Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - Lichdom, I Hardly Know Him - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageGuild Wars 2 - Lichdom, I Hardly Know Him - MMORPG.com

Rather than going over everything which happened in Guild Wars 2 Episode 3 I’m going to focus on a few interesting questions this episode raises for me. Also, fair warning, there be spoilers ahead. If you haven’t played through the whole story and don’t want the ending spoiled stop reading now and come back after you are done.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ganoesz12ganoesz12 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I don't for a moment think Joko is gone for good. He's egotistical and full of it, but.. something about the way he said 'the claims of my immortality have been drastically understated' struck me as potentially one of the most truthful things he's ever said. Add on top of that how.. weak Aurene seemed after she ate him? I worry she's going to have some serious issues ahead of her. 'cause holy hell, the last thing Tyria needs is Joko's spirit possessing the body of a dragon!
    ArleeMindTricked
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'm enjoying this story a lot. Looking forward to more.
    ZzadReverielle

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    is it just me or is GW2 lore going down the route of WoW and will soon be an impenetrable mess? :)
    Ungood
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Scot said:
    is it just me or is GW2 lore going down the route of WoW and will soon be an impenetrable mess? :)
    You keep adding onto a story and keep it going without stopping and this will happen to any story, no matter how great it was initially.

Scot

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Sephiroso said:
    Scot said:
    You keep adding onto a story and keep it going without stopping and this will happen to any story, no matter how great it was initially.

I think GW2 is going the way of WoW by jumping the shark.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    edited June 2018
    Sephiroso said:
    Scot said:

Almost the entire Guild Wars 2 story so far has followed The Movement of the World, which was established years before launch. If anything, their story has been immaculately well planned.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Movement_of_the_World
    rojoArcueidmaskedweaselReverielleArlee
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Aeander said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Scot said:

Almost the entire Guild Wars 2 story so far has followed The Movement of the World, which was established years before launch. If anything, their story has been immaculately well planned.

I actually agree with this, and that's coming from someone that doesn't like story in MMOs generally.  The characters have no impact on me. I'm the guy that's like.. "Okay that person died. Oh that was supposed to be some big hero? Oops. Okay moving on" 

But the way they position the story elements are really well done on how the gameplay bridges what's happening from the story itself to what's going on out in the world and what you're experiencing as a player.  

I actually know a couple NPC characters now, that's pretty impressive for me. 
    Scot

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Aeander said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Scot said:

That doesn't disprove or negate what i said though. No matter how great a story is initially, if they continue to endlessly add to it(say when they've ran out of content from the movement of the world) it will decrease in quality.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132
    I love Joko , his twisted sense of humor , he is menacing , hateful, egoistic .He is Deadpool of GW2
    Aeander said:
    Sephiroso said:
    Scot said:

You did say "almost". The problem is that lore cannot dictate the "growth" of the game, much as I am a lore fan you have to except the needs of the game. It is more about how you manage the lore issues that will come up, because they will come up.

Nice summary in that link btw.
    maskedweasel
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    edited June 2018
    Where would we find such magic?

Easy, Aurene. Aurene is the daughter of Glint, meaning she has the power of Kralkatorik by default. She got some of Mordremoth's power when we killed him [which means she also has Zhaitan's magic since Mordremoth had it] and she has part of Balthazar's power [which by extension means she has part of both Primordus and Jormag's magics].

This means all she needs to have is the Deep Sea Dragon's magic and she would have part of every one of them AND the power of one of the Six Gods. She might not be anywhere near full grown, but she's currently the strongest being in Tyria.

So 2 things could happen in the end. Either she will become the ultimate Elder Dragon, having dominion over all magic thanks to her own God-like powers from Balthazar and therefore be able to keep order alone OR......we'll be forced to kill her because she cannot handle all the power and all the magic forces the remaining Dragons to fall back into hibernation, with one of the main characters [likely Rytlock thanks to his abilities as a Revenant] having to become the new God of War to replace Balthazar similarly to how Kormir did in GW1 and absorb the remaining magic to save Tyria.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    joko is gone , im sure , but what will happen to aurene , who knows ....there are so many possibilities , maybe joko comes back controlling aurene, maybe we are going to face Krak for once , or maybe something happens.

Joko has been one of the most fun and charismatic villians i have seen is kinda a wannabe joker , but with a twist that make him interesting.

Would love to see more of him for sure! , but we arleady covered 3 episodes , and thats usually when things change.....ep 4 or LS 5? :o
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Scot said:

WoW's lore is an impenetrable mess because of the ridiculous amount of retcons in it. That's what happens when you have writers who lack the intelligence and creativity to write themselves out of a corner of their own making.
    Scot

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

Scot said:

WoW's lore is an impenetrable mess because of the ridiculous amount of retcons in it. That's what happens when you have writers who lack the intelligence and creativity to write themselves out of a corner of their own making.
    I harken back to an article many years ago on this site when a writer employed on MMO's was talking about the changing face of such work. She said not that many writers were now being employed and "everybody and the teaboy is expected to be able to write for the MMO".

If you cheapskate on writing, then you get poor lore and quests.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Completed the story, got my roller beetle mount then some other random achievements. Might as well do it on my alts too since some of the stuff involved required people which won't be there anymore in afew months time.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.