Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert makes STEAM's Gold Top Sellers List of 2018 and has 1.4 Million Players!

Comments

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    I would hope so since it had a 5 dollar price tag.
    TokkenKajidourdenScotjimmywolfNepheth[Deleted User]delete5230
    I like to complain about games.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    So what's the final verdict on BDO? People seem all over the place on it
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Final verdict:  grindfest

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Is there really a mmo that your not grinding in some way? At least i find the grind somewhat enjoyable.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    It's 5 bucks, see how many people stick around :)

Once the shit PvP and horrific AoE mindless mob grind that are PvE become more apparent.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited July 2018
    Updated OP with STEAM numbers!

This does not even count the people that play directly though Kakao in NA and also other places where Black Desert is being serviced like  Russia, China, Japan, Korea and South American countries like Brazil. 
    Black Desert is the most successful sandbox mmorpg ever? :o
    ZenJellyKyleran
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    BDO price drops allow such, the game would literally be F2P they just use the 5$ promos to keep it more attractive as one B2P MMO.
    MaxBacon said:
    BDO price drops allow such, the game would literally be F2P they just use the 5$ promos to keep it more attractive as one B2P MMO.

Then all cheap games should be on the list. All Free To Play games should be there also with Path Of Exile. ;)
    edited July 2018
    Mikeha said:
    Then all cheap games should be on the list. All Free To Play games should be there also with Path Of Exile. ;)
    Nah BDO falls more attractive because of its visually high quality, so when they see the half price discounts it's a marketing strategy to give the perception of value to attract players that wouldn't really be interested if it was F2P (that these days causes a negative perception on the title). BDO other larger marketing strategy it's also related to it having to have a price, the friend "7 day trial" code invites.
    delete5230Waan
    MaxBacon said:
    Mikeha said:
    Nah BDO falls more attractive because of its visually high quality, so when they see the half price discounts it's a marketing strategy to give the perception of value to attract players that wouldn't really be interested if it was F2P (that these days causes a negative perception on the title).

Everybody has an opinion. 

Path Of Exile is on the list because its Free and not because its a good game. :*

ZenJelly
    edited July 2018
    Something just hit me. 

Has there ever been a startup company that made their first mmorpg and it became successful the way Black Desert has? 

Added Pearl Abyss's Introduction video so people can see how amazing this story really is. 

edited July 2018
    Mikeha said:
    Path Of Exile is on the list because its Free and not because its a good game. :*
    For what I know Path Of Exile is one of the MMO's on steam with the highest ratings, it's not new but an F2P with very high reviews is a rare sight so attractive by default, BDO on the instance might have 1.4million owners but it averages around 15k, so it's always a fraction of its totals.
    edited July 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    Mikeha said:
    For what I know Path Of Exile is one of the MMO's on steam with the highest ratings, it's not new but an F2P with very high reviews is a rare sight so attractive by default, BDO on the instance might have 1.4million owners but it averages around 15k, so it's always a fraction of its totals.
    Cool,

The only thing that matters is that these games made the list. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Mikeha said:
    Something just hit me. 

Has there ever been a startup company that made their first mmorpg and it became successful the way Black Desert has? 

Added Pearl Abyss's Introduction video so people can see how amazing this story really is. 

Watch out for those boobs, they will have your eye out. ;)
    MikehaGobstopper3Ddelete5230
    edited July 2018
    Mikeha said:
    Cool,

The only thing that matters is that these games made the list. 
    Not at all, BDO sells but what matters is the player pops, and just considering BDO a top-seller through 2018 it does speak by itself that its player population averages do not grow, so that to me means that they are pretty much loosing as much active player base as the new players that join the game, resulting in its statistics. It can sell, but it doesn't retain players well.

Unless you have a better explanation as to why it sells so much on Steam yet it doesn't grow its player averages?
    Mikeha
    Also Xbox One / PS4 version coming soon. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I was given a free trial invite. I played for about a day.....wasn't really my cup of tea. I don't really have anything bad to say, but nothing great either. It just didn't capture my interest. 

Maybe if I stuck it out? I will say, I have been pleasantly surprised on a few occasions by how some games develop over time. But most are shallow through and through. And BDO appears to be shallow to me at least initially.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    All of the above and its still a crap game.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

I was given a free trial invite. I played for about a day.....wasn't really my cup of tea. I don't really have anything bad to say, but nothing great either. It just didn't capture my interest. 

Maybe if I stuck it out? I will say, I have been pleasantly surprised on a few occasions by how some games develop over time. But most are shallow through and through. And BDO appears to be shallow to me at least initially.

I have played for a few months but the hollowness and mindless grind of its PvE got the better of me eventually and I moved on, BDO is technically and visually impressive, but it does not improve its PvE content that is something that really hoped the MMO would mature on.
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    well love it or hate it it still made more money then will see in life so? truthfully i find it amusing since i heard day 1 it would fail.

their still adding content an still getting people to least try the game, regardless all it will take if for them is to keep changing the game just enough  over time and that 15k current players can jump up to 1 million + since they already bought the game  which can cycle in more players.

i quit while back to many  grind can lose items trying upgrade them + force pvp was not my thing but i love the world an the overall presentation of things, it was well made. if someone copies them and focus more on pve an less on trying milk with bad grinds while forcing pvp i would promote them an play it day 1 till then this is not a bad option at $5. 

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    Mikeha said:
    Black Desert is the most successful sandbox mmorpg ever? :o
    Mikeha said:
    most successful sandbox mmorpg
    Mikeha said:
    sandbox mmorpg
    Mikeha said:
    sandbox
    some-clueless-guyMadFrenchieWaan
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    MMO's live off player churn. At any one point in time about 8% of an MMOs player base will be playing it, they set up their servers to handle concurrencies of about 15-20% (hence why launch days are always a disaster).   MMO retention rates are around 10-12% so BDOs numbers roughly fit in with this.

Most mmos plan for and finance for their player base churning over at this rate, most also understand that player concurrency is an case of Deep troughs and high peaks and as such while they might have 1.4 million register.

So it is a successful MMO and one that will hopefully stick around for its players for a while, it wasnt my cup of tea when I tried it, though I keep meaning to go back to it at some point.

Congrats to them for doing well and proving there is still life in the MMO genre yet.
    Mikeha
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited July 2018
    So what's the final verdict on BDO? People seem all over the place on it
    Like many MMOs out there, some like, some loath it, some play it out of boredom and a lack of better options.

Just another title in the very long list of games I am surprised people enjoy, but clearly they do.

But then some folks think its a sandbox style game, so clearly that crowds judgement can be called into question. 

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited July 2018
    jimmywolf said:
     truthfully i find it amusing since i heard day 1 it would fail.

I remember it like it was yesterday and today you can clearly see the salt. :D