Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decided to fire up Mass Effect (1) after many years...

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
edited June 2018 in PC Gaming
... and I miss all the "dumbing down" they added for later installments :)

The autosave frequency can't even be changed (it says 10 minutes but they lie!) and I've lost the habit of saving it myself frequently (remember those days?) so more than once I've found myself having to go back a lonnnng way because I did something stupid like driving my Mako off a very high roadway. The companion AI is pretty dumb ("you have biotic powers Liara, so ffs use them!") and I'd forgotten you MUST be a soldier for your first playthrough. It doesn't even do 1080P so black borders it is.

Those things aside I'm having a blast going back to the Shepard, Liara, Garus and the rest of the gang's origins. Not bad for an 11 yr. old game.
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

MadFrenchiesumdumguy1Scotdreamsfade

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Lol I remember having to basically direct all the actions of companions.  At least the system for doing so is not entirely cumbersome (ehm, DA:I, looking at you), and you don't have that many to micromanage.

I find companion AI editors to be a huge plus for party-based games.
    MrMelGibsonGorwe

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    The game that made me fall in love with Garus and the Mass Effect universe. Worth a replay.
    Octagon7711kitaradAzaron_Nightblade
    Chamber of Chains
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited June 2018
    I loved 1 & 2, I bought Mass Effect 3 on launch day and still have yet to play it. I never even installed it. I always forget i even own it because its stuck in limbo on the Orgin store
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    thunderC said:
    I loved 1 & 2, I bought Mass Effect 3 on launch day and still have yet to play it. I never even installed it. I always forget i even own it because its stuck in limbo on the Orgin store
    You need to play it. All that controversy about the ending is just bollocks really. The opening scenes of ME3 set the tone for the rest of the game and will have you on the edge of your seat. The ending scenes are also excellent.. but the actual ending does hit you quite off guard, like... "What?". An average 3 minute end to an awesome 50 hours is not a problem in my book.

ME2 is the best one, but ME3 is much better than ME1 in terms of gameplay (not story).
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I've played the first 4-5 hours of the game 2 or 3 times, but always get dragged away to other things. I'd like to go back to it someday.....I liked what I played enough each time.

Gut Out!
    [Deleted User]

What, me worry?

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Torval said:
    Gutlard said:
    I've played the first 4-5 hours of the game 2 or 3 times, but always get dragged away to other things. I'd like to go back to it someday.....I liked what I played enough each time.

Gut Out!
    I start playing the first few hours and get dragged away by other stuff too... shoving red hot pokers in my eyes, rolling over beds of razorblades, chugging salted vinegar, almost anything else.

I kid, but the games systems and shooting sure are clunky. It's like XCOM Enemy Within only clunkier. I'm going to try and play it again because I'd like to play the other two, but I must start out at the beginning or not play it at all.

If any game needed a revamp this is a prime candidate. Add QoL features, improve AI and the combat interface, and update engine and textures to modern standards.
    I'm the same way with needing to play games in order. So that's Mass Effect, Dragon Age, The Witcher, Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham series, etc....that I need to play still.

Friends say to just skip the early ones, but I bought the damn things already, so I might as well play them at some point.

I did try to play Elder Scrolls 1 & 2 though and just couldn't do it. I got 9 hours into Morrowind and got dragged away from that also.

I broke my rule and played Oblivion first, then Skyrim, and when I went back to 1-3 I just couldn't....

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,959
    Talking of dumbing down, Assassins Creed 2 to AC 3. Even 1 to 2 had some, but the difference between 2 and 3 is huge.

I do wonder when we get to AC 10 will I be able to get a dog to play it while I catch up on some TV series?
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    thunderC said:
    You need to play it. All that controversy about the ending is just bollocks really. The opening scenes of ME3 set the tone for the rest of the game and will have you on the edge of your seat. The ending scenes are also excellent.. but the actual ending does hit you quite off guard, like... "What?". An average 3 minute end to an awesome 50 hours is not a problem in my book.

ME2 is the best one, but ME3 is much better than ME1 in terms of gameplay (not story).
    The DLC in which Shepard gets an apartment, the office party as I call it, and the adventure they go on is definitely worth it. I often replay that content.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• techblogger911techblogger911 Member CommonPosts: 18
    Nice!! I was thinking of playing the trilogy again but never get the time to. 
    Octagon7711
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    What a great RPG.
    Octagon7711Gorwecheyane

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I've now finished the original ME trilogy, not for the first time but this is the only time I've played them back to back to back in a short space of time.

My impression is that even though the later games did have some interface and QOL improvements, IMO the first was the best. They just got progressively more and more guided into narrow action corridors.

It's funny because when I played SWTOR I had the same complaint about their misuse of the worlds and I always thought that was due to ME1... it wasn't, it's very much an ME2 kind of thing.

Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed the crap out of all 3 and it was fun having the previous games so fresh in my memory when I played a sequel. 

Now I'm on to a different walk down memory lane with a game I last played back in 2012: Kingdoms of Amalur - The Reckoning. Having lots of fun revisiting that one too. I still love those awesome Sorcerer Frisbees of Doom (chakrams)... such a unique magic user weapon.
    MadFrenchie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Loved the trilogy and replaying it a lot as different classes and saving the most team mates.  The only game I think I've revisited more has been Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey