Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Reasons Why Dark Age of Camelot is Still the Best PvP Game Ever - The List - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

image5 Reasons Why Dark Age of Camelot is Still the Best PvP Game Ever - The List - MMORPG.com

Games have evolved, mechanics have been created, and graphics will continue to get better. Game theory remains the same. Dark Age of Camelot was an MMO that sometimes gets overshadowed by Everquest and World of Warcraft. It was made on the East Coast, which for video games is rare. However, it offered a PvP system which has now spread into every aspect of online gaming today. Here are five reasons why this system was the best ever created.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    edited July 2018
    Long live DAoC!
    KyleranScotMadFrenchieultimateduckAlomarBillMurphyJamesGoblinZoeMcCloskeyViper482[Deleted User]and 5 others.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I would add that they also enabled Battlegrounds for lower level folks. It helped give them a taste of what end game PvP would be. Not with a Scoreboard or running with a Flag... but around taking and holding a keep. Sure, the way folks leveled in and out of range meant that they could never replace the Frontiers, but that also was a good thing.

Everything was built around the greater war effort. It wasn't an add on. It was a game around 3 factions engaged in a war, and it showed in every facet.
    MadFrenchieScotultimateduckAlomarJamesGoblinYukmarcViper482[Deleted User]HatefullTsiyaand 1 other.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

And Darkness Falls! A true mix of PvE and PvP that really hasn't been duplicated since. People were driven to engage in the Frontiers in order to unlock the gateway to Darkness Falls...
    MadFrenchieultimateduckJamesGoblin[Deleted User]HatefullTsiyatweedledumb99

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    I agree with the 5 reasons but also found the PVP unrewarding and somewhat pointless on the blue servers

There wasn't enough incentive to not die, and endless keep trading wasn't of interest much to me.

I eventually spent far more time on the FFA red server Mordred, preferring its more guild vs the server approach, as well as unlimited access to the entire game world, races, and classes regardless of faction.

JamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    MMORPG gaming what's it like? You can develop the most amazing graphical look to the world and avatars but you can't match the gameplay of a MMO that released seventeen years ago!
    SteelhelmAlomarultimateduckJamesGoblinThupli[Deleted User]Hatefullitchmonmilluxtweedledumb99
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    I thought the main reason was that DaoC 2 isn't out yet.
  • Savant2k13Savant2k13 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    The good old times in Druim Ligen. *sigh* I hope Mark Jacobs will pull the successor game (Camelot Unchained) out of the box, sometimes and make it only half as good. It was getting a bit silent, lately. Or i've been missing the good news...
    ScotJamesGoblin

The good old times in Druim Ligen. *sigh* I hope Mark Jacobs will pull the successor game (Camelot Unchained) out of the box, sometimes and make it only half as good. It was getting a bit silent, lately. Or i've been missing the good news...

The "successor game" hmm….I guess that's better than a "spiritual successor" or is it worse? :)
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I would add that they also enabled Battlegrounds for lower level folks. It helped give them a taste of what end game PvP would be. Not with a Scoreboard or running with a Flag... but around taking and holding a keep. Sure, the way folks leveled in and out of range meant that they could never replace the Frontiers, but that also was a good thing.

Everything was built around the greater war effort. It wasn't an add on. It was a game around 3 factions engaged in a war, and it showed in every facet.
    This.  The fact that this system hasn't even really been replicated is a travesty.  It introduced the lower level players to the type of PvP they could expect at endgame, albeit on a smaller scale.  I found it much preferable to the queued battlegrounds we see today.
    ScotultimateduckJamesGoblinLimitationsRoinGaendricHatefulltweedledumb99

edited July 2018

This.  The fact that this system hasn't even really been replicated is a travesty.  It introduced the lower level players to the type of PvP they could expect at endgame, albeit on a smaller scale.  I found it much preferable to the queued battlegrounds we see today.

We talked about this on another thread, how long it can take in PvP to level up for PvP, how you don't really get an idea of what the class is like in pvp until too late. Looks like once again, DAOC beat the rest of the MMO world to it!
    Post edited by Scot on
    MadFrenchieJamesGoblinThupli
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I'm not much of a PvPer, but I much preferred Warhammer Online over Dark Age of Camelot.
    ultimateduckJamesGoblinViper482mikeb0817Stjerneoddkappei378

• Cuppett5Cuppett5 Member UncommonPosts: 156
    edited July 2018
     DAOC was a very good game. Asheron's Call had way better PvP. Just sayin...
    ultimateduckMyrdynnViper482[Deleted User]Hatefull
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I remember Thidranki, the Lvl 24 BG, was always well populated. It was most players' first steps into RvR for any character and nearly everyone spent time there earning their first 3 RR points. Even though it was quite small there were some epic battles.

