Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Next OW Hero a Rolling Mech-Using....Hamster Named Hammond - Overwatch - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageNext OW Hero a Rolling Mech-Using....Hamster Named Hammond - Overwatch - MMORPG.com

Overwatch News - It seems that Overwatch's next hero isn't going to be a gorilla as many had opined. Instead, the Overwatch Twitter has revealed what seems to be a rolling mech-using...hamster. Yes...you read it right.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• donpadrexdonpadrex Member UncommonPosts: 46
    edited June 2018
    Weired..pleasently weired...like the idea of an rolling ball of death piloted by an hamster. Makes me wonder what kind of crazy backstory he will have.
  • 6stack_Chris6stack_Chris Member UncommonPosts: 118
    In the end, it is all about the pew pew.

I find my self less concerned about it being a hamster and more interested in abilities and how this will shift the meta, if at all.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

I find my self less concerned about it being a hamster and more interested in abilities and how this will shift the meta, if at all.
    I wonder if he'll have similarish things to D.Va with the ability to bump characters around and so forth or if he'll be a ROLLING BALL OF DEATH & DESTRUCTION instead of a tank? :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    BOO! oh wait you're not the real Boo.... FAKE BOO!!!!!!
    SBFord
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    That's a fun new hero, I want to try it out!
  • 6stack_Chris6stack_Chris Member UncommonPosts: 118

SBFord said:

I wonder if he'll have similarish things to D.Va with the ability to bump characters around and so forth or if he'll be a ROLLING BALL OF DEATH & DESTRUCTION instead of a tank? :D

I'm thinking his/her ULTIMATE is going to be just like Chen's (From Heroes of the Storm) Keg Roll Ult. It will give the Shell some extra armor and allow you to plow into enemies and break up their lines while gaining either a couple seconds of invulnerability or a really high shield.

The look of this character screams bruiser.
    SBFord
  • PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Hamtaro ? LUL
    SBFordthighhighs

l2p

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    The intro video leaves me to believe the rolling is likely more of a dash that provides defense/mobility/escape, and the walker mode is likely a slower movement speed that allows him to fire his guns.

The ultimate might have something to do with the "eye" in the middle, I wouldn't be surprised if that had some kind of laser weaponry associated with it. It'll be interesting to see what they've come up with.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Looks like a Chua ran away from the sunken ship that is Wildstar.
    djnj2000SBFord
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    Hamtaro!!
    SBFord

Hopefully he's not huge, as his critbox is likely in the center of the mech.  If he's at all comparable to D.Va, Hanzo will eat him for breakfast every single time.

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388

Hopefully he's not huge, as his critbox is likely in the center of the mech.  If he's at all comparable to D.Va, Hanzo will eat him for breakfast every single time.

I'm hoping he's Torb-sized with a soldiers sprint+D.VA boop ability combined (and maybe a little lucio wall ride thrown in)
    edited June 2018
    So watched some gameplay on PTR...  He has 600 base health, looks like approx 10% of which is armored.

His E creates a 100HP shield, meaning he can buff to a 700 total HP by himself.

The ball is a mobility thing, as suspected, allowing him to travel faster than the spider mode.  His ult throws out mines over a large area, good for saturating objective areas.

The part I'm unconvinced about is his third ability, which launches a grappling hook that tethers him to a wall or ceiling.  From here, in ball form, he can swing around like a wrecking ball, gaining momentum that then can be used to knock around enemies.  It looked unwieldy in the video.  One of the best uses might be to quickly swing him into position to convert to spider mode, as the guns seem to be deadly accurate, extremely high rate of fire, and an 80 round clip.  I have a feeling this might be tuned down as there's almost zero spread and it can deliver a lot of damage in a short amount of time (seems like higher skill players would decimate 200HP heroes with it way too fast and at too long a range).

As I said, I'm unconvinced of the efficacy of the wrecking ball feature.  The PTR shows that hitting other surfaces will stop your momentum, and there's no way to lengthen or shorten the tether once attached.  Jumping will remove the tether.

edited June 2018
    Oh, and it appears to be yet another mechanic that will be heavily used to get environment kills.  As if Hog pulling into pits, Lucio having a low-CD knockback, Pharah having a knockback, Winston having an ult knockback, Brigette having a knockback, Junkrat having a knockback/knockup, Doomfist having knockup/knockback, and D.Va having a knockback wasn't enough already.  :|

EDIT- oh wait, Orisa having a pull, too.  So, like, half the friggin' cast.

He talks about Hammond's abilities :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Origin story

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    Can someone wake me up when a new character that is not cute, colourful and child friendly is announced for any game in the world. ZZZZZZ zzzzz ZZZZ zzzz.
    I don't mind that they used a hamster.  The wrecking ball will likely provide an easy way to defend/attack objectives with little skill, however.

Take the payload maps.  Once the payload goes under a roofed area, just grab Hammond and Mercy, thether above the payload, and proceed to swing back and forth knocking attackers away over and over and over and over.  Couple that with Mercy heals, and it'll be a super frustrating defense to play against because they don't actually have to take anyone out, he can just swing back and forth knocking folks away from the payload.  Conversely, it will likely be nigh useless in some instances due to clipping walls or other terrain that halt his momentum.

We'll see how it shakes out.  I'm not a huge fan of adding more knock/pull CC.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852
    So watched some gameplay on PTR...  He has 600 base health, looks like approx 10% of which is armored.

The ball is a mobility thing, as suspected, allowing him to travel faster than the spider mode.  His ult throws out mines over a large area, good for saturating objective areas.

The part I'm unconvinced about is his third ability, which launches a grappling hook that tethers him to a wall or ceiling.  From here, in ball form, he can swing around like a wrecking ball, gaining momentum that then can be used to knock around enemies.  It looked unwieldy in the video.  One of the best uses might be to quickly swing him into position to convert to spider mode, as the guns seem to be deadly accurate, extremely high rate of fire, and an 80 round clip.  I have a feeling this might be tuned down as there's almost zero spread and it can deliver a lot of damage in a short amount of time (seems like higher skill players would decimate 200HP heroes with it way too fast and at too long a range).

As I said, I'm unconvinced of the efficacy of the wrecking ball feature.  The PTR shows that hitting other surfaces will stop your momentum, and there's no way to lengthen or shorten the tether once attached.  Jumping will remove the tether.
    His shield is based on the number of enemies around him.

Using the grapling hook as a wrecking ball is awkward. Think this is an ability much better suited to an analog stick than keyboard buttons.

The guns have a bit of spread to them. At long long range its very noticeable.

His fourth ability, the crash, is on left ctrl which is difficult to hit in frantic situations and needs some height to be available, seems about 5 meters. No way to change the button on it options but Im guessing that will be fixed.

None of his alternate outfits are in.
    MadFrenchie
    edited June 2018
    Xiaoki said:

His shield is based on the number of enemies around him.

Using the grapling hook as a wrecking ball is awkward. Think this is an ability much better suited to an analog stick than keyboard buttons.

The guns have a bit of spread to them. At long long range its very noticeable.

His fourth ability, the crash, is on left ctrl which is difficult to hit in frantic situations and needs some height to be available, seems about 5 meters. No way to change the button on it options but Im guessing that will be fixed.

None of his alternate outfits are in.
    From the gameplay video I watched, it seems to have less spread than Bastion's gun in turret mode.  It's also got a high rate of fire.  It will be deadly against flankers, which may be the intent, as he isn't very mobile while using it.  However, it seems strange considering they intentionally added spread to D.Va's guns despite her being equally immoble while firing (unless she uses jets, which is also her only escape) and did the same for Roadhog.  Having it be that accurate at short-medium range will render a hero like Soldier unable to do anything but dive for cover.  It will also be incredibly oppressive to a hero like Pharah.

He's not a main tank; he doesnt have the hard CC to do that job nor a way to protect allies aside from body-blocking.  He's the 2nd Tank in the vein of Roadhog.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Of course it's a hamster, because apparently originality at Blizzard is now a pink slip offense. Because people use hamsters for guinea pigs all the time . . . oh wait, a guinea pig is an actually animal they do tests on . . . but they unfortunately haven't been featured in tons of movies like hamsters have . . . to tough luck!
    Boo! Just booo Blizzard!
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Oh, I love the hamster idea! Great joke, and another Furry character! Sounds like more fun, more zany chaos on the battlefield, more distance from the plain-vanilla FPS games that MOBAs seem to have evolved from. Should be fun to play. Might be taken over by people who have the equipment or dexterity to work wonders with swinging around using that grapple. I look forward to trying this new addition, although I think I'll probably go back to D.Va for my favorite tank. And " It will also be incredibly oppressive to a hero like Pharah"? NOOOOoooo! she's already too vulnerable -- at least to teams with one or two players who look up...
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    *clears throat* I CAME IN LIKE A WRECKING BALL!

I'm not sorry.
    MadFrenchieDavodtheTutt
  • jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    edited June 2018
    Well now that they spilled the beans on a new hero for OW, it leaves more room for a new Diablo game announcement at Blizzcon!