Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I like the houseing in ESO but.... $150 for a house?

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
edited July 2018 in Elder Scrolls Online
I thought it would be so cool to have a house in Artaeum, and they added one, too bad it's a manor which most likely be expensive. They also really need to raise the cap on the Manors when you are paying that much. They keep getting bigger and more expensive yet the furnishing cap is crap. You couldn't fill this one with 70,000 pieces; and is it just me or do these manor style homes seem more like guild halls, then actual homes?

I'm expecting this one will of course be limited, and cost 15000 crowns unfurnished.

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Gdemami

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Torval said:
    For the prices they're charging for premium housing they should be entire mini games in themselves. I mean people on this forum bitch when they have to spend $30 - $80 on a game, but that's what houses in this game cost and they don't do a damn thing. Plus they're limited and one of the grindiest systems in the game (which gets a big pass on grind - go figure). It was probably the grindiest until Jewelry Crafting came along.
    Yeah and some houses like the one above you can't buy with gold, it will most likely cost $150 in crowns.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    That is not a house , that is a hotel, well not enough rooms for a real hotel but that is not a comfortable place. It's far too big.

You know while the outside was lovely the sad thing is you cannot look out the windows. The thing I loved about both Black Desert Online and Everquest 2 housing was that when you look out a window the representation outside approximated what you might expect to see.

I mean sure it would be great to decorate this place but this is not what I would call a home. It's too vast and would require a lot of money to decorate which I suppose was the intention all along.

Sorry but the housing in Everquest 2 is still one of the very best even after all these years as far as decorating and homeliness is concerned.
    YashaXMoirae[Deleted User][Deleted User]cheyane

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It is nice architecture but not really that great as a home.
    The only problem i have is no real doors,being instanced doesn't look right.The windows are the same,you don't have a real window view,just fake windows.
    Yes i believe housing should be earned and not bought through some cash shop.Everything from harvesting the resources to perhaps hiring npc's to do the work but that also needs to be seen and not some make believe idea that just happens like in BDO.

Housing is one area that needs to come a long way in gaming,then again crafting could be improved as well,we are still a long ways out from a true AAA mmorpg.
    Moirae

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited July 2018
    Fact is some gamers are willing and able to throw money at their game of choice, devs would be crazy not to provide them a means to do so.

$150 is pretty small change by some standards, and it is clearly an optional item with no impact on anyones elses gameplay. 

Micro_Cuts

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    kitarad said:
    That is not a house , that is a hotel, well not enough rooms for a real hotel but that is not a comfortable place. It's far too big.

You know while the outside was lovely the sad thing is you cannot look out the windows. The thing I loved about both Black Desert Online and Everquest 2 housing was that when you look out a window the representation outside approximated what you might expect to see.

I mean sure it would be great to decorate this place but this is not what I would call a home. It's too vast and would require a lot of money to decorate which I suppose was the intention all along.

Sorry but the housing in Everquest 2 is still one of the very best even after all these years as far as decorating and homeliness is concerned.
    If you think those are good houses, then you would have loved the housing in SWG, it was probably one of many really good features that SWG had. :/
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]wanderica
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Sorry but Tiller is the poster who did the What the Hell Am I Missing Here thread? If you don't like ESO and you listed about eight reasons last time why are you supposedly now considering $150 on a house?
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    1. Housing is optional
    2. There are dozens of homes that don’t cost near $150

If someone wants to pay for it, then it’s their business. Big ticket cosmetics are what fund this game (along with ESO+), which allows for the pace of new content they pour into the game.

What’s $150? Three dinners at a moderately priced restaurant. Oh the horror!

Keep it coming ESO. I want a Redgard-themed notable home and I’m willing to pay for it.

Gaeluian

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    kitarad said:

Yeah I bought a mid sized house and even that was too big. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    kitarad said:

Funny enough "that" runs more to my taste as a "house." B)

I once had  a "discussion" with a friend when I told her that if I had my druthers I'd prefer a house as large as the museum of fine arts in boston.

She was astonished and appropriatley asked "what the hell would you do with it all!"

I don't believe in past lives but given a variety of preferences I suspect if such a thing existed I was a prince or King in a past live.

And apparently a pretty crappy one given how far I fell from that lofty perch  :|

I'm told Karma is a bitch after all ....

I like that a lot but wouldn't pay $150 for it.  $25 tops.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    The housing I felt most comfortable in was the laircrafting in Istaria.  You had to work in a 3-d grid and patch sections together and then your lair was alive.  It was a lot of work, but a well-done lair was a marvel to behold.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    I wonder if they actually sell any of this stuff? 150 bucks for a piece of digital property that you probably won't even be playing in six months is crazy. This game is not pay to win by any means but man they really throw gambling boxes at you and an expensive cash shop. The one thing that actually pisses me off with this game is they make you sub for a crafting bag that makes inventory management so much easier. If you want to open up all your bag slots you will be grinding a long time. There should of been a option to buy the crafting bag on the crown shop.
    Gdemami
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited July 2018
    The problem with "ESO" is lack of content, customization, and Functions of housing.

$80 for a house or even $150 isn't bad...

The problem is the lack of reason for housing, the ability to buy furnished housing, and "Crafting Stations / Furniture directly from the cash shop such as outfit stations, blacksmiths etc, and even the ability to grow plants and stuff in the game, or mine ores and stuff from stations in the house similar to (Arche Age).

The lack of any ability to freely "Edit a characters appearance" for $15 a month, or included with premium subscription (While newer model) (F2P Games) and games like BDO offer this at a flat rate.

And the lack of any many cosmetic choices from the market, as well as making people have to gamble (Real Money) in the game to unlock cosmetic fashion and items if you want something.

This is what should turn people away from a MMO imo...

So in a Nutshell $150 gets you a good looking house that really does nothing?
    MoiraeYashaX
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    DAoC had great housing that actually served a purpose.  Games nowadays are just lazy money grabs.

Kyleran
    Scot said:
    Sorry but Tiller is the poster who did the What the Hell Am I Missing Here thread? If you don't like ESO and you listed about eight reasons last time why are you supposedly now considering $150 on a house?
    You didn't keep up with that thread then, I've been subbed to ESO  for a few months now and just renewed for 3 more. It has it's issues but I've found things to do and achievements to be gotten.

As for the mansion, a lot of people are disappointed in the fact that it's not Psijic architecture like Ceporah Tower and huge to try and furnish; it's a copy of the Alinor palace. I'm actually considering the Alinor Townhouse myself since it's close to crafting, banker, writs ect, and one of the few houses that isn't too big to fill with the allowed furniture allotment.

Phry said:
    kitarad said:

If you think those are good houses, then you would have loved the housing in SWG, it was probably one of many really good features that SWG had. :/
    SWG had one of the best housing systems, this comes pretty close with the building blocks that allow you to customize and build your own things with walls, stairs and small trinkets. We had no windows to the outside; I think they added windowed buildings later in the NGE.

Stjerneodd
    SWG Bloodfin vet

I bought one of those big houses with my ESO+ crowns and some spare money. I don't mind supporting a game in which I'm having a blast, in decent proportions of course. I wanted a Nord manor, so I got Hakkvild's High Hall.
    That's the only house I'll be buying with store currency though. They regularly bait players with quite nice places (that "goonies" style cave with a boat is definitely nice) but I'm very resistant to that kind of addiction.
    I was thinking Goonies when I first saw it as well, but I don't think 700 items would come close to filling it and it would still look empty. They really should raise the cap on manors.

Hakkvild's High Hall is a nice place, and is actually perfectly sized for the single person use. People have also been asking for more empty zones like Surreal Estate to build in, so they are adding a new zone which is on PTS now called Wolfhunter Glade

Kyleran[Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    People buy this shit at those prices and they spend hundreds of dollars also for a chance at a fluorescent green semi-transparent mount from crown crates - all of which is pretty easy stuff to develop.

I've never spent more than 45K (Snugpod) in game gold on any housing.

I knew ESO housing was not for me when it was released without even something as basic as additional storage. They did add that a year later but the way it was released and the pricing of crown shop exclusive housing with barely any functional benefits made it clear it was aimed at some other customer that cares more about decorating than function.

That other customer base is who development caters to these days and as long as people keep spending several times more than a year's sub on housing, crown crates and other fluff it's only going to get even more so that way.
    [Deleted User]Kylerangervaise1[Deleted User]YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    For $150, I couldn't almost buy a Switch on sale!

It sucks that it sounds like you drop all that coin and the building is capped on item decorations...

Gut Out!
    [Deleted User]

What, me worry?

