Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are games art?

XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
I just noticed a tweeter discussion regarding the matter. Of course, being tweeter and all, the discussion was hard to follow and one of the members eventually chose to block the rest, because ...

Anyway.

What do you people think?
  • Are games art?
  • Are they merely products?
  • Or they start as products and have the potential to become art, given the test of time?
Also:
  • Are people working on these projects artists?
  • Or they are they just making a very good product?
Gdemami

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Of course they are .. why is that a question?
    NildenPhaserlightTemp0GdemamiYashaX[Deleted User]Hawkaya399
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Perhaps my question could be phrased better. Because right now I think I'm stuck in the trap of defining art, which one can argue that everything is art.

Maybe a more meaningful question would be whether do you consider games as art and if not why?
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    As far as I'm concerned, for something to be considered art, it needs to hold true in the test of time. So for me games are not art, unless they become what I would call classics.

Take steam for example. Do you believe that is filled to the brim with ... art? I don't know, for me the result matters, thus pouring your soul into a product and producing mediocrity is very possible and happens all the time.
    Gdemami
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Xasapis said:
    I just noticed a tweeter discussion regarding the matter. Of course, being tweeter and all, the discussion was hard to follow and one of the members eventually chose to block the rest, because ...

Anyway.

What do you people think?
    • Are games art?
    • Are they merely products?
    • Or they start as products and have the potential to become art, given the test of time?
    Also:
    • Are people working on these projects artists?
    • Or they are they just making a very good product?
    Art is in the eye of the beholder, so if someone wants to say "games are art", they are right. The reverse is also true. As for me, games have art in them, but I don't consider them art.

Isn't all art (and games) "merely products", to be bought and sold? Some folks use art to make money, especially artists :)

Some games have wonderful artists working on them. It shows in the moods and settings that some games have.

I can't recall who said it, but someone said that art is how an artist sees any specific thing, and they recreate what they see. It evokes feelings in its observers. In this way, I guess games could be considered art, as I have had many feelings while playing games from tears of joy, heart tugging, all the way through rage.

All in all, though, I find it hard to call games "art." I also don't think pissing on a flag is art, though many feel it is. Again, art is in the eye of the beholder :)
    Gdemami

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Xasapis said:
    Perhaps my question could be phrased better. Because right now I think I'm stuck in the trap of defining art, which one can argue that everything is art.

Maybe a more meaningful question would be whether do you consider games as art and if not why?
    Either way, the nature of games as art is probably a bit deep for this crowd.

I like a variation of one of your original definitions -- a game is a product, built using artistic elements combined to produce interesting interaction with the express goal of entertaining the customer.  The whole can be viewed as an art form or not.  I don't know that it is an acquired taste over time, or requires time to mature or polish the game into an art form.

If it's an art form or not, I doubt in a hundred years time we'll see universities offering Computer Game Appreciation 101, even as an elective.  

Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Games are not art, they're games, entertainment. They contain art and artwork but they're not art in and of themselves.
    Gdemami
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Mendel said:

If it's an art form or not, I doubt in a hundred years time we'll see universities offering Computer Game Appreciation 101, even as an elective.  
    That would be no worse than some of the Useless Studies (loosely, the union of all departments that have "studies" in the name) courses that universities actually offer today.
    AlBQuirky
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited July 2018
    Xasapis said:
    As far as I'm concerned, for something to be considered art, it needs to hold true in the test of time. So for me games are not art, unless they become what I would call classics.
    That's a bizarre requirement. It would mean nothing is art when it's created because it hasn't held true in the test of time yet. Say when Leonardo da Vinci painted Mona Lisa it wasn't art, it only became art later on after passing the test.

It would also mean that failure to create pieces of art can be determined by coincidences. Say an artist's work would not be art because 5 years after its creation the museum where its displayed burns down, thus preventing it from passing the test of time.
    AlBQuirkyTemp0

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited July 2018
    Games have the same creative processes behind them as a piece of art, one that unlike a movie or a painting, you interact with.

They also provide you with a similar experience as other art does, such as cinema.
    Temp0
    Games are not art, they're games, entertainment. They contain art and artwork but they're not art in and of themselves.
    Same holds true for also things like classical music, literature and plays meant for theatre. Most of our art is made to entertain.
    Temp0YashaX

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Video games can be art, but they are not art just because they are a video game...

...is my interpretation.  I believe that a lot of the "art" we are exposed to is not art at all.  Most of it being a cheap knock off of art as a concept, generated and mass produced by businesses for profit.  Really though, the whole thing is a grey area defined by intangibles that are often unique to an individual, like feelings and perception.  This topic is destined for ad nauseam. 
    AlBQuirky
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Magic the Gathering, the card game: there can be no question that this is "art"; many works of art in fact and people may not realise just how many serious artists are commissioned to produce the works. So it follows that video game equivalents which use the art on the cards is also art.

Noughts and Crosses: not art. Ditto word games and so forth. And whilst a video game adaptaion may have artistic trappings the game part won't be.

In between the two extremes there will be games that are and others that are not.

You can do the same with the "story content" in games. Adaptaions that are based on literary works being at one extreme and games that have no story and simply banal comments (or less!) being at the other extreme.

Now "game mechanics" - which form the other key component of most games - they tend to be judged on whether they are "functional" or not. In the same way that a fridge say is functional or not.

And that is since some game mechanics are superb whilst others are "blah".

Maybe one day - art has, after all, crept into many everyday objects. Manufacturers have realised that kettles, TVs, buildings are so forth can be artistic as well as functional. And we are better for it.
    AlBQuirky
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited July 2018
    It's a huge grey area.  I would argue Minecraft itself, as an entity, is not so much art as it is a blank canvas upon which it invites players to create artistic entities.  Same for, say, Garry's Mod.

