Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Modern MMORPG Blues (a.k.a Another Old Guy's Rant About The Glory Days)

RoadtripRoadtrip Member UncommonPosts: 4

I’ve been playing MMORPGs for over 20 year now:

Ultima Online, Everquest, Dark Ages of Camelot, Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest II, World of Warcraft, Ryzom, Vanguard, City of Heroes, Star Wars the Old Republic, Rift and many others over the years. Now I play Wizard101 with the next generation MMORPG gamer (my 7 year old son.)

Sadly, I continue to pine for the original Everquest days and still miss the occasional yells of, “TRAIN TO ZONE!”

Modern MMORPGs  provide much better user interfaces, graphics, and play mechanics than Everquest was ever capable of, but here are a few things I really miss:

#1 – Community Dependent Play.

If you wanted to travel quickly you needed to ask a druid or wizard to “port” you, otherwise you were hoofing it!  Time to upgrade your gear?  You’d either buy or trade gear with other players in Eastern Commons, not NPC vendors.  If you were a weapon smith and needed armor crafted, you would find an armorer player and either pay them or tip them to combine (craft) your materials for a tip.  Basically it was the player community that provided the mechanism for commerce.

#2 – Reward AND risk

Modern MMORPGs are quick to offer rewards for game progression, however most have no risk or downside to character deaths anymore.  In Everquest, if a player’s character died you’d actually lose experience points and everything you were carrying, including the gear you were wearing, would remain on the character’s corpse located where you died and you would have to retrieve it.  This was often frustrating and perhaps too Draconian, but a middle ground would be welcome.

#3 – Unique character traits and abilities.

It seems player character types in most modern MMORPGs are no longer designed for a specific role. If you decided to play a warrior in Everquest, you absorbed damage and maintained threat.  That’s it.  So, I could DPS for a group right? No.  I still get a heal at a higher level right? No.  You are a tank. Resign yourself to it and be the best tank you can be.  There were hybrid character types in Everquest but if you chose to play a druid or paladin, you could not do as well a job in either role as a pure character type.

#4 - Factions

If you decided to kill a Dwarf NPC on the road for phat lewt, don’t expect to be able to just walk into a dwarf player town without the NPCs attacking you on sight!  Everything you killed (except animals) would affect some faction and you would need to balance who you were friendly or unfriendly with.

HERE’S MY QUESTION:

Are there any MMORPGs with the above mentioned elements that anyone could recommend I try?

Thanks for reading!
delete5230deniterScotAlBQuirky

Comments

• RoadtripRoadtrip Member UncommonPosts: 4
    DMKano said:
    For upcoming games:

Wait for Pantheon would be my suggestion - it's literally built on EQ1 classic as a blueprint.

For in-development games:

If you were a fan of Asheron's Call (which you didn't mention so probably not) - I would recommend Project Gorgon - if not well you probably won't like it.

For already running and established games:

If you like heavily focused guild PvP - for sci-fi setting EvE is great option.

If you like fantasy focused guild centric PvP game - ArcheAge is still the best option (just simply avoid the cash shop, or wait til we get a sub-only version in the west which finally might be in the works)

If you just want to play classic EQ1:

Project 99

That's my 2c

Thanks GMKano - I really appreciate the info.

I've played Asheron's Call and so I checked out the Hiveleader's (whom I love) video on Project Gorgon.  It's got my attention.

I played EVE Online for years but no longer have the time to log into any game on any consistent basis.

Never heard of Project 1999 and I think I'll give it a shot too.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    razor247 said:
    Project Gorgon is awful...
    In your opinion it is. In my opinion it's great, I've spend tons of time on it, it has exactly what I want out of an oldschool MMORPG, and they are constantly adding more. 
    MadFrenchieAmathe[Deleted User]
    razor247 said:
    In your opinion it is. In my opinion it's great, I've spend tons of time on it, it has exactly what I want out of an oldschool MMORPG, and they are constantly adding more. 
    There are all type of MMORPG players out there. For some, PvP is a must, others want stunning graphics, or even those who like playing games where everything looks like overstuffed cartoonish rainbow unicorns (which I personally cannot deal with.) Different strokes.

They say you can never go back. Project 1999 would definitely hit my nostalgia button but I am sure I'd be hit with all the small idiosyncrasies I've completely forgotten about that used to drive me crazy about EQ.

I checked out Project Gordon on Steam and I like what I see so far. Looks like I am giving it a go.
    EvilGeekPanther2103
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Roadtrip said:
    razor247 said:
    There are all type of MMORPG players out there. For some, PvP is a must, others want stunning graphics, or even those who like playing games where everything looks like overstuffed cartoonish rainbow unicorns (which I personally cannot deal with.) Different strokes.

They say you can never go back. Project 1999 would definitely hit my nostalgia button but I am sure I'd be hit with all the small idiosyncrasies I've completely forgotten about that used to drive me crazy about EQ.

I checked out Project Gordon on Steam and I like what I see so far. Looks like I am giving it a go.
    Biggest detriment currently, imo, os optimization.  I'm with @Torval that I'm not sure Unity will ever reach a great level of optimization without heavy instancing, but truly hope they can reach at least a workable level.
    EvilGeek[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    HOW TO PLAY p1999  

-Go to EverQuest forums on this site.  

-Find the topic: 
    "For anyone looking to join Project 1999, but do not have the disks"  
    Read and follow the main OP and all replies. 

You can play totally free, 
    -free account 
    -free to get the 5 disc set.

The game is populated.  Unfortunately Vanilla EQ1 is far out dated for me. HOWEVER for someone with EQ1 experience, theirs a lot of fun to be had :)   
    Scot
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,985
    edited July 2018
    Welcome to the boards Roadtrip, with such an insightful thread maybe a post more than three times in 14 years is in order? :)

I tend to use guilds rather than games to give me that old school feel, but some of the up and coming indies are a possibility when it comes to redressing the balance between old and new school.
    Post edited by Scot on
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Roadtrip said:
    razor247 said:

If you do end up getting Project Gorgon, just remember it really doesn't really hold your hand at all, so if you have something specific you find you want to do, you can always try to ask around in town. Or you can look at the writers guild in Serbule, as players can write books in there and there are some guides (although I think the steam guides are a little more helpful). 
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Screeps does this pretty well without NPC factions.   Though since it's an AI programming game, it doesn't need NPCs as badly since your empire is always logged in.

SecondLife hits most of those points if you play it as a creation/market PvP game.   Though again without NPCs, and further without RPG mechanics.

Runescape is good for getting the feeling of old MMOs.   With its real questing, possible item loss on death, old grind mechanics, and similar.   This also one of few that still does NPCs.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I always found the npc faction thing annoying. Grinding XP and loot is one thing but grinding faction points were terrible.

Otherwise do I agree.
    Loke666 said:
    I always found the npc faction thing annoying. Grinding XP and loot is one thing but grinding faction points were terrible.

Otherwise do I agree.
    Grinding is always an issue but I thought factions were removed from more modern MMOs for a different reason. Designers decided that nobody must feel they have made a mistake, not with their class, their choice of powers, their faction...they must have no reason to think they have made a mistake levelling anything. Because a player who feels he has made a mistake may quit the game.

So factions became a problem, the player might decide that the faction he had chosen was the wrong one. Some MMOs (stretching memory here) even went down the line of allowing you to develop an alliance with every faction! Most just binned the idea.
    AlBQuirky
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Ryzom is still around.  They probably need players more than the other games, but they always did.  (Now, that's a 'niche' game).  Ryzom did a lot of interesting things.  Chances are that unless you're really a big-time Ryzom head, there will still be a lot of these interesting things you haven't seen.   Project 1999, you've probably seen it all before.  It's just down to what experience you want -- old but slightly unfamiliar or old and comfortable.

Roadtrip

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited July 2018
    This proves an old saying. A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.

I also recommend Project Gorgon.
    Roadtrip

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Scot said:
    Grinding is always an issue but I thought factions were removed from more modern MMOs for a different reason. Designers decided that nobody must feel they have made a mistake, not with their class, their choice of powers, their faction...they must have no reason to think they have made a mistake levelling anything. Because a player who feels he has made a mistake may quit the game.

So factions became a problem, the player might decide that the faction he had chosen was the wrong one. Some MMOs (stretching memory here) even went down the line of allowing you to develop an alliance with every faction! Most just binned the idea.
    I never had any problem choosing sides but the old "grind up another faction" you got in every expansion was tiring and boring.

Sure, it sucked in the old days when the devs made a huge nerf on your specc and you were stuck with it, or when a new expansion left you behind others as well. That was an issue because MMO class mechanics change so much with each expansion and even a lot between them.

But they solved that rather early, with you being able to pay (usually a rather large sum) to respecc. I wish they kept that part, people put more thought into their specc that way without destroying a character if you made the wrong choice at level 5.

The thing with factions though is that it easily becomes boring since you usually had to do tons of quests and grind loads of mobs to get anywhere. I never felt as motivated grinding that as I did grinding XP and gear. As I remember it was actually possible to grind up a bad reputation with a faction to a good one, it was just a very painful grind to do it.
    MadFrenchieAlBQuirky
    HOW TO PLAY p1999  

-Go to EverQuest forums on this site.  

-Find the topic: 
    "For anyone looking to join Project 1999, but do not have the disks"  
    Read and follow the main OP and all replies. 

You can play totally free, 
    -free account 
    -free to get the 5 disc set.

The game is populated.  Unfortunately Vanilla EQ1 is far out dated for me. HOWEVER for someone with EQ1 experience, theirs a lot of fun to be had :)   
    Procured the virtual EQ CDs, downloaded the necessary Project 1999 files, and followed all the instructions.

Pretty straight forward if it wasn't for my firewall and anti-virus protection software going "code red" and treating the install like the PC version of H1N1.  Had to create a number of firewall exceptions and convince my anti-virus software that Project 1999's dsetup.dll file wasn't sent from Russia and aimed at the Pentagon.

Finally back in Norath... and it's much more blocky looking than I remember -  LOL!

Loke666 said:
    Scot said:

I never had any problem choosing sides but the old "grind up another faction" you got in every expansion was tiring and boring.

Sure, it sucked in the old days when the devs made a huge nerf on your specc and you were stuck with it, or when a new expansion left you behind others as well. That was an issue because MMO class mechanics change so much with each expansion and even a lot between them.

But they solved that rather early, with you being able to pay (usually a rather large sum) to respecc. I wish they kept that part, people put more thought into their specc that way without destroying a character if you made the wrong choice at level 5.

The thing with factions though is that it easily becomes boring since you usually had to do tons of quests and grind loads of mobs to get anywhere. I never felt as motivated grinding that as I did grinding XP and gear. As I remember it was actually possible to grind up a bad reputation with a faction to a good one, it was just a very painful grind to do it.
    I am not a huge fan of rep grinding, either.  I would likely do it in a game like Tabula Rasa, where it could be done by defending or taking bases from the faction's enemies, though.

In short, if I'm going to grind these days, I'd rather do it in a dynamic world that changes in response to player grinding said rep.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited July 2018
    I don’t like rep grinding per say but I do like grinding if that makes sense? 
    I'm with you. People don't seem to understand how old grinds used to really work. You grinded for something back in the day because it would be useful for at least a year down the line. Hell, it even made people excited to get a jump start on new content because of that, since it would usually remain the same way and not get a predictable nerf like almost all new content in games get today. So today's market has this 'grind' for something that will be predictable replaced by another 'grind' in a few months. There's simply no forethought or persistence, thus is why you see so many people in today's market saying "I dont want to grind" which I can't blame them because all the time you put in today is replaced in a few months.

The whole thing FFXIV is trying to do now with Eureka is a prime example. They did (and still are) trying to be a 'grind' in the game that essentially is a 'work-around' for their weekly limit system. So pretty much if you're done capping tomes and got your savage gear for the week on say you're main, Eureka is pretty much meant to serve as a gear buffer until the weekly reset. However, the 'grind' is long and honestly pointless unless you care about the vanity aspect simply because by the time you get 3-4 jobs (aka classes) geared that way, the next patch will be out and will move the weekly capped tomed gear to uncapped which will be replaced by a new weekly capped set. This ends up making Eureka completely pointless since you can farm uncapped tomes super easy to gear every alternative class. Thus a grind system that is completely pointless simply because you dont have enough time to enjoy what you grinded for.

There's usually some kind of 'attachment' that develops when you get an item too after so long, like when I got my first RDM AF2 hat in FFXI through dynamis after a year of running dynamis-xarcabard straight. A lot of people in today's market that play mmorpgs dont really have those 'epic' moments anymore or they are just pointless again going back to how long you have to enjoy the reward (which many people find enjoyment in something if the community value of it is high and hard to acquire/achieve).
    I don’t like rep grinding per say but I do like grinding if that makes sense? 
    I get you.  I just don't see the connection to the reward for rep grinding.  I'll grind if there's something I really want, and the grind isn't completely monotonous.  I feel like in this day and age grinding static mobs should be a thing of the past, but alas... :(

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    The thing is we can go back to EQ, Anarchy Online, UO, etc....Most of the games are still around and many are free to play....but.....they just are not the same....The community is what made most of these games and those communities are gone for the most part.
    ScotHariken
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Perhaps people just outgrew the notion of attacking static mods and the novelty affect is gone.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    Perhaps people just outgrew the notion of attacking static mods and the novelty affect is gone.
    Grouping all but disappeared, grinding static mobs became boring after that.
    Loke666AlBQuirky
    I am not a huge fan of rep grinding, either.  I would likely do it in a game like Tabula Rasa, where it could be done by defending or taking bases from the faction's enemies, though.

In short, if I'm going to grind these days, I'd rather do it in a dynamic world that changes in response to player grinding said rep.
    Indeed but it is hard to pull that off successfully in a MMO unless you use phasing or instancing. You could count what reputation the majority of the server grinds together but that has some problems as well.

In a PvP game it is easier, then you do stuff for your faction and that faction controls areas due to your actions. It is logical that the heroes of a faction would be popular and have access to certain things regular soldiers don't have.

In PvE it usually is just a grind to be able to buy some stuff and maybe that some races are hostile or friendly due to your severe grinding or lack thereoff. In RvR it is more or less the point of the game but in a regular PvE MMO it is usually just a silly afterthought.

You could of course make a PvE game as well where the factions is one of the main point of the game but to my knowledge has no game done that so far, but I could accept that if the game made it good enough.

For instance could you have a PvE game where the followers of different Gods spend their time futhering their own Gods factions. The evil Gods followers doing bad stuff, the God of justice followers solving crime and punish criminals and so on. If that would affect the entire server it could be really fun.

But PvE games tend to be only about you and possibly (but rarely) your guild. Factions in games like that are just a boring grind.

The problem with the genre today as I see it is a lack of imagination. The old MMOs had imagination but I am not sure that remaking old MMOs is the way to go either.

It was the imagination and willingless to try new and different things that made games like M59, UO, EQ, DaoC and AC (among others) so great from the beginning. It was even what made Wow a good game in the beginning, not so much anymore. Today few games try to be very different.
    AlBQuirky
    Scot said:
    Grouping all but disappeared, grinding static mobs became boring after that.
    True, doing a hard static fight with a different group had at least some novelty, doing an easy static mob yourself just isn't the same thing.

They fixed the wrong thing, instead of making the combat more interesting and dynamic they killed grouping and made everything easier.
    MendelScotAlBQuirky
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The thing is we can go back to EQ, Anarchy Online, UO, etc....Most of the games are still around and many are free to play....but.....they just are not the same....The community is what made most of these games and those communities are gone for the most part.
    I would say this is true. I tried going back to Anarchy Online many times. The game i remembered is gone. The would is empty. Its so sad really.