Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Around the Verse - Dude, It's the July 12th Update - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited July 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageAround the Verse - Dude, It's the July 12th Update - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

Yep, it's Friday and that means it's time for the latest edition of the Star Citizen: Around the Verse video series. In this week's self-titled "Dude, It's the July 12th Update", the team takes a look at big improvements to "environmental storytelling" and much more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 586
    Week after week Star Citizen is shaping up nicely.
    Better performance, refined gameplay and 3 months before the next massive patch bringing a Planet-Size city and its moons together with more profession. Alpha at its best... meanwhile the usual handfull of nay-sayers will come in a few minutes to shoot release 2050, scam or whatever match their toxic mood of the day :)
    WalkinGlennBabuinixMazikarErillion
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    Release 2050, obviously a scam, longest game in development record confirmed. But i promise you, if the game is a major hit, I'll just play it for free and enjoy it with you all.
    DarkpigeonBabuinixDiabhualErillionAeander

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

JoeBlober said:

Better performance, refined gameplay and 3 months before the next massive patch bringing a Planet-Size city and its moons together with more profession. Alpha at its best... meanwhile the usual handfull of nay-sayers will come in a few minutes to shoot release 2050, scam or whatever match their toxic mood of the day :)

The planet sized city is estimated to release in December.
    SBFord

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Vrika said:

JoeBlober said:

The planet sized city is estimated to release in December.
    Launch in 2019 then?
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited July 2018
    rensta said:
    Release 2050, obviously a scam,  longest game in development record confirmed.   But i promise you,  if the game is a major hit, I'll just play it for free and enjoy it with you all.
    You know so little of what you talk about it's even cringy lol

"longest game in development record confirmed", Star Citizen dev time actually represents 40% of that record, stood by NDF with 15 years. Games like Beyond Good and Evil 2 have been in dev for 10 years already, 4 years before SC started, so SC still has a huge margin there lol
    rpmcmurphyJoeBloberErilliontomahawk1930
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    MaxBacon said:

"longest game in development record confirmed", Star Citizen dev time actually represents 40% of that record, stood by NDF with 15 years. Games like Beyond Good and Evil 2 have been in dev for 10 years already, 4 years before SC started, so SC still has a huge margin there lol
    We live in the era of instant gratification. People think that MMO development is something that can be done in less than 5 years. Some can, of course, but those are the games that are pilloried for being "unfinished buggy messes"! :D 

I don't follow Star Citizen other than in the news I post, but it looks interesting enough that, once it IS out, I'll take a look. I hope it comes to fruition as promised.
    DarkpigeonScotkikoodutroa8BabuinixNyteWytchMazikarErillionWalkinGlenn

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited July 2018
    SBFord said:
    MaxBacon said:

We live in the era of instant gratification. People think that MMO development is something that can be done in less than 5 years. Some can, of course, but those are the games that are pilloried for being "unfinished buggy messes"! :D 

I don't follow Star Citizen other than in the news I post, but it looks interesting enough that, once it IS out, I'll take a look. I hope it comes to fruition as promised.
    It's like watching Jimmy Fallon muss up Trump's hair.
    SBFord
  • PartieplayinPartieplayin Member UncommonPosts: 93
    5 years of devolupment for a game of this scope is nothing. People are morons if they think otherwise. Mmo's are also awalys changing so there never really done. Biggest difference here is we've been able to follow the game since conceptions instead of 5 years after it all started . I suspect sc2 will release in 2020 or 21 . Anything sooner will Be rushed .
    rpmcmurphyBabuinixJoeBloberErillion
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    SBFord said:
    MaxBacon said:

It's like watching Jimmy Fallon muss up Trump's hair.
    OK, you win today's "MADE MY DAY" medal. I literally spit out water on my keyboard which, while I may be grateful for the giggles, made it unhappy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited July 2018
    I feel like SC is like buying a time share...anyone who knows about time shares shouldn't need me to explain the similarities.
    SBFordsausagemix
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Some people are currently having a problem with PvE vs PvP and how crime stats work. Not to mention game optimization or network culling as some like to call it. Still looking forwards to more updates on SQ42. Maybe beta in 2020 or 2021, they're still working on building the core of the game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited July 2018
    SBFord said:

It is true, people usually don't grasp the reality of MMO dev, especially when you're doing something new (more ambitious on technology, and/or unproven design/mechanics), well to be fair neither do the developers, as seen by the colossal underestimations from devs before the usual years of delays.

From MMO's releasing today using Unreal Engine 3, instead of 4, to others releasing half-broken/baked needing years to get it sorted (Like ESO, or Bless for the opposite example), it kinda gives you a more superficial hint as to why many keep away from developing MMO's, even if one manages it, its success is another gamble.
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    I like how they're working on a arena shooter that's going to turn into an MMO once they apply the magic patch, worked wonders for Eternal Crusades.
    Babuinix
  • JRonnie1976JRonnie1976 Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Dude, where's my game?
    BabuinixAlexander.B
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265

Wait, play then whine. The way around showcases your immaturity.

PS- Nobody is forced to give money in advance for anything, much less a crowdfunded video-game.
    If you feel the need to complain please find the nearest mirror.
    Erillion
  • TeamUpTeamUp Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I have never given the producers a dime (nor any pre game for that matter), but might be grateful for people who did if this turns out to be an epic game I can donate all my time to. I do not want games to fail. I want them to be great.
    TacticalZombehJoeBlober
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728
    edited July 2018
    Oh, sorry, it's not the longest in development? My sources were wrong, i am really sorry, but they still might make it, im rooting for them!

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• JRonnie1976JRonnie1976 Member UncommonPosts: 20

Babuinix said:

Wait, play then whine. The way around showcases your immaturity.

PS- Nobody is forced to give money in advance for anything, much less a crowdfunded video-game.

If you feel the need to complain please find the nearest mirror.

Woooosh!
  • MazikarMazikar Member CommonPosts: 3
    This is going to be a game that changes what people think of when talking about what a good game should be.
    JoeBlober
  • JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 586

Tiller said:

I feel like SC is like buying a time share...anyone who knows about time shares shouldn't need me to explain the similarities.

... Except it is the very opposite. You pay 45$ for a package (no need to buy more) and you benefit of a +200M$ project. Time share was the worst choice to pretend like nay-sayers love to do it is a scam... Worst scam ever with +500 team members, 5 studios and +5years development... :) try harder
    rpmcmurphyErillion
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited July 2018
    All I can say is, if it does turn into a great game, thanks to all the suckers...sorry, loyal fans...who put their money on the line to make the game for people like me.  I made that mistake with SotA and a couple of other games and I won't do it again.  Now game developers can have my money when they fully release a feature-complete game and not a second before.  You know, the way it used to be before the gaming world (especially MMORPG players) lost their minds with the crowdfunding and early access lies.
    Post edited by MightyUnclean on
    MadFrenchieAlexander.B
    Mazikar said:
    This is going to be a game that changes what people think of when talking about what a good game should be.
    Welcome to the boards!
    JoeBlober
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    xNIAx1 said:
    F R A U D
    The most complex fraud in gaming history... 500+ employees, 5 studios across the world, 6 years development, 2+ million Star Citizens, 190 M$ crowdfunding, 10+ of the most famous international actors, the very best mocap expert-actor in the world, dozens of on-site visits by journalists and fans, hundreds of video blogs, dozens of monthly e-paper magazines with thousands of full color pages, hundreds of gameplay and cinematic trailers (and thousands more of those made by fans), regular detailed progress reports, playable Alpha (often free to test) .... yes ..... the signs are clear ... must be 

F R A U D 

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    xNIAx1 said:
    F R A U D
    The most complex fraud in gaming history... 500+ employees, 5 studios across the world, 6 years development, 2+ million Star Citizens, 190 M$ crowdfunding, 10+ of the most famous international actors, the very best mocap expert-actor in the world, dozens of on-site visits by journalists and fans, hundreds of video blogs, dozens of monthly e-paper magazines with thousands of full color pages, hundreds of gameplay and cinematic trailers (and thousands more of those made by fans), regular detailed progress reports, playable Alpha (often free to test) .... yes ..... the signs are clear ... must be 

F R A U D 

Have fun
    I do not think SC is a fraud, but just to point out some frauds have been way bigger than that, it just depends on how much involvement in a fraud you think people have to have to be part of it. :)
    Hatefulltomahawk1930
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    I also do not think the Star Citizen project is a fraud. 

Have fun