Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just got a warning for deceptive site HERE

WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
So i was reading a few of the main forum threads and what pops up is one of those rare big red screens warning of deceptive/hacking site.

So idk if this site has been compromised,hacked or whatever but this is a rare occasion and seems quite important for this site to check into it.

I tried to replicate my actions but to no avail.
So my hunch is some adware used on this site is considered a deceptive business and flagged by security outlets.

So doing a google search,yep i was right...
https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-will-slap-big-red-warning-on-legit-sites-hosting-bad-ads/

This in  away proves no matter how legit this site is,we are a target for malicious people businesses because this site simply goes for the $$ and trusts whomever.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

KyleranGhavriggEponyxDamorpythiDvora

Comments

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    I think saying the site just trusts whomever might be just a tad bit melodramatic. You don't see nutaku ads on the sides do you?

Websites depend on their communities to report bad ads like you're attempting to do right now so they can actually do something about it. If they get no reports, how do you expect them to know of the issue to fix it? If they then continued to do nothing after receiving reports, then sure you could say something like that.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    The ads legitimacy is  so weird, you see Google itself advertising gold selling websites, it's all over the place.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited June 2018
    LOL,  so you find one bad ad on this site after this service by Google has been in place since early 2016....and you are up in arms?

Paranoia much?  Pro tip, stay off the internet, clearly much too dangerous for you.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Sephiroso said:
    I think saying the site just trusts whomever might be just a tad bit melodramatic. You don't see nutaku ads on the sides do you?

Websites depend on their communities to report bad ads like you're attempting to do right now so they can actually do something about it. If they get no reports, how do you expect them to know of the issue to fix it? If they then continued to do nothing after receiving reports, then sure you could say something like that.
    This is EXACTLY what i am saying,you didn't read the link i see?
    Google is flagging those sites you just mentioned so that we DON'T see them or connect to them.
    "melodramatic"??lol so your saying Google acting is melodramatic,big websites reporting on it is melodramatic,no it is considered IMPORTANT.

You also miss the point entirely,this is NOT about reporting bad ads,GOOGLE is doing that because THIS SITE is freely allowing it's partners to do whatever it wants,so happens Google is responsible,how about the OTHER partners?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    If I were you, I'd be much more worried about the IoT than ads here.  That's where the danger is- as McAfee himself put it, the IoT is a Pearl Harbor of cyber security waiting to happen.
    Quizzical

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    MaxBacon said:
    The ads legitimacy is  so weird, you see Google itself advertising gold selling websites, it's all over the place.
    Although we may consider that a shotty practice,it is not the same as a website or link trying to do something illegal.Example a deceptive website might use a fake embedded link "just giving an example"this often happens using bank forums because they are trying to attain bank information from anyone stupid enough to fill out a form.
    Point by Google is that is considers those flagged sites to be VERY suspect and not some simple rmt transaction site .
    You should also realize that once you click on ANY ad it is a whole new set of parameters ,a new set of partners and links and popups or however those followed links intend to operate.

edited June 2018
    Wizardry said:
    Sephiroso said:

Google is flagging those sites you just mentioned so that we DON'T see them or connect to them.
    "melodramatic"??lol so your saying Google acting is melodramatic,big websites reporting on it is melodramatic,no it is considered IMPORTANT.

You also miss the point entirely,this is NOT about reporting bad ads,GOOGLE is doing that because THIS SITE is freely allowing it's partners to do whatever it wants,so happens Google is responsible,how about the OTHER partners?

I explained why i said the word melodramtic. You called the site(mmorpg.com i was assuming what you were talking about) is only in it for the money and just trusts whichever ads without caring. Thats what you were insinuating. That line was being a tad melodramatic.

If you weren't talking about mmorpg.com when you said that then sorry for my mistake.
    MadFrenchie

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Sephiroso said:
    Wizardry said:
    Sephiroso said:

I explained why i said the word melodramtic. You called the site(mmorpg.com i was assuming what you were talking about) is only in it for the money and just trusts whichever ads without caring. Thats what you were insinuating. That line was being a tad melodramatic.

If you weren't talking about mmorpg.com when you said that then sorry for my mistake.
    He was accusing MMORPG.com of irresponsibly trusting its advertising partners and putting the rest of us at "risk."

You weren't mistaken in your accusation of over dramatization.
    Panther2103EponyxDamorConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Wizardry being melodramatic?  Ya don't say?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    edited July 2018
    Gorwe said:
    If I were you, I'd be much more worried about the IoT than ads here.  That's where the danger is- as McAfee himself put it, the IoT is a Pearl Harbor of cyber security waiting to happen.
    IoT?
    Internet of Things, aka, taking random devices that have no good reason to be connected to the Internet and making versions that can connect to the Internet, and then actually connecting them to the Internet.  All the better to let the bad guys use them to create giant botnets to cause untold mischief, since the device owners won't notice.

It's the next big thing that a bunch of tech companies are working on.
    MadFrenchieGorwe
    Like smart locks. Smart refridgerators, smart coffee makers. AFAIK it's not so much a "tech companies are working on" but rather they're already here.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Sephiroso said:
    Like smart locks. Smart refridgerators, smart coffee makers. AFAIK it's not so much a "tech companies are working on" but rather they're already here.
    They exist to some degree, but it's expected that they'll become far more widespread than they are now.  There are some fairly nasty potential downsides that probably won't happen, or at least not very often or not to that severe of a degree.  But in a lot of cases, it's completely stupid because there isn't much of an upside.  Why does a refrigerator need to be connected to the Internet, anyway?
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    So basically if google defines an ad as bad it must be bad.  Not saying that someone didn't slip a bad script into something before it was submitted to be hosted on sites.  Anyone that is smart already runs script blockers, ect... when viewing stuff online, especially ads.  Don't really need google trying to act like an antivirus even though they already are worse than any antivirus when it comes to privacy.
  • AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    Please do post screens of anything you see that is like a pop-up, etc.  We only serve ads that we sell and host directly and then the unsold ad space is served up to Google.
    MadFrenchie

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Quizzical said:
    Gorwe said:
    IoT?
    Internet of Things, aka, taking random devices that have no good reason to be connected to the Internet and making versions that can connect to the Internet, and then actually connecting them to the Internet.  All the better to let the bad guys use them to create giant botnets to cause untold mischief, since the device owners won't notice.

It's the next big thing that a bunch of tech companies are working on.
    Now I most certainly won't buy a Juicero.....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer