you do.

Aeander

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited July 2018
    Ungood said:
    laserit said:
    Ungood said:
    Aori said:
    Ungood said:
    This topic amuses me greatly.. and if I ever was (which I am not) planning to make an MMO, just reinforces why I would never slum it in the trenches with the masses.

I can barely deal with most of you as a group that I could not care less about, if my job depended on being nice to you all, that would be the embodiment of a living hell.
    Was that necessary? I think most of the people here have been respectful in this discussion. Any MMO would kill for a community that could maintain courtesy and respect towards each other in the manner most of us have here when in disagreement and debate.
    "tell me who you work for so I can boycot them" Yup.. feeling that civility and respect.
    lol

Respect is earned and when you fling shit some will come flying right back at you.

You have to worthy of my respect before I will bother to earn yours.. see how that works.

I'm going to bet you don't.. but that is your unfounded entitlement talking. heads up, your mommy lied, you're not special or important, you are just a normal, average, nothing  noteworthy about you, person like billions of other people in the world today.

So to say this again, if You want anyone to make an effort to earn your respect, you first need to show you are deserving of that effort.. right now.. I am vastly unimpressed.
    Literally everything you just said could just as easily be said about you, and this is coming from someone who attempts to give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they demonstrate that they do not deserve it.

I repeat my earlier statement. The funny thing about respect is that for respect to matter, the one giving it must also be worthy of receiving it. Prove that you are instead of just assuming that you are.
    laserit
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    edited July 2018
    laserit said:
    I'd say that you have an over inflated value of your self worth, a legend in your own mind.

No.. I am just a generic human like you, nothing special, you are no more deserving of my respect then I am of yours, we are both equally worthless, and the sooner you also embrace that, the sooner you can pull your head out of your ass and realize the world does not revolve around you, that the truth hurts, and just because someone is paid to be nice does not mean they are either a nice person or that they like you.

The fact that any of you are shocked by that little bit of revelation is a bad joke, told poorly.
    PhryEponyxDamorJeffSpicoliFlyByKnightInteritus
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited July 2018
    Aeander said:
    Ungood said:
    laserit said:
    Ungood said:
    Aori said:
    Ungood said:

lol

Literally everything you just said could just as easily be said about you, and this is coming from someone who attempts to give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they demonstrate that they do not deserve it.

I repeat my earlier statement. The funny thing about respect is that for respect to matter, the one giving it must also be worthy of receiving it. Prove that you are instead of just assuming that you are.
    Exactly.. which is why it is moronic to say "respect is earned" because, reality check, none of us here are really deserving of more or less respect then anyone else.

So, if I Do not respect you.. I have no need nor desire to earn your respect, nor do I care if I do not get it.. sinking it yet that these lines about respect are just your over inflated sense of self worth talking and have no real value?

Added:

With that said "Good Day Sir"
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• hanshotfirsthanshotfirst Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Still no self-awareness or mea culpa? Just more antagonistic sophistry with a dash of nihilism?

Yup, seems about par for course. 
    AeanderPhryYashaX
    MadFrenchie said:
    all because we don't agree that going apeshit on a consumer who is politely giving feedback is okay

Ok stop right here.. She basically said "My Dude, Don't tell me how to do my job" and while  she was not ass kissing nice, she was not in fact rude.

The fact that anyone thinks that was going "Apeshit" is pitiful.

And you know.. tell me.. since you work with public clients, don't you just fucking LOVE being told how to do your job by people who don't know how to do your job? 

Doesn't that irritate the hell out of you?

Which goes back to being the consumer you want to deal with.

Was this a super polite person getting attacked by the evil dev, or was this someone with the barefaced audacity to tell a professional how do their job and being told "My Dude, Don't tell me how to do my job".

Just let that process for a few seconds before you go running off screaming how I am wrong.
    AeanderEponyxDamor

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited July 2018
    Ungood said:
    MadFrenchie said:
    all because we don't agree that going apeshit on a consumer who is politely giving feedback is okay

Ok stop right here.. She basically said "My Dude, Don't tell me how to do my job" and while  she was not ass kissing nice, she was not in fact rude.

