Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fractured Early Introductory Video

jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
Just like anything in life you don't know what you don't know.

Don't know about Fractured?  Here's a little bit about it just to show off a touch of the game.  It might be enough to get you to want to know more.   

JamesGoblinMadFrenchie

Comments

• benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    edited July 2018
    @jahlon Why do you say crowdfunding is not a way mmorpgs should be funded? You got burned by wich games then? My biggest burns in mmorpgs where from games that where not crowdfunded:

1. Archeage - sieges not happening after seeing years of cbt beta gameplay of mostly sieges

2. Black Dessert Online - stating game is not p2w, then change cashshop few months after release

3. Bless Online - Again monetization changes and not add features in final release.

If it wasn't for crowdfunding then 9/10 newly announced mmorpgs would still be themapark WoW clones for another decade or two...

Edit: btw, the retail price will be around $30 for a b2p game (and $20 if you get an early bird package on Kickstarter)  
    Post edited by benseine on
    pantaroJamesGoblin
  • RofusEURofusEU Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Crowdfunding is pretty much the only source of MMORPGs at the moment since there are no big game companies taking the risk and making any. Lately we have had just western rereleases of asian games and everyone knows how those turn out to be... I still have hope in crowdfunding :smile:

Anyways, it's a pretty nice video :+1:
    benseineJamesGoblin
    RofusEU said:
     Lately we have had just western rereleases of asian games and everyone knows how those turn out to be... I still have hope in crowdfunding :smile:
    Played my fair share of asian mmorpgs. In my opinion they are all polished turds. Seeing a different approach in games like Saga of Lucimia and Fractured is a welcome change for me.
    RofusEUJamesGoblinMadFrenchie
    @jahlon btw, forgot to mention. EQN was a game that you where hyped about, according to your video. That game wasn't crowdfunded either, but started under Sony devellopment, and you could buy acces to it's testing game called EQN Landmark. Then Sony sold their studio to a corporate invenstment bank and that studio got the new name Daybreak Studio's. And under the new management EQN tot cancelled... Now have you seem crap like that with  crowdfunded games?
    ladyrowan2
    benseine said:
    RofusEU said:
     Lately we have had just western rereleases of asian games and everyone knows how those turn out to be... I still have hope in crowdfunding :smile:
    Played my fair share of asian mmorpgs. In my opinion they are all polished turds. Seeing a different approach in games like Saga of Lucimia and Fractured is a welcome change for me.
    Yup, they can be fun for a while but get boring fast with all the grind. We need something new and interesting
    @RofusEU yeah grind + rng + dailies just pisses me off after a while, no matter how beautifull it looks or how fun the combat is. The isnane powergaps in those games are a real turnoff for me aswell.
    RofusEU
  • Indigo3x3Indigo3x3 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I will definitely be playing this game, after reading all the info about it, most likely going to pledge on kick-starter as well. 
  • jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
    The reason why I think that MMORPG should not be crowdfunded is because the amount of money asked for is never enough to get the company through to launch.  Instead, it is an amount of money that is requested to get them through to a certain stage of development.

For example, when it came to Chronicles of Elyria, the amount they asked for was $900,000 but nowhere on their kickstarter was it clearly documented they were going to need more money.  Instead, what they said was here:  

Yeah the Landmark thing was a sham as well, so I hear you there.  I don't think that SOE would have recovered if they had still be the owners of EQNext and Landmark when they went belly up.

I think there is a certain inherent risk when trying to do a game.  Risk vs reward, and too many kickstarters seem to offer too much reward (bonuses) for taking the risk, instead of the companies putting out the game taking the risk.

I think the Fun Pimps behind 7 Days to Die have a good method of what they are doing.  They've made a ton of money on a game that's playable in Early Release which is continually getting developed.

COE.PNG 33.2K
    JamesGoblin
    @jahlon well I think that is still a better way to go for mmorpgs to show investors a new concept (and not another WoW clone) has the interests of many players. It brings innovation.

Yeah I would prefer the way 7 days to die does it. I can only wish the standard for mmorpg devellopment starts with a playable arena mode. Now that I think of it, that is how Star Citizen did it... almost. Their arena mode came pretty fast... and got many excited... was the MMO part that is taking forever.
    See I disagree with you there.

Look at CoE.  They did their kickstarter and basically slammed developers by saying nobody would take the risks they were, and then they wonder why a short time later they can't find a major backer.   

IF a game had a good enough concept, then it should be able to draw private backers to get it to a certain development point.

Star Citizen is a good example as well.  $150,000,000 raised and still no final game? 

@jahlon I knew before crowdfunding was a thing that the development of a WoW clone mmorpg was about 8 years from start to final game. I'm not surprised a whole new type of mmorpg, like Star Citizen, has some troubles down the road and takes that long. I have faith in my unreleased KS backed mmorpgs.

And why is it that Crowfall and Camelot Unchained did got multi million investments? Maybe CoE did do something wrong, but let's see how it plays out. Since mmorpgs usually take 8 years or longer it is a bit too soon to call of crowdfunding for mmorpgs. But I agree it's not a save bet to play a finished game anytime soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Indigo3x3Indigo3x3 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    @blueturtle13 You never know, hopefully they can get last minute exposure. 
    I don't think Fractured will hit it this time.   

But if they dust off and reengagee they'll get it next time.   
    They will hit their goal ;)
  • ladyrowan2ladyrowan2 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    benseine said:
    @jahlon btw, forgot to mention. EQN was a game that you where hyped about, according to your video. That game wasn't crowdfunded either, but started under Sony devellopment, and you could buy acces to it's testing game called EQN Landmark. Then Sony sold their studio to a corporate invenstment bank and that studio got the new name Daybreak Studio's. And under the new management EQN tot cancelled... Now have you seem crap like that with  crowdfunded games?
    I remember that one. I almost bought into the EQN Landmark. I was very glad I decided to wait once it was cancelled. 
  • ladyrowan2ladyrowan2 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    They are about 72% there. They have a couple of spotlights that are due that people have been asking for on the Crafting and Town management. I'm looking forward to seeing their take on crafting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    jahlon said:
    See I disagree with you there.

Look at CoE.  They did their kickstarter and basically slammed developers by saying nobody would take the risks they were, and then they wonder why a short time later they can't find a major backer.   

IF a game had a good enough concept, then it should be able to draw private backers to get it to a certain development point.

Star Citizen is a good example as well.  $150,000,000 raised and still no final game? 

Anyone with a functioning brain could have told you that before backing the game.  I'm amazed there were enough idiots to fund it at all, considering how pie-in-the-sky their ambitions were.
    @jahlon checked the blog about crowdfunding? Pretty much what I said
    RofusEU
  • BaumhauerBaumhauer Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I hope they will hit their goal.
    Baumhauer said:
    I hope they will hit their goal.
    So do I and hopefully they reach all of the stretch goals they just revealed. If not during KS then during the crowdfunding on their website once that opens :smile:
  • ChimborazoChimborazo Member UncommonPosts: 146
    They're a bunch of italian guys that live and work really close to me, I wish them all the luck in the world. Don't know if I'm gonna pledge, I've never given money for a kickstarter and I'm not totally sold on the game concept. I could pledge money just to help out, but there's a thousand living creatures that are in greater need of my money
    Currently on: Guild Wars 2