Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has Star Citizen been using the Dice Masters fist energy logo from a WizKids game?

rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
edited July 2018 in Star Citizen
Today I watched a Star Citizen video on YouTube and I noticed that the Kastak Arms fist logo was basically identical to something I'm very familiar with, the fist energy icon used in a collectible dice game called Dice Masters. It made me curious so I screenshotted the logo from the SC video and placed the resized fist icon from Dice Masters' pdf rule book over the screenshot.

These two fist logos from these different games are basically identical although the Star Citizen version has some clumsy minor changes added near the knuckles and some outlines are slightly modified too.

I've created a short animated gif that shows WizKids' logo with changing opacity values over the Kastak Arms one.
At 70% transparency you can observe some minor changes showing up as slightly darker lines under the transparent black overlay but I think there's no doubt that both logos are from the same source. (I haven't transformed any of the images apart from resizing and changing opacity.)

Not only the game's been using this fist logo but there is a post on CIG's site showing the same logo while putting emphasis on the fist image itself in its first paragraph here:

Since I'm not a backer and I'm unable to communicate with CIG I kindly advice backers to report this potential problem to CIG.
BabuinixPhaserlight

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Logo available for 2.14 EURO on multiple picture websites. 

Just type "fist logo" into Google, click "pictures"....

Yawn. Another "zero news" news .... 

Have fun
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Betteridge's Law of Headlines says no.

The two logos are about as different as you'd expect if you independently ask two different artists to draw a right hand balled up into a fist from that angle.  The color scheme is totally different, and the top of the hand also looks totally different:  much smoother in the WizKids logo than the Keslak Arms one.  Unless you think WizKids can trademark the human hand, I don't see anything to complain about.
    Babuinix
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Yea, that's a pretty common motif used in a variety of instances and mediums.

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Quizzical said:

The two logos are about as different as you'd expect if you independently ask two different artists to draw a right hand balled up into a fist from that angle.  The color scheme is totally different, and the top of the hand also looks totally different:  much smoother in the WizKids logo than the Keslak Arms one.  Unless you think WizKids can trademark the human hand, I don't see anything to complain about.

The top outline is identical too. The SC version has lines added on top of the knuckles. Those lines break the continuous line the WizKids version has. I'd also question that two artists would draw these fists with matching outlines, matching shapes, matching orientation and matching proportions. The lines between the fingers are pixel perfect too if you look at them in higher resolutions.

Of course the color scheme is different. One is white and the other one is black (or light grey when printed on the hero cards in DM). WizKids' been molding this fist into various cubes with various color schemes too.
    Erillion said:
    Logo available for 2.14 EURO on multiple picture websites. 

Just type "fist logo" into Google, click "pictures"....

Yawn. Another "zero news" news .... 

Have fun
    Could you link the stock image you're refering to? I've done the google search part but I found only images roughly similar but not identical to these.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Quizzical said:

It is literally the same hand... down to the pixel.  The fist itself was not done by two different artists; you'd have to be legally blind to miss it.  Clearly, there is a sourcing issue.  Whether it's a stock image like @Erillion claims or CIG ripped off "Dice Masters" (which I have never heard of until now) as @rertez claims remains to be seen.  I'd tend to believe the former, although this begs the question 'why is CIG scouring stock images with a budget of ~190M'?
    ScotchUp

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Phaserlight said:
    I'd tend to believe the former, although this begs the question 'why is CIG scouring stock images with a budget of ~190M'?
    That's irrelevant, the usage of stock images is pretty standard, a huge time savior big studios actually have licenses to big databases of stock assets that their devs can use; especially for things like concept art where artists might even be required to deliver on the day of a request.

For bigger things obviously full custom art will be the standard, but for things like a sign on a wall, lore stuff, etc... hardly so.
    Phaserlightrertez
  • BalmongBalmong Member UncommonPosts: 170
    We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel if we're claiming a fist is plagiarism. 
    ErillionBabuinix
    edited July 2018
    Balmong said:
    We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel if we're claiming a fist is plagiarism. 
    Well try to use the word "tap" in your card game's rules or use even a slightly modified version of the iconic mana symbols of WotC's Magic the Gathering (sun, waterdrop, skull, flame, tree) to see how these companies act then. Even Star Wars Destiny uses the keywords "exhaust" and "activate" instead of the more commonly used tapping.

So my point was that this fist was basically a resource symbol in a game that's been using hundreds of officially licensed characters and artworks from Marvel, DC Comics, Warhammer 40k, D&D and so on. WizKids hopefully have no copyrights on this particular symbol but it's just better to be sure about it I guess.
    rertez said:
    Balmong said:
    Well try to use the word "tap" in your card game's rules or use even a slightly modified version of the iconic mana symbols of WotC's Magic the Gathering (sun, waterdrop, skull, flame, tree) to see how these companies act then. Even Star Wars Destiny uses the keywords "exhaust" and "activate" instead of the more commonly used tapping.

So my point was that this fist was basically a resource symbol in a game that's been using hundreds of officially licensed characters and artworks from Marvel, DC Comics, Warhammer 40k, D&D and so on. WizKids hopefully have no copyrights on this particular symbol but it's just better to be sure about it I guess.
    It's a generic fist with no identifying markers (i.e. scars or tattoos). There is nothing unique about it, and is probably a stock image itself to save time.  

Seriously, you're grasping here. Did you just run every company logo in the game through image recognition, hoping for a similar hit or something?
    Balmong said:
    rertez said:
    Balmong said:

It's a generic fist with no identifying markers (i.e. scars or tattoos). There is nothing unique about it, and is probably a stock image itself to save time.  

Seriously, you're grasping here. Did you just run every company logo in the game through image recognition, hoping for a similar hit or something?
    No. It was my brain that did the recognition as I said in the post. I see these resource symbols very often. I also rarely watch videos about Star Citizen but sometimes it just happens you know.

Thanks for trying to discredit me like if I was an evil lunatic who tries to stop your perfect space dream at all costs. Jesus...
    rertez said:
    Balmong said:
    rertez said:
    Balmong said:

No. It was my brain that did the recognition as I said in the post. I see these resource symbols very often. I also rarely watch videos about Star Citizen but sometimes it just happens you know.

Thanks for trying to discredit me like if I was an evil lunatic who tries to stop your perfect space dream at all costs. Jesus...
    Close your right fist and look at your knuckles. Congratulations, you just replicated this one of a kind work of art.

Moving on.
    Balmong said:
    rertez said:
    Balmong said:
    rertez said:
    Balmong said:

Close your right fist and look at your knuckles. Congratulations, you just replicated this one of a kind work of art.

Moving on.
    Draw a very simple apple that has a bite on its right side. Congratulations, you just replicated an Apple logo. Now stick it on your products and try to sell them. Good luck!

You know we're living in a world where Microsoft was granted a patent on double-clicking, right.

Moving on.
    ScotchUp