Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If there was a Mount Rushmore for MMO Devs ...

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
Ok 4 of the most iconic mmo Devs. I'm going with:

Brad McQuaid
Richard Garriott
Jeff Kaplan
Mark Jacobs

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    What does a designer of handbags and perfume have to do with MMO games?!  :p
    KyleranScotPhrySovrath

What, me worry?

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Gutlard said:
    A fashion designer is just as relevant to current gen gaming as these old farts?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited July 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    care to tell me why I would care to know about the names of the people who made games?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    care to tell me why I would care to know about the names of the people who made games?
    Well, it's like how some people appreciate Master Chefs. You could just nom nom nom until your plate is clean I guess with no care at all for who made your meal or how. But a few of us appreciate the contributions of amazingly creative people. 
    MadFrenchieKyleranScot

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    They should switch it from being MMO devs to game devs and it would have Tim Cain on it four times.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Me, me, me, and....  Me.  Yes, I know I haven't created a single game.  I still have greatness, it's just untapped currently!
    AmatheGeezerGamer[Deleted User]Phaserlight

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    moshra said:
    Gutlard said:
    A fashion designer is just as relevant to current gen gaming as these old farts?

I would say much more so since current gen gaming is so focused on superficial nonsense like playing Barbie dress up, and usually have their whole monetization scheme based on the desire of current gen gamers wanting to play dress up instead of playing the game.  Fashion design is a core foundation of current gen mmos.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited July 2018
    I'm thinking Masada would be more fitting for some of these names. ;)

Personally I'd add Raph Koster to the hall of fame.
    frostymugInteritusPhry

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Amathe said:
    Well, it's like how some people appreciate Master Chefs. You could just nom nom nom until your plate is clean I guess with no care at all for who made your meal or how. But a few of us appreciate the contributions of amazingly creative people. 
    But if Bobby Flay served you a bad steak, you'd send it back, right?

Reputation means nothing definitive.  To a customer, it can indicate that a product might be enjoyable.  To an investor, it can indicate that a project might have a better chance of returning your investment.  The developer's reputation (and your personal experience with products from that developer) can only influence future purchases.  No matter how much they are worshiped, any developer's next game might be trash.  There isn't a guarantee with creativity.

[Deleted User]

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Kyleran said:
    I'm thinking Masada would be more fitting for some of these names. ;)

Personally I'd add Raph Koster to the hall of fame.
    Was just scrolling through the replies to see if Koster was mentioned. Seems he rarely gets the credit he probably should
    KyleranMarcus-Phry
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Mendel said:
    Amathe said:

Reputation means nothing definitive.  To a customer, it can indicate that a product might be enjoyable.  To an investor, it can indicate that a project might have a better chance of returning your investment.  The developer's reputation (and your personal experience with products from that developer) can only influence future purchases.  No matter how much they are worshiped, any developer's next game might be trash.  There isn't a guarantee with creativity.

He did mention Garriott...

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Mendel said:
    Amathe said:

I am trying to imagine what I would have to have said for this to make any sense. Let me give it a try.

Reputation is definitive! It means the same thing to everyone. Worship the developers I list and their future success, the quality of their work, and your personal enjoyment from that work is guaranteed!!!!!

Yep. That's what I meant of course. You got me. 
    Kyleran

Richard Garriott because he started it all with his Ultima series leading to UO.
    Raph Koster because of UO and SWG, and also his good articles and books.
    Rob Pardo and Jeff Kaplan for obvious reasons.

It's a bit unfair to restrict this to only four people, but that'd be my choice then.
    Point of order, Temple of Apshai is generally considered to be the RPG that started it all.

Temple of Apshai is considered one of the first graphical role-playing games for home computers,[1] predating even the commercial release of Richard Garriott's Akalabeth: World of Doom. It was an enormous success for its era, selling 20,000 copies by the end of 1981,[2] and 30,000 copies by 30 June 1982[3]and remaining a best-seller for at least four years.[4]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Apshai

Just saying...

