Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert makes STEAM's Gold Top Sellers List of 2018 and has 1.4 Million Players!

2»

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I wonder how many people have multiple accounts?  And if it's worth having a lot of them for specialization?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    There's only 3 things saving BDO from failing and being on this list.

1. Beautiful Graphics.
    2. Easily the best core combat system of all action combat mmo's(Kakao keeps trying to fuck things up though)
    3. Lack of anything on the same level regarding 1 and 2.

There aren't that many action combat mmos number one. The memorable ones that i can name are WildStar, Tera, Blade and Soul, ArcheAge, Skyforge. I'm sure i'm missing a few more but those are pretty much it for the big ones with some level of polish to them.

Everyone knows how AA shot themselves in the foot(Kakao is essentially in the process of doing this to themselves and once a new big action combat comes along, people will leave BDO in droves like they did AA). WildStar's numbers obviously never really got healthy even after it went f2p and changed a lot of what they were so stubborn about(like 40 man raids lol).

Skyforge's limiting of gameplay was it's downfall. Also the classes felt super dull so that never took off very well. Leaving Tera and BnS. Tera, yet another game that couldn't hack the p2p payment structure and decided to go f2p to survive. They succeeded though the conversion to f2p made spawned an inferior game in my opinion. The game didn't do anything overly wrong, it just had a bunch of little things that added up to an overall "meh" experience for me. It also didn't do anything overly right either which attributed to that feeling. BnS, i'll be honest the combat is just overly complicated. That's all i can really say about it.

All of this is why BDO reigns king as far as action combat mmos go. It's combat isn't overly complicated, but it still has enough depth that you can easily tell a skilled player from a noob. It's combat is beautiful looking and flows so nicely. Your character reacts in a way when you press a button that you expect them to. It's very close to perfection from what I want in a combat system.(only way it could be better is if we had more actual choice in skills like Dmkano touched on).

The only reason i played BDO for as long as i did is strictly because of it's combat(as well as the graphics and boob physics). If the combat wasn't so fun, i would have long abandoned BDO. It's a shame that there's a lack of action combat mmo's to have fun with. Everything else with BDO, the p2w, the forced pvp, the terribly executed cp and node system, the absolutely god awful server issues(and no, not just during node wars). The lack of meaningful pve...i could go on and on.

Oh yea, i remembered a game i forgot. GW2, kinda funny i forgot it since i'm currently playing it. The problem with GW2 is its not actual action combat. It's hybrid with tab target. And their action camera was tacked on later and it shows. Also you can't change the order of your weapon abilities at all so it makes it difficult when playing more than 1 class. Say for instance i typically like to have all my charge abilities be on my number 2. My main resource generator/spam attack on 3(or left click) and my main resource spender/strong attack on 6(or right click). Well GW2 i don't have much of a choice. I do if i only play 1 class because i just change my hotkeys. But for some stupid reason hotkeys in GW2 is changed for the whole account and not character based. So when i swap to another character, my 2 is no longer my gap closer, it's now a cc. My 6 is no longer a resource spender, it's now a stealth. It's a big issue.

Also the action camera doesn't work exactly the way i'd like it too, there's a big issue with the angles and zoom in/out. Even with the sliders they give you it doesn't quite feel right.

So yea, tl;dr BDO is king regarding action mmo's because 1. It's combat. 2. It's graphics. and 3. there really isn't any other action combat mmo that does combat anywhere near as well and have graphics that good either.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    I wonder how many people have multiple accounts?  And if it's worth having a lot of them for specialization?
    You have to pay for having more than one account, so most likely very few.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    MaxBacon said:
    You have to pay for having more than one account, so most likely very few.
    The average fortnite player spends 60 bucks...fortnite is a free game....And we're talking about the average player soooo. I don't think 5 dollars is gonna stop people all that much.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,853
    The numbers that were data mined are NOT sales. They are the number of people that have atleast 1 achievement in the game.

Thats why you dont see Dota 2 on the list.

So, people that bought the game, played for 10 minutes, got an achievement, then uninstalled and refunded would be counted in this.

Also, people that got the game during a free weekend would also be counted.

Thats the problem with these kind of numbers, ignorant people throw them around without context because it suits their agenda.
    [Deleted User]Signex
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    DMKano said:
    BDO is successful.

However it's not a sandbox.

