Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying SC VPN

HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
edited July 2018 in Star Citizen
why is there tax on SC ?

It cost 56 $ for me incl 25 % vat..so what if i use a vpn and change my ip to another land ?
Can i then trick the vat and dont pay it and still play the game in my EU denmark region or do i need to use this VPN everytime to play the game ?

Comments

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited July 2018
    The short answer is you can't avoid paying VAT.

There is tax on every single game you purchase. Publishers usually charge a flat price in a single region and pay VAT from that to the buyer's country. Your invoices should always include the amount of VAT you pay. The amount of VAT depends on the country you live in but as I said publishers usually charge a flat price and they don't add extra to the price displayed in the shop. Let's say your country has a 25% VAT and mine has 27%. Then we both pay the same amount for the same game on Steam, Origin, Blizzard Store, ArenaNet's shop, etc. but the publisher has to pay different amounts of taxes from our purchases. You just don't really recognize it since the price already includes your VAT.

CIG's been doing it differently so they charge your country's VAT on top of your pledged amounts.
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    Its just funny  i dont pay vat on other games from al key shops

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    You shouldn't be trying to avoid paying VAT, it pays for all those swell services you receive as a citizen of the country.
    HyperpsycrowLeFantomealkarionlog

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    You shouldn't be trying to avoid paying VAT, it pays for all those swell services you receive as a citizen of the country.
    Do you mean in star citizen :p
    Scot

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Fairly certain there's vat on every single game you purchase, even if it isn't listed in the price when you buy it as it is usually required by law.

Same thing whenever you buy anything at the grocery store or any other shop in Denmark you have to pay 25% of gross price of that item.
    Hyperpsycrow
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    It's complex, VAT usually isn't listed over the price, like when you buy a game from Steam the store already adapts the pricing when necessary. They here just do that in separate so you see its addiction.

Aside of that, it is possible to play the 45$ instead of 55$ with a proxy yes, but it might give you trouble later if you fake your payment details to not be EU-based.
    Hyperpsycrow
    Btw how much "game" do i get in 3.2..i have been reading and watching media on this game but still unsure what content i get..i see there is mining and stuff..but are there more than 5-10 quest and 1 planet or 1 star to visit and mine ect ? 

• BalmongBalmong Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Btw how much "game" do i get in 3.2..i have been reading and watching media on this game but still unsure what content i get..i see there is mining and stuff..but are there more than 5-10 quest and 1 planet or 1 star to visit and mine ect ? 
    Here's a list from 3.1.1:

Arena Commander

• FPS - smooth 60fps with minimum hardware requirements possible
    • Bugs - some minor bugs, stable servers most of the time
    • Gametime - approx. 3h to learn the basics, a lot more to master your ship
    • Multiplayer
      • Vanduul swarm/ Pirate swarm (fight waves of enemy ships, 1-4 players) 2 maps
      • Battle royal (fight 15 other player ships) 2 maps
      • Free flight (no rules, up to 16 players) 2 maps
      • Classic race (race against 3 other players) 1 map, 3 different courses
      • Squadron battle (Team deathmatch 8 vs. 8) 2 maps
    • Singleplayer
      • Free Flight (explore the maps alone) 2 maps
      • Pirate-/ Vanduul swarm (fight waves of enemy ships with 3 NPCs) 2 maps
      • Classic Race (race alone against the clock) 1 map, 3 different courses
    • Private custom match (play with friends only)
      • Battle royal (fight up to 15 other player ships) 2 maps
      • Free Flight (no rules, up to 16 players) 2 maps
      • Pirate-/ Vanduul Swarm (fight waves of enemy ships with friends and NPCs) 2 maps
      • Squadron Battle (Team deathmatch up to 8 vs. 8) 2 maps
      • Classic Race (race against 3 other players) 1 map, 3 different courses
    • Earn REC-credits by playing multiplayer games, to rent ships and equipment for Arena Commander
    • Flight mechanics and ship handling are more on the simulation side, learning to fly your ship takes some hours of practise
    • For all modes you can select different ships and change their loadout

Star Marine

• FPS - 60fps, frame drops from time to time, with minimum hardware requirements possible
    • Bugs - some minor bugs, stable servers most of the time
    • Gametime - approx. 1h
    • Multiplayer (2 different maps)
      • Last stand (domination mode with up to 12 vs. 12)
      • Elimination (free for all with up to 24 players)
    • Private (2 different maps)
      • Last stand (domination mode with up to 12 vs. 12)
      • Elimination (free for all with up to 24 players)
    • You can change personal loadout in all modes

Hangar

• FPS - smooth 60fps, with minimum hardware requirements possible
    • Bugs - some minor bugs
    • Gametime - approx. 20mins, depends on how many ships you have
    • Walk around your hangar
    • Look at and access your ship
    • Decorate your hangar with flair items
    • Only singleplayer
    • It is currently not possible to start your ship from the hangar