;)
    [Deleted User]Scorchien

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    If you don't keep an eye on games developing like me, who is making them goes right over you head. Whoooooosh, looks like that has happened again. :)
    Kyleran
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    A lot of people seem to miss my point.  That is "past performance is not an indicator of future success".  Employ standards and hold the developers to that level.  Much like you would complain about a bad steak.  And if you're eating your steak before it is delivered, you're just chewing your tongue.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    What no Smedley ?

Okay okay no rocks please tiny stones....tiny ones if you must fling them at me.
    PhryScotcheyane

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    edited July 2018
    I don't think there is enough stone in the world to capture Garriott's big arrogant head.

I don't know him. He could be one of the nicest guys in the world. No idea.
    edited July 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Richard Garriott because he started it all with his Ultima series leading to UO.
    Raph Koster because of UO and SWG, and also his good articles and books.
    Rob Pardo and Jeff Kaplan for obvious reasons.

It's a bit unfair to restrict this to only four people, but that'd be my choice then.
    Point of order, Temple of Apshai is generally considered to be the RPG that started it all.

Temple of Apshai is considered one of the first graphical role-playing games for home computers,[1] predating even the commercial release of Richard Garriott's Akalabeth: World of Doom. It was an enormous success for its era, selling 20,000 copies by the end of 1981,[2] and 30,000 copies by 30 June 1982[3]and remaining a best-seller for at least four years.[4]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Apshai

Just saying...

;)
    Sure, but that's it. After the bundle of 1985/86, that game disappeared. To the opposite, Garriott kept improving his games, adapting graphics and gameplay to the power of computers of its time and improving them, up to leading to Ultima Online.
    Ah...testing both my memory and my amazing Google-foo powers are you Jean-Luc?

How about the original Neverwinter Nights?

The first graphical MMORPG was Neverwinter Nights by designer Don Daglow and programmer Cathryn Mataga (not to be confused with Neverwinter Nights by BioWare). "Neverwinter Nights" went live on AOL for PC owners in 1991 and ran through 1997.

There are successor Neverwinter games active to this day.....

https://www.google.com/search?query=First+graphical+mmorpg&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&hl=en

[Deleted User]

edited July 2018
    In case Neverwinter Nights gets disqualified because it was offered by a pay as you go Online service,  there is also 1995's Meridian 59, which also claims to be the first online MMORPG.  

Perhaps for personal computers and likely one of the first to use a flat rate monthly sub model.

What is interesting is what one of the original developers went on to work on.

It was the first 3D graphical massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) and one of the longest running original online role-playing games.

The development team included John Hanke, who later founded Niantic, Inc. and codeveloped Google Earth and Pokémon Go.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meridian_59

Like you said a few posts earlier,  four names is far too few to properly cover the many legends in the genre.

[Deleted User]

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    edited July 2018
    I don't get it  neither
    Why is John smedley not getting a mention when every documentary and comment from those that made everquest  agree it was his idea
    He also came up with the idea of planetside .
    Ralph Koster for his work on UO and SWG

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I'm not quite sure which industry pioneers I would put up there. However a Mount Rushmore for MMORPG developers is quit fitting seeing as it was grandiose idea that was never fully realized, went over budget, way over production time, and when they finally ran out of money and couldn't finish the sculpture they just said "Tada! There ya go, a magnificent monument to mankind's ability to cock up even the most impressive of tasks."
    Lmao, true enough, it's a completely unfinished monument project led by a narcissistic personality who wanted to make the monument everything under the sun, including a repository for the country's most important documents.  How apropos.
    [Deleted User]

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Jake Song
    Guido Lübke, Stephan Payer, Ulrich Schlott and Stephan Vogler
    Reynir Harðarson, Þórólfur Beck Kristjónsson and Ívar Kristjánsson
    Richard Garriott
    Hiromichi Tanaka 
    Steve Sellers, Mike Sellers, and John Hanke

Good to see that someone had decency to put eve amongst the list :) regardless of peoples thoughts this is still the flag bearer for sandbox, space and single server MMO, even 15 years after dev nothing has come close to dethroning in any of the 3 sectors mentioned lol :) 

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy