Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another “Lore” post about a made up holiday and another matching “sale”...

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
edited June 2018 in Chronicles of Elyria
Honestly it’s now reaching embarrassing levels...it’s literally 2 weeks since the last “sale” ended.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/26455/its-sedecim-time

They even turned farming into Pay for Advantage...   unbelievable.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

MendelRhomsWellspring

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    I guess you won't be buying the minstrels gear and singing the praises of the game then? :)

Just saying in another thread, every dodgy money raising practice from every Indie MMO seems to end up in all the others, so I assume as I don't really follow these things, that they all have them or all will.

But yes, fund raising in indie it has been ridiculous for some years now and will only get more so.
    ZenJelly
  • OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Woo, that was fast.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I think this may qualify for my laugh of the day.  Lots more systems hinted at, with items being sold without any details about how these systems will work.  More systems, more workload for the developers.  People are going to want to use those seeds, even if they don't germinate.

How about one very simple detail about the crafting/harvesting system -- how long will it take from planting (including land preparation) to maturity to harvesting in game terms?  Convert that answer to RW time, please.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2018
    Honestly it’s now reaching embarrassing levels...it’s literally 2 weeks since the last “sale” ended.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/26455/its-sedecim-time

They even turned farming into Pay for Advantage...   unbelievable.
    The fact that they say it only happens "every 16 years" is a great way to sell things then not have to actually create any more festival content for it once the game releases, ha! (EDIT- but it does say in-game time, what's the conversion?)

"No guys, not this year!  We've got another 8 years before that festival rolls back around!"

Otherwise, it's pretty par for the crowd funding course for the game.  Has there been any progress on getting players into a client to actually play?

Mendel said:
    I think this may qualify for my laugh of the day.  Lots more systems hinted at, with items being sold without any details about how these systems will work.  More systems, more workload for the developers.  People are going to want to use those seeds, even if they don't germinate.

How about one very simple detail about the crafting/harvesting system -- how long will it take from planting (including land preparation) to maturity to harvesting in game terms?  Convert that answer to RW time, please.

Isn't this the title where you're character's lifespan is considering to be average around a year?  If so, then that makes the festival very common (assuming, say, a 50 year lifespan) in-game (and not a once in a blue moon thing, like I originally thought).

If we also assume you'll be harvesting certain crops once per year, that's 4 harvests per month.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    "
    • Resources purchased in exposition need to be used in exposition. You can't stockpile seeds purchased during exposition with the intent of using them at launch. Likewise, your livestock will age during expo and likely die before game launch (but you can use exposition to breed them, in all fairness). On the other hand, items you buy in a promotion can be redeemed after the game launches."
    This is an all new P2W low, even for them. They're now selling packages that can be stock piled and redeemed after launch?

I thought they had promised during KS that exposition was the only time they would be having a cash shop in order to "populate the world". 
    --------------------------------------------
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    But hey, look at the bright side! It will be sedecim more years until this silly holiday returns.

But I guess that's like 5 or 6 more before launch? :wink:
    MadFrenchieKyleran
    --------------------------------------------
    But hey, look at the bright side! It will be sedecim more years until this silly holiday returns.

But I guess that's like 5 or 6 more before launch? :wink:
    That's why I was wondering what the time conversion is.  That makes a huge difference if this holiday really will be about arranging treaties and drawing up boundaries.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    "
    • Resources purchased in exposition need to be used in exposition. You can't stockpile seeds purchased during exposition with the intent of using them at launch. Likewise, your livestock will age during expo and likely die before game launch (but you can use exposition to breed them, in all fairness). On the other hand, items you buy in a promotion can be redeemed after the game launches."
    This is an all new P2W low, even for them. They're now selling packages that can be stock piled and redeemed after launch?

I thought they had promised during KS that exposition was the only time they would be having a cash shop in order to "populate the world". 
    You didn't actually believe that Pay To Build garbage did you?

Wellspring

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Sounds like they got advice from the SotA team or something...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited June 2018
    Scot said:
    I guess you won't be buying the minstrels gear and singing the praises of the game then? :)

Just saying in another thread, every dodgy money raising practice from every Indie MMO seems to end up in all the others, so I assume as I don't really follow these things, that they all have them or all will.

But yes, fund raising in indie it has been ridiculous for some years now and will only get more so.
    It would appear the only group in COE capable of really "delivering" on anything is the "lore/merchandising" team.