Universe

• FPS - 15-25fps, frame-drops, for most players because of netcode and server restrictions
    • Bugs - lots of bugs, crashes often
    • Gametime - approx. 3h for the major missions, a lot more if you want to see everything
    • Planets
      • Crusader (gas giant, not landable)
    • Moons
      • Yela (fully explorable)
        • Outposts to explore and trade with
        • asteroid belt
      • Cellin (fully explorable)
      • Daymar (fully explorable)
      • Delamar (fully explorable)
        • Levski station
    • Space stations
      • Port Olisar (fully explorable)
        • Shops: merchants, weapons, clothes, components
        • Spawn ships
      • Grim-Hex (fully explorable)
        • Shops: merchants, weapons, clothes, components
        • Spawn ships
      • Kareah (partially explorable)
        • Hack computer to lose crime-stat
      • Covalex (partially explorable)
        • Short story driven mission
      • Cry-Astro
        • Repair and refill your ship
      • Comm arrays
        • Hack or repair missions
    • Missions
      • Simple delivery
      • Search and investigate
      • Simple reputation system to gain access to different missions
      • Beacons
      • Make contracts with other players (combat assistance, personal transport)
    • Equipment
      • Change personal weapon loadout
      • Change personal flight suit and armor
    • Misc
      • 50 players per server 
    Here's a list of 3.2 additions https://starcitizen.tools/Star_Citizen_Alpha_3.2.0
    BabuinixHyperpsycrow
    Great !  Hmm i heard mining is only avail with a expensove ship over 100 $ ?!

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    You can test all ship's in the Public Test Universe.

But still..do i need to pay real money for a miner ship only to be able to use that game feature ?

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    But still..do i need to pay real money for a miner ship only to be able to use that game feature ?
    No, you can wait until the game is officially release or CIG adds the option to earn ship's with ingame credits. 
    Hyperpsycrow
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited July 2018
    No, it's a convenience feature. You will be able to to either earn the ship in-game, or buy it from store.

Also the ship will have to be insured or you lose it permanently when it's destroyed. You can either buy a package that comes with permanent insurance with real money, or earn temporary insurance through in-game activities.

Also if the ship is destroyed there's a waiting time until you get a new one even if it is insured. You can either wait, or earn money to pay for faster replacement through in-game activities, or non-surprisingly use real money to pay and skip the wait.

Everything can be earned in game, but how realistic earning those things in game will or won't be remains to be seen.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Vrika said:
    No, it's a convenience feature. You will be able to to either earn the ship in-game, or buy it from store.

Also the ship will have to be insured or you lose it permanently when it's destroyed. You can either buy a package that comes with permanent insurance with real money, or earn temporary insurance through in-game activities.

Also if the ship is destroyed there's a waiting time until you get a new one even if it is insured. You can either wait, or earn money to pay for faster replacement through in-game activities, or non-surprisingly use real money to pay and skip the wait.

Everything can be earned in game, but how realistic earning those things in game will or won't be remains to be seen.
    You can't earn it in game yet, which is what I think he was wondering. They keep talking about being able to rent ships at some point, but don't get your hopes up for soon. Even when people say the next 3-6 months, no one really knows. And besides that, the mining ship may not be one of the ships available for rent.
    Hyperpsycrow
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Or you ask someone with a mining ship if you can be on the crew. Which is almost always gladly accepted. And you can try mining. As easy as that. 

Have fun
    Hyperpsycrow
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Lmao they all got baited so hard, good job OP : )
    BabuinixScotHyperpsycrow
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Kyleran said:
    Do you mean in star citizen :p
    Once you get to the stars in your mining homestead spaceship, you can go without paying taxes until then while resident on Earth you have to pay them sorry. :)
    Hyperpsycrow
  • BalmongBalmong Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Vrika said:

Never heard of being able to skip the insurance timer by paying, but I'm not as up to date as I used to be. One thing I do know is that insurance that's part of the packages is for base hulls, you will have to separately insure cargo and any after market parts that you want replaced.
    Erillion
    Vrika said:

WOW! hold the phone here..ur saying i loos emy ship perma when it crashes...can i buy ensurance for ingame credits that i earn ? but temp only ?

Lmao they all got baited so hard, good job OP : )
    What do you mean baited ?

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Babuinix said:
    You can test all ship's in the Public Test Universe.

I thought PTU goes down after what they were testing is released.  Is it still up?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Still in early testing with lots of stuff going through changes.  I'd wait for beta or a free fly weekend.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Vrika said:

WOW! hold the phone here..ur saying i loos emy ship perma when it crashes...can i buy ensurance for ingame credits that i earn ? but temp only ?
    I think the idea is that you will never fly a ship unless you've bought an insurance, and never lose it.

The insurance fee isn't likely to be large. But it's a fee that you have to pay and keep constantly paying, whereas people who purchase one of their concept ships with real money won't have to.

Vrika said:
    Vrika said:

I think the idea is that you will never fly a ship unless you've bought an insurance, and never lose it.

The insurance fee isn't likely to be large. But it's a fee that you have to pay and keep constantly paying, whereas people who purchase one of their concept ships with real money won't have to.
    Sounds like SC is grinding my wallet here allready

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Sounds like SC is grinding my wallet here allready
    Ship insurance is like gear repair costs in one MMO, it is one of those "gold sinks" meant to give consequence to losing the ship, instead of being a more casual die > respawn with people not bothering over losing their ship.

Every ship on SC comes with insurance already there for a time, @Vrika got that wrong, only a few of the ships around have the "lifetime" that is the insurance will always be covered for that ship, BUT everyone will face the same fees when making claims.