- Pre-set classes (no freedom to build your own class)
    - Pre-set skills (can't build your own skills)
    - Pre-set gear (end game everyone uses 100% same best-in-slot gear) - so zero freedom of crafting unique gear with unique stats
    - Static world - player can't build or create their own world
    - Static questing - players can't make their own quests 
    - Crafting systems are all on rails - linear progression
    - Mobs spawn in groups in designated level ranges - for easy leveling progression

What exactly is sandbox about BDO? 

Hmm?

If you call BDO a sandbox - might as well call every MMO a sandbox.

This is a sandbox too.

[Deleted User]MadFrenchiePhry
  • khelbonkhelbon Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I tried this game a while back and it simply was not my cup of tea and I got it for free.  I see this game maybe doing well as a port to PS$ and XBox1 though I could be wrong.  Maybe would draw in more players.   
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    DMKano said:
    BDO is successful.

However it's not a sandbox.

- Pre-set classes (no freedom to build your own class)
    - Pre-set skills (can't build your own skills)
    - Pre-set gear (end game everyone uses 100% same best-in-slot gear) - so zero freedom of crafting unique gear with unique stats
    - Static world - player can't build or create their own world
    - Static questing - players can't make their own quests 
    - Crafting systems are all on rails - linear progression
    - Mobs spawn in groups in designated level ranges - for easy leveling progression

What exactly is sandbox about BDO? 

Hmm?

If you call BDO a sandbox - might as well call every MMO a sandbox.
    Sandbox MMORPG to me would mean a game where there are no gender locked classes, you can switch at anytime and unlock any profession. Also the game world should allow house placement and allow users to create their own bases and cities (world building).
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403
    BDO has around 80k active players at any one time, spiking when I new class or big update is introduced, I still play BDO on and off inbetween Path of Exile leagues.

The thing which I absolutely hate about BDO is the upgrading weapons through fail stacks system, it's a total clusterf**k and always has been.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Mikeha said:
    Black Desert is the most successful sandbox mmorpg ever? :o
    What's your REAL attraction ?  

Could it be you have a $1,000 invested and you have to like it ?
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I think BDO was pretty good. When I played it, it was at the same time as Elder Scrolls Online and Blade and Soul. I thought BDO was the better of the 3. I just didn't get into it because I didn't want to commit to a game.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Not surprising, its a great game with lots of depth and some innovative mechanics, as well as stunning graphics/animations.
  • Rain_DeathravenRain_Deathraven Member UncommonPosts: 87
    This only demonstrate how desperate we are for a new decent mmo.
  • Rain_DeathravenRain_Deathraven Member UncommonPosts: 87
    YashaX said:
    Not surprising, its a great game with lots of depth and some innovative mechanics, as well as stunning graphics/animations.
    Stunning Graphics ...only if you are not moving.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    YashaX said:

Worked fine for me, haters gonna hate.
  • yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 240
    The greatest gift BDO got given was the lack of AAA titles that followed it. A whole horde of players are waiting for the 'next big thing' and lolopping around in BDO while they wait *shrug*.

The greatest gift BDO gave itself was that world. Beautiful.

The rest of BDO what you find at the bottom of Tiddles sandbox.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Gratz
      I've tried a couple of times and just can't get into it.  Good for everyone who got it there.

I self identify as a monkey.

Kind of interesting for me.  The only ftp is Path of Exile.  The rest are pretty expensive.  Wonder if there is a correlation of some sort with respirces and '''gold" status.

While intuitive, I can't count the number of times ppl have said that expensive MMOs are dead and the wave of the future is not THAT.

BDO, ESO, are the only more or less traditional stly MMO and they are definitely in the big budget category.

mgilbrtsn said:
    Gratz
      I've tried a couple of times and just can't get into it.  Good for everyone who got it there.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    YashaX said:
    The game is fairly resource intensive, so on a low end PC you might very well be able to play WOW okay, but will struggle with framerates in BDO. I am using a Nvidia gtx 980ti and i have to say the animations are fluid and spectacular, its a game that really benefits from having a decent GPU  ;)
    YashaX
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Gratz
    A good quote from a poster on steam, that seems to be sticking. 

<quote>
    Honestly? Run.
    Somebody said this game is a mile wide and an inch deep, never saw a better more accurate description of BDO.
  • rena_ryugurena_ryugu Member UncommonPosts: 34
    "Give it a month" they said xd
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    "Give it a month" they said xd
    Give it a year. :)