Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No grind or different kind of grind?

benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
In the 3rd devblog about Fractured it is explained that there is no grind, no lvl's and no xp (and no powergap between gear too). Instead you devellop your character horizontally by becomming more knowledgable when you explore the three planets:
https://fracturedmmo.com/feature-spotlight-3-knowledge-system/

In many mmorpg's I hated it when there where preferred spots with best xp/hour if you grind there. Spots that are often overcrowded or locked by zerg guilds. I really hope this knowledge system will bring something different. Do you think this is a system with no grind or nust a different kind of grind?

Comments

• Goth-XGoth-X Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited June 2018
    The game feels fresh and brings some new concepts to the table. It will be interesting to see this in action.

I can say that I look forward to horizontal progression and no classic grind.

https://fracturedmmo.com/news/

I found a lots of spotlights here presenting a game and how it will look like. Lets hope devs are successful in bringing their full vision into reality.

I also like that if you create your account already, just by reading about the game, sharing on social media, and just by discussing it a bit in their forums, you can already get a lots of nice free rewards, mounts, outfits, even in game currency, and it costs you nothing.

https://fracturedmmo.com/?refcode=6cfbaa842ea8 (I'm looking for some new recruits if you wish to join me with the quest) :)
    MadFrenchie
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    IMO MOST of the time these ideas are to short cut deeper systems,more effort,they are trying to build CHEAP games.

Can it still work,yes because stats are EASY to implement,they are just numbers.
    There can be an easy way to do it that gives players CHOICE.

The way is for the devs to offer deep combat systems with various resistances.So then it is not as easy as go there,best xp.Second you create bonuses to drops/xp and rewards for certain types of killing.

So target area A might be good for chaining kills to get bonus currency,another target area might focus on better drop rates for crafting items,another target area might offer better  SKILL "Sword skill/Axe skill etc etc"xp for chaining kills and another area might offer rewards for various combination killing,example kill a rabbit then kill a Crab then kill a Buffalo then kill a Beastmen like an Orc or Goblin and if done in proper order and within a time limit for each kill then you get a nice gear reward or something else.
    That way the choice is yours,do you want crafting items or currency or fast xp or gear.
    Bottom line is that each way you feel like you are accomplishing more than one simple goal which is to level up.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Looks like it could be fun.
    benseine
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2018
    Goth-X said:
    The game feels fresh and brings some new concepts to the table. It will be interesting to see this in action.

I can say that I look forward to horizontal progression and no classic grind.

https://fracturedmmo.com/news/

I found a lots of spotlights here presenting a game and how it will look like. Lets hope devs are successful in bringing their full vision into reality.

I also like that if you create your account already, just by reading about the game, sharing on social media, and just by discussing it a bit in their forums, you can already get a lots of nice free rewards, mounts, outfits, even in game currency, and it costs you nothing.

https://fracturedmmo.com/?refcode=6cfbaa842ea8 (I'm looking for some new recruits if you wish to join me with the quest) :)
    Hmm, I've been looking for a good iso MMORPG.  I wonder if I shouldn't keep an eye here.

EDIT- how early on is it?  I'm not a huge fan of playing anything earlier than beta builds, and likely won't shell out any cash until the game looks worth it right at that moment.

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Just because there's no levels doesn't mean there isn't any grind. To even suggest such is to show the world that you don't even understand the word "grind". Just stupid PR marketing talk. Just like when GW2 was talking about "there's no "Kill 20 boars" quests in our game" uhhh, yes there is, it's not outright saying to kill 20 boars, but reknown hearts are no different than regular old questing in games.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    One thing concerning is them thinking horizontal progression won't have a grind....horizontal progression is synomous with grinding given the fact that you have multiple paths to choose from and such, meaning you'll need more things, so yeah grinding....for them to not understand that....
    [Deleted User]
  • benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    edited July 2018
    Wizardry said: 
    IMO MOST of the time these ideas are to short cut deeper systems,more effort,they are trying to build CHEAP games.

Can it still work,yes because stats are EASY to implement,they are just numbers.
    There can be an easy way to do it that gives players CHOICE.

The way is for the devs to offer deep combat systems with various resistances.So then it is not as easy as go there,best xp.Second you create bonuses to drops/xp and rewards for certain types of killing.

So target area A might be good for chaining kills to get bonus currency,another target area might focus on better drop rates for crafting items,another target area might offer better  SKILL "Sword skill/Axe skill etc etc"xp for chaining kills and another area might offer rewards for various combination killing,example kill a rabbit then kill a Crab then kill a Buffalo then kill a Beastmen like an Orc or Goblin and if done in proper order and within a time limit for each kill then you get a nice gear reward or something else.
    That way the choice is yours,do you want crafting items or currency or fast xp or gear.
    Bottom line is that each way you feel like you are accomplishing more than one simple goal which is to level up.
    Well I don't think they are trying to make cheap games. They are a small studio that try to make a game on a massive scale with limited resources. That's a little different in my opinion. BUT their retail price will be 30 for a b2p mmorpg. Atleast they are not trying to ripp us of by asking 60+subscription like all the big studio's do (that ofc need to ask that to earn back the larger investments). So 30 is fair price right? Can even be 20 on kickstarter atm.
    @MadFrenchie the game is currently in pre-alpha.  Alpha1 is planned for Q4 I believe
    MadFrenchie
    @Sephiroso I think you are right. But my main cornern was that it usually ends up in one location with the highest lvl mobs that give most xp. With the exoration system you spread all players over all area's
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    benseine said:
    @Sephiroso I think you are right. But my main cornern was that it usually ends up in one location with the highest lvl mobs that give most xp. With the exoration system you spread all players over all area's
    That depends on their sub systems too working in tandem. GW2 has an exploration system that you could say spreads out its players over all areas. Especially since rewards scale based on your level. So you can still get lvl 80 gear in low lvl areas.

But, the best meta events typically are in higher level areas which most people crowd around to do those for the most part.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

@Sephiroso well in gw2 that is all in a very save pve enviroment. In full loot sandboxgames like Darkfall or Albion Online that is not the case, all FFA PvP. In Fractured you have something in between. 3 planets, one with pveruleset, one with karma pvp, one with FFA PvP. To explore all and become more knowledgable you need to visit all 3.
    @DMKano idd different strokes for different folks. I can't stand powergaps between players like you have in Black Desert Online for example. I'm glad they are taking a more MOBA approach to a mmorpg.
    Ungood
  • Indigo3x3Indigo3x3 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I don't mind grind, as-long as its worth it in the end, and some sort of fun. 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    @DMKano

I like the way GW2 handles it, as there is progression, where I can level up and the lower level players can't do that content, but if I want to do the low level zones for, map completion, or quests, or what have you, I can still gain progress from it.

It's a pretty cool compromise between the two desires.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• NeedlehawkeNeedlehawke Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I am looking forward to trying out the horizontal progression and giving it a chance. It seems like its not going to be based on killing x number of things, but rather on random discoveries. As I said, I'm willing to give the devs the benefit of the doubt, since they are trying to make something new.
    I am looking forward to trying out the horizontal progression and giving it a chance. It seems like its not going to be based on killing x number of things, but rather on random discoveries. As I said, I'm willing to give the devs the benefit of the doubt, since they are trying to make something new.
    yup, sometimes based on a series of activities spread across tree planets. That will keep us busy for a while. Just hoping some wiki won't spoil to much for everyone. Hope there is some random factor in it to prevent that.
  • NeedlehawkeNeedlehawke Member UncommonPosts: 12
    You know, I was thinking the same thing. I hope that the tasks for the abilities are at least somewhat random, especially the ones to discover the abilities in the first place. Or else, there will soon be builds published that say "Create you character, then do X to discover Y, A to discover B", on so on.
    @Needlehawke yeah in a pvp mmorpg it's waay to tempting to use the wiki instead of exploring yourself like a single player rpg and only use a wiki/faq if ypu are completely stuck
  • RofusEURofusEU Member UncommonPosts: 58
    It would actually be pretty interesting if the way to attain somesome abilities was random or changing every now and then. I think Age of Wushu/Wulin had a bit randomness with skills as some skillbooks could be attained only from random drops which was awesome.