Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recent SotA Steam #'s - It ain't pretty.

1235»

Comments

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 35,162
    edited May 2018
    Aragon100 said:
    skadad said:
    Where are these huge amount of hardcore pvp players ( griefers ) that people mention now and then? Would not the pvp games be more succesful  ( mmorpgs, not mobas not BR )?
    Since there are no MMO games like old UO today (pre Age of Shadows) many of them play survival games like PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS.

    http://steamcharts.com/app/578080

    Compared with today SotA -

    http://steamcharts.com/app/326160

    Games like Darkfall and Mortal Online were basically griefer games (no alignment system) where old UO Felucca was a consensual PvP game with a very well working alignment system. It was only the battle ready player's that fought it out in Felucca after the safe mirror world Trammel entered the game.

    PvP player's that want a game that contain risk vs reward, consequences, player skill demanding combat system and full loot are not griefers they are hardcore PvP players.
    Bad examples, PUBG and MOBAs have no risk, no reward, just mindless killing games for those who cry foul when game play isn't "fair."

    Man up boyos, get out there and play EVE, Life is Feudal, Worlds Adrift, Albion Online, ArchAge, SotA or hell, even Bless.

    But don't sit there bemoaning the fact theres nothing to play because of all of the silly reasons players who claim to want this sort of game play.

    If I can suck it up and survive, so can you.

    ;)


    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,310
    It's kinda strange.  A lot of ppl say that steam reviews can't be believed when they are good, but when bad, they are gospel.  Hopefully ppl are looking at a variety of sources.
    Aragon100VladamirBegemotKyleran

    Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    edited May 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Aragon100 said:
    skadad said:
    Where are these huge amount of hardcore pvp players ( griefers ) that people mention now and then? Would not the pvp games be more succesful  ( mmorpgs, not mobas not BR )?
    Since there are no MMO games like old UO today (pre Age of Shadows) many of them play survival games like PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS.

    http://steamcharts.com/app/578080

    Compared with today SotA -

    http://steamcharts.com/app/326160

    Games like Darkfall and Mortal Online were basically griefer games (no alignment system) where old UO Felucca was a consensual PvP game with a very well working alignment system. It was only the battle ready player's that fought it out in Felucca after the safe mirror world Trammel entered the game.

    PvP player's that want a game that contain risk vs reward, consequences, player skill demanding combat system and full loot are not griefers they are hardcore PvP players.
    Bad examples, PUBG and MOBAs have no risk, no reward, just mindless killing games for those who cry foul when game play isn't "fair."

    Man up boyos, get out there and play EVE, Life is Feudal, Worlds Adrift, Albion Online, ArchAge, SotA or hell, even Bless.

    But don't sit there bemoaning the fact theres nothing to play because of all of the silly reasons players who claim to want this sort of game play.

    If I can suck it up and survive, so can you.

    ;)


    I agree that these survivor game isnt similar to pre AoS Ultima Online but i disagree there isnt similarities to hardcore PvP.

    All of the players that enjoy games like PUBG wont play a MMO with settings like pre AoS Ultima Online had but since so many seem to enjoy hardcore PvP with risk vs reward and full loot i can safely claim there is a market for such a MMO game with consensual PvP.

    Since there havent been one MMO game after pre Aos (feb 2003) Ultima Online with similar game settings it is hard to say how a market for such a game would turn out.

    I am sure it would turn out better then today Shroud of the Avatar though -

    http://steamcharts.com/app/326160

    And as said earlier - games like Darkfall and Mortal Online is not comparable with pre AoS Ultima Online. Actually there have been no MMO games that is comparable with pre AoS UO:s risk vs reward, consequenses, player skill demanding combat system, a working alignment system and full loot.

    Claiming we that enjoy hardcore PvP should settle with today market of MMO games that in no way fulfill our wishes is laughable at best.

    Risk vs reward, consequenses, player skill demanding combat system, a working alignment system and full loot cant be found in the games you proposed.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 35,162
    Aragon100 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Aragon100 said:
    skadad said:
    Where are these huge amount of hardcore pvp players ( griefers ) that people mention now and then? Would not the pvp games be more succesful  ( mmorpgs, not mobas not BR )?
    Since there are no MMO games like old UO today (pre Age of Shadows) many of them play survival games like PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS.

    http://steamcharts.com/app/578080

    Compared with today SotA -

    http://steamcharts.com/app/326160

    Games like Darkfall and Mortal Online were basically griefer games (no alignment system) where old UO Felucca was a consensual PvP game with a very well working alignment system. It was only the battle ready player's that fought it out in Felucca after the safe mirror world Trammel entered the game.

    PvP player's that want a game that contain risk vs reward, consequences, player skill demanding combat system and full loot are not griefers they are hardcore PvP players.
    Bad examples, PUBG and MOBAs have no risk, no reward, just mindless killing games for those who cry foul when game play isn't "fair."

    Man up boyos, get out there and play EVE, Life is Feudal, Worlds Adrift, Albion Online, ArchAge, SotA or hell, even Bless.

    But don't sit there bemoaning the fact theres nothing to play because of all of the silly reasons players who claim to want this sort of game play.

    If I can suck it up and survive, so can you.

    ;)


    I agree that these survivor game isnt similar to pre AoS Ultima Online but i disagree there isnt similarities to hardcore PvP.

    All of the players that enjoy games like PUBG wont play a MMO with settings like pre AoS Ultima Online had but since so many seem to enjoy hardcore PvP with risk vs reward and full loot i can safely claim there is a market for such a MMO game with consensual PvP.

    Since there havent been one MMO game after pre Aos (feb 2003) Ultima Online with similar game settings it is hard to say how a market for such a game would turn out.

    As said earlier - games like Darkfall and Mortal Online is not comparable with pre AoS UO.

    Claiming we that enjoy hardcore PvP should settle with today market MMO games that in no way fulfill our wishes is laughable at best.
    Whats laugable is expecting devs to create a new MMORPG for an audience that was last seen back in the 90s.

    Today's games do fulfill some of your wishes, quit waiting for one that satisfies them all, it is never going to happen.

    I should know, I've been waiting for DAOC 2 since 2003 and a ground based version of EVE since 2013, those aren't anywhere on the horizon either.

    Support whats available, even if its on a freeshard (thats where I get my DAOC fix) 

    Or play a survival game or BR, seems every game maker is going to have one.

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Kyleran said:
    Aragon100 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Aragon100 said:
    skadad said:
    Where are these huge amount of hardcore pvp players ( griefers ) that people mention now and then? Would not the pvp games be more succesful  ( mmorpgs, not mobas not BR )?
    Since there are no MMO games like old UO today (pre Age of Shadows) many of them play survival games like PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS.

    http://steamcharts.com/app/578080

    Compared with today SotA -

    http://steamcharts.com/app/326160

    Games like Darkfall and Mortal Online were basically griefer games (no alignment system) where old UO Felucca was a consensual PvP game with a very well working alignment system. It was only the battle ready player's that fought it out in Felucca after the safe mirror world Trammel entered the game.

    PvP player's that want a game that contain risk vs reward, consequences, player skill demanding combat system and full loot are not griefers they are hardcore PvP players.
    Bad examples, PUBG and MOBAs have no risk, no reward, just mindless killing games for those who cry foul when game play isn't "fair."

    Man up boyos, get out there and play EVE, Life is Feudal, Worlds Adrift, Albion Online, ArchAge, SotA or hell, even Bless.

    But don't sit there bemoaning the fact theres nothing to play because of all of the silly reasons players who claim to want this sort of game play.

    If I can suck it up and survive, so can you.

    ;)


    I agree that these survivor game isnt similar to pre AoS Ultima Online but i disagree there isnt similarities to hardcore PvP.

    All of the players that enjoy games like PUBG wont play a MMO with settings like pre AoS Ultima Online had but since so many seem to enjoy hardcore PvP with risk vs reward and full loot i can safely claim there is a market for such a MMO game with consensual PvP.

    Since there havent been one MMO game after pre Aos (feb 2003) Ultima Online with similar game settings it is hard to say how a market for such a game would turn out.

    As said earlier - games like Darkfall and Mortal Online is not comparable with pre AoS UO.

    Claiming we that enjoy hardcore PvP should settle with today market MMO games that in no way fulfill our wishes is laughable at best.
    Whats laugable is expecting devs to create a new MMORPG for an audience that was last seen back in the 90s.

    Today's games do fulfill some of your wishes, quit waiting for one that satisfies them all, it is never going to happen.

    I should know, I've been waiting for DAOC 2 since 2003 and a ground based version of EVE since 2013, those aren't anywhere on the horizon either.

    Support whats available, even if its on a freeshard (thats where I get my DAOC fix) 

    Or play a survival game or BR, seems every game maker is going to have one.
    If there is a market then i expect a game to be made.

    I am not sitting arround waiting for just that game i merely disagree with you that there is not a market for such a game.

    I dont see a MMO game with Risk vs reward, consequenses, player skill demanding combat system, a working alignment system, consensual PvP and full loot as a MMO game without a market and a game that never to be made again.

    Private UO freeshards have been what i and my guild played for almost +10 years and games like Darkfall and Mortal Online (bad hardcore PvP versions).

    We also tried out many of the MMO games that came after UO died feb 2003.

    Playing MMO games that is so far from the one you learned to enjoy get to be boring really fast. Heck i even played WoW for a year and later on some WoW freeshards. Was fun for a while but lacked many of the features me and my friends in UO enjoyed.










  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,501
    My big concern for SotA and Bless is what does this say to gamers? Don't trust western indie or anything AA that comes from the far east. Not been a good year for establishing trust and confidence in the MMO genre so far.
    Kyleran

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • KhegobierKhegobier Member UncommonPosts: 54
    My only question is why the heck people were expecting the next Ultima Online when it was clearly being billed as a spiritual successor to the Ultima series?  Basically a new take on the Avatar, ignoring the abomination that was Ultima 9 and carrying on the theme - mind you I said theme, not story - in Ultima tradition.

    The game was never, ever supposed to be a MMO ffs, as evident by the Single Player mode.  But they caved to the wants of players and ended up getting lost along the way between trying to write a chapter based story and giving people the MMO gameplay they were complaining about.  They would have been better off to make it a group-based multiplayer game.

    For what it is, SotA was a glimpse of some great story telling, a Garriott hallmark, and brought back some memories of great titles like Ultima 7.  But it failed at making me want to play it as a traditional MMO, and it feels definitely like what could have been a great story got back-burnered for those people that consistently whine about needing other people to kill in a game.

    I'm glad they're still working on content, even if the polish is missing.  I couldn't care less about whether they improve the multiplayer experience as long as they keep making progress on the game.
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    edited May 2018
    Khegobier said:
    My only question is why the heck people were expecting the next Ultima Online when it was clearly being billed as a spiritual successor to the Ultima series?  Basically a new take on the Avatar, ignoring the abomination that was Ultima 9 and carrying on the theme - mind you I said theme, not story - in Ultima tradition.

    The game was never, ever supposed to be a MMO ffs, as evident by the Single Player mode.  But they caved to the wants of players and ended up getting lost along the way between trying to write a chapter based story and giving people the MMO gameplay they were complaining about.  They would have been better off to make it a group-based multiplayer game.

    For what it is, SotA was a glimpse of some great story telling, a Garriott hallmark, and brought back some memories of great titles like Ultima 7.  But it failed at making me want to play it as a traditional MMO, and it feels definitely like what could have been a great story got back-burnered for those people that consistently whine about needing other people to kill in a game.

    I'm glad they're still working on content, even if the polish is missing.  I couldn't care less about whether they improve the multiplayer experience as long as they keep making progress on the game.
    It was billed as a spiritual successor to Ultima Online and Ultima. It was ment to be a different kind of MMO from the beginning - a single player game and a MMO.

    People that claim it was only ment to be a spiritual successor to Ultima single player games are wrong. Richard Garriott draw many old UO PvP players to pledge that way.

    Developer's said they would use a slider which you could set to the playstyle you yourself preferred. A PvP system similar to old UO consensual PvP were not mentioned as an option but was not excluded either during and after kickstarter, it was just not settled. How the future PvP system was to be were discussed by me and many other's for many month's. A majority of the PvP player's wanted to be able to play a game similar to that old felucca Ultima Online game with full loot. Polls in the matter indicated just that but was ignored by developers.

    The PvP, death and combat system were decided far later in the development.

    Today have all old UO PvP player's left the game and just about only the whales are left playing the game. It is important to know your community and it's desires and live up to the promise you made that you are listening to them.


    Post edited by Aragon100 on
    Kyleran
  • VladamirBegemotVladamirBegemot Member UncommonPosts: 100
    The games good and constantly getting better. 

    Just happened yesterday, another 30 pages of updates (name one other game that does that every month.)

    2 new scenes, 1 rework.

    17 new recipes.

    Bludgeon and Taming improvements.

    New NPCs.

    Tons of polish.

    Better framerate.

    Craftable home.

    Companions upgraded in single and multiplayer.

    Bags in bags.

    FOV slider.

    More emotes.

    More quests.

    More loot.

    Here, check it out yourself.

    Learning curve is still pretty high, a lot of people don't make it past being new. FPS is better as of this release than it was, but it's not buttery smooth 60FPS yet. If you don't get involved with others, it's easy to feel alone. Which you will be, because you chose to stay alone.

    There are legitimate gripes, but not a lot But once you're in there is a huge amount of possibilities, and it may become the game you play almost exclusively. It's got combat, puzzles, community, crafting like crazy, events, games we've made up, empire building, playing house, building superstructures out of blocks, being in a band, whatever you want really.

    As long as they stay in business and keep delivering like this, they will succeed and build a strong community and playerbase. 

    At some point the MMO community will realize this is the game we've all been asking for for ages, and it was just hard to recognize, particularly with the misinformation and difficult learning curve.

    You can listen to the nay-sayers all day long and stay away for a year or two, but eventually you'll get in and be hooked, and then won't know why you waited so long in the first place.

    And that's fine, the world is big and has room. You'll still be able to work your way up to whatever idea of "This is what I've always wanted to do" you're harboring.
    MightyUnclean
  • rune_74rune_74 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Bull, game still sucks...

    People are still arguing that this was supposed to be like UO?  It said some of the social aspects in the kickstarter....it also said it would not be an MMO....but alas we have this turd now.
Sign In or Register to comment.