Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Previews Communities, a New Feature Coming in Battle for Azeroth - World of Warcraft - MMOR

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageBlizzard Previews Communities, a New Feature Coming in Battle for Azeroth - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

World of Warcraft News - The World of Warcraft site has been updated with a preview of a new featuring coming with the Battle for Azeroth expansion in August. Communities allow players to "create, manage, and join multiple groups of friends and family". These groups can be themed around anything such as pet collection, class communities, role playing, PvP or anything else that comes to mind. Communities can also be created "cross game".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    This is really dope and they should've added it long ago. Still I guess better later than never right? :)
    [Deleted User]SBFordViper482Valentinaceltwulf[Deleted User]rojoArcueid
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I agree with both of you. I mean, if you're one of those who love to track down the mysterious pets and mounts -- "HEY! We've got a group for that!" I think it's awesome. :)
    GhavriggViper482celtwulfXingbairong[Deleted User]rojoArcueid

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I really hope people start using these if they get implemented. So many really cool social features of things go unused and eventually fall apart. I would love to see what this amounts to, it sounds really great.
    SBFordOctagon7711DiscipledOneceltwulfrojoArcueid
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    If this were near April the first I would call it out for a wind up. WoW finally decides it needs to think about the communities in its game, a little late perhaps? :)

But the idea seems solid, interesting to see how it pans out.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I think this is an excellent feature and every game should implement it. Unfortunately, it comes too late for me since WoW has vexed me way too many times for me to return (again). 
    [Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    It sounds like a guild system by another name. Generally, if I join a guild, it's because they're interested in participating in the same activities I am.
    deniterKajidourdenPanserbjorne39

• valkerusvalkerus Member UncommonPosts: 62
    maybe they are trying to own the word Because when I think of WoW, the last positive thing I would think about is community. Some of the worst online experiences of my life have been on that game well above others.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    The Blizzard hype train always gets me around this time, Despite all my bitching about the current state of wow im really looking forward to release
    SBFord
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    It sounds like a guild system by another name. Generally, if I join a guild, it's because they're interested in participating in the same activities I am.

Indeed.  If they wanted to have multiple guilds then just do that.....lol.
    MadFrenchie
  • Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    A group of people with similar interests, together in a game. This is a real great idea.
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    It's a direct copy of Linkshells in FFXIV. I've already seen it in action and what it does is kind of take away from guilds. People who are of higher skill level in a guild and perhaps not progressing with their guild the way they would want to will start to gravitate towards their communities aka linkshells that are dedicated to finding other raiders or PvPers. It removes the importance of guilds in general.
    KalebGraysonGobstopper3D
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Sounds great....but none of it will matter if they don't get their shit together pvp-wise.
    KalebGrayson
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • celtwulfceltwulf Member UncommonPosts: 61
    SBFord said:
    I agree with both of you. I mean, if you're one of those who love to track down the mysterious pets and mounts -- "HEY! We've got a group for that!" I think it's awesome. :)
    It sounds like a great idea. The idea reminds me of the communities in Diablo 3 where I found a lot of help, especially the monk community. Also there are people who are always willing to help people catch up to the new season. I think a great idea for a community in WoW would be old raids for achievements & transmog gear.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited July 2018
    I'd prefer it if there was an option for open communities as well, that you can just join instantly from a list. The creator of it would need the ability to remove people of course. I think the system would get a lot more use then. Instead, there's going to be people spamming chat about their communities with the link.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • celtwulfceltwulf Member UncommonPosts: 61
    edited July 2018
    Why look there's over twelve groups alone full of people that say they've shagged my mum!

Actually this sounds like a pretty neat idea.
    LoL yeah it's true there will be some toxicity involved, but I really have had some great help in the Diablo 3 communities. The monk community seems to be a very close knit group & the seasonal powerlevel people help & ask for nothing in return. Well all the ones I've encountered didn't. I'm sure there are some who do. I haven't played D3 in a while also so I can't speak for how it currently is.

Edit: Thinking about it Blizzard has had a problem with the looking for group tool with people trying to sell gold. Doesn't mean I think they should scrap it, but they will have to watch it very closely.
  • PriddypwnyPriddypwny Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Wildstar also has a feature like this they've had since they launched the game
  • genova2809genova2809 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    dudes .. your are Hype by DISCORDINWOW ...
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

dudes .. your are Hype by DISCORDINWOW ...

I personally am hype by a option in the game that is useful. For example I have some glories that I haven't done and I'm just too lazy to search for people to do it with, now however I'm sure that I'll be able to find a community that focuses on old achievements and once I join that community all I'll have to do is read the chat and wait for someone to create the group(cause as I said I'm lazy).

As for you... you can continue to use discord. No one is forcing you to be hyped or use the communities, though if you use discord to search for people to do stuff with I'm 100% confident that you will use this option 10 times more than I will.
  • SinmarSinmar Member UncommonPosts: 7

Why look there's over twelve groups alone full of people that say they've shagged my mum!

Actually this sounds like a pretty neat idea.

I would suggest reformulate this post unless you really are interested in... ehm... your mum....
    [Deleted User]Gobstopper3D
  • marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334
    just copy/paste "Linkshell" system from FFXI/FFXIV.... and it took them only +- decade? Good job Blizz :P
    Rukushin
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited July 2018
    Sounds like a dream come true for the easily offended crowd.

Now they can create their special snowflake safe spaces and hide from anything that doesn't fit into their worldview while in-game.

And we wonder why we have a diversity problem and can't communicate like adults.

EDIT: Oh, and let's not forget the ERPers. How long do you think it will be before the first BDSM community crops up?

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Now they can create their special snowflake safe spaces and hide from anything that doesn't fit into their worldview while in-game.

And we wonder why we have a diversity problem and can't communicate like adults.

EDIT: Oh, and let's not forget the ERPers. How long do you think it will be before the first BDSM community crops up?

Was that post meant to be ironic? XD
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Was that post meant to be ironic? XD
    I think you need to understand the concept of irony.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    I really have to scratch my head at the people saying this is copy/paste Linkshell from FFXI.

Linkshell in FFXI was equivalent to a guild. The only difference being it was more akin to GW2's guild system where you could be in multiple at once and you just represent which guild you decide at any given time and then you can see that chat/talk to them. That's what Linkshells were. Guilds.

What Blizzard is doing is similar, but even more expansive in that it literally is allowing people to make a community based around whatever their focus is and it'll work cross-game. Linkshells in FFXI stayed within FFXI. You couldn't be in a linkshell in FFXIV that you were in in FFXI.
    MadFrenchie

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    overall a positive thing I think