Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ninendo

http://revolution.nintendo.com/ why did they change the name for? Wii is pretty dumb name.

gamertag - Swaffle House

Comments

• tigris67tigris67 Member UncommonPosts: 1,762
    Would you look at that...They DID change their name from Revolution to Wii. Interesting hehe. Apparently they like the sound of that better and also it can be recognizable by several other countries rather than being in only only the English tongue.

Hi! My name is paper. Nerf scissors, rock is fine.
    MMORPG = Mostly Men Online Roleplaying Girls
    http://www.MichaelLuckhardt.com

• PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646
    I can already imagine thousands of japanese teens running around screaming "Wii, Wii, Wii, Wiiiiiiiiiiiii!"

• GideonGideon Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Dumb name.. Agreed.

• DaEm0nDaEm0n Member Posts: 520

Although, the codename before "Revolution" was "On". So, it would be the "Nintendo On".

The console for this name was just a concept and it was WAAAAAY too high tech for it to be possible. Let's just say it was pretty much virtual reality.

Now, back to the topic: "Nintendo Wii" ? LOL

This siggy is CGI that my cousin made in 4 hours.

• OmegaLetOmegaLet Member Posts: 588
    To me it seems nintendo always has been screwin up lately.

Wii .....

what is this!?

• LeesusLeesus Member Posts: 183
    I thought the name Revolution was corny, but Wii? Common Nintendo.

• J_HurryJ_Hurry Member UncommonPosts: 230

Quite possibly the biggest blunder in videogame history. Even tops the Atari 2600 E.T. fiasco.

Worst. Name. Ever.

LGM Alchemist (Legendary Grandmaster)
  • sidebustersidebuster Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I don't know about you guys, but I am really looking forward to coming home at night after a hard days work. Taking off my shoes, playing with my Wii... All night long... I'll even invite some friends over to play with my Wii... ahhh yeah, I'll be getting into my Wii with both hands. Really jerking that Wii's stick around.. mmmhmmmm

That being said

I disapprove of the name and will continue calling it the revolution.

• tigris67tigris67 Member UncommonPosts: 1,762

To be honest, I think EVERYONE will keep calling the system the revolution and no one will use the name "Wii". Nintendo will most likely take the hint and if they are smart they will swallow their pride and change the name back.

Hi! My name is paper. Nerf scissors, rock is fine.
    MMORPG = Mostly Men Online Roleplaying Girls
    http://www.MichaelLuckhardt.com

• NeptusNeptus Member UncommonPosts: 988

Recently the kids I TA for in the highschool talk about nintendo going downhill. I heard this one kid say

"If nintendo screws up with this console, they're going to just start making games for the better consoles cause they're losing too much money."

I just wanted to smack him.
    Nintendo has enough money to last basically forever, even though WE US/CA and Europe are not big fans of Nintendo, go to Japan and talk crap about it.

Nintendo has made some bad choices in all but look at the stuff they make, even though the Gamecube doesn't have the games. I'm very impressed that, that small little box can hold almost the same or even more power than an xbox or ps2.

They still own the market in handhelds don't forget about that, Sony tried stealing that away with their fancy buggy @$$ psp. The thing is...., it may be more powerful but nobody really knows about it let me explain.

I am in a huge family, consisting of 10 aunts and 9 uncles, and I have 26 cousins. What's my point? Hold on...
    They are from the ages of 4-16, every year we all meet up in one area for a campout during the summer. Each one of my cousins has a handheld console, each one.

Last year, every cousin of mine brought a gameboy advance, this recent summer three had the new DS and the rest was still on advance, now for Christmas, each one of my cousins got a DS; except for one he got a PsP.

See what I'm saying? PsP may be more powerful but when adult non gamers think of handheld consoles they think straight to Nintendo because they made a name for themselves sooner than sony.

Nintendo will continue to gallop along side with us till we die folks, their decisions are rarely bad ones.

Neptus - FFXI - Pandemonium
    Neptus - WoW - Detheroc

• ...please tell me this is a leftover April Fool's joke. I'd rather blunder into my local game store and ask "I would like to preorder a Project Reality" than ask for this. Wii? It's like this console is just too hip to have an ordinary name. Can't they call it some abbreviation, like just...N. Think about it. N. Eh? N!

So the big consoles will be the Xbox, PS3, and the.....Wii? Wha? No, Wii.

To hell with it, I give up on console gaming. It's Us vs. Wii.

• slapme7timesslapme7times Member Posts: 436
    lol...

dont you think becoming  a slaving fanboi  is a little bit below you?

imagine this.

nintendo shifts to game development

miyamoto goes back to making games, what he's good at

nintendo gets to sell games to a huge audience.

we have to buy one less crappy console to play nintendo games

more time and effort goes into nintendo games

nintendo games get better

whats wrong with that?

--people who believe in abstinence are unsurprisingly also some of the ugliest most sexually undesired people in the world.--

• slapme7timesslapme7times Member Posts: 436

thats pretty faulty logic there.

nintendo has the handheld market.

nintendo does not have the console market.

nintendo makes great games

nintendo has no 3rd party support

revolution will get even less 3rd party support

people with multiple consoles are opting to buy ps2 or xbox title rather than the gc port according to game sales.

intendo loses money on it's consoles

nintendo makes money on it's games

nintendo makes money on it's handhelds.

i dont think you'll disagree with those last ones.

the goal of a company is to make money, and nintendo is stifling both it's earning capacity and creativity by plugging away at the console market.

I

love

nintendo.

why not release their games to a wider audience so more people can love them?

nintendos

consoles suck.

why not stop making them so they can make more profit off games?

nintendos

handhelds

are

populare

and

gold

mine

why not do what all other humans and successful businesses do? stick with what they do well.

look at the ipod.  it makes hugemoney, and it's just one product?

--people who believe in abstinence are unsurprisingly also some of the ugliest most sexually undesired people in the world.--

• Xerion12Xerion12 Member Posts: 371
    *slaps nintendo*  WII??!!

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

Originally posted by sidebuster

I don't know about you guys, but I am really looking forward to coming home at night after a hard days work. Taking off my shoes, playing with my Wii... All night long... I'll even invite some friends over to play with my Wii... ahhh yeah, I'll be getting into my Wii with both hands. Really jerking that Wii's stick around.. mmmhmmmm
    That being said

man that was one of the funniest posts here in a long long time......

but that name is bad and you proved how it can be twisted like that into nothing more then a joke.

which sadly at this point might resemble the revolutions library.....

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• WhatTheHeoWhatTheHeo Member Posts: 224

"Wii" what a ****ing stupid ass name for a console Revolution sounded way better

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928
    slapme7times, try to post like a competent person next time. Also, you say the Wii will have "even less 3rd party support". You are obviously posting blind, and im not talking about your format. The 1st game announced for the system was a 3rd party game, Red Steel by Ubisoft.

In several press releases, interviews, road shows, annoucements, whatever, Nintendo has stated they have alot of 3rd party support this time around, and their is even a detailed list of companies that signed on with Nintendo the very second the rev controler was revealed, its an older news topic on Gamespot, and im sure other sites, and im also sure the list has grown since then.

Judging a console by its name is like judging a book by its cover, or a game by its graphics.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• OrccOrcc Member Posts: 3,043

Originally posted by sidebuster

That being said

This made me

On topic, when my friend told me the name had been changed I thought it was a joke. A very, bad, joke.

• EliteMarineEliteMarine Member Posts: 155

i just got the new nintendo power magazine and they did not change the name

-

Currently playing:wow/war

Retired:,runescape,swg,
    everquest2,lotro

• HocheteHochete Member CommonPosts: 1,210

Wii is indeed the worst name ever chosen for a console. We've done nothing but joke about it all week at work.... "would you like to come play with my wii? (prenounced wee)", "hey mark, hows your wii lately?", "you smell of wii! (if somebody smells of ... well plasticy stuff)", "your wii is awesome, i wanna have a wii too".........

why god WHY would they name it such a thing?!

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

To me, Wii sound just like Why!

WHY!  That would be the last name I would give to my product.    I find this funny however...why wii? 

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• This is actually a clever marketing ploy. No one can badmouth the system without looking idiotic. "Wii is so stupid. Wii is underpowered. Wii is ugly." Everyone will think a critic is insulting themself with really bad grammar.

Wii is going to have some hot competition from that new French console, Oui.

So when the current round of next generation consoles become dated, and developers are making new, even more powerful consoles, what will Nintendo call theirs? Wii squared? Perhaps Wii Wii? Wii3?

I can't think of any more stupid jokes. This is the most horrible console name ever devised. ColecoVision sounds cutting edge next to it. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go play my Lynx while my brother hogs the CD-i.

3DO pwnz Wii.

• XxJessomexXXxJessomexX Member Posts: 29
    Two things Occoriding to Nindeno Touching is good like what the hell but other then that Nindeno is runnig out of ideas really baddly, like so as a Nindeno "MICRO" its a verison of a smaller gameboy. Make that three things,( But Nindeno does have very good game systems and do take you away from your life at times.