Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Killing animals in MMORPGs

RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
edited June 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
How does it make you feel if you have to kill animal(s) while wandering in wilderness and/or questing?

I'm an animal lover in real life and I find it very unpleasant if I need to kill an animal in a MMORPG. I know I'm playing just a game but it's funny how it can almost make me sad :) I always kind of roleplay it out in my head like: "I kill only if absolutely necessary", "I have to survive and I will use every material needed, nothing will be wasted", "this animal is disturbed and it's better to just despatch it".

Killing humans/humanoids/monsters is a trivial thing of course :p it's just animals I'm having a hard time with

If you see an animal train following a running character in LotRO it's probably me ;)
[Deleted User]WalkinGlenn

Comments

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Shame on you :)

Yes, you can kill cubs in LotRO too. I think animals in LoTRO are more realistic than in many other high fantasy MMORPGs. Maybe that's why I find it sad if I have to kill them.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I don't care until the hero of the world is told to kill 10 rats.
    Rollerratklash2defmarganculosSpottyGekko
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited June 2018
    You don't kill anything playing a game. And killing animals in real life is only wrong if you do it for pleasure, but there is nothing wrong in killing to eat or self defense. The human especies evolved by hunting, our ancestors discovered eating meat provides much more energy than picking vegetables and the meat allowed our brain to grow and evolve to what it is now, many of our ancestors were killed by stronger predators and we faced extinction on our early days. But we managed to acheived the top of the food chain. Wherever is on a higher level on the food chain can kill and eat whatever is on a lower level on the chain, there is nothing wrong with that.
    [Deleted User]
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited June 2018
    DMKano said:
    Kabulozo said:
    You don't kill anything playing a game. And killing animals in real life is only wrong if you do it for pleasure, but there is nothing wrong in killing to eat or self defense. The human especies evolved by hunting, our ancestors discovered eating meat provides much more energy than picking vegetables and the meat allowed our brain to grow and evolve to what it is now, many of our ancestors were killed by stronger predators and we faced extinction on our early days. But we managed to acheived the top of the food chain. Wherever is on a higher level on the food chain can kill and eat whatever is on a lower level on the chain, there is nothing wrong with that.

While it might be wrong morally - there is no laws that state that killing animals for pleasure is wrong. I know many hunters that kill because they find it's a pleasure for them - it's fun.

Also when it comes to pest animals - like curbing wild boar populations where there is no limit on how many you can kill - again I know guys who find it very pleasurable to just mow them down with AR15s for fun.

My buddy does this - rents a chopper and kills 100s of hogs like this 

Yes this falls under Wild Boar pest control guidliness and is 100% legal (the video is from California - and they have the strictest gun laws) 
    http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74170.html

I personally find no fun in it - but I wouldn't label people who do this as "wrong" if they find pleasure in it. They aren't breaking any laws.
    It is ethically wrong, but it doesn't mean that it can be enforced by any law. In fact, hunting for sport is legal and a huge business in several regions in the world.
    pythi
  • Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    I don't like killing things necessarily whether they be animal or humanoid but it isn't really a sense of right and wrong but more of an idea of time. This was a huge issue for me in B&S where you get a quest to kill one guy but he's in the back of a long ass cave where you have to kill all the minions to get to him. That is bullshit to me and it happened all the time in B&S.

This is a huge reason I like PSO2, you are told to kill the boss you can rush directly to the boss and kill it without killing anything else despite it being an instance based game like Vindictus but Vindictus forces you to kill everything in an area to move on. 
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Did "human" count among animals you killed ?
    [Deleted User]
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Depends on the amount of loot and experience gained. I don't see game objectives as a moral question because it's only a game, it has no influence on real life.

• DrewwhoDrewwho Member CommonPosts: 17

I just like to make them squeak when they die . :)

I remember my Asura engineer had an electric gun that when it killed bunnies used to hold them in shock in the air for a fraction of a second . That was quite fun .

But in real life I would never hurt an animal .

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    edited June 2018
    DMKano said:
    I don't care until the hero of the world is told to kill 10 rats.
    Hint - there is no hero of the world, it's just a carrot on a stick tactic NPCs use to fool you into doing their work.

You've been a puppet of game's NPCs all this time.
    Impossible.
    Post edited by Vermillion_Raventhal on
    Ungoodpythi
  • Zeppel80Zeppel80 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Yeah, I refrain from killing animals, or anything else, if I don't have to. I play ESO and I go out of my way to avoid killing giants in Wrothgar just because I think they're cool. Same for the non-violent animals. I will kill them for crafting mats, of course, but I hate to do it, sometimes. Yeah, they're not real, but that's why they call it "immersion."
    Rollerrat
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    I think animal rights people like to think they are superior and in general more morally just than "normal" people.  It just goes to show that they are actually more psychotic than the rest of us when examples like the OP have no trouble killing humans in a game but cant separate pixels from reality when it comes to animals.

You're all f'd up dude, and beyond rediculous.  Either it's a game and it makes no difference, or you should feel more or just as guilty killiing humans than animals.  Maybe you should just stay away from video games with "violence", for your own mental health.
    sumdumguy1forcelimaMaddog666AlBQuirkypythi
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    In all honesty this bothers me greatly in many games.  Its something that over the years gets harder and harder.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    I typically won't attack something that does not attack me in a game, and this pretty much applies to anything.
    MadFrenchieTsiya
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited June 2018
    I love animals as well and would never kill one in real life.I simply look at this as computer code "which it is lol"I am killing pixels and NOT animals.Seriosuly you could replace ANY texture/model and just replace it with a large letter A or B or C and it serves the same purpose.
    So in one instance the actual animal models bring our worlds to life bu then i turn that off when killing pixels.
    In real life i have zero use for Hunting shows and hunting ..period,funny how we have so many weird people we have to live with in life.On one hand some people are complaining animals are taking a dump on the grass but then build homes on dump sites,don't take a dump but it is ok to kill stuff,lot' of weirdos with backwards priorities in life.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Have you considered only killing the animals that are evil?  And by "evil", I mean, has a chance of dropping good loot.
    Scotforcelima[Deleted User]MendelAlBQuirkypythiPhry
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    First world problems are found even in MMOs it seems. :)
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkypythiRollerrat
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    DMKano said:

Yes this falls under Wild Boar pest control guidliness and is 100% legal (the video is from California - and they have the strictest gun laws) 

I personally find no fun in it - but I wouldn't label people who do this as "wrong" if they find pleasure in it. They aren't breaking any laws.
    Legal =/= Moral
    Illegal =/= Immoral

I can understand the need to gun down some animals as pest control but personally giggling after you mow down a terrified creature from a helicopter with a machinegun seems a bit sadistic to me.

Just because we need to sometimes butcher things for sustenance or pest control, and even if you do believe (as I do) that a human's life is worth substantially more than a boar's life, that doesn't mean we should take pleasure in the suffering of other creatures.
    MadFrenchieMaddog666ohgodtherats707
    If society has a need to kill a bunch of some particular type of animal, and there are some people within that society who are willing to pay for the privilege of killing the pests while scrupulously observing regulations preventing them from killing other animals, then that seems like a pretty efficient way to get the necessary animals killed.
    forcelimaPhry
  • FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Most serial killers tortured and killed animals as children. People who kill animals for 'pleasure' or 'sport' are retarded, without a shadow of a doubt. Pleasure in killing a defenceless animal? something wrong in your head. Sport? Fuck off you thick bastards, it is in no way a sport.
    Phry

Fangrim said:
    Most serial killers tortured and killed animals as children. People who kill animals for 'pleasure' or 'sport' are retarded, without a shadow of a doubt. Pleasure in killing a defenceless animal? something wrong in your head. Sport? Fuck off you thick bastards, it is in no way a sport.
    There is an enormous moral difference between killing things that you should kill and killing things that you should not kill.  Even if you want to talk about hunting, there's an enormous difference between selectively killing animals that a region has too many of and killing animals that the region has too few of.
    AlBQuirky
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I always role play a good person. I don't kill any animals unless they con red to me and attack. Non threatening animals i take screen shots with.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'm the opposite I guess.  I don't like PvP that much knowing I'm affecting a person on the other end of that character.  A battle evenly matched with skill vs skill is OK, win or lose congratulating the other person for a good fight.  But ganking someone who's level is so low they have zero chance of winning or escape is without honor and therefore no fun for me.

As to NPC's animal or human, as long as they provide XP it's OK as a means to an end.  When ever I get tired of just plain simulated killing I do exploration or switch to a game that allows lots of stealth progression for a change of pace.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    He wasn't talking about things you should or should not kill he was talking about taking pleasure in killing. There is a world of difference between those two statements.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2018
    Quizzical said:
    Fangrim said:
    There is an enormous moral difference between killing things that you should kill and killing things that you should not kill.  Even if you want to talk about hunting, there's an enormous difference between selectively killing animals that a region has too many of and killing animals that the region has too few of.
    His post had little to do with the underlying reasoning for the regulations but how the person reacts emotionally to destroying a living thing.  The two are disconnected.  The guy shooting the wild hogs would likely react the exact same way if it were another animal, no matter how many there were in the region.  The law doesn't determine morality.  The law was made for a logical and rational reason - his emotional response has nothing to do with logic or reason.

With that said, nature includes death and living things killing other living things.  It's part of the cycle of life.  Rarely is there a case of animals that go on killing sprees merely for gratification.  They do it to satiate a need or instinct.  It brings to mind the Mark Twain quote: "Man is the only animal that blushes.  Or needs to."
    AlBQuirkyUngood

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    DMKano said:
    Kabulozo said:

While it might be wrong morally - there is no laws that state that killing animals for pleasure is wrong. I know many hunters that kill because they find it's a pleasure for them - it's fun.

Also when it comes to pest animals - like curbing wild boar populations where there is no limit on how many you can kill - again I know guys who find it very pleasurable to just mow them down with AR15s for fun.

This is patently false, about there being no laws that state killing animals for pleasure is wrong. You can and will get fined and possibly even jailtime if you're found killing dog for instance. And i'm not even talking about someone else's dog.

If you go to a shelter, and get a dog, and took it home and killed it purely for pleasure, you will shortly after(assuming someone reports you) be getting a visit from the police.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!