Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full Gameplay Demo Replay of 'E3 Best Action Game Winner' - Anthem Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited July 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageFull Gameplay Demo Replay of 'E3 Best Action Game Winner' - Anthem Videos - MMORPG.com

EA and BioWare have released the 20 minute gameplay demo for Anthem that was shown at E3 2018 in early June. The video features Lead Producer Ben Irving narrating the action that was shown during the E3 showcase. "Discover more about the transversal, combat, and teamwork on display as a team of four Freelancers complete the mission "Scars & Villainy".

Read the full story here

Comments

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 802
    Looking tight. Can't wait to play.
    xxBoneZxx
    I like to complain about games.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Is this game Open World? I thought it was but it looks pathy/on-rails as hell.

Also what made them stop at 4 suits? Why not 6-8 or more. I feel like they should have studied Warframes latest major update and took notes (maybe they read the Cliffs Notes).

Need more input.

MadFrenchie
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    edited July 2018
    I want a gameplay demo of something that isn't being played like someone who has never played a game in their entire lives. I understand wanting to show off the scenery, but cmon, the reticle is constantly in the sky, and they can't hit anything to save their lives. I really want to play the game though, and it does look really nice.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited July 2018

Also what made them stop at 4 suits? Why not 6-8 or more. I feel like they should have studied Warframes latest major update and took notes (maybe they read the Cliffs Notes).

Need more input.

looking at all the videos they've shown i get the impression that it is full of invisible walls that lead you through tunnel like paths with open background visuals to make it look open world.

I could be wrong, but i can't shake that thought out of my head. The linear corridors look almost painfully obvious. Usually when showing open world or open areas devs like to more around to show how much of the map can be explored. This is not the case.
    mazutMidPrincessAlomarJeroKaneSolancer

• MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    I have to admit I am rather un-excited about the fact that you seemingly MUST have 3 other real people with you to head out on adventures, etc. I believe they claim you "can" go out solo but that is clearly not encouraged. So, if I buy Anthem and nobody on my friend list does, what then? Why they didn't include at least an option to utilize NPC party members is beyond me. Stupid decision, IMO. I like group content as much as anyone but not when it's forced upon me or required in order for me to progress. I used to look forward to this game but not any more.
    [Deleted User]infomatz
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Looks like a cross between titanfall and destiny, not particularly innovative but looks fun.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Iv made the decision to no longer support or buy anything by EA
    jmcdermottukwormedTacticalZombeh
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited July 2018
    looking at all the videos they've shown i get the impression that it is full of invisible walls that lead you through tunnel like paths with open background visuals to make it look open world.

I could be wrong, but i can't shake that thought out of my head. The linear corridors look almost painfully obvious. Usually when showing open world or open areas devs like to more around to show how much of the map can be explored. This is not the case.
    It doesn't feel open world yes, more make-believe, perhaps like Destiny 2 with the maps, and things happening on them.

When I look Anthem I look at Warframe type of play, that seems to be what they're going after, direct competition most likely.

If Anthem was open-world surely they would have used that to market the game, open-world with that quality would surely be a strong element for the game.
    mazutRain_Deathraven
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    I wasn't going to purchase Anthem to begin with since it really isn't my type of game to begin with. But, if I were i interested I would still be on the fence about buying it because I have yet to see anything that particularly stands out and grabs my attention other than the next gen graphics.  And to be honest Bioware has sadly gone the way of other developers such as Ubisoft and Bethesda that I no longer  consider for an instant day one buy. I just wait for that $20 game sale over on Steam. However long that it may take.  
    Solancer
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I have problems getting excited about the mmo-ish looter shooters like destiny, division and now anthem. The game areas are linear, combat looks kinda static and the game setting feels for lack of better words.....boring.

Guess I will stick to the singleplayer PvE shooters instead.

mazutjdnewell
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    It is just.. so much like Destiny. It's shameful that a once innovative company have resorted to copying the latest trends. They used to set the trends.
    Solancer
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771
    Take my money!
    xxBoneZxxZenJelly
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

Need more input.

You could've said "all you people are monkeys and I'm your overlord," and you would've gotten an Awesome from me for the Johnny 5 gif.
    TacticalZombeh

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I think it looks way better than destiny. Though I'm sick of scripted "live" gameplay.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    It's looking a bit bullet spongey to me and I hate bullet sponges. It's one of the things that pissed me off with The Division. It's not giving me the warm and fuzzies at all. Shame really, it looks fantastic visually.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    This won best action game? I'm sorry, but the best action game of E3 2018 can only be Devil May Cry 5.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Looks great. Hopefully, it can replace both Diablo3 and Warframe as a PvE shooter.

Thank you for your time!

What do people mean when they say bullet spongey? When they play other MMORPGs and are fighting a dungeon boss do they say " this is spell / sword spongey”?. It makes no sense to me. Do they want to kill things in 4 or 5 hits just because it is guns or something?
    NyteWytchxxBoneZxxSolancer
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    SlyLoK said:
    What do people mean when they say bullet spongey? When they play other MMORPGs and are fighting a dungeon boss do they say " this is spell / sword spongey”?. It makes no sense to me. Do they want to kill things in 4 or 5 hits just because it is guns or something?
    Yeah that's exactly right, because guns kill things with a few hits, or even one hit. Obviously they won't go that far in a game but I do object to pumping clip after clip into something or someone to make a dent in their HP. Hence, "bullet spongey".

We even saw a boss take several grenade barrages and it had a negligible effect. That's a pretty god damned big bullet sponge in my book.

Fantasy based games get away with it because, you know, magic. It's not real. Guns are real, the damage they inflict is real. It's harder to explain away the lack of damage when you give players guns. The suspension of disbelief is essential to immersion. That gives gun based games less wiggle room because we're familiar with guns and the damage they can do.

Some people are fine with it but I've never been a fan of that level of unrealistic gun performance.
    SlyLoK said:
    Yeah that's exactly right, because guns kill things with a few hits, or even one hit. Obviously they won't go that far in a game but I do object to pumping clip after clip into something or someone to make a dent in their HP. Hence, "bullet spongey".

We even saw a boss take several grenade barrages and it had a negligible effect. That's a pretty god damned big bullet sponge in my book.

Fantasy based games get away with it because, you know, magic. It's not real. Guns are real, the damage they inflict is real. It's harder to explain away the lack of damage when you give players guns. The suspension of disbelief is essential to immersion. That gives gun based games less wiggle room because we're familiar with guns and the damage they can do.

Some people are fine with it but I've never been a fan of that level of unrealistic gun performance.
    Ok. Fair enough. Just let me know the next time you see a spider like monster the size of the one in the video. Then check to see if grenades do anything to it or not.

Or is that not real either?
    xxBoneZxxSolancer
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited July 2018
    ZZZZZZZZZZ ... oh, we're killing stuff, wait it's already dead ... ZZZZZZZZZZ ... collect the things for the thing, gotcha; cue explosions. all done, no, that wasn't the end? ok ... ZZZZZZZZ ... skip ahead, won't argue (how boring was that footage?) ... ZZZZ ... oh hey, boss fight, cool, oh wait, it's a bullet-sponge+++ and all the abilities that just 1-shot everything else are now acting like pea-shooters... ZZZZZZ
    Aeander said:
    This won best action game? I'm sorry, but the best action game of E3 2018 can only be Devil May Cry 5.
    Wait, there's action in Anthem? And here I was mistaking it for a mech-suit flight simulator.

In all seriousness though, if they want Anthem to last more than a month (and that's IF it has a great story), they need to significantly increase the action / shooting to slowing flying around ratio (and do a massive rebalance of enemy HP and damage) ... these games are built on repetition, and I can tell them right now, that is not a mission I would want to do more than once (if at all).
    Solancer
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Its easy to win "best" in a category if your competition is meh....
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited July 2018
    This was more like a mission demo not full game play demo. Inventory? Skill trees? Crafting? Classes? A map? I don't think the character even reloaded during the mission. I hope there's a decent story as they spent about 10 seconds at the beginning talking about the mission. No appreciative overviews, just a look at a combat segment with a world boss that looked like it would take forever to kill despite the weapons sounding like nuclear detonations. Hopefully they will get into more details later.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• rkiprkip Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Sooooo, Warframe is good, eh?
    LackingMMOMidPrincess
  • genova2809genova2809 Member UncommonPosts: 47

Need more input.

blaming a game content when game is not released nice :D