Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Razer Huntsman Elite: Introducing Razer's New Flagship Keyboard - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageRazer Huntsman Elite: Introducing Razer's New Flagship Keyboard - MMORPG.com

When it comes to PC gaming accessories, there’s no one more well-known than Razer. Today marks the launch of their brand-new flagship gaming keyboard, the Razer Huntsman Elite. It features their brand new Opto-Mechanical switches, a multi-function dial, and some of the best lighting ever seen in a keyboard, but is it worth the premium price of $199? Find out in our official review.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    edited June 2018
    The multi-function dial and the wrist rest have to go... But $149 is still too pricey for a keyboard. At least in my budget. I'm not hurting and my wife says I need to spend more on PC stuff (since I work from home). But this just looks too frivolous an expense to stomach. edit: good review though -- it definitely sounded like an interesting concept.
  • HuntrezzHuntrezz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    One of the issues I have with every single keyboard I've owned is the lettering comes off of the following keys :WASD, I would love to get a gaming keyboard that doesn't cost a fortune where this would'nt be an issue.
  • LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Had a Roccat keyboard first, then the Corsair K90? Maybe it is called K70. Anyway, tested a Razer Ornata at a local Microcenter, havent gone back to my old keyboards, nor do I want to replace it. The wrist rest is so damn comfortable, and the key have a quick, but slightly tactile response that has made precision so much better in games. My personal recommendation.
  • MedownMedown Member UncommonPosts: 17

Huntrezz said:

One of the issues I have with every single keyboard I've owned is the lettering comes off of the following keys :WASD, I would love to get a gaming keyboard that doesn't cost a fortune where this would'nt be an issue.

In the blackwidow keyboard the lettering doesn't come off as they are inside the keycap and not painted on it. I think it is the same with this one.
    Huntrezz
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    ....at $199, it would be the second most expensive part of the computer I just built. No thanks.
  • JimbobausJimbobaus Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Yet another cheaply made overpriced razer gimmick ridden keyboard. I was given a Corsair keyboard a while back and haven’t loooked back. Retired and handed out my razer gear to friends and not one has survived. I don’t know why people are so obsessed. Razer stuff is awful.
    Siris23
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

Huntrezz said:

You can always reassign the keys you use.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    My keyboard has been looking shitty lately, Im in the market for a new one . My only requirement has always been a backlit one, Anyone feel these cherry keys or whatever they are called are the worth the huge price increase?
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    Another idiotic, overpriced keyboard where most of the money paid for are the brand and label associated with the keyboard. Worse that mmorpg.com gives them a top award for it which leads me to ask "how much money did Razer pay you in order to give them an award to this level?"

But jokes and insults aside,
    I like thinking outside of the box.

The keyboard I have used for years has been the Merc Keyboard.
    This keyboard has a left-side panel that I've used for my gaming for years.

Here is the google images link for it
    https://www.google.com/search?q=merc+keyboard&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS604US604&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjG4empifvbAhUHtlkKHatECuEQ_AUICygC&biw=1343&bih=1768

If you look closely to the left side, there are numbers in two rows going from 1 to 11, which allows for better control of MMORPGs and shooters. A lot less stress on the fingers while also being able to maintain movement through the WASD keys. The software allows remapping of keys like many keyboards allow.

The added bonus to this keyboard is the wear on it.
    I can safely wear the left side of the keyboard through serious gaming as it was built for it while not putting the main keyboard under so much stress. This doubling of keys allows for more longevity. Merc used to be Ideazon keyboards, but Ideazon was bought by Steelseries, and they sell the same model.

I pair this with a G600 mouse
    and that allows me to map everything in an MMORPG without ever having to point and click for anything.

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

Shinami said:

Another idiotic, overpriced keyboard where most of the money paid for are the brand and label associated with the keyboard. Worse that mmorpg.com gives them a top award for it which leads me to ask "how much money did Razer pay you in order to give them an award to this level?"

But jokes and insults aside,

I like thinking outside of the box.

The keyboard I have used for years has been the Merc Keyboard.

This keyboard has a left-side panel that I've used for my gaming for years.

Here is the google images link for it

https://www.google.com/search?q=merc+keyboard&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS604US604&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjG4empifvbAhUHtlkKHatECuEQ_AUICygC&biw=1343&bih=1768

If you look closely to the left side, there are numbers in two rows going from 1 to 11, which allows for better control of MMORPGs and shooters. A lot less stress on the fingers while also being able to maintain movement through the WASD keys. The software allows remapping of keys like many keyboards allow.

The added bonus to this keyboard is the wear on it.

I can safely wear the left side of the keyboard through serious gaming as it was built for it while not putting the main keyboard under so much stress. This doubling of keys allows for more longevity. Merc used to be Ideazon keyboards, but Ideazon was bought by Steelseries, and they sell the same model.

I pair this with a G600 mouse

and that allows me to map everything in an MMORPG without ever having to point and click for anything.

Because it's impossible that I may actually like this keyboard? I ding them on the keycaps but what else is there really to complain about? I'm happy you're happy with your out of production merc. Keep at at. But, it's pretty likely I've used and own WAY more keyboards than most people, and this is a very good one. The best Razer has ever made, easily. Is it worth $200? Is any? They're targeting the upper end already hit by their competition. It is what it is.
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Jimbobaus said:
    Yet another cheaply made overpriced razer gimmick ridden keyboard. I was given a Corsair keyboard a while back and haven’t loooked back. Retired and handed out my razer gear to friends and not one has survived. I don’t know why people are so obsessed. Razer stuff is awful.
    This, every Razer product I've ever owned has died within 6 months, switch to Corsair and never been happier - more reliable HW and SW that doesn't require you to login.
    darkwolfjay
  • darkwolfjaydarkwolfjay Member UncommonPosts: 16
    No macro keys is a no go for me. Can´t understand how some gaming keyboards are still produced without them.
  • oSnuggleBunnyooSnuggleBunnyo Member UncommonPosts: 3

Huntrezz said:

If you dont want to spend a large ammount, i suggest purchasing new keycaps, that work with your current keyboard and look for ones you like. a lot of keys now days a the lettering is injected in to the key caps. and shouldnt be rubbing off at all. if th e letters rub off then it was printed on the keys. look for injection or double shot inejection keys.
  • braamerbraamer Member UncommonPosts: 88

Huntrezz said:

You need to buy a keyboard with double-shot key-caps. I've had my CM Storm Quickfire TK for a few years, and there is no wear on the keys.
  • ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329
    I hope they make one of these without a num pad. I switched to a keyboard without a num pad a few years ago. I thought I'd miss having a full size keyboard, but it was easy to adjust my typing. The extra desk space is great.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    No macro keys is a no go for me. Can´t understand how some gaming keyboards are still produced without them.
    I never used the macro keys on my previous keyboard.  My MMO gaming mouse provides all the functionality I need.  I can literally map 36 keys to my right thumb through use modifier keys mapped around WASD to access the last 24, and I have extra buttons on the top of the mouse for things like PTT on my mic.  By macroing individual keys through the Razer app, then binding those keys to my mouse buttons, I can fire any macros I like with my right hand without removing my left from the WASD keys, though admittedly I don't do a lot of macroing (I'm not that competitive a gamer).

I just purchased the 2016 Edition Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, as it was on sale for 60 bucks and I don't really like to spend 100+ bucks on a keyboard.  Being the 2016 Edition, it uses the Cherry MX Blue mechanical switches.  I'm quite happy with it now, and the lettering shouldn't wear afaik (they're not painted colors, but transparent lettering that allows the lighting to shine through to highlight it), but I could be wrong there.

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

They get around macro keys with hypershift. Think of it like how you hold shift to hit the secondary characters on the number row. You assign a key to "hypershift" and then you can bind a macro to any key without losing any functionality or taking up more space on your desk.
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589

Samhael said:

The multi-function dial and the wrist rest have to go... But $149 is still too pricey for a keyboard. At least in my budget. I'm not hurting and my wife says I need to spend more on PC stuff (since I work from home). But this just looks too frivolous an expense to stomach.

edit: good review though -- it definitely sounded like an interesting concept.

Wrist rest is removable. That said it can help a lot for typing for extended periods etc.
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589

Because unless they are on the top of or the right side of the keyboard they are in an utterly trash position. The blackwidow in years past for instance (ie 2014 black widow ultimate) has macro keys, but the positioning is honestly terrible unless you type in the most uncomfortable positions possible.

From a fundamental usability standpoint macro keys as is done on most keyboards ends up leading to accidental presses at times, truncates the key sizes (key caps are usually slightly smaller as a result) and makes hand placement much more awkward for a good deal of people. It is why a lot of gaming keyboards go rid of the gimmicky as shit macro keys as they were quite literally useless for most people and the like.

Frankly I've found the whole concept of macro keys to be completely and utterly flawed to begin with. For the games you'd want macros in there is often ways to make your own macros or you can setup macros using a program that lets you do shortcuts. Frankly I find the inclusion of macro keys on most "gaming keyboards" to actually be problematic.
  • Crestian7841Crestian7841 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Long live the Merc Stealth! Stop posting stories about normal keyboards with RGB LED!!