Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heroic Games Shows Off a Brand New Female Costume - Ship of Heroes - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageHeroic Games Shows Off a Brand New Female Costume - Ship of Heroes - MMORPG.com

Ship of Heroes News - The Ship of Heroes site has been updated with a blog post to show off a brand new female costume that was created using the SoH Design Studio. According to the post, the costume will be available for players "to use in creating and customizing their characters".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    This one should become a cover for the book "How not to design female costumes for dummies".
    JeffSpicoliLeilonisarah116F2PlagueDavodtheTuttJeroKane

Thank you for your time!

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This particular outfit is sartorial fail. It doesn't help that the posture is suggestive of an imminent bowel movement. 
    LeilonirojoArcueidXarkoJeffSpicoliLazarus71DavodtheTuttPhryJeroKaneBlaze_Rocker

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Amathe said:

This particular outfit is sartorial fail. It doesn't help that the posture is suggestive of an imminent bowel movement. 

Seriously, though... how *do* they get out of costume/armor so quickly when they have to go? That Ambassadoress likely had burritos that didn't agree.
    Amathe
    Samhael said:

Amathe said:

Seriously, though... how *do* they get out of costume/armor so quickly when they have to go? That Ambassadoress likely had burritos that didn't agree.
    Maybe they pull a George Clooney?

https://geektyrant.com/news/george-clooney-peed-in-his-batsuit-a-couple-times-during-batman-robin

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SaltyDog79SaltyDog79 Member UncommonPosts: 119

3dom said:

This one should become a cover for the book "How not to design female costumes for dummies".

While it isn't the best female superhero costume I've ever seen, this feels overly harsh.

*shrug* To each his own.
    SBFord
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    The hands and feet seem too small for the body imo.  Considering it's an early build, I don't judge it too harshly.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Is this suppose to make me want to play the game ? I'm confused.. And that pose... its like when you run out of toilet paper and you crab walk to the closet with a dirty butt to get more TP
    AmatheMendelAsm0deusJeroKaneBlaze_Rocker
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    edited June 2018
    The hands and feet seem too small for the body imo.  Considering it's an early build, I don't judge it too harshly.
    Maybe the characters super power is mini hands and feet?  If you need a hero that can get your cell phone from between your car seat and the center console, call on the Mighty MiniHands? 
    ScotMadFrenchie

• koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    Look at the pictures on the website, they are much better.
    Scot
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    The other screens in the link look much better.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    A ex once told me she could tell who her real girl friends were by the sort of pictures they used of her on their Facebook.

Suzie what has "Female Soldier" ever done to you? :)
    maskedweaselJeffSpicoli
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    The SoH forum users asked for every new costume to be displayed as they are released.  Personally I preferred every two costumes... and it looks much better from virtually any angle possible other than this one!

Like this view

MadFrenchie

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

edited June 2018
    @Gladdog, as to better angles, I keep think of the movie Arthur, and the light hitting Susan's face:

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

GladDog said:

The SoH forum users asked for every new costume to be displayed as they are released.  Personally I preferred every two costumes... and it looks much better from virtually any angle possible other than this one!

Like this view

It really does look alot better from that angle
    Scot
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Um, okay, that's nice, but I thought one of the goals of the game was to recreate CoH's wonderful character creator, or outdo the one in Champions Online, so it seems at this stage talk of "a" new costume, things like "several costumes built for one model each," and talking a lot about the color coordination, doesn't sound like all that much in comparison. I guess they're still earlier in the process than I realized.
    Phry
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Seems odd that they would even spend time designing costumes, the one depicted is a bit odd as it isn't really a costume and isn't quite body armour either. I think they should concentrate more on the game itself and just give players the tools to design their own costumes the same as they did in COH/COV, it allows players to create their own 'look' whether it is stylish or utilitarian and hopefully prevents an attack of the clones everyone looks the same kind of thing. :/
    DMKano said:
    Still looks bad to me from any angle.

And it's not just this picture - the characters just look bad - which for a heroes based game is a serious problem.