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Each faction gets a free room in the bar which is fine for me as a free port to that city.  I wouldn't be surprised if housing eventually end up in holiday sales.  Pales next to Skyrim housing.  At least they don't charge extra to unlock rooms like in SWTOR.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Yep its this kind of garbage, along with the loot boxes, that made me decide to walk away from this game forever.
    haha, they seem to be handing a lot out for free lately, which is good because I would never dump money into them.
    Micro_Cuts
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Yep its this kind of garbage, along with the loot boxes, that made me decide to walk away from this game forever.
    You “walked away” from a game because of two things which are not required to play the game. 

Heh...
    KyleranYashaX

Tiller said:
    haha, they seem to be handing a lot out for free lately, which is good because I would never dump money into them.
    They've been doing that for a while now several times a year. They're even included in level-up rewards as well as the new monthly log-in rewards. They are also routinely given as one of the pre-order or special edition perks.

IMO it serves 2 purposes:

1. They get players who would otherwise ignore loot crates participating and maybe even buying some later.
    2. They get some of the more visible (desirable?) items in circulation with the people who gets those items for free or otherwise displaying them. A big part of loot box marketing has to do with keeping up with the Joneses and this acts as in game viral advertising for them.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

You “walked away” from a game because of two things which are not required to play the game. 

Heh...
    Any straw can break the camel's back. I have myself been playing a lot less recently because I'm pissed at how they implemented jewelry crafting but most importantly, their arrogance in refusing to engage the many players who have a problem with it.

If you're on the fence or otherwise just primed to leave any way, any large or small thing can tip you over the edge. It doesn't need to be an NGE crisis.
    [Deleted User]GdemamiKyleranYashaXlaserit

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    I'm tempted to jump back go Guild Wars 2, just to show them my support for supporting their playerbase. I'm just can't get over the fact that I couldn't find a single class it felt right to play.

15.000 crowns in ESO is ... 10 months of ESO subscription. I haven't bothered with a single house yet, so I don't think I will bother with the likes of that beast. I haven't even made up my mind what to buy with the 5.000 I already have (got me some character customisation options, no banker or merchant yet. No crates either).
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited July 2018
    Tiller said:
    Scot said:
    You didn't keep up with that thread then, I've been subbed to ESO  for a few months now and just renewed for 3 more. It has it's issues but I've found things to do and achievements to be gotten.

As for the mansion, a lot of people are disappointed in the fact that it's not Psijic architecture like Ceporah Tower and huge to try and furnish; it's a copy of the Alinor palace. I'm actually considering the Alinor Townhouse myself since it's close to crafting, banker, writs ect, and one of the few houses that isn't too big to fill with the allowed furniture allotment.

Phry said:
    kitarad said:

SWG had one of the best housing systems, this comes pretty close with the building blocks that allow you to customize and build your own things with walls, stairs and small trinkets. We had no windows to the outside; I think they added windowed buildings later in the NGE.

Fair enough then you are playing, but your beef (or some players) is about the architecture of the house? That does seem a little picky.

But the price is way too high, which makes me think of my golden rule. If you see new gameplay which is good in a MMO, you may see it again in another MMO, some time, some where. If you see a new dodgy business practice in a MMO, you will see it again in the next MMO you play and the next and hear that virtually every MMO is now doing something like that.
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scot said:
    Tiller said:
    Scot said:

Phry said:
    kitarad said:

Fair enough then you are playing, but your beef (or some players) is about the architecture of the house? That does seem a little picky.

But the price is way too high, which makes me think of my golden rule. If you see new gameplay which is good in a MMO, you may see it again in another MMO, some time, some where. If you see a new dodgy business practice in a MMO, you will see it again in the next MMO you play and the next and hear that virtually every MMO is now doing something like that.
    My golden rule,  "blame the addict, not the pusher."

If these "dodgy" business practices were totally ignored by the player community, they would not continue to be propagated.

Every time a gamer buys into something, be it $150 houses, loot crates, early access, or buggy, incomplete releases, it makes things worse for the rest of us who would like to see such practices discontinued. 

But hey, "it's their money" or they don't care, they are "having fun" after all.

For the rest of us, a bit more of what we enjoy from gaming dies, often never to return.

Yeah, it's "bitter Thursday," but no worries,  Friday's coming.  ;)

Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon