Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Natural or innovatave

Natural or innovative, 
This post is in reference to several posters wanting a dynamic world.  They seem to think developers are playing it "safe" when in fact they're actually attempting something much harder by creating a natural world.  

By other developers "showing off their computer skills" only irritate players in the long run.  That snot nose kid that graduated with a Masters degree in computer programming is no match for someone that can pull off a lean natural flowing game in every detail.  This is yet another example of a skill that can't be learned in collage.  

At work whenever we get that new engineer with his four year degree, its common for us to tell him "sit down and shut up, you don't know anything kid".  Their fancy ideas never work.  I can prove the same with mmorpg's……. Simply look at the mess we have in our Multi player games !!! 

Fun tricks are actually fun... for about two minuets.  Then were stuck with the same dynamic stuff for a duration.  That two minuets of cool was passed three months ago and now we have to do it over and over again forever.  

"Fun tricks" are no match for a party of 6 attempting to sneak into a village of impossible odds and stealing magical hammer from the Commanders tent.  

The difference between 2004 and 2018 and seasoned developers are in the detail.  It's in the back round.  Unspoken Artificial Intelligence of the Bandits and the innovative skills given to the players to pull it off.  Hart pounding and never the same situation twice...…. Try that collage kid !   

If you really want an auto dynamic group dragon fight, see the list of 200 games here on mmorpg.com and continue complaining about nothing new ! 

I want Pantheon with humble unspoken AI and player skills never seen before in any game, created by true master craftsmen :) 
svann

Comments

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited July 2018
    The best way to have dynamic MMO is sandbox-orientation. I think PvP is integral because non-players can't be nearly as innovative or unpredictable. I think Wurm Online, which first entered the scene about 10 years ago, achieved this well enough, at least as a starting point. Many games since then have adopted the sandbox approach. By allowing players to build the world, it has a dynamic nature. Wurm Online went a step further and allowed for seasons and spreading of animals/trees. You can change the animals in your area by killing the dens. You can change the vegetation by cutting things down. The day/night and weather and unpredictable pathing of creatures and players make it so that it's almost never the same moments day to day.

If I log into an area several months after, a lot has changed since I was there. Most of the buildings are decayed. Things are broken into. The landscape also slightly chnages automatically (it's programmed to alter itself slightly over long periods). Players alter the landscape. The creatures change. The foilage changes. It's very dynamic but still maintains some consistency.

Dwarf Fortress might be the best example of single player dynamic content.

Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Yet another thread which I am unable to discern an actual point.

I must be getting too old for these conversations.

Back to trying how to get Netflix on my iPad.

;)
    Mendel[Deleted User]GaendricScotAmathe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Kyleran said:

;)
    < a few hours later> 

Did you get the Netflix working yet ?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited July 2018
    Kyleran said:

;)
    < a few hours later> 

No, but I did cancel my 4 EVE subs, moved all my stuff in 0.0 back to high sec and quit my corp, which took a good 4 hours or so.

Just didn't find the fun this time around, will stick with single player games for the forseeable future.
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    < a few hours later> 

No, but I did cancel my 4 EVE subs, moved all my stuff in 0.0 back to high sec and quit my corp, which took a good 4 hours or so.

Just didn't find the fun this time around, will stick with single player games for the forseeable future.
    Highly recommend Hollow Knight if you're looking for something fun.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Over and over I have seen people claim that the advantage of PvP is that players are 'unpredictable ', I have always found the reverse, players are highly predictable and mostly stupid. Just find a quiet spot in your favorite battleground, one where you can observe the action without participating. After a few rounds you will see the same patterns over and over again. With the same results over and over again.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Over and over I have seen people claim that the advantage of PvP is that players are 'unpredictable ', I have always found the reverse, players are highly predictable and mostly stupid. Just find a quiet spot in your favorite battleground, one where you can observe the action without participating. After a few rounds you will see the same patterns over and over again. With the same results over and over again.

Your right, 
    I could prove it by being one of those predictable players. 

I really don't like PvP much however back in my old Vanilla WoW Battleground days, I had a set pattern that would really work for me.  But on occasion someone would figure out what I was doing and camping my spots or waiting for me. 

Like a robot I would do it over and over, insisting that it would work anyway, only to wind up dead each time.... I was aa creature of habit ! 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Can some of those "several posters wanting a dynamic world" come on here and explain what this is about? You have lost me Delete. :)
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2018
    In the text/PR it sounds a bit above the rest but in reality,i see same old and maybe a bit below average.

I see some talking pvp,that does NOT make a game nor is it content and is basically the same systems that are already in a game,so really does NOTHING for a game.

As to a more realistic opinion i read and that was the notion that real players are less predictable,sure that is a legit excuse but is not ALWAYS the case.If you have two unbalanced players predictability means squat,so there lies the real problem with pvp,you need to handcuff a games potential to cater to balancing for pvp.

I have yet to see anything that will give this game character the way FFXI did with sub classes and the way FFXI did grouping xp and mechanics.I really don't see anything at al that will leave players saying "hmm this system is done better than other games".
    I am not even sure any of it matters,a large majority of rpg gamer's don't care about a rpg,that is why they focus on pvp and another large portion only care about end game,best loot.So we likely see same old game with most of the problems coming from complaining players who want an RPG to be anything but an rpg.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I get really worried when I start hearing "living world". I have yet to see a game do it without making it awkward or clunky. I get the idea, don't get me wrong. And the first company to pull it off seamlessly will end up with a hit on their hands I think. 

But I don't know that I want that from Pantheon. I want EQ at launch with better graphics. I like the idea of "perception" to find certain lore and quests, but at the same time, it makes me think that if I ignore some rudimentary skill (that will likely be boring as hell to level) that I will miss out on quests that give good loot. That's bad design for MMOs. 

Regardless, I am hyped for this game. I just need them to code faster.