Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whale Watching

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
edited June 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
1) What's the most $$$$$ you have ever spent in a game outside of buying the box and monthly fees.

2) Also, what's the aggregate you've put into all your games excluding monthly and box costs.

3) Where do you draw the line in terms of too much?

Answer:

1) I think for me, outside of Entropia which is its own category. I think I spent $50-150 each in runes of magic, Neverwinter, and EVE. 
For Entropia it is probably $3-3.5k but I am making $10 per month off Entropia and if I were to liquidate all my stuff in Entropia, i'd get back about $2k, 

2) Aggregate is probably $3k-4k max spanning the past 10 years, In which, I could probably recoup half of it from Entropia alone. Not including Entropia, it is probably $400-500 over 3 games and 10 years. 

. . . oh crap . . . I forgot PoE, even though I don't really count that, because i'm not P2W, i am just paying to support them, but that's about $150 over 1100 hours and 4 years of playing. So we'll come up with an aggregate of $600 for non-entropia games. 

3) Naturally, my line would probably be at about the $500. If you spend more than $500 on a game outside of box/monthly fee then I find that to be ridiculous. Then again, I'm pretty sure quite a few posters will be like, $.01 is too much. 

Cryomatrix

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
ZoeMcCloskey

Comments

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Excluding DLC I have spent less than 100 dollars in my lifetime. Some money spent on mobile comes from survey money.  
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Hm, I don't spend much on a cash shop usually. But probably Black Desert till I realized it was a rip off and quit. A few costumes, and some pets...but mostly costume shit added up. 

Generally. I spend a lot more on steam games (even though I wait for sales lol) than I do MMO cash shops. Unless I get suckered into it like BDO, I fell for that one good :(

Entropia I've put in 120 dollars so far on moon deeds of arkadia. Which is actually already close to what I paid for BDO almost cash shop wise (BDO I think came to be 200 dollars or so). But I see Entropia more as an "investment" and you get back stuff on it "potentially". Plus when I do play, the community is really nice and friendly. And there is very few sci-fi MMO games that are on LAND, almost all are in space.

But, kinda like OP, I consider Entropia a bit different in money wise.

Funny thing though with BDO...I do my best to avoid pay to win cash shops as much as possible...BDO was far more underhanded and sneaky in how they designed the game around the cash shop. "Damn why loot so slow. Why do the bodies keep disappearing before I loot them all. Guess get some pets and speed it up and dont miss loot" things like that. but I guess was too blinded since was enjoying the game sorta.

BDO cash shop imo was worse than archeage cash shop...at least with archeage you knew exactly what you were getting and knew what it was like going in the game...a pay to win cash shop. Those are super easy (at least for me) to completely ignore. Heck I've played pay to win games, and still enjoyed them by ignoring the cash shop. Not exactly sure what made BDO different, except maybe in the game design itself or maybe it was my mind of thinking when playing BDO.
    Cryomatrix[Deleted User]ZoeMcCloskey

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    For cash shops total I think my total is probably around $200. I bought a mount and couple pets in WoW. Maybe like $5 in SWTOR, and the rest on ESO crowns.

Spent the most in ESO so far as far as cash shops go.

Game I've spent the most on ever, including box prices and sub fees is definitely WoW... It has to be somewhere around 2-3k since it came out.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    1) I think $10 bucks, if my memory serves correctly.

2) Less than $50 total.

3) Depends upon the game.  If it's pushing me constantly, I'm not sticking around.  I'm much more likely to throw a dev a few bones in the cash shop if I feel they aren't primarily focused on it and trying to shove it in my face every chance they get.

DMKano said:
    OP - you need to redefine "whale" - for example:

Spending $10,000 - $15,000 monthly for 14 months straight - that's a whale (real metric from a campany/MMO that I can't disclose)

I think the title was chosen primarily because it was interesting an catchy.  I liked it.  It got me to click on the thread.

• DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    jusomdude said:
    For cash shops total I think my total is probably around $200. I bought a mount and couple pets in WoW. Maybe like $5 in SWTOR, and the rest on ESO crowns.

Spent the most in ESO so far as far as cash shops go.

Game I've spent the most on ever, including box prices and sub fees is definitely WoW... It has to be somewhere around 2-3k since it came out.

3k, not counting box prices, which wouldnt be more than 300ish max, would be 16 years straight of subs.  I think you're over estimating at the 3k end unless you had multiple accounts.  Still tho some silly people dump 10k into in a few months of pay to win games, and ruin normal games by keeping the p2w cash shop model alive.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I treat F2P games like SUB games, and just spend a normal sub fee of 20 a month on whatever I am playing, never had a problem getting whatever I wanted, and I can't imagine what the big spenders must dump their money into.
    MadFrenchie
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I've dropped cash on F2P games - never enough to hit "whale" though. The most was probably Vindictus or Marvel Heroes - maybe $100-200 total on both.

I've spent the most cash period on Everquest - 4 accounts, subs, box fees for expansions... plus a bit of cash on the cash shop for the XP pots to grind out AA... that added up, and when I was playing heavily, it probably averaged to over $100/month over the course of a few years. I regret none of it. Still no where near whaler category, but more than you'd think a typical sub game should cost.
    [Deleted User]
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    $50 - League of Legends (Riot Points)
    Aggregate - Maybe $100? Pretty much only Riot points. 
    5CARLLeTT
    Ungood said:
    I treat F2P games like SUB games, and just spend a normal sub fee of 20 a month on whatever I am playing, never had a problem getting whatever I wanted, and I can't imagine what the big spenders must dump their money into.
    That's not a bad idea, really. :+1:
    UngoodGorwe

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Never more then 200 on a single game. 

Games that come to mind that came close:

Neverwinter
    AA
    TSW
    PoE

I am not a whale, more like a sardine...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2018
    Being a multi boxer and having to pay subs for family members meant at times I would be paying up to $75 a month plus the costs of the base game and expansions.

DAOC, WOW, L2, and EVE all fell into this range at one time or another ranging from 6 months to 3 years in continous subs 

Over time EVE is the game I've spent the most on, entirely on subs fees for the most part. (It used to have a "box" price way back in the day)

I recall dropping a few hundred on Runes of Magic, Earth Eternal in just a month or two after starting which quickly soured me on buying anything (or even playing) 'F2P' games.

Not to mention EE closed its doors 2 weeks after I made my last $100 purchase, too bad I didn't know about chargebacks back then, never have done one but that time I probably would have.

While this initial outlay wasn't unlike WOW or other B2P with sub title games, I could easily see myself regularly spending that amount, if not far more so I called a halt to it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I have. Too ashamed to say how much. Not enough that mental health counseling would be appropriate, but enough that my wife would kick me in the junk if she ever added it all up. 
    KyleranCryomatrixScot

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    LOL like $200 over 5 or so years.

Mabinogi probably like $30 over the $10 sub over a year.  Extra interestingness here since I asked support to delete my account in protest of subscription removal.

Second Life in reverse.   Withdrew $300-400 when I quit after 8 or so months (put $20 in near the start)(went into college books).

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    DMKano said:
    OP - you need to redefine "whale" - for example:

Spending $10,000 - $15,000 monthly for 14 months straight - that's a whale (real metric from a campany/MMO that I can't disclose)

Several years ago I was playing an MMO I also can't disclose, and met a guy who had gotten a $40,000 inheritance when a family member died...and proceeded to spend all of it on the aforementioned MMO.  I mean I could see blowing a little bit of it on a game but I'd have to put him in the "whale" category as well, not so much for the amount itself but for the fact that it most certainly could have been put to better use lol.
    Gorwe
    edited June 2018
    One of the bigger whales I've read about.

"While these items are what you would expect a multi-millionaire to spend his loot on, the US$1.34 million ($1.85m) he spent on in-app purchases for mobile game Game of War come as a surprise."

Unfortunately he stole the money to do it.  :o

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=11767044

I recall when it happened the GoW devs were asked if this sort of spending seemed way out of line and should have raised a red flag.  

They said, not really, they had other big spenders not much lower than this guy.

Weird. 

AmatheGorweZoeMcCloskey

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I refuse to pay more than a company set's it's own product's value for.  If a game is FREE to play... I pay zero, but generally... F2P games do not last for me and I usually skip them.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    I think all I've ever spent outside boxes and subs was about 15€ in Warframe to get some extra slots.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited June 2018
    1. I bought a PLEX in EVE once. I think I also got 100$ of silver in Wurm right before they raised silver prices a long while back. I've paid heavily into Star Citizen but I made it all back and then some. The most expensive was half-in on a 1000$ Idriss that was later sold for 3800$. The most expensive I still own was like 400-500$ on a Carrack. I also had a few hundred in Pathfinder Online but I sold all of that after trying the alpha. No losses there but no substantial profit either. Could have gone for more more profit if I hadn't underestimated how out of touch with reality the community was. Other than that I have 2 of the cheapest Crowfall packages.

2. Released games probably 200$ if you exclude subs and box fees. Kickstarters more around 2000$ if you exclude profits from resales. Less than a thousand if you're only counting what I spent on things I didn't resell.

3. On active games 15$ a month. Maybe 30$ if the game was amazing. For kickstarters it depends on my confidence in the game, how badly I want to see it succeed, how much money I think I could score flipping it and how much disposable cash I have available. If I could go back in time I would have put a lot more money into the original SC kickstarter than I did given the kind of profits I made on it. So keeping an eye out for future opportunities there is no limit to how much I'd put into it. But at the moment I'd cap myself at 1-2k based on what I'm willing to lose for the time being.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    TCG's and i spent too much and a year or so later i regret spending that money because it is NEVER a FAIR price but instead much gouging and greed.

Hearthstone causes great pain because it is called a purchase yet we don't own any of the cards,we cannot sell them as if we owned them.So instead of controlling our purchase and selling the cards for fair value we are forced to dust at LOW value our duplicates,triplicates.
    Even yet more bothersome is how card packs are manipulated/sorted so you only get a set % chance at more valuable cards,so exactly like loot boxes.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

DMKano said:
    Ungood said:

It's in the 1000s per month, the whales are usually 10 times range from big spenders.
    It was more a question of what do they buy, I once spent 100 on a game, because they had a Game Point sale, and it took me 2 months to spend it all, because I could not figure out what I wanted to buy.

What kind of things do these whales spend money on, I mean after a time, they have got to run out of things to they even want to have.

It's easier to understand, if the game is like Trove, for example, where you can speed up the process by buying stuff.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Nothing. Outside of subs and/or box prices I have never spent money on a game otherwise. 
    Knowing how many games you have played that is truly an accomplishment.
    Amathe

• cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    I never spent more than $100 total in a single game beside expansion and subscriptions.

I'm not drawing the line at a specific amount, but at what they try to sell in their cash shop. For instance, when SW:TOR decided to sell UI elements for cash, I immediately stopped playing the game.
    agreed, all of my friends and I also stopped playing the game right after that, you can see they are trying to milk you. I would have bought content, DLC etc, but not UI
    [Deleted User]
    Kyleran said:
    Nothing. Outside of subs and/or box prices I have never spent money on a game otherwise. 
    Knowing how many games you have played that is truly an accomplishment.
    Yes.. but it is like a:

You ran a marathon ! - kind of accomplishment

or a

How did you get the car stuck in the tree ? - kind of accomplishment.
    EldurianKyleran