Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 Money

lancerxxlancerxx Member UncommonPosts: 63
I have a lvl 30's toon at the moment and all I use in game money money for, is gathering tools and waypoint travel. Is there any reason amass lots of gold? Also my gear is mainly from quest rewards.

Comments

• BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    You can convert gold to gems and buy gemstore stuff, if you arent f2p player. Also theres achievement to have 200 gold in your wallet. Gear isnt that important till max lvl. You can get it easily from Wolrd bosses events.
    lancerxx
  • lancerxxlancerxx Member UncommonPosts: 63
    So is there a minimum amount of gold I should have?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    If you are not even at end game you can't answer that question, who knows what you might want to buy in the store for example?
  • lancerxxlancerxx Member UncommonPosts: 63
    edited July 2018
    Scot said:
    If you are not even at end game you can't answer that question, who knows what you might want to buy in the store for example? Is it possible to avoid the store, for end game?
    Is it possible to avoid the store, for end game?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    lancerxx said:
    Scot said:
    If you are not even at end game you can't answer that question, who knows what you might want to buy in the store for example? Is it possible to avoid the store, for end game?

Yeah you don't need to use the store. You don't need to get a bunch of gold unless you want to. I don't really even worry about gold very much, it comes naturally just from playing the game.

At end game you'll either spend your gold on materials or items to craft legendaries or other skins you want, or you'll exchange it to gems to buy endless tools or visual items like mount skins.  If you don't want to spend gold you don't have to, the biggest advantages aren't really that big in the end anyways.
    Scot

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    While leveling, gold wasn't that important to me.  Lots of drops sold on the auction house and stuff from quests gave me all the gear I needed while leveling.  Gold would mostly be for vanity stuff.  Gathering was nice for extra cash while leveling but haven't done any gathering in ages.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Nyctelios said:
    lancerxx said:
    Scot said:

You don't need it unless you want to get gems to unlock previous Living Story.

At the end game you won't be able to farm for both trade gold for gems and legendaries or ascendant gears despite what anyone tells you - those cost a lot.
    I don't think anyone pays for legendaries outright, unless they have a ton of money to sink into the game, but just about every legendary I have I bought the precursors, which range from 300 - 500 gold, which isn't that much gold really.  Plus if you're spending your laurels wisely, you can easily make plenty of gold or save the materials so all you really need is time, there's no urgency so yeah, you certainly can do both.  

For ascended gear it also depends on how much time you want to spend on crafting. Everything is obtainable, and it doesn't take that long either if you're focused on what you need.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    - Jackal mount will cost 25g, and Griffon mount will cost 250g. Both of those are L80 and PoF exclusive though (although are account-wide unlocks once you get there)

- If you do a lot of group runs, you should have consumables (food mostly). That isn't a lot of cash but it does add up over time.

- Buying the occasional gear upgrade as you level or change out your spec from the Tradepost. A decent set of exotics and upgrades doesn't have to cost a lot (and has a noticable impact on your ability to solo if you work the meta correctly), but depending on how far towards max you go on min-maxing, can start to run at a lot of money quickly. 

I forgot waypoints even cost money - they do, but it's so small it's pretty insignificant.

Crafting is what you pay for in order to do legendaries - both to level up your crafting, and to buy the metric ton of stuff that requires farming to create the components that go into it. If you don't want to craft - that problem gets solved (but you cut off one of the easier routes to legendaries).

Legendaries aren't required by any means - more a status symbol and point of accomplishment/pride. But they are cool. And crafting isn't the only way to attain legendary gear.

For the most part, until you get to those cash sink points - the only thing you really will need it for is  for buying gathering tools and salvage kits/salvage-o-matic.

Do salvage as much as you can - if it doesn't sell for anything on TP, salvage. You get a good deal of Luck, which is account wide, and stacks to a goodly amount, which leads to better drops.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited July 2018
    lancerxx said:
    Scot said:

Yes. 

If you want to play through previous Living Story chapters (which can unlock some nice rewards, and you get to see the lore), that costs gems. I believe current season Living Stories are free though. 

Apart from that, there are some nice utility items locked on there (inventory upgrades, character slots, infinite use tools, etc.), but nothing essential. A lot of skins for the most part.

You can buy gems with gold, which isn't at totally unreasonable rate.

I've spent most of my gem load on inventory upgrades and character slots. I had also taken a long vacation from the game, and just recently came back and did unlock the previous Seasons so I could go back and play though and get current (slowly getting there!).
    edited July 2018
    Nyctelios said:
    Nyctelios said:
    lancerxx said:
    Scot said:

You don't need it unless you want to get gems to unlock previous Living Story.

At the end game you won't be able to farm for both trade gold for gems and legendaries or ascendant gears despite what anyone tells you - those cost a lot.
    I don't think anyone pays for legendaries outright, unless they have a ton of money to sink into the game, but just about every legendary I have I bought the precursors, which range from 300 - 500 gold, which isn't that much gold really.  Plus if you're spending your laurels wisely, you can easily make plenty of gold or save the materials so all you really need is time, there's no urgency so yeah, you certainly can do both.  

For ascended gear it also depends on how much time you want to spend on crafting. Everything is obtainable, and it doesn't take that long either if you're focused on what you need.
    Dude, ascendant gear recipes and mats are not cheap. Everytime someone says it's easy to grind for gold and get everything without spending cash I assume they spend cash just don't want to admit. I play the god dam game for years already, don't try that on me.
    Eh, they're only like.. 3 gold or something per recipe...  that's nothing... and ascended mats aren't expensive if you're crafting them.  If you're buying all your mats, yeah it's going to be expensive, but why would you do that unless you're impatient? Like I said before, if you know what you want specifically, working towards it doesn't take long. They give you more than enough throughout a month or two to get a full set if you really want them.. not to even count the other ways you can obtain ascended gear.

If you're playing fractals you get ascended drops quite often, and yeah I've spent money in the game, but the last thing I bought was PoF and that was when it launched, haven't spent a dime since. Before that I bought some endless tools, and before that some bank space.  How that helps me excel over others, maybe it saves me some cash on picks and axes, but overall it's very minimal.

I still have several ascended gear chests just sitting in my bank... and it barely costs anything to transmute them into the stats you want.  All you have to do is play the modes that have a chance to reward you ascended stuff.  

Not to mention you can get get them from doing pretty much anything.  You can purchase them if you PvP enough, or do WvW, and grandmaster marks are not that tough to craft at all. 

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Asking if you need gold in an MMO. I wonder what the answer to that could be, especially a grindy one like GW2.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    GW2 is actually one of the few games where gold actually stilll has real vallue and is needed at the top level...   i have 8 alts and all need continous ascended or better gear updates... just do the math,... crafting an ascended set of gear takes atleast 36 days and a huge amount of gold..  changing specs often requires a new set of gear... now multiply that by 8 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• deeznuts2deeznuts2 Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Buy gear and weapons... or hoard gold for events, up to you
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Legendaries.
    Personal Guild Hall.
    Griffon and Skyscale.
    Ascended gear (fractals are a good source of income).
    Skins (cash shop or otherwise).
    Consumables.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders