Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Dark, Supernatural Phenomenon Known as The Hunger Detailed - Crowfall - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageThe Dark, Supernatural Phenomenon Known as The Hunger Detailed - Crowfall - MMORPG.com

Crowfall News - The Crowfall site has an exciting new article that details one of the game's most exciting features: The Hunger. "The Hunger is a dark, supernatural phenomenon of unknown origins" the post reads. "It spreads across the land like a pox - a nocturnal disease that affects the land, the trees and every living creature it touches."

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Shadowbane's strongest mechanic was providing things to fight over. This seems to continue the trend!
    JamesGoblindjnj2000
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462

Torval said:

So how does it affect player characters?

As in playing in a Hunger zone? I think it slowly kills you over time.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2018
    Torval said:

Torval said:

I didn't get that at all from the Crowfall article. I got the impression they're a form of dynamic event like Blueturtle said. That phrasing was even used in the final paragraph. At no point did it say the even will kill you over time. Do you have an article source for that?

The events are periodic with increasing frequency (and intensity?) as the world draws towards its own seasonal Armageddon.
    That's where he's getting it kills the character I think.  Your Crowfall vessel will die with the world to the Hunger.  At least, I think that's right.
    JamesGoblin

Torval said:
    Torval said:

Torval said:

I didn't get that at all from the Crowfall article. I got the impression they're a form of dynamic event like Blueturtle said. That phrasing was even used in the final paragraph. At no point did it say the even will kill you over time. Do you have an article source for that?

The events are periodic with increasing frequency (and intensity?) as the world draws towards its own seasonal Armageddon.
    That's where he's getting it kills the character I think.  Your Crowfall vessel will die with the world to the Hunger.  At least, I think that's right.
    Where did you get that? I don't see it mentioned or hinted at anywhere in the article. Is there another dev blog somewhere?
    From what I understand, you enter certain worlds through the vessel.  That's how your "crow" interacts with any given world.  I could be wrong, but I thought that was kinda the point: the vessels are expendable, only your crow persists the death of each realm due to the Hunger.
    JamesGoblin

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

Torval said:

Where did you get that? I don't see it mentioned or hinted at anywhere in the article. Is there another dev blog somewhere?
    From what I understand, you enter certain worlds through the vessel.  That's how your "crow" interacts with any given world.  I could be wrong, but I thought that was kinda the point: the vessels are expendable, only your crow persists the death of each realm due to the Hunger.
    This is correct. Every world succumbs to the Hunger. Its like a plague, spreading, escalating until it destroys a world, you can only delay it while it grows in power. It is a timer in gameplay form, quite clever. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    JamesGoblinMadFrenchie
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Yeah to me it sounds like Rifts.The possible hunger shard rewards value?Who knows,i see some stats involved but not sure how those stats actually work.
    The perception stat might seem best to see a stealth but if i am playing a pvp game,i most certainly don't want to see stealth used EVER.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Torval said:
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

Torval said:

Yes, but you don't die from it until the world "ends". It's not like you get the infection. The event happens many times all over the world until that point the server season is closed. It comes, you drive it back, harvest/loot the event materials. It must be driven back from areas affected (like a Rift) or you can't harvest or interact with the world normally.

The PR piece is selling something scary and ominous. "A vile infection that effects all living things" except it doesn't. It's not really scary. It's just an event state players need to exploit for resources complete the cycle (drive back) in order to interact normally in the zone. Eventually these will get more frequent and larger until the server ending event.

I see a repeated behavior pattern with PR and games. A feature for an upcoming MMO is wildly oversold leading to higher expectations and hype and greater disappointment and backlash when players realize it's pretty much the same thing they've experienced, it's manageable, and not even remotely as threatening as it was billed as. Nothing good comes from overselling features.
    True enough.  The only true connection afaik is that the vessel for that world goes with the world once it dies in its entirety.  However, I don't think vessels persist even regular deaths, either (could be wrong there).  So technically if you die to a hunger-affected creature, you could claim a connection.  But again, it's not really that there's any infection that affects your character, as you say, it's a death like any other in an MMORPG, except vessels are more akin to gear you lose upon death (at least, that's what I seem to be taking away from what I've read).
    [Deleted User]

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462

Torval said:

Torval said:

In some of the streams I watched on Twitch that if players were caught in the Hunger field they would slowly die over time. Could have been just a game mode going on at the time.. I could be mistaken.
    [Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    All this article seems to have done is increase the hunger for more details. :)
    JamesGoblin
  • tinnistinnis Member UncommonPosts: 41
    edited June 2018

Torval said:

indirectly:

- un-harvestable resource nodes in an area [including food sources - as players get increasingly punishing debuffs when they are hungry]

- more numerous and deadlier creatures in an area

- hunger shards are impactful optional reagents for crafting gear and also required to start a siege window on an enemy keep

see also their other recent update on season shifts https://crowfall.com/en/news/articles/the-winds-of-change/
    JamesGoblin[Deleted User]
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Torval said:

Torval said:

Torval said:

Torval said:

Yes, but you don't die from it until the world "ends". It's not like you get the infection. The event happens many times all over the world until that point the server season is closed. It comes, you drive it back, harvest/loot the event materials. It must be driven back from areas affected (like a Rift) or you can't harvest or interact with the world normally.

The PR piece is selling something scary and ominous. "A vile infection that effects all living things" except it doesn't. It's not really scary. It's just an event state players need to exploit for resources complete the cycle (drive back) in order to interact normally in the zone. Eventually these will get more frequent and larger until the server ending event.

I see a repeated behavior pattern with PR and games. A feature for an upcoming MMO is wildly oversold leading to higher expectations and hype and greater disappointment and backlash when players realize it's pretty much the same thing they've experienced, it's manageable, and not even remotely as threatening as it was billed as. Nothing good comes from overselling features.

Or you completely misunderstand the point. The point is not for the hunger to kill you directly, it's to further strain resources in a PvP environment. To provide yet another reason to fight over something, a PvEvP scenario if you will.

It also makes the roaming mobs more dangerous by powering them up. It was never intended to be a Battle-Royale style ever-shrinking eye of a closing storm.
    [Deleted User]JamesGoblin
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    Torval said:
    tinnis said:

Torval said:

indirectly:

- un-harvestable resource nodes in an area [including food sources - as players get increasingly punishing debuffs when they are hungry]

- hunger shards are impactful optional reagents for crafting gear and also required to start a siege window on an enemy keep

see also their other recent update on season shifts https://crowfall.com/en/news/articles/the-winds-of-change/
    Right, which is why I think they should be careful about overselling this and features like it. It doesn't actually affect every living thing directly like they imply. It's not super scary. It's a dynamic event.

Studios and publishers should be underselling, if anything, and let the players themselves sell the features and aspects they love. It's how an enduring community is built.

All this does is bring out the white knights to explain how people aren't getting it. But come post launch the people will castigate it like they do every other MMO that over promises. Gamers already build unrealistic expectations given straight forward facts. When given vague hype, it is worse.

Dynamic features are good in MMOs. We need more of that because traditional MMOs are so static. But the warning isn't criticizing the feature but how this and other indie mmos are pumping hype to keep interest alive. I think it will backfire. People are oversaturated with bullshit right now. It's something to consider is all.
    I don't think they are trying to hype it up. I've been following the game since day 1 and that just isn't their style. But they are very much into the lore and this article plays into that. I don't see the issue. This isn't sponsored content. This is stuff Artcraft puts out to their backers twice a week. It isn't meant to be a sales pitch.
    lahnmirJamesGoblin
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Torval said:

I have been saying this for years, but when that fact is pointed out (in any game)... some fans get very upset about "attacks on their game" of choice.   We are the enablers.  It's only going to get worse until WE force a change.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Torval said:
    tinnis said:

Torval said:

indirectly:

Right, which is why I think they should be careful about overselling this and features like it. It doesn't actually affect every living thing directly like they imply. It's not super scary. It's a dynamic event.

Studios and publishers should be underselling, if anything, and let the players themselves sell the features and aspects they love. It's how an enduring community is built.

All this does is bring out the white knights to explain how people aren't getting it. But come post launch the people will castigate it like they do every other MMO that over promises. Gamers already build unrealistic expectations given straight forward facts. When given vague hype, it is worse.

Dynamic features are good in MMOs. We need more of that because traditional MMOs are so static. But the warning isn't criticizing the feature but how this and other indie mmos are pumping hype to keep interest alive. I think it will backfire. People are oversaturated with bullshit right now. It's something to consider is all.
    My opinion on this matter is that these kinds of content and lore drip feeds are a necessity. They maintain community interest over a long development cycle.

Moreover, I think that articles like these are justified. A feature doesn't have to be overwhelming or insurmountable to pose a challenge to the player or to convey a world-changing decay. 

The Hunger is interesting because it is a lore-defining phenomenon which justifies the game's very concept of seasonally resetting PvP worlds of various rulesets (the most dangerous and anarchic rulesets occuring on worlds closest to the Hunger's epicenter). It spreads slowly and causes some increase in ambient danger and resource strain. That's all it really needs to do from a lore and gameplay perspective. Hell, I would argue that perhaps that is all it should do. Even if it is only a slight increase in risk vs. reward, that will reflect in the more hardcore PvP'ers congregating in areas corrupted by the Hunger.

JamesGoblin
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Torval said:

I have been saying this for years, but when that fact is pointed out (in any game)... some fans get very upset about "attacks on their game" of choice.   We are the enablers.  It's only going to get worse until WE force a change.

Although I agree with both of you I really don't think Crowfall is a big offender. They need to keep interest high but I don't think they are hyping anything, they're just enthusiastic if anything.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    JamesGoblinSlapshot1188
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    lahnmir said:
    Torval said:

Although I agree with both of you I really don't think Crowfall is a big offender. They need to keep interest high but I don't think they are hyping anything, they're just enthusiastic if anything.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I agree
    JamesGoblin

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited June 2018
    Torval said:

Agreed, even the most objectively poor efforts get folks who want to deride or downplay owed criticisms.

Confirmation bias is a strong thing.  No one is immune though some manage it better than others.  @Iselin, as an example, seems well able to set aside his overall opinion of a game to point out flaws when they are present.

It doesn't mean one isn't a fan, nor does it mean a game, overall, isn't enjoyable.  It just means that the game isn't perfect, and acting as if it is does a disservice to the game, the devs who may not see the flaw immediately due to their being so close to the development, and to other gamers who like to consider peer opinion when perusing for a buy.
    JamesGoblin

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Don't think that the player shells are going to get snuffed at the campaign end.  At least not without advance warning.   Necromantic shell manipulation is a skill, and you'll likely be able to boost, add to, and trade bodies.  Of course, some campaigns are going to have stricter rules as to what can be brought in, and what can go back out, so it might be specific to certain instances.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.