Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You all not worried that the FFA will run away the player base in this game after 3 months?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
This seem to be the case for most new aged FFA MMOs on the market. They tend to have a massive population drop with the rampant FFA conflict. I don't see how a game like this will be any different at dealing with that.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I'm AFRAID!
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    They ran me away in advance!

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I already lost interest.   
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    It may not actually be "free for all PvP". I found a few things on their website that look like a system of...I'll call it "pop-up" PvP.

Here's what I found and what it seems to mean.

1) Under "Caravans"
    "These caravans create a static PvP zone around them, allowing players to engage in PvP with the defenders and attempt to destroy the caravans in order to loot the content. These caravans will be integral in city development."

So, PvP in the open world isn't as simple as just "open world".

2) In the FAQ
    "PvP in Ashes of Creation is intended to be both organized and organic. We want to create an atmosphere where PvP is meaningful by utilizing different systems that create fluid PvP events including: Castle Sieges, City defense/assaults, Caravans, and a scenario-based Arena combat. For our open world, we have designed a flagging system that severely deters people from griefing other players. Much more will be explained in great detail, in our upcoming developer blogs."

So Castle Sieges, City Defense, and scenario-based Arenas seem like they'll be the same system as Caravans. A PvP zone centered around the objective.

In the open world they'll have some sort of flagging system. So again, it just doesn't look like wide open PvP like so many don't want. Rampant PKing may be out, if it works.

We need more info, naturally.

Once upon a time....

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Everyone is so excited about this, and we really don't know much other than some of the devs worked on EQ2 lol
  • AngreeegamerAngreeegamer Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Everyone is so excited about this, and we really don't know much other than some of the devs worked on EQ2 lol
    We know a lot if you have the patience to sit through 2-3 hours of livestream footage roughly every month:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Category:Livestreams

That's not even counting the interviews, podcasts, and Discord FAQ/Q&A's.
  • jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
    I'm not worried at all, because this game gives the proverbial "carebears" a way to fight back unlike a lot of other games.

In most games with a global market (global Auction House) where you can hit buy and magically purchased goods from anywhere in the game, in Ashes you are going to have to use caravans to transport everything you want to move.  

You also don't have the magical ass pocket of 10,000 logs where you can go out and harvest all day and then come back and have half the forest in your backpack.  Plus, resources are going to be limited and spread out.

This means if you are Billy Badass who likes to run around killing gatherers, then you better be ready to pick up a hatchet and do all that "carebear shit" on your own because you aren't building up your nodes/castles without those resources and the carebears are going to just move to the other side of the map.  

With no fast travel (with the exception of Scientific Metros) the zerg mentality that ruins a lot of games is going to be gone since if Zergling leader moves everyone to spot X, then they have to take the time to get to spot y.   In this respect its a lot like Eve Online.  If you've played Eve its great going out and spending a few hours flying around looking for (and getting into) fights.  It sucks when you realize that you've gone 50 jumps away from home and you need to log off. 

Right now in a game like Archeage, the fights sorta suck because instantly when a good skirmish happens everyone just ports in.  Not going to happen in Ashes.  No ports.  Archeage also has some great Naval combat, but just when you win a decisive victory and blow up the enemy ship, someone pulls another one out of their ass.  Also not going to happen in Ashes, boats can only be summoned from land.   

Your people are going to want to be based around some fixated point (Note: there will be nomads, and they too will have a place in the world).  Guild leaders aren't going to be able to march their guild an hour across the map on a whim, because they are going to have to remember people will have that hour march home.