Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Killing animals in MMORPGs

1235»

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Perhaps because i have worked in the meat industry i have a different view, but as someone who has picked them up from the abbatoir and also delivered to the butcher shops, when i look at animals all i generally see is meat, as a human being i am a meat eater and i really do not have a problem with that at all. 
    In all the games i've played, animals have generally been the food and/or crafting ingredients, killing them is often as rewarding as it is entertaining, its just part of the game. ;)
    AlBQuirky
  • FrozenyearroundFrozenyearround Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Soon like how hunters are shamed on Twitter, Facebook and other social media, gamers will soon be shamed in game because they killed an animal.   
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I don't mind killing animals that drop armor pieces, cuz they were gonna die when passing them anyway, so I might as well get something out of it...

Gut *Hides squirrel nunchucks* Out!
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

What, me worry?

• ChimborazoChimborazo Member UncommonPosts: 146
    When I'm playing Gw2 and I attack by error a cute neutral animal (making it retaliate on me) I usually run away, trying to lose it so he can go back being neutral. If I'm fighting hostiles and there're some cute animals in the middle, I don't hesitate and they all get taken down. 
    Currently on: Guild Wars 2
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Gutlard said:
    I don't mind killing animals that drop armor pieces, cuz they were gonna die when passing them anyway, so I might as well get something out of it...

Gut *Hides squirrel nunchucks* Out!
    Chosen One! Is that you?!?
    [Deleted User]ScotGutlard

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I am currently cheating on my PoE wife with my divinity original sin mistress. It is actually funny how the game Gives you moral choices and things differ based on what you choose. I tend to not kill animals that are just minding their own business.

But I'll kill insects even if they add to the background given how much I hate insects.

On another note, id be a vegetarian if I had any willpower to chime in on what @sovrath said.

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Some games, WoW I believe or maybe GW2, had an achievement for killing certain types of animals. 
    [Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited July 2018
    You peeps didn't know that our rigs were doorways into other dimensions, and any killing we do online equates to real killing somewhere else? What newbs.....

Good thing most animals in other dimensions are such a-holes that they attack onsite unlike our animals that scatter at the slightest fart in the breeze!

Gut Out!
    Scot[Deleted User]

What, me worry?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Gutlard said:
    You peeps didn't know that our rigs were doorways into other dimensions, and any killing we do online equates to real killing somewhere else? What newbs.....

Good thing most animals in other dimensions are such a-holes that they attack onsite unlike our animals that scatter at the slightest fart in the breeze!

Gut Out!
    Every time you think about getting anything else other than a PC rig or a PC game, just remember guys, a computer pixie dies. :(
    [Deleted User]GutlardPhry
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited July 2018
     Complete hypocritical horseshit, the entire thought , do any of the pixel sympathizers have any idea how many Animals need to die to gather and process the resources for there PC to be built ,the desk and chair they sit at, there house they live in .. 100s if you need to wonder in the Gathering/Processing/Transportation , and yet ... you still dont have any problem with that , yet you concern your soul with Pixel Critters ....

lmfao ..aint that rich
    Vermillion_Raventhal
    Pixelthizers?

Gut Out!
    AlBQuirky

What, me worry?

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I hear if you thin out the pixilated animals, it keeps them from overpopulating and starving. 
    [Deleted User]VestigeGamer

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    The main reason why you kill animals in an MMO is because animals are copyright-free art assets that are easy to make, and easily recognizable. 

The far secondary concern is that it makes for a fake ecosystem.  If you didn't see any animals, then what do the monsters eat?  It would "feel" of even if you didn't think of it consciously.
    Cryomatrix[Deleted User]
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Its not right to kill anything but lets face it... its just a game. Its not like you MUST smoke pot whenever you listen to Bob Marley or spray paint a wall when you hear rap music... I was vegan for 7 years and doubt you have done that. I will skull-fuck babies when it comes to video games but when IT FORCES ME TO KILL ANIMALS its lame... try a sandbox game perhaps instead of a linear game?

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Its not right to kill anything but lets face it... its just a game. Its not like you MUST smoke pot whenever you listen to Bob Marley or spray paint a wall when you hear rap music... I was vegan for 7 years and doubt you have done that. I will skull-fuck babies when it comes to video games but when IT FORCES ME TO KILL ANIMALS its lame... try a sandbox game perhaps instead of a linear game?
    My sister is vegetarian because she can't stand killing animals to eat, but she doesn't mind slaughtering pixel boars, cows, etc...
    People with half a brain have no problems making the difference between real life and a game. And in games, they are also able to make the difference between NPCs (bytes and bits) and other players (human beings).
    I will mow down any NPC or player in the right environment.  I have no moral issue except for cheating and cheesing.