Players would invest in the best gear and enchantments they could find. It was a very competitive BG. Good times.

Really hoping that CU can deliver something even half as good because, sadly, I've never seen anything close to DAoC's RvR.
    AlomarultimateduckJamesGoblinScotKyleran
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• malroth67malroth67 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Yea the low level BG's were great, people would level alt's just to keep them in that bracket! I'm not sure when, might have been New Frontiers, that sliced it up into a bunch of em, and they lost what was once a great BG system, that I haven't seen since!
    JamesGoblin
  • malroth67malroth67 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Also, I'm a little concerned with Camelot Unchained. They are purely focusing on the PvP side of old DAoC, but what gave DAoC it's charm was the fact that you could either do PvE or PvP. I loved sometimes just doing PvE because I didn't really feel like doing PvP, but most times I was out there in the Frontier. I 'hope' it will be good in itself, but we will see.
    ultimateduckJamesGoblinScotKyleranNyghthowlerkappei378
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    DAoC was a wonderful game, and I don't really like PvP.  As great as it was, it did have some growing pains.  Pets were messed up initially.  The swarm pets killed connections, friend and foe.  The Cabalist pet was a huge sign that signified 'kill me first'.  You couldn't hide underwater.  There wasn't a counter to stealth or instant stuns.  AoE animations killed connections and opponents.  Even just the raid starting to move would knock people out of the raid.  And the raid channel was too small.

Possibly the best thing about DAoC was that they actively sought to make changes to correct some of these oversights.  Too many of these 'corrections' were initially in the form of PvP abilities bought with Realm points, earned in successful PvP action.  Eventually, fixes to specific problems drifted down to the class levels.  Mythic was aggressive in improving the game.

I'd love to see a bigger version of DAoC, 5 realms instead of 3.  I'm not sure if we're quite ready to deal with 300 vs 300 vs 300 vs 300 vs 300 fights yet.  Or if a single product could attract a player base of 15,000 people per server to allow for reasonable population around the clock in 5 different factions.

I pretty much had moved on before Darkness Falls and the battlegrounds were introduced.  My gaming focus drifted on to other things, and it was the only game I never really quit because of something I didn't like about the game.

JamesGoblin

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Heatsink00Heatsink00 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    And yet the devs had no understanding of how overpowered stealth was in their game. That was the deal-breaker for me quitting DAOC PVP.
    ultimateduckViper482Hatefull
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    edited July 2018
    I've played 41 mmo's in 19 years, while at least half of that time has been looking for an open world rvr type similar to what Daoc had. I've been utterly disappointed, as no one has done it even remotely as well. The closest I've seen has been ESO's launch - 1.6 which came close and GW2's first couple of months was fun but ultimately had no real progression or purpose. I still to this day think the closest anyone had come to replicating Daoc's success was Warhammer Online, but only if it's launch had been pushed back and the planned 3rd faction had been added. It's a hard knock life for us rvr'ers.
    JamesGoblinScot
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • mussolinimussolini Member UncommonPosts: 200
    edited July 2018
    April fools in july? o.O
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    edited July 2018
    It's amazing that there hasn't been a decent successor. Most of the people here got it right... except this guy:

"And yet the devs had no understanding of how overpowered stealth was in their game. That was the deal-breaker for me quitting DAOC PVP."

I'm guessing he played a caster that thought he should be able to beat, 1 on 1, a character class whose entire purpose was to kill solo players. The patches that gave casters the ability solo kill just about everyone is what killed the game... well, that and age.
    ArcheAge did a decent job at a PvP focused game but killed it with their double dipping and horrific regrade system.
    Viper482JamesGoblin
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    PvP being a choice is shitty reasoning on why it makes a good PvP game....oh yeah fun too....great reason there.....see what else ya got....oh three faction system....super original...

Maybe say best morpg PvP game because this don't hold a candle to true high skill ceiling games like league and fortnite....still it wouldn't even come close to PvP on Ultima free servers and og Ultima...not even a chance....
    Slapshot1188DaRedHawkRoinxxBoneZxxpostlarval[Deleted User]JamesGoblintweedledumb99
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

They had all day testing events on this past sat and fri.

It was accessible if you kickstarted it to a certain level and you followed the newsletters.

Game isnt far away

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• chukekle1chukekle1 Member UncommonPosts: 33

And yet the devs had no understanding of how overpowered stealth was in their game. That was the deal-breaker for me quitting DAOC PVP.

You must have sucked at PvP to have so many problems against stealth classes that you quit a game.
    ultimateduck
  • YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165

I still have PTSD nightmares of battles in Thidranki... that level 15-20 RvR was always hopping.
    MadFrenchieGaendric