The fact that anyone thinks that was going "Apeshit" is pitiful.

And you know.. tell me.. since you work with public clients, don't you just fucking LOVE being told how to do your job by people who don't know how to do your job? 

Doesn't that irritate the hell out of you?

Which goes back to being the consumer you want to deal with.

Was this a super polite person getting attacked by the evil dev, or was this someone with the barefaced audacity to tell a professional how do their job and being told "My Dude, Don't tell me how to do my job".

Just let that process for a few seconds before you go running off screaming how I am wrong.
    No, she proceeded to retweet him and directly imply he was being a sexist asshole, when in fact Deroir is a huge fan of Price in general and loves her responses during AMAs, saying so approximately a week before politely engaging his favorite dev for additional dialogue regarding (guess what???  Wait for it.....) an AMA...

But yea, he's just a sexist piece of shit that needed to have his account (which, being a streamer, is directly related to his real identity) put on blast to try and rouse an internet mob against him.  By the way, that would be doing exactly what she later accuses ANet of doing reference the public statement about the firing.

She continued to make inflammatory responses indicating she held general contempt for customers regarding sexism, specifically referencing the issue where none was to be found.  She has not yet indicated she even realizes the comment was not a pursuit of sexism by Deroir (at least, not that I've seen).  Pride comes before the fall, as I alluded to.  Her actions would've gotten anyone fired, regardless of the false context they were submitting for their remarks, because the statements are recorded online and it's plain as day that Deroir was a fan trying to engage a developer he was a fan of, and was not rude in the way he tried to engage said developer.

You have somehow twisted a thread about that employee's firing into a way to imply this entire community is "shit" and put yourself above everyone here, whom you care not the opinions of, har har har!

As such, this is the last response you'll get from me: you're just wrong.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    YashaXEponyxDamor[Deleted User]Vynt

• krevrakrevra Member UncommonPosts: 50
    You babies still crying over this, get over it stop being such special snowflakes lol
    krevra said:
    You babies still crying over this, get over it stop being such special snowflakes lol
    This case is actually newsworthy exactly because it's of the complete opposite spectrum of what normally happens. What normally happens is:
    • The partial knowledgeable attempt to educate the rest. They look like fools from the point of view of the fully knowledgeable.
    • People behave like spoiled children when trying to gain the attention of developers. From annoyingly persistent to extremely rude.
    • Developer interaction with the public is generally professional and courteous. Companies stand behind and support said developers in those interactions.
    • Even in cases where developer interaction is unprofessional and nasty, companies still seem to provide their support on the outside.
    It's also an odd case for other reasons:
    • The developer evoked the sexist and rude customer card where none existed.
    • The gaming media at large covered it in a sexist manner, by completely ignoring the male developer that got fired.
    • A company took the side of the customer instead of doubling down and assaulting him. Odd in today's climate, where such assaults are even orchestrated by the companies themselves (see Battlefield 5 "controversy").
    Time will tell what the end result for Anet will be.

In any case, I don't think that the gaming press will let the story die, simply because it's too good an opportunity to generate traffic in a period where there isn't much happening in regards to actual gaming news.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    edited July 2018
    Ungood said:
    laserit said:

No.. I am just a generic human like you, nothing special, you are no more deserving of my respect then I am of yours, we are both equally worthless, and the sooner you also embrace that, the sooner you can pull your head out of your ass and realize the world does not revolve around you, that the truth hurts, and just because someone is paid to be nice does not mean they are either a nice person or that they like you.

The fact that any of you are shocked by that little bit of revelation is a bad joke, told poorly.
    Saying that by default you are worthless, that should never ever be the case, it seems like rather than start from the possibility that there should be mutual respect, that instead you should automatically disrespect each other because you are equally worthless, while i would agree that respect has to be earned, that also means disrespect has to also be earned, you cannot judge someone to be worthless without good reason it is not the default from which to begin, besides, if you don't respect yourself how the heck are you ever going to be able to respect someone else? :o
    EponyxDamorfrostymug
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited July 2018
    Ungood said:
    laserit said:

Actually the truth is great. Your absolutley correct the world does not revolve around me, I revolve around it. If your ever in my area, give me a PM, I'll buy you a beer... a nice lunch and write it off. You can truly see how terrible and mundane my pathetic little life is.

