Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion Worlds: Major Strategy Shift - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageTrion Worlds: Major Strategy Shift - MMORPG.com

Trion Worlds recently purchased Gazillion Entertainment and are now taking major steps that could offer a viable path to market for indie projects. Red Thomas weighs in on the business move and what it might mean for the industry moving forward.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Ungood

Comments

• KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233
    This is perhaps a familiar strategy for Trion (on a different scale for sure) if we remember back to the launch of Glyph and the Indie titles that came with it. I was sad to see it end as there are so many awesome Indie titles, I also enjoyed getting items in Trion titles for those games.

So this is great news and I wish all parties the best of luck.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    No matter of ecosystem and unlike movies and books - good MMORPGs require a lot of attempts to create, including engines and gameplay. Examples: Ultima was #8 game in the series, DAoC was #14 game for the studio, WoW was # 5 (or 8 if you count Diablo). The rest were half-baked raw products which took 3-5 years to achieve anything close to finished/complete state - like LotRO had a gap in quest progression for at least two years after release (you had to grind mobs).

Game devs just cannot release good products from first try even when all they have to do is to copy others' product. For example check Dauntless which isn't even fun most of the time despite devs having Monster Hunter World gameplay right under their nose.
    Scot

Thank you for your time!

• redrain84redrain84 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    All I read was no Marvel Heroes 2016 revival.
    Red_ThomasTruvidien88marganculossschruppMrMelGibson
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

redrain84 said:

All I read was no Marvel Heroes 2016 revival.

Loved that game... :-(
    Truvidien88Tokken[Deleted User]mmolousschrupp

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I so want Marvel Heroes back. /tear
    etharnTokkenmmolousschrupp
  • SolancerSolancer Member UncommonPosts: 121
    In my opinion, the ppl working for Trion is on par with a rock, those ppl have no clue how to sell a game product. They tried everything to cheat players of their money rather than what can player get out of playing YOUR LAME company games instead of someone else. IT's really not rocket science, STOP your anti-fun concept of pay wall in everything. If ppl are not invested in your game for the long run then your game life is shorten to 3 months to 2 years at most like MOST mmo games.

For the most part WoW been around for a long time, the secret might be only one game at a time instead of a lot of them. They don't want their own games to compete with oneself and it seemingly working for WoW. If you have to ask, I'll say when was the last time they release a NEW MMORPG O_o??? The facts are game company just want a fast turn over games instead of long term. It always wiser to sell stuff for long period than a fast quick buck in gaming. Today's games are far more complex than the early days of endless runner or jumping games.
    StranaX-MarK
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    How is this better, from the Indie company point of view, then using steam to launch their games? They seem to be offering a lot more support, not just a platform to find customers, but how much will they charge for that extra help?
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

How is this better, from the Indie company point of view, then using steam to launch their games? They seem to be offering a lot more support, not just a platform to find customers, but how much will they charge for that extra help?

Thing with this as well is that Trion will still plug whatever project through steam, meaning the indie team will get even less than just dealing with steam directly. However, dealing with Trion first could potentially increase the likelihood that their product will be featured on steam. So its a tough call.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Ummm NO,,hell NO.

First of all we went through this Glyph nonsense,yeah yeah,market it ,advertise it like something great,well it's NOT.
    I don't blame Trion for marketing their ideals,they need to make money and are running a business,but who in their right mind would come to Trion to help launch a game?
    Trion like so many botched up Rift with que ue's,why have testing and see millions interested only to NOT be ready?They published AA,they botched that up as well.
    They were making a military game and because of money or lack of know how ,botched that u pas well.How abotu this big marketing idea of game alongside movie/tv series,yeah great idea,we should make millions from this..../not.

A few years back they were contemplating sales/shares because they were hurting for money.
    So it all seems like a pretty shotty business to me and now buying anotehr shotty business,seems odd.So my thoughts on it all?I feel they got some investor interested in all of this who inserted some money into Trion.They are trying to APPEAR like a big operation,similar to Blizzard or Square Enix.

Bottom line,looking at as a typical gamer...just give me QUALITY games,NOT these cheap Trove offerings,AR and defiance,all pretty weak games.Then they published that other pile of junk that 99% of the gamer's knew was rubbish but THIS SITE was too afraid to admit the truth.I don't even remember the game,i am sure did not come close to the contract length and never made any money either before folding up shop.So what does that tell me,well it says Trion will take on ANYTHING similar to how Steam is now operating,no care for integrity or quality,just anything to make a $$$.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    Steam doesn't do most of what Trion's offering.   Steam is basically a hosting/commercialization service, and that's about it.  They take a cut of your sale in exchange for putting your product on their storefront.  Effectively, Steam is a lot closer to Amazon.

This would be more like....  Maybe a band manager.  That guy doesn't just sell your CDs, he also coordinates other merch, sets up gigs at various venues, contacts various producers to shop your music, also cold-calls radio stations to get them to play your music (not that this piece of it is really relevant anymore).   They'll also find graphics design guys to handle your imagery, social media folks to run those campaigns, scouts among song-writers for good material, and tons of other things. 