I remember spending hours in CoH/V just making characters - not gonna be happening with this game.
    Eh, I think it's a little too early to judge.  Hopefully this isn't the final pass on character aesthetics.
    MendelSaltyDog79DavodtheTutt

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited July 2018
    Why do these artists highlight the boobs like that. Well I guess that is keeping with the super heroes theme. Whenever I made my super hero or villain in City of X I tried to be as creative as possible without the emphasis on the boobs.

My husband on the other had picked a huge breasted female in a bikini for his character every single time... go figure. Men .....
    PhryDavodtheTutt
    Chamber of Chains
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    cheyane said:
    Why do these artists highlight the boobs like that. Well I guess that is keeping with the super heroes theme. Whenever I made my super hero or villain in City of X I tried to be as creative as possible without the emphasis on the boobs.

My husband on the other had picked a huge breasted female in a bikini for his character every single time... go figure. Men .....
    Don't blame him, its a game, its engaging in fantasy, so why not? a game that didn't offer that kind of variety would be utterly boring after all. ;)
    cheyane said:

Sometime in the late eighties or early nineties the way comics were drawn changed. Every superhero had to look like they went down a gym everyday, be they Luke Cage or Cyclops. Did not matter about powers, you had to look more than ready for a fist fight. Same thing for superheroines, all the bits people admire were souped-up.

So this is all very true to comics 'lore', gaming and then films just followed suit. ;)
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    DMKano said:

And it's not just this picture - the characters just look bad - which for a heroes based game is a serious problem.

I remember spending hours in CoH/V just making characters - not gonna be happening with this game.
    Eh, I think it's a little too early to judge.  Hopefully this isn't the final pass on character aesthetics.
    I agree that it's early to judge, but how many of the small time development teams have the money, time or talent to actually do another pass on aesthetics?  Too many of these new games tend to go with the first thing they reveal is the final look of the item.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

DMKano said:
    DMKano said:

If they don't want to be judged - then don't show anything to the public.

As soon as devs reveal anything - it is 100% fair game as far as judging what they show.

The characters are fugly, the costumes are hideous.
    They look alright to me, what are you comparing them to, BDO?
    SaltyDog79
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:

If they don't want to be judged - then don't show anything to the public.

As soon as devs reveal anything - it is 100% fair game as far as judging what they show.

The characters are fugly, the costumes are hideous.

The face doesn't bother me- how many times are you close enough to another player to make out the details of their avatar's face?  How many times do you stare at your character from the front?
    SaltyDog79

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    There are artists working on costumes right now.  Their goal is to have 12-16 complete costumes to mix and match for a lot of costume choices.  Each one has 11 slots, and has to be modified for 3 body models, so each costume is a lot of work. 

SoH purchased a costume pack that was almost all civilian clothing, thinking this would be a good start.  Well, the costume pack was great, until the characters actually moved.  Then there was inferior shading, and lots & lots of occlusions.  So they have assigned an artist/programmer team to fix it.  And, they have been working on that for months.  So SoH won't be buying any more costumes.  Producing one costume a month will get them to their goal, and maybe even more.

By the way, CoH/V released in 2004 with a total of 10 complete costume sets with a lot of decal add-ons.  Most of their character creator was individual pieces.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

GladDog said:
    There are artists working on costumes right now.  Their goal is to have 12-16 complete costumes to mix and match for a lot of costume choices.  Each one has 11 slots, and has to be modified for 3 body models, so each costume is a lot of work. 

SoH purchased a costume pack that was almost all civilian clothing, thinking this would be a good start.  Well, the costume pack was great, until the characters actually moved.  Then there was inferior shading, and lots & lots of occlusions.  So they have assigned an artist/programmer team to fix it.  And, they have been working on that for months.  So SoH won't be buying any more costumes.  Producing one costume a month will get them to their goal, and maybe even more.

By the way, CoH/V released in 2004 with a total of 10 complete costume sets with a lot of decal add-ons.  Most of their character creator was individual pieces.
    One problem, I very much doubt they will launch with costumes for super dogs. :)