Everyone else is clearly slacking.

;)
    Slapshot1188ScotWellspring

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    I like how they dedicated an entire page of text to sell virtual pigs.

Seems like they're writing novels over at SbS.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    That is very eye roll worthy.  :D
    Slapshot1188Nilden

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• NeutralEvilNeutralEvil Member UncommonPosts: 108
    To answer the time conversion question. 1 week = 1 Elyrian year
    MadFrenchie
    edited June 2018
    To answer the time conversion question. 1 week = 1 Elyrian year
    Thanks.  So that puts the festival once every 4 months (approximately) and harvesting at roughly 4 a month.

Having read more about the festival, it doesn't seem like it would include a lot of extra PvE content, but that it will fall largely to the players to create the content (weddings, trade agreements, boundary disputes, etc.).  I wonder how well that will work.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    ZenJelly

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited June 2018
    OrangeBoy said:
    I like how they dedicated an entire page of text to sell virtual pigs.

Seems like they're writing novels over at SbS.
    You can buy pigs, or you can buy PRIZE pigs, which are even better (and more expensive)

But hey, not Pay-to-Win, right, guys?

Of course, there's absolutely zero specifics about how hard or easy any of this will be to acquire in-game.  That would require at least some semblance of a game or even just a game document instead of just vague ideas, after all.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Won't be the last "special offer" or "sale" or "promotion" by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't forget, Jeromy Walsh said that CoE's development will be adequately funded as long as backers keep spending at the same rate until the game is done.

The CoE team are just making sure that backers have constant stream of new things to spend on !

Welcome to crowdfunded MMO development... ;)
    Nilden
    Won't be the last "special offer" or "sale" or "promotion" by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't forget, Jeromy Walsh said that CoE's development will be adequately funded as long as backers keep spending at the same rate until the game is done.

The CoE team are just making sure that backers have constant stream of new things to spend on !

Welcome to crowdfunded MMO development... ;)
    Same guy also said:
    But what I can say is we will continue to keep our online store open for residual income, and we’ve already been approached by multiple publishers and investors. We’re in a good place right now financially and have more money than we expected at this point in the development process. We’re also in no rush to make deals, and are instead holding out for the right deal for us — and the right deal for you guys.

And:
    Of the additional $2M – $3M, it’s our intention that all of it be covered by investors, or at least, not players.

So be careful what you believe.
    Wellspring

edited June 2018
    "

Over on their forums, some folks have clearly recognized it.   If I'm not mistaken I think this guy was at one point their moderator:

"The ability to purchase anything be it seed packs or raider ships flies in the face of the stated goal above of pay to build. The persistence of these tokens removes the argument that anything purchased with real world funds would be used to build the world in Exposistion."
    https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/26511/promotion-items?page=3#post292410

What is interesting is that it's not just "low tier" (yes they organize people into tiers based on their donations) but folks that are tier 7, 8 and even higher... meaning hundreds or thousands donated.

Another thing they haven't quite picked up on yet is that these tokens cannot be lost or stolen in game.  It's a shame that the Ivory Tower folks have retreated from external sites (not just this one).  It would be interesting to get their take.  They were pretty strong defenders of "Pay To Build".  
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    If there is a choice between SBS selling stupid shit or stopping development, I think everyone can agree the former is the better option.
    If there is a choice between SBS selling stupid shit or stopping development, I think everyone can agree the former is the better option.
    That line of reasoning would keep food companies that sell foods with dangerous additives in business.  The only thing stopping that from applying to that industry is... Wait for it...  Regulation on how those companies can go about doing business.

That line of reasoning would keep food companies that sell foods with dangerous additives in business.  The only thing stopping that from applying to that industry is... Wait for it...  Regulation on how those companies can go about doing business.
    Talk about conflating completely unrelated issues. Selling virtual stuff vs food that could kill you. Hmm...
    Talk about conflating completely unrelated issues. Selling virtual stuff vs food that could kill you. Hmm...
    Don't be willfully ignorant because you don't like the analogy.

Maybe the alternative, since we know that all the diehard fans are buying things just to support the company... is to simply ask for direct donations with no in-game benefits.  

Wellspring

Maybe the alternative, since we know that all the diehard fans are buying things just to support the company... is to simply ask for direct donations with no in-game benefits.  

That would be perfectly fine I agree. Do they not have a donate button?