Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally hooked up my steam link and... It's a great remote client.

CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
If you ever used a remote client before, it's plagued with latency issues. The main reason I opted to get a steam link was because it was $1. The other reason was that I heard it worked well as a remote streaming client, like if you wanted to setup a gaming machine in the garage so you can adequately cool it without hearing it.
I got to say. It works pretty well as a remote client. It doesn't have the latency issues most of these type of connections have.

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I like mine, I think it's neat. But I only use it for slower games where I can use a gamepad. It's great for PC versions of Final Fantasy, etc.

That being said, if I can get a console version of the same game... playing the console version I think is better than playing the PC version over Steamlink. PC version often has upgraded goodies, but by the time you stream them, you do lose a bit in translation and the graphics quality isn't as consistent as if you were sitting in front of the PC.

It's definitely worth $1 to play with if nothing else. If you really wanted to, you could just use it as a remote terminal - you can get to Windows Desktop pretty easily. Makes for a cheap version of Chromecast/Airplay.
    [Deleted User]
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited July 2018
    Could someone explain this whole steam link to me, If im understanding correctly, You turn on your computer , lets say down stairs, Then i have my steam link on a upstairs bedroom tv. I can now play steam games on my upstairs bedroom TV with the Steam remote but the PC downstairs must stay on ? Is this correct ?

Another question that may not be directly related to this post...

I have modest gaming rig that can push 4k. My gaming monitor is is 1080  but my tv is 4k. About a year ago i ordered a 4k hdmi cable (its 6+ foot in length) off amazon to run from my PC to my TV so i could game on the couch like a ultimate fat ass with too much free time would.  I found the hdmi cable was getting REALLY HOT on the end that connected not only to my PC but to my TV as well. Kind of freaked me out and not risking burning my house down i decided to never use the cable again. Is this normal, do the gold plated housing normally run hot to the touch? I did cheap out and not order the most expensive cable, I believe it came from china.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    thunderC said:
    Could someone explain this whole steam link to me, If im understanding correctly, You turn on your computer , lets say down stairs, Then i have my steam link on a upstairs bedroom tv. I can now play steam games on my upstairs bedroom TV with the Steam remote but the PC downstairs must stay on ? Is this correct ?

I have modest gaming rig that can push 4k. My gaming monitor is is 1080  but my tv is 4k. About a year ago i ordered a 4k hdmi cable (its 6+ foot in length) off amazon to run from my PC to my TV so i could game on the couch like a ultimate fat ass with too much free time would.  I found the hdmi cable was getting REALLY HOT on the end that connected not only to my PC but to my TV as well. Kind of freaked me out and not risking burning my house down i decided to never use the cable again. Is this normal, do the gold plated housing normally run hot to the touch? I did cheap out and not order the most expensive cable, I believe it came from china.
    That gold plating is on the shield surrounding the connections that carry signals.  It isn't even a ground for electricity.  The only purpose gold plating that shield has is to remove more money from your pocket.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited July 2018
    Grunty said:
    thunderC said:

That gold plating is on the shield surrounding the connections that carry signals.  It isn't even a ground for electricity.  The only purpose gold plating that shield has is to remove more money from your pocket.
    Well thanks so much for answering all my questions you were a great help......./sarcasm    All that i shit i typed and that was what you took away from my post
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    thunderC said:
    Grunty said:
    Well thanks so much for answering all my questions you were a great help......./sarcasm    All that i shit i typed and that was what you took away from my post
    Well I could have tried to bullshit you with answers pulled out of my ass.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    I've never seen an HDMI cable get hot - but then again, the new GSync 4K HDR monitors have a fan built into them, so who knows. I'd suspect it's more the TV/GPU is getting warm, and the cable is just conducting some of that heat by virtue of being close to whatever else is actually generating the heat - but if not other specific cable is getting hot, then I guess that would rule that out.

With respect to Steam Link - if you've ever used VNC, Remote Desktop, Playstation Remote Play, or the WiiU Handheld controller - basically the same thing. Game runs on your PC, video is transmitted over the network, and the video is displayed on a different screen. Same thing but opposite direction for the controls/keyboard/mouse/etc.
    JeffSpicoli
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I am running wireless. I have about a 3ms latency on my wireless network. Wasn't using it for gaming, but as a remote client. I don't think it's capable of displaying 4k @60fps.
    [Deleted User]
    Cleffy said:
    I am running wireless. I have about a 3ms latency on my wireless network. Wasn't using it for gaming, but as a remote client. I don't think it's capable of displaying 4k @60fps.
    Mine wont do 4K at all I don't think.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited July 2018
    I would say it's a remote client. What I do from the steam link happens on my computer. It's just displaying a stream of what's happening. So I wouldn't be able to say hook 4 of them up and work independently without some fiddling. But compared to other methods of remoting into a computer, this doesn't have the latency issues.
    [Deleted User]