Then, you have games like The Last of Us, which has a narrative so well-written it would stand on its own as a work of literature.  It's definitely an artistic piece of gaming entertainment.

I think we could all agree that the original pong wouldn't be well-acknowledged as art.
    AlBQuirkyYashaX

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    AlBQuirkyPhaserlight
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Vrika said:
    Same holds true for also things like classical music, literature and plays meant for theatre. Most of our art is made to entertain.
    Ah, but, music is a pure form in and of itself. It's music. Same thing applies to literature, or opera, or dance or even, yes, a graphic novel. A game however comprises, a written story, maybe voice acting, artwork for environments, artwork for characters, animations, game mechanics, network code, game code, graphics engines, physics engines, a whole slew of different things that become "a game".

I've always been of the opinion that "art" is a pure form. Games are a mishmash. And a lot of the bits that go into games are so not art. Code is not art, it major boring shit. Apart from assets, most of the game is code.

Then again, I look at some "art" today and think my dog could do better. Art my arse.
    AlBQuirky
  • MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128
    It takes a ton of creative activity to make one, so yes they are art.
    Temp0GdemamiSpottyGekko
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited July 2018
    In a world of semantics, where you can define 1 word to mean many things, why would it be difficult to define almost anything as art?

I think the challenge would be define something as not art.

However, since the question also has a certain implication, is it art or more of something else? For me the idea of a game is so ingrained as art, I cant say art or a game as what the implication could be. They are synonymous.

Since a game is art but with function. While other art is may be even a lazier form.

So games are a higher form of art.
    ScotTindale111

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• BladeburaibaBladeburaiba Member UncommonPosts: 132
    As always, art is in the eye of the beholder.  Asking others leads yourself to be lead by the nose on a most subjective subject.  In which case, you'd just be beholding what someone else beheld, instead of beholding it yourself.
    AlBQuirky
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Art is a passive medium you enjoy.  Game is an active event you participate in, unless you are passively watching someone or others play a game.  Any game that is more art than game isn't much of its root word.  Anything else said claimed is hyperbole and semantics.  

I don't play games because I want my movies to have slightly interactive parts between the movie.  I don't play games to have something arty to look at.  I play games because I enjoy the game part of games.  I want the game part to be good, not art.
    ScotAlBQuirky
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Xasapis said:
    To me, art has nothing to do with time or cultural value. I see art as anything that communicates subjective feelings in concrete ways.

There is a get-together of independent photographers in London every two months. I've just been for the first time. A handful of people bring their projects, pin them up on the walls and look for feedback from others. Some of these photos will never be seen by anyone else ever - the photographer might decide to pursue something else. In other words, the project might not stand the test of time, heck, it won't even survive one evening. Yet, I'd call it more of an art than some of the antique pieces that reach a museum.

Game development is incredibly varied. People do it for different reasons. Companies have different workflows and even within one studio, the priorities may change with a change of key people. Some people will say AAA games are less of an art than indie titles - I used to think that way, but don't anymore.

My friend used to work for Rockstar Games and other high profile AAA studios. The way he spoke about games was pure passion, definitely close to speaking to a painter about their work. At the same time, I know people from both AAA and tiny studios, seeing games as a financial transaction.

There are studios I would not see as art. I know of a mobile game studio, where the goal is to push out as many microtransation games as possible. They get a design idea, assign it to two people over a weekend. The whole art then gets outsourced and the game is pushed onto Android as early access. If people bite, more of it gets outsourced and the final game with full monetisation is pushed out. The whole process takes about 1-2 months.
    ScotTemp0
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Some very foolish people think an unmade bed is art, so I would not let what others say influence you too much on something like this. But I will say that anything with beautiful graphics or a wonderful story certainly is art. If the package is made up right it gets an even higher award in my eyes...it is a great game. :)
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I don't want to stir a bees nest here, but I have too often encountered people using "art" as some kind of prestige or status thing, the more outrageous, the more prestigious. I see the same for people calling games "art."

I get the feeling, and could be wrong, that people wanting to call games "art" are attempting to elevate games to a higher status than they are, just to rationalize their own love for games. Loving games is not a bad thing. Enjoying games does not make one a "child." If one disagrees with another's idea of art, it often leads to nose in the air, "You're boorish!" replies. Or "You just don't get it, do you, you poor imbecile."

So I ask... Why do people even want to call games "art?" Are there special Government grants that would now include games if they were called "art?"

PS: I apologize if I stepped on toes, but my experience with "art" seems to be flooded with status seeking rather than actual "art."
    Bladeburaiba

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

edited July 2018
    AlBQuirky said:
    I don't want to stir a bees nest here, but I have too often encountered people using "art" as some kind of prestige or status thing, the more outrageous, the more prestigious. I see the same for people calling games "art."

I get the feeling, and could be wrong, that people wanting to call games "art" are attempting to elevate games to a higher status than they are, just to rationalize their own love for games...
    I think that people who oppose calling games art are more often those who use art as some kind of prestige or status thing. Even here on this discussion we've seen arguments how games aren't art because art is pure not a mishmash, because art is something that has stood the test of time...

Whereas people who accept games as art are ready to do it because they don't have similar requirements that art should be pure and have special value.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Art is subjective. Everything thing is art and not art at the same time.
    AlBQuirky
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Any type of creative expression can be considered art or an art form.  Art is in the eye of the beholder.
    GorweAlBQuirky

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey