Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heroes Raise Nearly 13 MILLION Dollars Through Charity Mercy Skin - Overwatch - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageHeroes Raise Nearly 13 MILLION Dollars Through Charity Mercy Skin - Overwatch - MMORPG.com

Overwatch News - The Overwatch Twitter has just announced that sales of the pink Mercy skin on behalf of the Breast Cancer Research Foundation has raised $12.7 MILLION. 100% of the proceeds from the sales of the skin will go directly to the charitable foundation. All we can say is that we are blown away. As Blizzard wrote, "Thank you, heroes!"

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    And people say cosmetics don't matter ...
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    As an owner of the skin (which is awesome) and a survivor, I'm humbled. I'd love to see them do this for more health-related charities, Red Cross initiatives, Habitat For Humanity...whatever. It's win-win for everyone -- the charity, the player and the company. Kudos to all of the heroes and to Blizzard for providing the means.
    NephethJeffSpicoliPanther2103[Deleted User]AlbatroesSabracTyranusPrime

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Great Job once again ATVI , giving back to the community ...
    SBFord
  • learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 169
    edited July 2018
    Wow... 13 million dollars from buying a skin. That's pretty nuts, like broken tier nuts. Quite incredible.

Mend and Defend

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited July 2018
    People can say what they want about Blizzard, but they do stuff like this 3-4 times out of the year every year which deserves respect. I've NEVER seen SE donate anything to charity (publicly). Heck, when they had that major earthquake in japan I believe 1-2 years ago, the only thing SE did was stall the housing demolition system for 3 months....awesome....
    SBFord
  • khelbonkhelbon Member UncommonPosts: 124

Well, I am not a fan of Overwatch and frankly dislike the whole game them doing this as often as they do deserves some respect anyway you slice it!! Would be nice to see more companies doing this though because its a win-win for everyone involved.
    SBFord
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I am not going to say anything bad about Blizzard,this is 100% proceeds,sure it is good PR for the business and partially why they do it but still a VERY good gesture...however.
    I will not chance my stance on charities,i consider every last one one of them,100% of them to be misleading people in the wording and where the money actually goes.

None the less,kudos to Blizzard.
    Seelinnikoi

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JimWraithJimWraith Member UncommonPosts: 127
    I don't even really play Overwatch anymore, but I said "why not?" and bought the skin. I've easily spent money on worse things.
    SBFord
  • ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    Cancer has a history in my family, and there are doctors in my family.
    When we donate or help the facilities by donating our time and money to them, we actually directly donate to the research groups and foundations.

This eliminates the legal jargon on the difference between a proceed and a sale, which makes the statement "100% of proceeds will go to cause X" become totally irrelevant. Its not that I don't have a heart, but the opposite. Foundations that are started by those within the medical communities (and linked to medical research centers) are subject to the same regulations and laws that the medical profession must abide by.

Also, as of 2016.
    Direct Donations to Foundations linked to medical communities work on the principal of fighting cancer overall as a whole. They are not allowed to legally stack for or against a specific cancer. This results in thousands of single-cancer fund-raising donation groups, who are subject to all basic laws of charities.

My personal favorite is that a charity legally has the right to use 80% of what has been donated to carry operations within the charity (pay employees, spread the cause... train people, etc). So this means that out of 13 million, they can keep 10.4 million, send 2.6 million to whatever organization handles cancer research, where they can make use of that money.

Still is a good quantity of money.
    Legal definition of a proceed is the amount of money declared of a sale or venture to be within regulation or compliance. In the business and legal world, one makes declarations of Net Proceeds and Gross Proceeds.

I am glad that Blizzard attempted to do something and they do hold charities directly, but I trust giving my time, money, and energy DIRECTLY to the actual organizations that handle the research directly to cut out the middle man.

Its a no-brainer...
    Do I want to give my money directly to a video game developer in exchange for a skin representing my support for the cause? Or would I rather give my time, money, and energy, two weeks per summer and two weeks per winter directly to the groups working on cures? They are shorthanded and could really use the help.

I know I help out, but
    I am also a firm believer that if a cure were to be invented, it wouldn't be for the general population, but for the Rich People that could afford it. Just like a loved one that died from cancer who was in the lower class and had little to no medical insurance and was forgotten, while my neighbor who made six figures a year was able to get cured and go into remission. She told me the words that plague me which were "Poor people get treatments, Rich people get cures.... and that is how the world works"

I hope a cure is developed, but delivery can be inclusive to the population and not exclusive to few.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Shinami said:

When we donate or help the facilities by donating our time and money to them, we actually directly donate to the research groups and foundations.

This eliminates the legal jargon on the difference between a proceed and a sale, which makes the statement "100% of proceeds will go to cause X" become totally irrelevant. Its not that I don't have a heart, but the opposite. Foundations that are started by those within the medical communities (and linked to medical research centers) are subject to the same regulations and laws that the medical profession must abide by.

Also, as of 2016.

Direct Donations to Foundations linked to medical communities work on the principal of fighting cancer overall as a whole. They are not allowed to legally stack for or against a specific cancer. This results in thousands of single-cancer fund-raising donation groups, who are subject to all basic laws of charities.

My personal favorite is that a charity legally has the right to use 80% of what has been donated to carry operations within the charity (pay employees, spread the cause... train people, etc). So this means that out of 13 million, they can keep 10.4 million, send 2.6 million to whatever organization handles cancer research, where they can make use of that money.

Legal definition of a proceed is the amount of money declared of a sale or venture to be within regulation or compliance. In the business and legal world, one makes declarations of Net Proceeds and Gross Proceeds.

I am glad that Blizzard attempted to do something and they do hold charities directly, but I trust giving my time, money, and energy DIRECTLY to the actual organizations that handle the research directly to cut out the middle man.

Its a no-brainer...

Do I want to give my money directly to a video game developer in exchange for a skin representing my support for the cause? Or would I rather give my time, money, and energy, two weeks per summer and two weeks per winter directly to the groups working on cures? They are shorthanded and could really use the help.

I know I help out, but

I am also a firm believer that if a cure were to be invented, it wouldn't be for the general population, but for the Rich People that could afford it. Just like a loved one that died from cancer who was in the lower class and had little to no medical insurance and was forgotten, while my neighbor who made six figures a year was able to get cured and go into remission. She told me the words that plague me which were "Poor people get treatments, Rich people get cures.... and that is how the world works"

I hope a cure is developed, but delivery can be inclusive to the population and not exclusive to few.

Try Something alternative, it s worked for my family many times. Doctors are limited on what they learn. Pumping yourself with a chemical is not the answer, period.
    Seelinnikoi

Shinami said:

Also, as of 2016.

Its a no-brainer...

I know I help out, but

Ah yes to be Amreican.

Soki123 said:

Shinami said:

Also, as of 2016.

Its a no-brainer...

I know I help out, but

Try Something alternative, it s worked for my family many times. Doctors are limited on what they learn. Pumping yourself with a chemical is not the answer, period.

Didn't work for Steve Jobs.  I'd say stick with established treatments.

And pumping yourself with chemicals is sometimes the only answer, period.  It works, which is more than can be said for "alternative" treatments.

If you say so. I ll stick with what I say. Traditional is crap, and rarely works, just makes it worse in most cases.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Soki123 said:

Soki123 said:

Shinami said:

Also, as of 2016.

Its a no-brainer...

I know I help out, but

And pumping yourself with chemicals is sometimes the only answer, period.  It works, which is more than can be said for "alternative" treatments.

If you say so. I ll stick with what I say. Traditional is crap, and rarely works, just makes it worse in most cases.
    You very literally don't know what you're talking about.  There are millions of cancer survivors in the US that owe their lives to chemotherapy and radiation treatments.  I live with one of them.
    Don't bother. You can't reason with people like him. Believe me, I've tried on many occasions. They're just too good at ignoring facts and statistics, and convinced that the medical community is completely corrupt and doesn't want to cure cancer, because we all know that dead people pay their medical bills, right?
    Soki123

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Soki123 said:

Soki123 said:

Shinami said:

Also, as of 2016.

Its a no-brainer...

I know I help out, but

You very literally don't know what you're talking about.  There are millions of cancer survivors in the US that owe their lives to chemotherapy and radiation treatments.  I live with one of them.
    I m living proof of it so until you have a fucking clue about it stfu.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    This thread is now going places.
    Seelinnikoi
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Xasapis said:

And people say cosmetics don't matter ...

Yeah people say cosmetics don't matter but they do big times good qualtiy games without the Pay 2 Enjoy / Pay 2 win is what keeps people playing.

Black Desert for example isn't Pay 2 Win, but its got tons of casual players that are bored because they have nothing to do IMO and players spend like $20+ a month on it lots of players so it makes a lot of money...

Games like ESO get their cosmetic system wrong, limited customization, very little cosmetic armors and its really crappy so they don't make as much as they could.

But I Think companies are starting to kinda get the hang of it like Conan Exiles release DLC and cosmetic packs even if its not a multi-million dolalr company people buy packs.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Soki123 said:

Soki123 said:

Shinami said:

Also, as of 2016.

Its a no-brainer...

I know I help out, but

Stop it. 3 people very close to me stopped their doctors treatment and went the alternative route. You know what they all have in common? They are all dead.

You can not say that one thing works and the other doesn't, its not just ignorant, it is dangerous. It worked for you? Great. That makes you a survivor, not an expert. 

Like I said, awesome it worked for you, but this stance you are taking is dangerous and insulting for those out there still fighting and researching, be smarter.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Soki123 said:

Shinami said:

Also, as of 2016.

Its a no-brainer...

I know I help out, but

You must be one of those idiots that think vaccines are bad too! Please don't breed.
    Seelinnikoi