Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArtCraft Technologies is a New Division to Focus on Engine Licensing - Crowfall - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageArtCraft Technologies is a New Division to Focus on Engine Licensing - Crowfall - MMORPG.com

Crowfall News - ArtCraft has announced the formation of a new division that will be focused on licensing the Artisan Engine. Called ArtCraft Technologies, the division "will focus on providing game developers with turnkey technology solutions for creating large-scale MMOs based on the technology behind their flagship title, Crowfall".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

JamesGoblin

Comments

• DrWigglyDrWiggly Member UncommonPosts: 26
    If they license i like Unity or Unreal it could be pretty sweat. If they offer hosting and automation like Amazon it could be even cooler.
    SBFordJamesGoblin
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    so the game is not even out and they are trying to sell the engine?
    makevaliAlexander.BJamesGoblin
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

I was thinking the very same thing, surely you would want people to use the engine first which would then make others want to use it, at the moment wouldn't this be akin to buying a product in a brown paper bag after being told it is awesome.

This strikes me as getting rather ahead of yourselves, and says more about the personalities running the project, their ego's and the possible need to rake in more funds.

Why do I say ego, well when you use the term "Flagship" and then state to provide solutions for large scale MMO's, and you have not released your "Flagship" product yet, so no one truly knows if its really any good...………….They really should not of done this press release at best makes them look silly and egotistical at worst shysters with a need for funds.
    AlbatroesmakevaliAlexander.BXingbairongJamesGoblin

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    But aren't they using the Unity engine to build Crowfall? How does this work? Are they re-licensing the Unity product, with their own MMO code built on top of it?
    --------------------------------------------
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

kruler said:

I was thinking the very same thing, surely you would want people to use the engine first which would then make others want to use it, at the moment wouldn't this be akin to buying a product in a brown paper bag after being told it is awesome.

This strikes me as getting rather ahead of yourselves, and says more about the personalities running the project, their ego's and the possible need to rake in more funds.

Why do I say ego, well when you use the term "Flagship" and then state to provide solutions for large scale MMO's, and you have not released your "Flagship" product yet, so no one truly knows if its really any good...………….They really should not of done this press release at best makes them look silly and egotistical at worst shysters with a need for funds.

My sentiments exactly. They have no retail experience yet are "boasting" their game can handle a large load frequently? No proof though....To be perfectly honest, this is just feel like a cash grab to me at this point. Even if its not, its giving the general impression that it is seeing as the game keeps getting delayed yet they can try and sell other potential developers a concept, not even a validated product. Release the game first and let the general public have access to the product you were originally backed to produce first before getting a head of yourself and trying to sell something on the side.
    JamesGoblin
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    This whole thing came about because Artcraft was approached by other companies about licensing the engine. These discussions began almost a year ago and one of the companies has now purchased a license.

If other companies come to you and ask about buying something, you'd be stupid not to at least explore the idea. And for these other companies, licensing the engine will save them a huge amount of time and money. That's a whole lot of infrastructure that you don't have to build yourself.

This is a good thing for the MMO industry.
    RhomsOctagon7711CryomatrixJamesGoblinTacticalZombeh
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Arkade99 said:

This whole thing came about because Artcraft was approached by other companies about licensing the engine. These discussions began almost a year ago and one of the companies has now purchased a license.

If other companies come to you and ask about buying something, you'd be stupid not to at least explore the idea. And for these other companies, licensing the engine will save them a huge amount of time and money. That's a whole lot of infrastructure that you don't have to build yourself.

From a business perspective, yes it is purely stupid to pass it up. Keep in mind that crowdfunded projects are touted for being developed with the main focus of the producing something the general community support wants. A move like this just makes it look like they are just going into business for themselves, especially since the engine has never been truly tested yet. Depending on world size coupled with the amount of detail they are trying to push during each world's "season" so to speak, there's no telling how it will do long term. Again, business wise its smart, but something like this runs to risk to dry up initial support as well as influence other crowdfunding projects (not associated with them) simple because of the risk these guys become the people they advertising not to be.
    MadFrenchie
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Maybe it's easier to think of ways to make more money then to actually finish a game using what you already have?
    JamesGoblin

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Idk... If it helps ArtCraft fund development in order to fully finish Crowfall before release, instead of proceeding with their "soft launch" approach, then I'm all for it.
    killerqueer
    --------------------------------------------

Albatroes said:

Arkade99 said:

From a business perspective, yes it is purely stupid to pass it up. Keep in mind that crowdfunded projects are touted for being developed with the main focus of the producing something the general community support wants. A move like this just makes it look like they are just going into business for themselves, especially since the engine has never been truly tested yet. Depending on world size coupled with the amount of detail they are trying to push during each world's "season" so to speak, there's no telling how it will do long term. Again, business wise its smart, but something like this runs to risk to dry up initial support as well as influence other crowdfunding projects (not associated with them) simple because of the risk these guys become the people they advertising not to be.

Artcraft has said many times in the past that they aren't in this for just 1 game. They plan to make other games in the future and grow the company in whatever ways make sense.

Also, they aren't selling Crowfall to these companies. They are simply selling the tools that Artcraft is using to make Crowfall. Whether or not the ideas behind Crowfall succeed or fail is irrelevant. These other companies will use those tools to make completely different games.

As I said before, these discussions have been going on for nearly a year, so I'm sure the company that bought the license has done their due diligence and believes that the engine fits the design goals for their own games.

We'll see how it goes, I guess. I'm looking forward to the official announcement which identifies the company and hopefully will provide some information about what game(s) they plan to make.
    JamesGoblinlahnmir
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    They've also been selling the game that's not even out ever since start of Kickstarter.
    JamesGoblinkillerqueer

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Maybe it's easier to think of ways to make more money then to actually finish a game using what you already have?

to me shows more lack of focus, and I find it hard to belive one product who was not user tested being asked to be used from other companys, more likely its the other way around

Vrika said:

They've also been selling the game that's not even out ever since start of Kickstarter.

meh SC, and others did/do that but from the herd mentality its ok, I consider it a scam, till its out and done I don't get close,I admit some games I played started as a kickstart, but I didn't bother to get close to it till the game was out
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    It seems a bit soon for this. They should get Crowfall Live and see all the metrics on how it performs and how it's received by the community. I'm doubtful that many will take them up on their offer until these things happen.
    [Deleted User]

I self identify as a monkey.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    But aren't they using the Unity engine to build Crowfall? How does this work? Are they re-licensing the Unity product, with their own MMO code built on top of it?
    Well there has been some news on this very subject from devs licensing terms and claiming changes that then prioritize the engine as their own build.So then comes the dickering over licensing rights and what they can do,example they are claiming their TOOLS will help devs make games faster.

Tools is quite,well an EXTREMELY vague term.Example Unreal has all kinds of built in tools ,other engines incorporate other studios tools into their engine use,there are lot's of business deals out there with game engines and how they are tool and used and supported.
    I do not personally think Crowfall can offer anything Unreal is not already offering,including extensive help if trying to achieve something special for their game/engine.
    All comes down to what type of licensing deal you want to swing,then it comes down to costs,depth/quality of the tools.
    Like others have stated ,it is simply TOO early to be marketing these tools,i guess it definitely doesn't hurt them,some developers will come taking a look seeing if there is a really good bargain here.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

mgilbrtsn said:

It seems a bit soon for this. They should get Crowfall Live and see all the metrics on how it performs and how it's received by the community. I'm doubtful that many will take them up on their offer until these things happen.

As I said before, other companies approached Artcraft nearly a year ago and one has already bought the license. That company understands what they are buying far better than we do. Maybe they will one day regret their purchase, but they aren't going into it blind.
    JamesGoblin
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited July 2018
    Isn't them having an engine that's so well appreciated that others want to license it a GOOD thing?That means at LEAST the engine is reliable. RIGHT?

I get what folks are saying in regard to the actual game, but I think the engine team and the creative team are not one in the same.

If you think about a development sprint it isn't linear/asynchronous. To me all this means that the "engine" sticky notes were handled, reviewed and was a success and they want a safety net for their company if Crowfall fails. That's fair, and they aren't putting the burden on the players. +1

*grammar*
    Post edited by FlyByKnight on
    JamesGoblinlahnmiralkarionlog
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Some more info from recent VentureBeat interview ( https://venturebeat.com/2018/07/10/crowfall-studio-artcraft-will-license-its-mmo-making-tool-artisan-engine/ )

"...But this new venture will not slow down Crowfall’s development. The added revenue could help the project.Hopefully we’ll be able to speed it up,” Josef Hall, vice president of engine technology, told GamesBeat.
    “We’re able to bring more people on. That’s what I’ve been focused on for the last month, bringing in more talent and helping accelerate things. Right now one of my top priorities is obviously getting Crowfall out the door. Really it should be a force multiplier.”

Also note that Unity is just a part of Crowfall tech, all of which is being built (and heavily tested by players) since at least 2015.
    Rhoms
     W...aaagh?
    J. Todd Coleman did an interview about the new Artisan Engine that I think will clear up a lot of questions.

http://massivelyop.com/2018/07/11/interview-artcrafts-j-todd-coleman-on-prepping-crowfalls-artisan-engine-for-the-broader-industry/
    JamesGoblinalkarionlog