One of my closest friends is a lesbian from Georgia who's basically been gutted like a pig in her fight against cancer.  She has no problem laughing and smiling, she's an inspiration for me.

I'm here for a good time, not a long time.

Life is short, no bitterness here.

Ungood

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited July 2018
    Why is that a controversial statement exactly? It sounds completely reasonable that if you want somebody to do advertising work for you, that you'd pay him.

That blogspot entry was the best you could find to show how bad TB was?
    Which btw TLTR version is that I got told by my boss when I made a personal attack towards TB for an opinion he had and he complained about it. We then talked and all is fine.

The rest are personal opinion, so I won't delve into them.

YashaX
  • krevrakrevra Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Xasapis said:
    krevra said:
    This case is actually newsworthy exactly because it's of the complete opposite spectrum of what normally happens. What normally happens is:
    • The partial knowledgeable attempt to educate the rest. They look like fools from the point of view of the fully knowledgeable.
    • People behave like spoiled children when trying to gain the attention of developers. From annoyingly persistent to extremely rude.
    • Developer interaction with the public is generally professional and courteous. Companies stand behind and support said developers in those interactions.
    • Even in cases where developer interaction is unprofessional and nasty, companies still seem to provide their support on the outside.
    • The gaming media at large covered it in a sexist manner, by completely ignoring the male developer that got fired.
    • A company took the side of the customer instead of doubling down and assaulting him. Odd in today's climate, where such assaults are even orchestrated by the companies themselves (see Battlefield 5 "controversy").

In any case, I don't think that the gaming press will let the story die, simply because it's too good an opportunity to generate traffic in a period where there isn't much happening in regards to actual gaming news.

What you mean what the end result will be, lol that already happened they got rightfully fired, case closed.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I wish I had two more arms and hands so I could give everyone who is in the middle on this and know J. Price was absolutely in the wrong high fives, while simultaneously slapping the the back of the heads of people thinking this is a "snowflake" issue, or a "freedom of speech liberteh" issue.

Polar opposites, but equally as stupid.
    EponyxDamor
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    krevra said:
    Xasapis said:
    krevra said:

What you mean what the end result will be, lol that already happened they got rightfully fired, case closed.
    The loss of two developers experienced with the project is something that will affect the overall project, even in the short run. Even when an experienced developer leaves his spot in amicable terms, like the recent Bioware one that left the Anthem development, his absence will be felt for a time. In an unscheduled departure the absence is felt even more.

Then you have the case of Price trying her best to damage her former company. For all the people that were looking closely at the events, it's pretty obvious who was in the wrong. However, a good portion of the casual crowd will be misinformed by the distorted narrative that is been spinned by the majority of gaming press.

Of course I can argue that negative bias from the gaming press towards a certain project is actually good news these days. It actually has the opposite effect of what was intended. Which is why I said that time will tell whether this particular incident will end up being a net positive or negative for Anet in the long run.
  • VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    I love your site Bill Murphy but to side with Jessica Price is the wrong side of this issue. The most repugnant part of her behavior is the way she links all of her own problems and consequences to gender issues. This cheapens all such legitimate gender issues. Regardless of your thoughts on her punishment for her twitter use actions her misuse of gender issues in her subsequent responses are by far a worse offense.
    IselinYashaXPemminEponyxDamor
  • DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Deserved to be fired. Absolutely good riddance.
  • Nickjc1985Nickjc1985 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    @BillMurphy I normally enjoy your articles but the only "straws" around here are the ones you're grasping at. Perpetuating this juvenile nonsense reflects poorly on both you and MMORPG.com . Are you lacking material this badly?
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    Social media is mob sized witch-hunt of trans-McCarthyism scope. Anything posted on it can quickly and easily get out of hand, potentially having severe negative repercussions for those tied to the poster, such as the company they work for and are thus associated with.

Accordingly, in response to this hyper-sensitivity companies have become hyper-vigilant, with response to public misconduct becoming comparatively swift and extreme than in the past.

Price should have known this, and accordingly ensure her public conduct was exemplary. Fries should have known better than to publicly support a colleague demonstrating public misconduct.

Given the above the outcome for both is no surprise.
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    Amathe said:
    I read the series of e-mails and my take-aways were:

1. I get how having some random person stopping by your twitter feed to suggest how you should do your job is irritating. Of course, the employee did create that Twitter feed and listed her role at AN on it.

2. I also get that people talking to Devs about what they should be doing differently is nothing new, nothing wrong, and happens constantly. So a Dev has to either hide from people (thinking of you Sean Spicer) or be able to play nice when they are questioned.

3. AN could have suspended these employees for a week and avoided a lot of this bad press. Maybe with some anger management required. Maybe requiring an apology.
    If he was actually telling her how to do her job sure. He at no point said she or Anet should of done the stuff he suggested. He simply offered the opinion that it might get people more invested in the player character and roleplay community if there was branching dialogue. 
    YashaX
    sayuu said:
    Scellow said:
    None of them should have been fired, they HAVE THE FUCKING RIGHT to think / and say WHATEVER they want in their FREE TIME, if they did something illegal, or disrecpectfull, you can report tweet on twitter or give your lawyer a call

They got fired, i hope they'll sure ArenaNet, America is fucked up
    Look! Someone with a brain! A FREE THINKER! Proof that not everyone subscribes to the PC madness corrupting society.

PC will be the death of free speech, and that, people, will be the death of democracy.
    you are literally crying about actions having consequences.

and F.W.I. democracy = tyranny 

Actions? ACTIONS?
    I refer to my earlier "sticks and stones" comment.
    Words are not actions. It's one thing to say something and something quite different to act upon those words. Had she physically assaulted someone then fair game but she didn't. She posted some comments on twitter. I mean, seriously, she posted some comments on twitter. Big fucking deal.

This is exactly the kind of PC, namby pamby bollocks I'm talking about.

Edit, @MadFrenchie as well. Actions, get real.
    If you don't believe an employee of the company can, through words alone, cause very real negative repercussions for their company that the company would have a vested interest in protecting against, then I have to hope you never work for the company I work for.
    Once again this is just another example showing that PC has gone beyond the pale. It shouldn't even be an issue but because of unchecked political correctness, running amok, we find this atmosphere in which fear of consequences forces people to act (over react) on the slightest perceived offense.

You should not have to fear for your job because something you say may have repercussions on your company, not if you don't speak for them officially. This is the insanity of political correctness.
    Sorry, but this has nothing to do with political correctness. If you worked somewhere that your boss is on the alt right and your customers are heavily alt right and you rather publicly made a statement belittling that customer base because you made a public comment and didn't like what they said you'd be fired. It wasn't about not liking what someone said. It was about attacking that person publicly trying to hurt their image (hey guess what libel is a very real thing and you conservatives are constantly suing for it).

She attempted to use political correctness to get the twitter mob (her fan base) on her side and hurt Deroir's public image by calling him a sexist misogynist (could hurt him employment wise if he works with a woman that takes that seriously) and it back fired. Deroir apologized if he stepped out of line and she took offense to the statement and that she can do her. She then put him on blast for no reason trying to get her circle jerk white knights to come to her protection and was able to do so. This stirred up the reddit crowd.

There is a difference between being politically correct and being civil. You can be civil without being PC and the fact you don't realize there is a difference between civility and political correctness is mind boggling. 
    Leiloni said:
    Leiloni said:
    cronius77 said:
    I agree 100% with Bill. I'm sick to the back teeth with all the PC bullshit we get force fed day in and day out. What happened to free speech? What happened to being entitled to an opinion?

If people are offended by something someone says they can either respond with a counter argument, ignore it, or just toughen the fuck up and stop whining about the mean person who said something nasty.

So tired of all these whining fucktards. And for someone to be fired over something so trivial speaks volumes about how far PC has gone beyond the bounds of sanity.
    you do realize you just described exactly what happened except you took the opposite stance? She's the one that got all butthurt because someone criticized her work. She's the one then that lashed out and attacked some guy and turned it into some sort of sexism argument. She got fired for taking it to an entirely new level by name calling. If she would of kept it civil, heated or not she would probably still have a job. She also made a nasty comment about being glad someone was dead so I'm not sure how you can argue this woman didn't deserve to be fired when she has arenanet plastered on her twitter account talking all her garbage.
      No. IGNORE IT. Who gives a shit? We'll all be dead in a 100 years so who cares? The fact that she was canned is BS, PC bollocks. She's entitled to her opinion and should be accorded the freedom to voice it as she wishes, regardless of whether or not it's "offensive". Keep it civil? Where's the fun in that? Rant on, vent that anger, get it out of your system. So what if she took off on one? Seriously, where's the harm? I don't buy into this verbal assault crap the loony left have invented either. I'm more of a "sticks and stones" kinda guy. It's just words.

The TB comment, I completely disagree with but guess what? She's entitled to her opinion, however horrendous we may find it.

I stand by my initial post. This is just another case of political correctness gone mad. There's a difference between voicing a personal opinion and speaking for a company. Her twitter may have shown she worked at Anet, but her twitter was her own personal account, she was clearly speaking personally.

Anet, or any other company, should not have the right to fire someone for voicing an opinion in their own time when they don't represent the company officially. If Anet were worried about PR, a simple statement that her opinion didn't reflect the company's opinion would solve that.

The whole PC movement has gone too far, and it's been that way for years. People are scared to voice an honest opinion now in case they get in trouble. It's bollocks. What's next? Fucking thought police?

People should be able to say what they think, regardless. If you don't like it, grow a thicker skin, grow some balls and toughen the fuck up.

No, her direct link to the company on her account means her words can have a very real adverse effect on the company itself.  That alone is reason enough for most courts to find a firing such as this warranted.
    A fine example of how far out of whack political correctness has gone. Just proving my point.
    This isn't about political correctness. It's just about one person being very toxic and being subject to the obvious consequences of that. She wasn't even right in what she said.

I'm not excusing her behaviour or saying she was right. I'm saying she has a right to say what she wants in her own free time. However offensive, right or wrong.

No company or employer should have the power to fire somebody who is on their own time, outside of company hours and not acting in an official capacity for that company, for anything they say or do.

Yes she absolutely has that right. That's why she isn't in jail right now and only lost her job. But companies also have a lot of leeway in what reasons they do - or don't - have for firing someone. Your beef is with employment laws in the US, not with free speech laws. This isn't a free speech matter. I agree that it's scary that people can be fired for what they say and do outside of work. But that's a different subject than what you're getting angry over.
    Something people like him forget is that the other part of the amendment free speech is in also lays out the right to association. The company is free to want to associate with Ms Price or not and they chose to sever ties with her by firing her for her actions.
    btdt said:
    We live in a world where merely saying something is enough to get you burned at the stake.  

If this was 10 years ago, none of this would even be news-worthy.  

But the time is ripe to rip everyone a new one and if you don't, you will get ripped a new one for not ripping someone a new one.

That's the really sad commentary here... that people are so easy to join in on things they really know utterly nothing about just because they can and it's cool to do so.
    10 years ago this would of happened. Hell 20 years ago this would of happened. No company would ever stand by an employee attacking their customer base in such a way or being libelous toward them particularly when the person they are trying to attack is a content partner with said company. You have never been free to publicly attack your employers customer base and not have consequences. The only reason you see it more now is because the dumb asses that do this sort of shit now make it very public on social media instead of it being a more localized issue. 

Bad behavior like this has NEVER been tolerated in the work place.