Band managers and Walmart aren't the same in the same way that Steam and Trion's ecosystem as a service aren't the same.  They obviously have some overlap, and Steam is a viable alternative for many parts of what Trion is offering, but it's not the same by a long shot.
    MadFrenchieKyleranitchmonMYTHGuy
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I would like a Destiny/Anthem style shooter/beat em up with the Marvel franchise where you can create your own hero ala CoH.  The limitations on the number of heroes you will play with at a time will keep it from seeming awkward, and the additional resources that can be put into the visual fidelity, world interactivity, and power sets due to the limitations on the number of player actors on screen at any given time would make it an incredibly visceral experience that could truly evoke the power of being a superhero.

I can dream, at least.
    Tokken

• DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Trion bought Gazillion because Rift has become such a failure. They needed to invest in some games already made by another developer because their developers are terribad.
    RidelynnTokkenKyleran
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    edited June 2018
    ArchAge could have been good.... I enjoyed it for what it was.. Despite the fact that I sunk hundreds of dollars into a "free to play" game and still didn't stand a chance against the real no life whales. I honestly cannot imagine how much money some people sunk into that game.

I am all for supporting a developer. But when money allows players that much of an advantage its hard to stand behind them. That and I started getting random charges from Trion 3 years later. Which was swell.

The company is a sinking ship with a bad reputation. Most people avoid their games for obvious reasons...
    A ) They are bad.
    B ) Trion.

So screw it, let it burn.
    Viper482StranaSolancer
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    Entertaining as slamming Trion may be to some, the decisions they have made for their own games you may not like have nothing to do with how well they can perform these services for other game providers.

As far as Marvel Heroes returning due to this acquisition, I think it more likely if a game were to come of this it would be based on a IP of their own making, so Trion would have direct and sole control of it.
    KyleranRed_Thomas
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Trion hasn't pioneered anything since the early days of Rift!

When I saw that title "Trion Worlds: Major Strategy Shift" I almost thought " Hmmmm I wonder if they mean that Trion is no longer using the Pay-To-Win model for their games!"
    Viper482Samhael
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Trion hasn't pioneered anything since the early days of Rift!

When I saw that title "Trion Worlds: Major Strategy Shift" I almost thought " Hmmmm I wonder if they mean that Trion is no longer using the Pay-To-Win model for their games!"
    Naw, that title would be "Trion Reinvents the Wheel!!!" 

:)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Whatever happens you can bet all your money on it that Trion will screw it up.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    They can make a whole development backbone for indie publishers but they cant make a subscription only AA server?
    X-MarK

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    itchmon said:
    They can make a whole development backbone for indie publishers but they cant make a subscription only AA server?
    AA is not their game.
    and they aleady fucked with it so there is nothing else to save
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    The article title excited me as I was not aware that Trion had a strategy.
    sschrupp[Deleted User]Joseph_Kerr
  • RegnorRegnor Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Conceptually, it's an interesting shift that has some potential to help take some almost-good products across the finish line. But I'd be surprised to see Trion pull it off. There's a reason they have such a bad reputation. Yes, it's true that AA is not their game; they're constrained by decisions made by Jake Song, but you only have to look at how they've handled the few things that their AA partnership agreement did give them the power over (e.g., the cash shop) to see how had they are at decision making in the mutual interest of their customers and shareholders.

Sorry, but I'm writing this off as another desperate attempt to re-invent themselves. AA may be one of the greatest games ever ruined by greed. Astonishingly bad management.
    X-MarK

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Regardless of what they do you can always count on their unfriendly consumer practices to be front and center. These days I pass on anything Trion.
    X-MarK
  • Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited June 2018
    well not defending trion but they have made leaps n bounds when it comes to cash shop items look at the soon to be re-release of defiance - defiance 2050 totally freeto play and everything in cash shop is cosmetic, would i trust them with marvel heroes yes as long as they bring it back as it was were players could grind for splinters to get new chars at least but have all costumes as cosmetic purchases. im fine with exp pots n others of that ilk as long as they are not game breaking (which wasnt the case when gazillion had it).
    Thing is i wouldnt mind paying like £30 quid (if they brought players saves back that be a bonus too)to have all chars opened with their accompanied stash and a few random costume boxes, it would be a great starter for newbies n veterans alike, and quick cash for trion and possibly to regain some positive reputation.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

well not defending trion but they have made leaps n bounds when it comes to cash shop items look at the soon to be re-release of defiance - defiance 2050 totally freeto play and everything in cash shop is cosmetic, would i trust them with marvel heroes yes as long as they bring it back as it was were players could grind for splinters to get new chars at least but have all costumes as cosmetic purchases. im fine with exp pots n others of that ilk as long as they are not game breaking (which wasnt the case when gazillion had it).

Thing is i wouldnt mind paying like £30 quid (if they brought players saves back that be a bonus too)to have all chars opened with their accompanied stash and a few random costume boxes, it would be a great starter for newbies n veterans alike, and quick cash for trion and possibly to regain some positive reputation.

Welcome to the boards!

I liked MH myself, but was not totally sold on it, CoH rather spoiled us when it came to supers MMOs. Being able to play a favourite Marvel hero was great, but when you see so many playing your guy next to you it got a bit silly. :)

Maybe one day Marvel will get what it deserves, a MMORPG similar in gameplay to CoH, where you play a hero you create in the Marvel Universe.
    Red_ThomasKyleran