Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 - Three Things I Want from Fallout 76 - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Umm, didn't they basically confirm:
    - Zero story (no human NPCs at the very least)?
    - PvP by default (though apparently you can opt-out somehow, maybe by server type)?
    - Server size of only 24 to 32 players (so at best it is a very small persistent world).
    No idea about building, but without mods (at least to start) it won't even be close to what is possible in FO4.

Anyone know if they confirmed whether you can host your own server locally? Or will people have to rent them from Bethesda? (If it's rent, this is DOA)

Maybe the OP just fanboied up on this one, but the impression I got was very much 'generic survival game with a Fallout skin'... i.e. not the multiplayer Fallout you are looking for (I'd be happy if I'm wrong though).
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    acidblood said:
    Umm, didn't they basically confirm:
    - Zero story (no human NPCs at the very least)?
    - PvP by default (though apparently you can opt-out somehow, maybe by server type)?
    - Server size of only 24 to 32 players (so at best it is a very small persistent world).
    No idea about building, but without mods (at least to start) it won't even be close to what is possible in FO4.

Anyone know if they confirmed whether you can host your own server locally? Or will people have to rent them from Bethesda? (If it's rent, this is DOA)

Maybe the OP just fanboied up on this one, but the impression I got was very much 'generic survival game with a Fallout skin'... i.e. not the multiplayer Fallout you are looking for (I'd be happy if I'm wrong though).
    From the interviews I've seen, you won't be able to even host a server at release.  Privately hosted server support is slated as a post-launch addition.

• MowzerMowzer Member UncommonPosts: 78
    This article feels like it was written 3 weeks ago?
    I mean, while there are still a lot of details to be released, what info that has been, paints a reasonably clear picture of what this game is.
    This brings me to the opening of the article, and the premise its built on.
    Firstly, it stole the show because most were thinking it is a new Fallout game, but its clearly not, there is no overarching stories, quests and NPC's. The players are the content. There is a base narrative, the reason youre there in that world, but thats as far as it goes, which brings me to the second furphy, and that its very much a Fallout game. Nothing could be further from the truth, it uses the Fallout name, but thats where any comparison stops if you are using any of the games that came before it as a base to make that judgment.
    When I first heard about this game, I thought cool, an online element to a fallout-lite world, and I was thinking maybe a little like conan, with the many options to how you play it, but from that last interview, thats not the case at all, this is a pvp game with a Fallout badge stuck on the box for appeal, and it worked, 10 million hits on Youtube in the first 2 days after the teaser was released.

As for the things you want from the game, I'm right beside you in all those, and if the game was like your wants, I would pre order game now. But as it stands, Im not interested in this at all, but Im very much looking forward to hearing more about Starfield, the new IP he's been hinting about for years.
    infomatz
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    bcbully said:

molepeopo said:

Todd Howard did an interview in it basically saying you won't be able to opt out of pvp. That they want the players to basically be the raiders you seen in others games since there will be no human npcs

No matter what he says, I would wait until launch to see. This is only because I'm sure they know how many people wouldn't buy the game if there was no straight up PVE option, or at least a modified server for players who don't want to get killed 24/7.

I understand why he would say they want it to be that way because of the in game lore, but I just can't see them cutting off a big fragment of the community who would want nothing to do with that.

I’m not sure you get it. Devs don’t care about the tiny population of gamers who don’t want pvp on.

The population is so tiny that they can’t even sustain a new big budget mmo. Quest, raid, rise repeat is dead. Maybe there will be a few devs that make a few single player games for you guys.

MMOs from here through foreseeable will be where the money is, and that’s pvp.

It's just as much about the cost of development as it is straight popularity.  It's exponentially more expensive to hand-craft PvE content than it is to create a battlefield and turn players loose on one another.

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Online and PvP and in the 21st century. I can already smell the stench from the cash shop whores. It's getting damn near impossible to find a good MMORPG that isn't 'PVP First' and void of cash shops. I guess I can't blame these publishers though. The money is so good.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Scot said:
    Is it too much now to ask for story, lore and atmosphere from a Bethesda game?
    It's exactly "two" too much- we get atmosphere here, light on what appears to be lore and story. :D 
    As compensation the game does seem to allow you to nuke any story, lore and even the literal atmosphere it has. :)
    MadFrenchie
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    i am hyped for this game but ill first wait and see before i buy if it is a game where you spawn in and just get killed over and over i am not interested in that,like these map games.
  • advokat666advokat666 Member UncommonPosts: 93

bcbully said:

molepeopo said:

Todd Howard did an interview in it basically saying you won't be able to opt out of pvp. That they want the players to basically be the raiders you seen in others games since there will be no human npcs

No matter what he says, I would wait until launch to see. This is only because I'm sure they know how many people wouldn't buy the game if there was no straight up PVE option, or at least a modified server for players who don't want to get killed 24/7.

I understand why he would say they want it to be that way because of the in game lore, but I just can't see them cutting off a big fragment of the community who would want nothing to do with that.

I’m not sure you get it. Devs don’t care about the tiny population of gamers who don’t want pvp on.

The population is so tiny that they can’t even sustain a new big budget mmo. Quest, raid, rise repeat is dead. Maybe there will be a few devs that make a few single player games for you guys.

MMOs from here through foreseeable will be where the money is, and that’s pvp.

I am not sure you get it. This is not about pvp per se, it is about having the option to pvp. And in regards to population. I don´t know where you get that nonsense from, even WoW is getting rid of their PvP servers in BfA replacing them by Phases of regular servers where you have to optional flag for pvp to see other pvp flagged people.
  • MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    deniter said:
    For centuries these people have lived in vaults in peace and when they finally get out they go for each others throats? There must be some vague story behind all this that explains this self-destructive behaviour? :D
    I would expect the "story" to consist of a cash shop via which spending players can become stronger and therefore "win", at least if the current state of these games is any indication lmao. As long as you allow people to do that you don't need an explanation
  • battlewagonbattlewagon Member UncommonPosts: 17
    The million dollar question will be, will you turn into that guy who decides to farm low level players because you have all high end gear and you have a crap load of 5.56 you will never use again? And you think that griefing low level characters is the perfect use for it? Yes, will you be that guy?