Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

COE July "Not State of Elyria" Discord update - Very wow

2»

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I just looked at my own KS track record Mar 2015 to Jun 2017. I've backed 6 "successful" projects, 4 of which were MMORPGs (the other 2 were programming related), and so far I've used a grand total of 0 of the 6 so far.

I guess I am (or was) one of the fools Mendel is referring to. :facepalm:

craftseeker
    --------------------------------------------
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I just looked at my own KS track record Mar 2015 to Jun 2017. I've backed 6 "successful" projects, 4 of which were MMORPGs (the other 2 were programming related), and so far I've used a grand total of 0 of the 6 so far.

Interesting, I've backed about 20, many of which have been highly succesful. So far I have regretted 2 or 3, SotA being one of them. The rest have been amazing and/or bargains, KS has been quite awesome for me, guess I got that Quality Radar working properly  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Wellspring
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited June 2018

I'd be interested in knowing what 4 KSer funded MMORPGs have even launched much less be considered successful by most measures.

(Outside of the doors are still open.)

I can think of SotA, Albion Online and if one really stretches the heck out of the KSer / MMO definitions, Elite Dangerous, none of which I consider really successful. 

craftseeker

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

I'd be interested in knowing what 4 KSer funded MMORPGs have even launched much less be considered successful by most measures.

(Outside of the doors are still open.)

I can think of SotA, Albion Online and if one really stretches the heck out of the KSer / MMO definitions, Elite Dangerous, none of which I consider really successful. 

I put successful in quotes, because that's how Kickstarter labeled them on my account page. Successful just means they successfully funded, as opposed to projects that failed to reach the KS goal. 

0 of the 4 MMORPGs I've backed have launched yet. But all are still in active development, so there's hope. 
    lahnmir said:

Interesting, I've backed about 20, many of which have been highly succesful. So far I have regretted 2 or 3, SotA being one of them. The rest have been amazing and/or bargains, KS has been quite awesome for me, guess I got that Quality Radar working properly  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    That's good to hear! Next time I'm tempted to do another KS, I'll run it by you first :wink:
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    so what are we looking at here? 2 more years?
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    DrunkWolf said:
    Possibly...  For VoxElyria. :D 
    Wellspring

DrunkWolf said:
    What do you guys think the odds are that they will announce VoxElyria has been scrapped, just like their use of SpatialOS?

It always seemed like a lot of extra work to create voxel throw away content, just so they can test their server backend sooner. 
    MadFrenchie
    edited June 2018
    DrunkWolf said:
    What do you guys think the odds are that they will announce VoxElyria has been scrapped, just like their use of SpatialOS?

It always seemed like a lot of extra work to create voxel throw away content, just so they can test their server backend sooner. 
    It's very possible.  Weren't they originally planning a MUD prior to Vox?

These guys are the closest KS project I've seen to straight up obviously and knowingly lying about their purported timeline.  I honestly feel as if there's a legal case to be made that their originally pitched timeline was grossly misleading to potential backers.  This isn't just a "oh, software development, what can ya do????" level of terrible.  It's more than that.
    Gdemami

• OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Whens their next promotional sale, i want to buy a bikini chainmail to help fund this wonderful project
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    That's good to hear! Next time I'm tempted to do another KS, I'll run it by you first :wink:
    Crowdfunding Consultant, I see a new career ahead of me!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    KyleranWellspring

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Clearly you are a Harbinger....of Success 

B)
    lahnmirWellspring

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

B)
    Elephant in the room though, @lahnmir did you back the CoE KS?
    Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

B)
    Mwhahahahahaha, hell no.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    WellspringMadFrenchie

lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    You should do a Kickstarter to start a Crowdfunding Consultant firm!
    Kyleran

lahnmir said:
    Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

B)
    Mwhahahahahaha, hell no.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    That's a wrap, COE is clearly doomed.

;)
    Wellspringlahnmir

lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    You should do a Kickstarter to start a Crowdfunding Consultant firm!
    Great idea! I should make it my first case too, that way I can redirect customers to help fund it and at the same time show them how right I am by achieving my financial goals AND theirs! No cure no pay, I can't lose!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    KyleranMadFrenchie

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    My earlier point was that I had assumed this project would have dried up and shut down a long time ago. The fact that they still have lights on, means they have exceeded my earlier expectations (given what those expectations were, it wasn't really hard to do). But for the record, I have not changed my stance. There isn't and never will be a COE.....or if by chance there is ever a game released with the title COE, it won't resemble this proposed game.
    MadFrenchieGdemami